Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 camera in basements (limited zoom) - advice needed

Hi all,

I recently started playing the Sims again after more than half a year break. After updating all my mods and getting rid of quite a few where I didn't know the status (BUT also play testing this without any mods in the game), I have noticed an issue with the camera view: the sims 3 camera doesn't zoom down as far as it used to, as soon as I play in any of the basement levels.
(The same issue was present with the sims 4 cam, but at least there's a tutorial on how to change those settings).

Now, I KNOW that it used to work because I have screenshots of the same lot from before.

See:
Zz1gq2b.png
This was in the second basement level down, and definitely with Sims 3 camera, because I never use 4.

Now, this is as far as I get:
kuoL2ON.png

With the edits to the camera file (Video Camera), I can use Sims 4 cam to get closer to take photos, but I can't build properly, can't play properly, and it's really annoying me.

Does anybody know a) why this is and b) how to fix it? Is there a camera mod out there that lets you use Sims 3 cam in basements with normal zoom? Or a setting I could apply to one of the camera files?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    I don't have that problem.

I actually use the Sims3 camera pretty well all the time now.

I hate to say this like a tech-support agent, :D but it could be a mod. Have you tried turning off mods and still have the same problem?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    I hate to say this like a tech-support agent, :D but it could be a mod. Have you tried turning off mods and still have the same problem?

Yes, as I wrote above, I playtested it with all mods and cc removed. Same issue.
    Did you try it in a basement level?

Yes, as I wrote above, I playtested it with all mods and cc removed. Same issue.
    Did you try it in a basement level?

Ok cool. B)
    Yes, I use it all the time. And yes in basement levels even 4 levels down sometimes.
    I have noticed the "camera" is more sensitive going up levels or down from the ground level. Even with the "TAB" camera.

Sorry to not be any help. :/
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Yes, I use it all the time. And yes in basement levels even 4 levels down sometimes.
    I have noticed the "camera" is more sensitive going up levels or down from the ground level. Even with the "TAB" camera.

Just so, SO weird that it doesn't work for me.
    But I found a camera mod that fixes it. In case anyone else has that issue:
    https://modthesims.info/d/536953

edited July 2021

Oh! I hate that 'drift' and 'bounciness'!!!
    I may give this mod a try.
    Thanks. B)

EDIT: You wouldn't believe how much I've cursed at the 'bounciness' just today in build mode. lol! :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

Nice find :) Thanks for posting that
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    When you removed your mods did you also delete the file named localthumbcache.package? If you just remove mods, that file keeps some of the settings and will cause all sorts of anomalies.

That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing your issue. You should delete that file anyway just to have a fresh start.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    When you removed your mods did you also delete the file named localthumbcache.package? If you just remove mods, that file keeps some of the settings and will cause all sorts of anomalies.

That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing your issue. You should delete that file anyway just to have a fresh start.

Deleting "localthumbcache.package" will not affect the game? Basically RAM that is saved?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Deleting "localthumbcache.package" will not affect the game? Basically RAM that is saved?

It won't hurt the game. The game will just generate a new one the next time you play. You should always delete it when you add new mods or if you remove them. This file just stores game data so the game can load faster, but deleting mods will make it so the data is obsolete and that might cause problems when playing.

I did, yeah. But with that other mod I downloaded I'm super happy now. It lets me go deeper than before. I can take much better pictures of Sims swimming or of toddlers/pets. So that's even better than it was before, with no mod.