Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Occult Thoughts and Ramblings

When vampires were released in 2017, they received plenty of acclaim for their balance, nuanced gameplay, and customisability (alongside the Victorian and Gothic-styled assets they came with). Yet over time those who enjoyed occults throughout the franchise began to gaze at the others on offer with critical eyes--vampires had set the bar high, and there would be no climbing over it.

When the issue of occults (be they new or old) comes up, one can pretty much cite the usual argument:
  • "[Insert occult here] needs a skill tree like vampires."
Here's the thing about vampires- their lore is varied and extensive. The perk system they were shipped with was perfect for them because other than "good vampire" (doesn't feed live) and "bad vampire" (feeds live), there are no specific "paths" they go down. You kill, or you don't. In a teen-rated game with no direct murder, it's more that "you feed live, or you don't." In most instances of lore, those who feed live are more powerful, as shown by the fact that vampires who do so in TS4 gain ranking XP (and other benefits), as opposed to those who opt for elsewise. Every other aspect of lore is strewn about in the various aspects of the gameplay, from 'Insatiable Hunger' (blood addiction) to losing one's temper and showing one's true form (Enraged transformation). The perks and weaknesses worked because it didn't adhere to one specific "path", and incorporated known qualities to help craft one's own amalgamated vampiric lore. Vampires are vague, unliving predators. Everything else is up to you.

Then came Spellcasters, and whilst the vision was clear, the mechanics didn't serve it well. Magic is a varied system of control or request of the forces around one, and whilst that is shown in the fact that casters can alter, command, or conjure things around them (with limited control over others), the perks and spells truly did not tap into the essence of what a magic-user is, but rather what the game's existing mechanics were. Where vampires had a purpose of "survive and dominate", Spellcasters were saddled with the purpose of "make life easier and play a few tricks". Where their perk system could've been specially tailored to them, they were instead given a frankenstein's monster of an amalgamation between Celebrities and Vampires. Celebrities could be said to have had benefits to make life easier for them, and whilst true, the point was that they had worked to earn those liberties, whilst paying the price of control over their lives. The more famous one became, the less privacy, emotional stability, and morality one retained. Cost. Purpose. The work needed to get there, and still having disadvantages at the end (which creates viable replay in circumventing those through experience, or working with them). Every perk made life easier for a caster, with the left-hand panel being a poor Celebrity equivalent, whilst the right-hand emulated the push-button system for vampires. Every last one summed up to "makes [insert thing here] easier/obsolete".

Here's the thing- I see where this could've gone right. The purpose of a caster should've been to "acquire knowledge and guide others", which it clearly seemed to have in its underline, given the presence of the sages, as well as the spell to bestow magic upon another. The problem is that the Sages are disconnected from the caster, taking up a spot the caster should aspire to, whilst there is little cost for the powers acquired (the spells themselves deserve an entire post all their own). It doesn't get easier for a vampire to acquire all powers at their apex. In fact, a vampire has one less avenue to gain xp once they've hit Grand Master. Sure, they've stopped taking weaknesses, but go through no less of the same trials (thirst, energy, grinding for xp)...they just have more to play around with in order to get around those creatively. Casters simply plow through every issue, no imagination needed. The "trees" seemed to lead to a war mage, herbalist, and sage, but given there's no real need for a "war mage", that path could instead be more of a self-benefiting mage- a knowledge gatherer.
  • Imagine a sage path wherein one develops teaching skills per perk, eventually taking over for whichever sage's magical school they most have an affinity for, but their prowess is at the cost of their duty to keeping the realm intact, perhaps needing to give some part of themself to the Realm, at the detriment of their external life.
  • Imagine a herbalist path wherein one is significantly less mystically adept (perhaps failing far more often, and more susceptible to random effects), but can (with some gameplay work involved) clone the effects of items (and flavours of foods/drinks) and bottle them, with each needing a randomly-generated set of ingredients to re-make, but selling for a tidy sum.
  • Imagine a self-benefitting path with passive abilities benefitting one's life, study, and spellcasting, but at the detriments of not only being disadvantaged in the Magic Realm (in an ideal world wherein the Realm is much more valuable to their pursuits), whilst also drawing negative attention when using one's magic outside of one's home, and having other spellcasters (of varying skill) target one (this is just me spitballing, so obviously there could be more detrimental, and less annoying, disadvantages).
As for the push-button options, they could have been replaced with "affinity perks" (perks that would only be selectable if one had an "affinity" for a spell school), opening up unique spells and abilities that have some detriment to their usage, or a random curse tied to them which activates upon spell failure. Of course, this would need a good spell system, as well as a worthwhile Magic Realm experience, but it'd be a start.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk Ghosts, Aliens, Plantsims, and Merfolk.

