Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Daughters of Hesperia - An Amazon Challenge Inspired Story (Rebooted)

Comments

• lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Glauce (1.18)

Introducing two more characters...
    My Choice (1.19)

Meda makes a difficult decision.
    As Time Goes By (1.20)

Time begins to move forward for the tribe.
  • MrsRacooneyMrsRacooney Posts: 2,091 Member
    Oh man, seems I missed a whole lot this time :D Life got the better of me... All the nicer it is to read a few chapters at once now!
    1.15: Uh-oh. I'm a little afraid of what Molpe might have done by allowing Diana into her tribe. Is there such a thing as "being forced by honor to protect your tribal sisters at all costs"? If so, and if Diana is not what Polgara thinks or has indeed stolen the dress (or maybe more), that could prove difficult for the Hesperians.
    1.16: Ha! Well, that was sooner than expected. So Diana is a princess... Someone will surely come after her to get her back or punish her, whatever it was she did. I begin to suspect that it has to do with her "poor lover". The problem might be Marcella :s Btw, what a nice touch that the Amazon language is Artemisian :p Truly fitting for a people of women! Oh, and I don't think Diana has lost everything. She gained at least one friend in Polgara!
    1.17: I'm still wondering if this is the right decision. When do they expect the war? If it's still a few years, it might indeed be wise to have the children now. If it's two years or less, maybe it wouldn't be the right time. They would be stuck with a ton of toddlers and babies to defend. Plus if they intend to do it all at the same time, there won't be anyone to protect the tribe if they are attacked in the meantime. I feel like at least one of them should be able to fight properly?
    1.18: What a pitiful performance, Glauce. You go against the proclaimed will of your goddess and try to blame a slave? Lol what. Truly pitiful. I'm sure all of your tribe members are either laughing their heads off over your or are ashamed to have been in the same tribe as you.
    1.19: What. In. The. World. Perseus seems wayyy too much into Meda :joy: Good for him, and her, I guess.
    1.20: "You cannot trob me" will be my favorite saying from now on :joy: It's good Anikka learns so fast, and not only language but also the cultural aspects it carries. Good thing they have Diana now!
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    edited November 2021
    @MrsRacooney

I'm so glad that you're back! Yes, as someone who studied Class Civ, I was always really taken with Artemisia, queen of Halicarnassus - or at least what we studied of her. So, let me get to answering your questions under this spoiler...

First off, yes, Diana is a princess, and Marcella is why she left - or rather, Marcella's father is why she left. More on that later, obviously, but Diana will have to adjust to being on the same level as the rest of the tribe bar Molpe and Anikka. She does have a friend in Polgara, but Polgara does treat her as she does the children, because Diana isn't a warrior.

The war is not expected to reach them in any way for a few years, but it's not the war they're worried about, but the supply lines. Their supplies outside of their own harvests come from Frankish merchants, which could be impacted by war. They're too far away from the war's supposed allies to actually be impacted, and the tribe is too remote to be pulled in - Sirena might be pulled in but they can weather a war, whereas supply issues could spell doom for Hesperia.

Glauce definitely has some issues, and unfortunately, is marooned to boot, but yeah, this isn't some blessing in disguise like she thinks. Theodon and she are stuck with each other at least for now.

Perseus hasn't really learned his lesson, unfortunately, being raised in the world of courtly love. His flirting is a reference to the sort of courtly love that would have been present at the time, and while it doesn't really translate well for the Amazons, Meda is fond of him, so this is a hard decision for her. To be quite frank, he genuinely thought his father or his father's wife would kill him to prevent any inheritance issues, so he's kind of made his peace with death, although obviously that shouldn't have been the case.

Diana will, as time goes by, become a huge asset for the tribe when it comes to learning Frankish. Even Polgara is getting to practice more, and she's quite fluent.

Callianassa (1.21)

An update from Glauce and Theodon.
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Oooh, exciting! Something new to read!

