Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regarding Premades Lore Updates

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    Agree with Sharonia! Better late than never because I've wanted this for a while. I am actually really glad they're making this change because what I loved about TS2 especially was the depth of the family stories and such. It would be much more fun to have more fleshed-out premades, I think it'd make me play different families more often instead of messing about with my favourites. But we'll see what they come up with.
    they/them or she/her
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    First off, I'm happy for those who have wanted this update. We all play differently and it is always great when someone gets something they have always wanted. I don't know what this will do for me, although I am curious to see exactly what this will bring. Heck, maybe this would make me more interested in playing the pre mades, rather than ignoring them. Any ideas for better or richer story making is appreciated.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I just figured they’d be updating their outfits lol
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    First off, I'm happy for those who have wanted this update. We all play differently and it is always great when someone gets something they have always wanted. I don't know what this will do for me, although I am curious to see exactly what this will bring. Heck, maybe this would make me more interested in playing the pre mades, rather than ignoring them. Any ideas for better or richer story making is appreciated.

Very well put!
    I have to say, reading everyone's comments has swayed my opinion a little, and I can see the benefits of this update, especially regarding sentiments and relationships.
    I'll try to keep an open mind. :smile:
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    This update is not really for me. I'm guessing it is to help new players figure out what to do and for those who need more direction in how to play. I don't need every update to be for me so it is fine. I'm too far into my main save and the pre-mades have nearly all died off. I'm also at the stage of ignoring most of them and I have already thought that in any new save I would delete them. I really lean towards continuing my main game though.

If this is mainly for gamechangers, again that's not really for me. Some people do really seem to be into the lore. I mostly ignored it even in the old games.

One thing I'll mention is that I brought back my main TS2 family into my TS4 world and that has been really fun. I made them almost exactly like I made them in TS2 but in our era. It has been really fun. Even though they are a relatively simple family, they are so much fun. I made only minor changes but kept their names, careers, general outfits and basic personalities. I built them a big, boxy house in the suburban part of Oasis Springs. I still like them a lot so I guess they are my own lore. There are a few things that happened in TS2 that will happen again but everything else is filling in the new blanks. It also means that everything that has happened until now was like it was setting up the world for them to join.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I rarely, if ever, play premades. While the lore is interesting, and I do miss it, it never has had any bearing on my own game(s). But, I do know some players (and not just Game Changers) have expressed a wistfulness about the lack of said lore. I would love to see the time, money and effort spent on adding true depth to this game, but it's theirs to spend and EA will do what EA does.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    What exactly is lore? Is it just back stories? I never ever play them. I just let autonomy do its thing.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Probably just outfits, but they should have done this when seasons came out.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    Agree with Sharonia! Better late than never because I've wanted this for a while. I am actually really glad they're making this change because what I loved about TS2 especially was the depth of the family stories and such. It would be much more fun to have more fleshed-out premades, I think it'd make me play different families more often instead of messing about with my favourites. But we'll see what they come up with.

I agree with both of you. Better late than never.

I have noticed lately Maxis is "fluffing out" existing packs. I just read an article on Sims VIP that they will be revamping an existing pack. I say "Bravo!" I much more prefer making existing packs better rather than just pushing more packs out.

Way to go team!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing what they do!
    I'm hoping they add relationships between the different families/sims, Sentiments between different sims, Likes/ Dislikes, etc. Hopefully, they'll also update Cold/ Hot Weather outfits.
    It should add some more life to the Base Game.

I agree with others saying this should have been in the base game to begin with, but I don't think the technology was there in 2014. Better late than never I guess :D
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    Just saw that hadn't looked at VIP in a while, sounds interesting mostly because there was a lot of whining in the beginning sometimes ts4 didn't seem like a sure thing now it's doing better and they can go back and tweak things they haven't stopped making new content there is something for everyone. Good enough for me, not sure how much the "lore" in a game like this will matter to me I play how I want and delete who I want with whatever details entertain me but looking forward to anything different.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I had to google the word lore but I still don't understand. Are they writing background stories for premades? That would be quite a waste of resources. In my game of eternal generations the premades are dead since 2014.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited August 2021
    I agree, it should have been there since the beginning.

However, I think the game was developed so badly, that they didn't have the technology to make them very complex in 2014. There were no Sentiments, no Likes/ Dislikes and no Family Trees. So they could only flesh them out by giving them the boring traits in the base game.

Better late than never, I guess :D
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I am hesitant about how they will go about it. I already fixed the lore the neglected (via mods), so their take may be different from how I interpret it. I suspect, just like everything else, it will be half-baked and not really be help. This significant gameplay feature has been overlooked too long for me to trust them to fix it.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I had to google the word lore but I still don't understand. Are they writing background stories for premades? That would be quite a waste of resources. In my game of eternal generations the premades are dead since 2014.