Right away, there are a few issues with perk/ability trees for them:
  • Merfolk don't have many serviceable powers in lore (those that would work with the type of game we're talking about).
  • Aliens are too broad in scope in reality, meaning they're at-risk of overtaking other occults, and are too vague a concept outside of TS lore.
  • Ghosts are functionally the same, with perhaps one or two unique abilities per death type.
  • Plantsims are too limited in their purview.

First, let's tackle Aliens, since I believe their issues are the easiest to remedy.
The purview of aliens within TS lore was somewhat overtaken by Scientists in GTW. Aliens (Sixamites) are a race with few powers, perhaps, but vast scientific potential. From their tampering with genetics, to their technological prowess, instead of a perk tree, they should simply be scientists. By that, I mean everything scientists have the potential to discover, one should've had the ability to do (with some variations) as an alien.
  • Simrays that go beyond the scope of what scientists can create.
  • A cloning device with age and genetic modifications.
  • A wormhole that can travel anywhere.
  • A gyroscope that hypnotizes sims that stare at it, making them susceptible to commands.
  • A hover lamp that creates holograms and works as a tv, radio, and computer (spitballing, remember?).
Let's go even further.
  • Their transmutation power should have the same ability as the SimRay's "transform" function.
  • Their mind-reading should tell them everything about a sim and even reveal their relationships, or simply make it telepathy as a whole, from mind-reading to talking to a sim long-distance, hacking their dreams, etc.
  • Their disguise power should be able to copy the form, voice, and clothing of a sim, giving them true shape-shifting capabilities.
  • Their Empathy power should link them with another sim, copying all of their buffs for a time (even updating as they get new ones), and/or completely control their emotions.
  • Their memory erasure should be targeted, allowing the alien sim to erase relationships of their choosing, whether between just the alien and the target, or the target and someone else.
  • On top of all that, their "Brain Power" should be their energy need.
Aliens don't need a perk system, just more versatile powers (otherwise we end up with [insert perk to make [insert thing here] more successful] and of course some backfires/failures for both their abilities, and their gadgets.

Ghosts are up next because I believe they should've been used (instead of spectres) in Paranormal. Still, this is one occult I believe could use a perk system. From a possession-based tree, to an energy-absorption tree, this occult would only need maybe two branches at most. At first, a ghost can only inhabit objects, scaring the daylights out of anyone who sees (which they already do). Over time, they can then break/repair said objects (which, again, they can do). Then they can possess people, but only for a short amount of time, and only to cause them a certain emotion. Then they can possess them and drain their needs (which would cross with the absorption tree). Then they can possess them and convince them to do certain things. Then they can shift the possessed sim to the active household and control them (with some extra interactions and passives, like only seeing the ghost in the mirror). Finally, they can obtain new abilities through dying whilst inside of a host (meaning one ghost can obtain the abilities other ghosts have per death type). I mean if one can have aspirations related to death in the basegame already, one can surely have an objective to die as another sim. The other tree would be absorption. This would start out with absorbing random minor buffs, to needs (even from inanimate objects), to flat out absorbing other ghosts for their powers, to books and objects for skills, to sims' lifespans to bring them back to life for a time. The detriments? Willful essences would reverse the absorptions or the benefits might sometimes slip away, and possessed sims may take back their forms, trapping ghosts within them for a time (leaving them unselectable) or they might lose their sense of self and have random attributes changed to match their host.

Next up: Merfolk.
No perk tree. The lore is too less power-focused, and most certainly not for the type of game we're playing. There's actually really no need for one, anyway, given all that needs to be done is for merfolk to have different little "nods" to their greater lore throughout the game and across packs. Plus more customisation (seriously). Hydro-, thermo-, and atmokinesis don't need to be grandiose displays of power, just present where it makes sense, and things like gaining scales when wet from rain or if hit with drinks (the mean interaction) would be cute little details. For actual powers, siren songs are fine, but need more power (perhaps tied to mood, if not the singing skill). To be fair, it's only hard to come up with things for merfolk (outside of little details) because in general their purpose has always been to either live out of water as long as possible, or terrorise others whilst at sea. They could also be great fortune-tellers, acting like walking future cubes, have their own means to travel from world to world through bodies of water, and the ability to fish by simply reaching into the water by the fishing signs. Yeah, my ideas aren't exactly the "world's most interesting overhaul of merfolk", but I'd argue that instead of tacking on an ill-fashioned perk tree, they should instead be enhanced by their relationship with water (even whilst outside of it), treating it like a friend or pet they call upon to help make life a bit more fun.