It’s always great reading the lore of all the various different Amazon stories. I’ve been meaning to get back into writing mine, but kept getting sidetracked (I’m like a corby and easily distract— … ooh shiny! :D)

I did kick my imagination into gear though and am finishing up finalizing Henford-on-Bagley to write again though starting in the new year (only a few days!) Third time’s the charm. 🤞🏻
    @Haflinger

Glad that you are enjoying it! Here's to your finalising, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it!
  • Technic__Technic__ Posts: 3 New Member
    Such a great story!
    @Technic__

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

@Sims4MagicalTales

Thank you for reading!
    Marcella of Hesperia (1.25)

A typical day in the life of Marcella.
    Yes! Updates! I saw them yesterday and saved them for coffee time today, hehe! :relieved:
    1.22: I was kind of confused who Marcella was because my mind kind of thought that Diana was still pregnant, but then I remembered. I guess you update too seldomly :grimace: They got so many kiddos in the last time! I'm excited to meet all of them and see how they will change the tribe
    1.23: Odysseus has been waiting since they got up, just to hug his mom? Oh my heart! :bawling::heartbreak: I can't. That sweet little boy! And he plays with Marcella... Oh my goodness. Children. I love them.
    Btw, I have a question. Which culture in the real world would match your Amazons roughly?
    1.24 Aaah, Gorgophone. What a terrible but also suitable name for an Amazon. Is it mean that I hate and like those Greek names at the same time? I wouldn't ever name my kid like that but for the characters, they are perfect 😂 Anyway, a good name for a warrioress.
    1.25 Lolol, Marcella may not know what she will one day become but for sure, we already have a suspicion.
    Ew, marrying a king? What a nightmare 😂 I feel like Diana did a good job hiding her own story in a tale worth telling some Amazons. I don't know if I'm saying that because the story already established that or if it's my own idea, but Diana probably was a princess. When she told us about going about in the gardens - only rich people would have a garden. And now this story... I feel like she wants to tell Marcella something, make her understand. It's a pity Marcella didn't get the hint, but then again, she's still quite young.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    @MrsRacooney

I always adore your comments, and I'll go through them now! They're always so well thought out!

1.22 - Diana arrived with Marcella, and yes, there are quite a lot of kiddos at the moment. I'm hoping that the tribe will be able to rely on them well, and I think you'll enjoy how things progress. The tribe is going to have quite a few characters, so I'm thinking of making a cast list at some point.
    1.23 - They're adorable! I'm really enjoying having a separate household for the Provider and kids, because it gives the palace and royal family a very separate feel. As for which culture, I'm not quite sure. I draw on Ancient Greece a bit, especially with naming conventions, but they're actually a fictional empire called the Artemisians, named after both Artemis and Queen Artemisia of Halicarnassus. They're kind of their own thing to be fair, but I'm trying to blend them into an ancient world around the time of the Frankish Empire. (Probably unsuccessfully, but then this is for fun.)
    1.24 - Gorgophone was one of the two daughters of Perseus and Andromeda, according to Wikipedia. I'm not wild about the name either, but I figured I might as well stick with the theme I ended up going with, and I've got a little book of names to go with for future kids, too. I don't see Meda having more children, though. I think she really cared for Perseus.
    1.25 - Obviously I'm dropping some pretty big hints in the story, but yes, Diana does come from a rich family at least, and is trying to put things in a way Marcella would be able to understand. Your suspicions are most likely spot on!
    Getting caught up here too
    Btw, I have a question. Which culture in the real world would match your Amazons roughly?
    1.24 Aaah, Gorgophone. What a terrible but also suitable name for an Amazon. Is it mean that I hate and like those Greek names at the same time? I wouldn't ever name my kid like that but for the characters, they are perfect 😂 Anyway, a good name for a warrioress.

Ha! There’s definitely a love/hate thing going on with Ancient Greek names. It’s like they sound impressive, but they sound terrible at the same time. And Gorgophone is like “Gorgon Voice/Sound” which is an awful name to saddle a kid with, but maybe it’s one of those things they have to grow into.

And it almost seems like more guy bragging rights about “hey Honey, remember that time I told you about killing that ‘monster snake lady’. Our new baby sounds just like that” (yeah, we’re on to you, Perseus, son of Zeus)

Rah for Amazons though! I’ve been on an extracurricular recreational reading kick lately about women in Greek mythology and history. I’m not totally crazy about Emily R King based off her Hundredth Queen books, but Wings of Fury and Crown of Cinders was quite good (about time Hera got the spotlight, dangnabit). I loved Circe and just finished Jennifer Saint’s Ariadne which didn’t quite have the same punchiness as Circe, but was a lovely read. Now to wind my way back to Song of Achilles. Slowly.
    Haflinger wrote: »

Rah for Amazons though! I’ve been on an extracurricular recreational reading kick lately about women in Greek mythology and history. I’m not totally crazy about Emily R King based off her Hundredth Queen books, but Wings of Fury and Crown of Cinders was quite good (about time Hera got the spotlight, dangnabit). I loved Circe and just finished Jennifer Saint’s Ariadne which didn’t quite have the same punchiness as Circe, but was a lovely read. Now to wind my way back to Song of Achilles. Slowly.