The orginal lore has been created over multiple iterations of the game. Not sure what they will do, since they claimed this game was an "alternative universe." They basically ignored the background of many sim families that have been with the franchise since the original The Sims and Sims2.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Is there an annoucement for this somewhere?

Anyways i hope they bring back Sims 2 story album or at least a bio feature for every sim so i can make my own lore...
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Is there an annoucement for this somewhere?
    As far as I know only what was in the live stream:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992612/august-3rd-inside-maxis-livestream/p1

And there is a short article on the Sims Community about it:
    https://simscommunity.info/2021/08/03/the-sims-4s-npcs-are-getting-visual-and-lore-updates/
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I for one am really excited for this. I used to be really into the lore in The Sims 2 and 3, maybe this will make me more interested in the Sims 4 pre-mades. I've never had the same kind of attachment to any of them so far.
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2021
    Really? Updating outfits and the description of the household? That's not lore, that's a facelift, at best. The Sims 4 wasn't intended to have premade lore. The whole point of the game is to create your own lore. They have also previously stated that TS4 is an alternate universe. How in the Henford-on-Bagley are they going to explain how Katrina Caliente has risen from the dead and started dating Don Lothario? I just don't see how they can do anything other than give the townies a makeover and maybe edit relationships. Also, why are they going to keep us updated? With the team EA has, and the MINIMAL townies in the game, this really shouldn't take long. I'm not mad, just confused.
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited August 2021
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I much more prefer making existing packs better rather than just pushing more packs out. Way to go team!
    I'm with you on this. I wouldn't mind waiting longer for new packs, if it meant fine-tuning what we already have.

they/them or she/her
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm trying to figure out how to care about the "lore" update, but failing quickly.

I don't care about NPC's. They exist in my game saves.... in the background. I generally don't acknowledge their existence unless one of them decides to kick over my garbage can. Then I light them on fire, and go back to forgetting again they exist.

Which sims' iteration they first debuted in? Who they are married to? Do they have an education? Preferences, etc, etc,...... I-don't-care.

Any/all sims I play in any of my game saves are created from scratch in the CAS. All other sims just get in the way, and are more so than not just a tolerence tester. From showing up at your door to welcome you into the neighborhood, to constantly calling you on the phone, to kicking over your garbage can.... I can most certainly do without them.

I say.... kill them all off and just write a book about them. I'll read it never. lol.

This is likely going to turn into another annoyance with popups like the voting thing (despite having it turned off) constantly telling you about the sims next door.

Congrats to everyone who wants this new update. If it's good for some simmers then fair enough. I like seeing at least some of us win at least some of the time.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I think this update will mostly only make sense to people who frequently start new saves. I play the same save for years so it seems unnecessary to me and kind of weird to do 7 years later. I also feel like we could use more personality tweaks like better romance options for interactions and a variety of relationships recognized by the game before they dive into an NPC update. We also need better negative reactions to enmity and rivalry, otherwise, what's the point? Sims will just hug and wave and make friends on their own eventually and it won't matter.
    #Team Occult
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think this update will mostly only make sense to people who frequently start new saves. I play the same save for years so it seems unnecessary to me and kind of weird to do 7 years later. I also feel like we could use more personality tweaks like better romance options for interactions and a variety of relationships recognized by the game before they dive into an NPC update. We also need better negative reactions to enmity and rivalry, otherwise, what's the point? Sims will just hug and wave and make friends on their own eventually and it won't matter.

The issue with this update, is the same issue with any update like whims, preferences, likes/dislikes.... is that all the sims are on the same road to becoming carbon copies of each other.... making all the updates completely useless.

The likes/dislikes system should have opened the door for individuality for our sims, but despite sims not liking things... they'll still do them. All we got was another "lets change their mood and have them cuss" update.

If one of my sims don't like cooking.... that sim shouldn't cook, either autonomously, or by my direction. They should refuse to cook. This would impose a group of sims with a less comparitive, random list of skills and preferences. Or dare I say it? Individuals.

I don't see how adding lore to the game is going to de-clone the sims from being a carbon copy of the sim next door. As it is.... you only need to play 1 sim to have played them all.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited August 2021
    For me this is a completely pointless update as I don't care about backstories of NPCs. I'd rather have seen the effort going into improving all the sims as a whole because updating their story isn't going to stop them turning up to dumpster dive when they're supposed to be rich snobs or stop Bob Pancakes from doing push ups out on the street.
    Stories are meaningless to me when the sim acts like every other sim.
    That's just me though, glad that people who like those things are getting it updated. Will people be starting new saves to take advantage of the update?
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

The only premades still alive in my game are Rohan Elderberry from Discover University and, of course, the whole cast of Cottage Living.