As for Plantsims, the issue is similar to merfolk, but their abilities work better, given nature is all around them. Again, perk trees aren't necessary. Bring back their past interactions and abilities, then tie them in with the gardening system and a few extra world interactions, and boom! you've Plantsims that are worth playing. I mean, the bar is low here. So low, you'd have to drill beneath the earth to cross under it. Literally anything would be better than the slapdash green sims we got in that..."event" (who came up with that? I just want to talk). \

This was just me thought-vomiting. I've had a lot to say and ruminate on, I'm tired (so some things may be added onto when I'm in a more alert state of mind), and thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).

Comments

• haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Very interesting thread! I'm just going to comment on ghosts and merfolk.

The perks you described would make ghosts much more interesting to play. I recently played a couple of ghosts and the ghost interactions 'scare' and 'pass through' are fun and I wish there was more to them. Murphy bed ghosts' ability to posses sims and drain their energy is super cool too and my favourite. I wouldn't mind if the other ghosts could do something similar as long as Murphy bed ghosts would still have some special thing. I really like the different types of ghosts we have and their small abilities, because those make them more individual.

I have wanted merfolk to have their own perk tree, because then it's possible to personalise them more and kind of show how weak or strong they are depending on what they can do and how many powers they have. Still I kind of agree with your point too that they could all have equal powers and they'd just need more details and abilities. I think I'd be fine with that too, as long as they got more depth. I really like the little details you described.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2021
    haisin wrote: »
    Very interesting thread! I'm just going to comment on ghosts and merfolk.

The perks you described would make ghosts much more interesting to play. I recently played a couple of ghosts and the ghost interactions 'scare' and 'pass through' are fun and I wish there was more to them. Murphy bed ghosts' ability to posses sims and drain their energy is super cool too and my favourite. I wouldn't mind if the other ghosts could do something similar as long as Murphy bed ghosts would still have some special thing. I really like the different types of ghosts we have and their small abilities, because those make them more individual.

I have wanted merfolk to have their own perk tree, because then it's possible to personalise them more and kind of show how weak or strong they are depending on what they can do and how many powers they have. Still I kind of agree with your point too that they could all have equal powers and they'd just need more details and abilities. I think I'd be fine with that too, as long as they got more depth. I really like the little details you described.
    @haisin
    Thank you for reading through and sharing your thoughts.

To give them worthwhile powers and perks...you'd have to think outside of the box and make up new lore, whilst making sure not to retread the same grounds too many times. Those are the reasons I instead decided to focus more on the gameplay than the powers. On top of all that, most of their abilities would require Seasons to be more versatile, so there had to be some pay-off for those without it. In my mind, mer are just people with an affinity for water...so...water-benders, essentially.

I feel if they were limited to perks, it'd either be power-creep or unlocking pieces of a puzzle, which would still have the side-issue of being linear, but to be fair, I'll try to picture them like vampires:
    They'd start out with no clear advantages besides being able to sleep in water, and a slightly faster swim. One could unlock weather control, storm summoning, the ability to communicate with fish and other sealife (for various benefits), the ability to freeze water (to the point of freezing others), the ability to heat it (to the point of creating fires), Siren songs, faster swim speed, and fortune-telling (one could use one's imagination to figure out how that'd work gameplay-wise). Maybe a couple of perks to better acclimate to the water: diving for longer (3 ranks), the ability to catch fish with just a hand, decreased aging speed (3 ranks), Sleep-bubble (added sleeping benefits in water).

Then of course one could have weaknesses such as drying out faster whilst on land, addiction to water, fishy smell, intermittent fear of the future (from being able to see it), consistent pain in one's legs whilst using them, lost voice (temporarily) if [insert condition here] which causes fear to the mer and annoyance to other sims, and an inability to sleep soundly without being in water.

If I were to picture them like Spellcasters, with their powers all being available, but their perks giving various boons, then it would require more outside thinking to make them more powerful in certain regards, but not overly so, balancing each new power-up with a worthwhile detriment. Perhaps the faster swim speed is a perk attributed to an "aquatic affinity" tree, whilst something like siren songs and controlling the weather would be tied to a "siren" tree. The problem is that "trees" tend to limit uniqueness, so if I'm being honest, I'd be more apt to go the Vampires route.

Yet again, it sort of retreads old ground in some respects (but I mean what doesn't in this game?) and the lack of lore-based powers stunts things somewhat (when compared to vampires), but I guess if a combination of vampire-esque perks and little details were to both be present, it would be satisfactory. Perhaps each unlocked power would contribute to unlocked details around the game, with enough (hydrokinesis-based) to start with off-the-bat.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,377 Member
    Maybe merfolk could be affected by water quality? If their natural habitat is the sea, then chlorinated pool water is not ideal, and they could develop skin issues, or their tail colours would fade or something. Mermaids should be able to have dolphins as pets, play with them, swim with them, give them fish treats. Would be nice if they could bring little treasures from the deep, things they find from sunken ships or rare shells only they could find. I love the shells in the game, wish they were more showy.