I also read Ariadne! I enjoyed it immensely, with the two narratives it had going on. I've loaned it out, even, because I really enjoyed it, although I haven't read Circe. I'm guessing it's definitely a good one. And even if I haven't read Wings of Fury or Crown of Cinders, I agree that Hera deserves the spotlight. I really enjoyed the mystical elements in Ariadne, though, and the way the myth of the minotaur was handled.

Thank you for reading!

I also read Ariadne! I enjoyed it immensely, with the two narratives it had going on. I've loaned it out, even, because I really enjoyed it, although I haven't read Circe. I'm guessing it's definitely a good one. And even if I haven't read Wings of Fury or Crown of Cinders, I agree that Hera deserves the spotlight. I really enjoyed the mystical elements in Ariadne, though, and the way the myth of the minotaur was handled.

Thank you for reading!

I think you'd like Circe. It was enjoyable and well written, with good characters. I enjoyed reading Ariadne as well. I think books like that are different from some of the other books I've read before. I love The Firebrand and always will, but MZB went into it with the same persistence as she did the Mists of Avalon and really leaned heavily on the Man=BAD trope (... I mean, she's not exactly wrong, but ...) I liked how Ariadne was written, it really made me feel more connected towards the protagonist rather than want to smack her every so often like I wanted to do with Kassandra.

I think you'd like Circe. It was enjoyable and well written, with good characters. I enjoyed reading Ariadne as well. I think books like that are different from some of the other books I've read before. I love The Firebrand and always will, but MZB went into it with the same persistence as she did the Mists of Avalon and really leaned heavily on the Man=BAD trope (... I mean, she's not exactly wrong, but ...) I liked how Ariadne was written, it really made me feel more connected towards the protagonist rather than want to smack her every so often like I wanted to do with Kassandra.

I'll definitely give it a go. I really liked how it was blatantly made clear that it was society/the gods' tendencies at fault, and that Dionysus could empathise with that due to his mother.
    Callianassa of Ogygia (1.26)

A very different perspective.
    edited May 2022
    1.23 - They're adorable! I'm really enjoying having a separate household for the Provider and kids, because it gives the palace and royal family a very separate feel. As for which culture, I'm not quite sure. I draw on Ancient Greece a bit, especially with naming conventions, but they're actually a fictional empire called the Artemisians, named after both Artemis and Queen Artemisia of Halicarnassus. They're kind of their own thing to be fair, but I'm trying to blend them into an ancient world around the time of the Frankish Empire. (Probably unsuccessfully, but then this is for fun.)

Well, I wouldn't say it's unsuccessful. There have been enough mentions of the neighboring tribes and cities to pick up that they speak Frankish and are of said culture, so... It was also clear that the Artemisians aren't "just" Greeks, I was just curious on how much different cultures have influenced you in their making.

I don't see Meda having more children, though. I think she really cared for Perseus.

I mean, she has a daughter already so she can just as well stop shrugs Her duty is fulfilled
    It’s like they sound impressive, but they sound terrible at the same time. And Gorgophone is like “Gorgon Voice/Sound” which is an awful name to saddle a kid with, but maybe it’s one of those things they have to grow into.

And it almost seems like more guy bragging rights about “hey Honey, remember that time I told you about killing that ‘monster snake lady’. Our new baby sounds just like that” (yeah, we’re on to you, Perseus, son of Zeus)

Lol yeah, that is just so true 😂 Perseus be like "she has a really strong voice, I am so proud of her. Let's name her after that female monster I slew"

One day, I will have to ask a Greek mythology reading list. Song of Achilleus was amazing and Circe is next, but I haven't even heard about Ariadne until now. Will have to read that, too

And now, the chapter!

Different indeed. Poor Nassa, I wonder why her mother (whose name I forgot, oh well, not that she matters glares at her) hasn't decided yet that Calypso will inherit the "throne" instead. She likes her better anyway. I'm glad Nassa doesn't let it out on her sister, that would be the only thing that would make her situation worse. But that is what I can easily see in her future, when her mother still treats Calypso better.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Different indeed. Poor Nassa, I wonder why her mother (whose name I forgot, oh well, not that she matters glares at her) hasn't decided yet that Calypso will inherit the "throne" instead. She likes her better anyway. I'm glad Nassa doesn't let it out on her sister, that would be the only thing that would make her situation worse. But that is what I can easily see in her future, when her mother still treats Calypso better.

The firstborn will always be the heiress in my game, even if they're not the favourite child. Callianassa is determined to be better than her mother, but it's still hard when you're in a situation like that.