Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is Autonomy?

What if i turned on or off autonomy? My sims will not do anything until i interact it?

Comments

• ren_sibal123ren_sibal123 Posts: 86 Member
    Because if this work, i will turned off it to stop my sims auto interactions while i'm deciding an interaction on it
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    There are two options. Autonomy on an off for all played Sims. Or check the box to have it that a selected Sim will go "stupid" with autonomy off so you can play him or her like single-player.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    edited August 2021
    Rather than turn off autonomy, why not just hit the pause button while you set up interactions for the desired Sim? This is how I play, as my grown daughter taught me. (Although, she never had autonomy on. Talk about a control-freak, that one.) It's a very useful tool, said PAUSE button. Not all games come with it. It's ingenious. I recall from Sims2, that if autonomy was shut off the Sim would end up standing, staring at a wall instead of using the toilet they so desperately needed. I haven't checked that out in Sims4.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    What if i turned on or off autonomy? My sims will not do anything until i interact it?

Autonomy on = all played sims in a household will queue up their own interactions and and go about their business without your interaction and you many have to cancel queued actions on the sim you’re actively playing to get them to do an action you chose.

Autonomy off= no sims in a played household will do anything unless you queue up the action for them. They will literally just stand around until you tell them what to do.

Autonomy on (active sim only)= all sims in the household will perform auto-queued actions on their own except the sim you choose to actively play. They will only perform the action you select for them.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    I hate autonomy for my sims
    and i always have since ts1
    played with 0 autonomy

what it does is disable your sims from obsessively wanting to do dumb unneeded stuff like browse internet instead of doing what you asked them to

don't understand how other players cope with their sims acting like rebellious teenager when ur just tryna get them to use toilet before their bladder fails but yeah i much rather go and choose my sims actions without interference
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I almost always play with autonamy on, since my Sims finds ways of improving the stories I planned. I love when they suprise me
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I have autonomy on for all sims. I do run a tight ship, though, and do what GalacticGal do: use Pause constantly. I always have a finger on the P-button, so that I can catch any wild running sim from Doing Stupid. Like always heading for the nearest stereo to dance. None of them can dance (even with full skill). So I'd rather not watch it. Its also rather useless. And that's why I always give them something more useful to do, by pausing and queuing up stuff.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Autonomy off is not "Sims do nothing at all". I wish it was, but it isn't.

Even with autonomy off sims will:
    - Take care of their needs if the motive bar is red
    - Choose what to say and do in a conversation (this is based on their current emotion and, yes, it includes woohoo in bed, although it is rare)

- Wash their hands after toilet
    - Watch other sims play soccer or with a toddler
    - Watch their toddler in the ocean
    - Put out fires (iirc they used to just flee, but now they autonomously extinguish fires)
    - Drop everything to "check on toddler" what basically means picking the poor thing up and then down again
    - Scold toddlers for tossing food in the highchair
    - And more that I cannot think about on top of my head
  • SadiesueSadiesue Posts: 128 Member
    I turn it on and off throughout the game. Just depends on what I’m trying to have my household accomplish. Like skills or tasks for their careers. (Yes, I know that filling out reports isn’t fun but do it anyway) Also birthdays. It’s very irritating when mom or dad adds the candles and just when junior goes to blow out the candles, they all go off to dance. Celebrate that poor kids birthday! Geez.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Sadiesue wrote: »
    I turn it on and off throughout the game. Just depends on what I’m trying to have my household accomplish. Like skills or tasks for their careers. (Yes, I know that filling out reports isn’t fun but do it anyway) Also birthdays. It’s very irritating when mom or dad adds the candles and just when junior goes to blow out the candles, they all go off to dance. Celebrate that poor kids birthday! Geez.

I feel that pain! They used to do that in my game too, but then I set all stereos to play classical or talk radio, and they can't dance to those. "Git back here! Ya'll can't dance anyway!" :D For any other autonomous stupidity, I use MCCC's tuner to disable autonomy. I just can't turn off dancing to stereos, because that will totally mess up bars/clubs.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Like others here I just hit the pause button to que up actions. But if you actually take autonomy away, you could miss some really cute actions.

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Pamtastic72 explained it best.
    But the funny thing is I actually play with all autonomy off AND pause🤣🤣 I probably think more than I actually play
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I always play with autonomy on, because 1) it's easy to override their decisions 2) sometimes I want them to do their own thing. Example; if I send a Sim to the club, I don't want to control them the whole time, I want to be able to sit back and watch the (freak) show
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    A blessing and a curse. That's what it is.

I often take cues from what my Sims line up to do on their own, and nearly never interfere when it is an autonomous romantic interaction with their established, beloved partner or spouse because that is cute.

But I will hit Pause as fast as anything to interrupt getting another drink of water or glass of juice. Also, you have better things to do, little sim, than play blickblock when you are tired, hungry and need to pee.

I am a benevolent Watcher, and want my sims to be happy. If a plumbob isn't green as green, something is wrong and I will fix it. But I do interfere to keep my Sims productive. Sing to the birdies? Fine - they eat garden bugs. Rummage in the trash because you are a slob? I don't think so. ;)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    Put out fires (iirc they used to just flee, but now they autonomously extinguish fires)

Oh I hate this one so much. especially when my spellcaster sets things on fire for fun and then immediately auto put it out without my command :triumph:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    Rather than turn off autonomy, why not just hit the pause button while you set up interactions for the desired Sim?
    The 'pause' button is my best friend in this game. I do laugh though.
    Me, "Why are you talking to a plant? You're tiered! Go to bed!"

Peral wrote: »
    I almost always play with autonomy on, since my Sims finds ways of improving the stories I planned. I love when they surprise me
    Being an old-school role-player myself, me too. I never did like "sledge-hammer" plot.
    @Pamtastic72 explained it best.
    But the funny thing is I actually play with all autonomy off AND pause🤣🤣 I probably think more than I actually play
    Probably why you want zombies so much? ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

Autonomy on = all played sims in a household will queue up their own interactions and and go about their business without your interaction and you many have to cancel queued actions on the sim you’re actively playing to get them to do an action you chose.

Autonomy off= no sims in a played household will do anything unless you queue up the action for them. They will literally just stand around until you tell them what to do.

Autonomy on (active sim only)= all sims in the household will perform auto-queued actions on their own except the sim you choose to actively play. They will only perform the action you select for them.

Would you believe I've been playing this game for three years now and never quite fully grasped how that last (active sim only) worked? I'd turned autonomy off completely because I got tired of controlled sims doing dumb things on their own, but ran into the opposite problem of having to babysit, say, Mom and Dad while I worked on guiding the kid through youth/skill development. I completely missed that there's a middle ground there. Thanks!
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
    ... I completely missed that there's a middle ground there. Thanks!

Yes! That middle ground is very useful if you want to have full control of the Sim you have selected, but let everyone else do what's in their queue and/or do what they need/want to do.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png