Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unloved: A Sims Story by orenjiAi

Comments

• Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Thanks for the tour of the grounds. I've found that when writing sim lit you need to "cheat" a little bit with locations. I have two separate games with cloned sims in order to achieve the screencaps I need.
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg! I should try that tip. I also use Elia’s save as my gameplay one. It has aging off and built locations of both The Pinnacles and Cavalier Cove neighborhoods. Every other setting are just “stage sets”. On shooting days, the proper cast, time, and season are just conveniently cheated with MCCC. It is not saved after the shots, only when actual gameplay is involved. This is troublesome when I need to retake a picture as I have to redo hair, makeup, and costumes. A cloned save will save me from all this trouble.

P.S. I kind of feel like a movie producer when I’m talking about these things. Lol
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    There is a way to change game lots to be larger than 64x64. It's a little advanced. Not so much modding but actual tweaking of game files. It's relatively safe and you can revert the lot sizes and maintain the tweaked surroundings. Of course you can use the tool mood to achieve the same goal. Just takes a little more work.

If you're interested ill send over a pdf tutorial later when im at the pc.
    Thanks @mercuryfoam! I am interested but for not for this lot. Thanks! :blush:
    This is how the Summer Palace is laid out in my mind.
    EI93nTd.png
    As you can see the follies are sunken into the landscape. In my stage set this is achieved using the platform tool. Thing is, the world terrain cutout ends exactly where the current 64x64 lot is. Even if I did manage to put my garden follies outside the current buildable area, it won’t show a pit coz the world terrain is still there. It’ll just be items sunk into the grass.
    We’re talking about the Winter Palace! Here’s another photoshopped image.
    b6EVowq.png
    Unlike the previous build, this one is built-up from the ground using terrain and foundation tools so it won’t z-fight with the world’s floors. I’ve always wanted a more impressive and fitting rotunda than the one currently at Château Peak (I hate the palm trees lol) so I’d want to be able to plop it somewhere else.

Thanks for the comment @DeafSimmer! I did work hard on it. I was going for photorealistic lighting too.
    Oh btw why’d you reboot your Legend of Zelda? Sorry, I can’t help make that reference. ✌🏽
  • eufleufl Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hello!
    The Sams... I had to laugh a lot. Seems, those groups of mean girls are supposed to be in every good story. I really had fun to read into your thread, and I love those last pictures of your palaces. This winter picture of the Winter Palace - simplay wonderful!
    Post edited by eufl on
    Lol @eufl Hey Carl! You’ve found my story showcase! Thanks for reading Unloved! I’m also glad that you found some parts of the story funny. Yep, it might be cliche but no coming-of-age story is complete without a run in with the popular kids. :sweat_smile:
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    Hi @orenjiAi
    I came across your story by chance today and I still have a lot to catch up on.
    So far I love your photos and admire the great work you have put into creating buildings and environments where your story takes place.
    Hey @MonaSolstraale! Thank you! I hope you’re enjoying the story too! But don’t read too far ahead— I’m kind of a hella slow updater (biweekly) :grimace: If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment and I’ll answer to my best spolier-free capabilities. :smile:
    Unloved 15
    Act 1
    Trigger Warning: Some scenes might not be suitable for younger readers.
    Elia woke up a bit earlier than usual. She checked her bedside clock. It was only eleven minutes past three in the morning. She tossed in her bed in discomfort. She tried to sleep it away but decided she could no longer ignore the growing hunger pangs. She remembered seeing a tin of Windenburg cookies in the hutch the night before. She got up and walked the long hall to sneak into the kitchen and have a snack.

Much to her surprise, there were already lights burning downstairs. She could also hear the noises of food being prepared coming from the kitchen. It was still far too early; usually, Robert would not have been up until two hours later. But maybe he needed more time to prepare breakfast? It was for six people after all and knowing him, it was also probably a Lucky Palms-style eat-all-you-can buffet.
    Tx5GFXg.png

Elia smiled at that little thought. He did have a tendency to overdo things. But she admitted to herself it was truly admirable how far he was willing to go for the Thebes. She knocked at the kitchen door and pushed it open.

“Good morning, my lady,” the young butler greeted.

Elia could not believe what she was seeing. Inside the hot, steamy kitchen, Robert was beating eggs. He wore an apron that had inappropriate humor printed on it. But what made it so unbelievable was he didn’t have a shirt beneath it. His hair was also tousled. And he was sweating lightly which made his thick veiny arms and bare untrimmed chest shine in the candlelight.
    m4q8Qgw.png

“Oh sorry for the mess,” he said, referring to the unwashed dishes and bowls strewn about the island counter. “But I didn’t expect you to be up so early.”
    He set the bowl of eggs down and wiped his hand on his apron.

“Were you hungry? Would my lady want something to eat?” He stepped out from behind the counter and walked towards her. Wait! Did he also not have any pants on?

"R-Robert w-w-what are you—?"

“I have just restocked the pantry yesterday, so I can make anything you want.” He suggested, completely oblivious to Elia's discomfort. "For breakfast, I was thinking of serving meat pies with creamy mashed potatoes. Would my lady like that?"
    SMuLgH6.png

She tried not to look at him as he advanced. She took a step back for every step he took. Soon, she felt the door handle on the small of her back. She prepared to dash outside. But as she swung the door open she ran into Sammy. She crashed into the stone floor falling hard on her knees.

“Sorry, Robert,” Sammy said as she closed the door on the butler. “Elia doesn’t want meat. She likes sweet things.”

Sammy extended her hand to help Elia get up. With one swift pull, she took the fallen teen into her arms. Then took a deep breath and pressed her lips against Elia’s for the second time. They were soft and wet. They tasted a bit like cherries.

odwUWnZ.png

Elia woke up in cold sweat. For real this time. She still felt uncomfortable again but not from hunger. She was still in her pajamas. In the bathtub with a few large towels as makeshift pillows and blanket. Elia stretched her stiff shoulders. She crawled out of the tub and washed her face thoroughly in its tap. Elia hated that last dream she had. It was completely weird and kind of suggestive. She couldn't wait to forget all of it soon.

She blamed it on last night's happenings. She still could not believe it was real.

From out of nowhere, Sammy decided to kiss her. On her lips nonetheless. She pulled away as soon as she realized. Panicked and embarrassed, she ran to the nearest escape route she saw and locked the door behind her. She didn’t even look back to see what Sammy’s reaction was.

Elia cracked open the door of the bathroom and looked into her own room. It was empty. The bedside clock read 7:19. Amy and Mannie were no longer on her bed. They seemed to have woken up and headed for breakfast already. The air mattress too had already been put away. There wasn’t a trace of Sammy in sight.

Elia slipped on a dress and walked into the hallway. She jumped back as she avoided running into Sammy. She really didn't want that dream to come true.
    cva6VSp.png

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” she said with her usual sweet melodic voice. She was carrying a tray of plated eggs and toast. There was also some jam, a coffee cup, and a tall glass of orange juice.
    “I brought you breakfast.”

Sammy nudged the tray at Elia, pushing her back into the bedroom. Elia sat on her bed and Sammy set the tray beside her.

“Eat up!” the blonde teen smiled.

“Why are you doing this?” Elia eyed the breakfast suspiciously.

“It's breakfast. You missed it because you slept in, so now I brought it to you,” Sammy said innocently.

“Why are you acting so weird, Sammy?” Elia accused.

“Weird?” Sammy denied. “It’s just breakfast. There’s really nothing more to that.”

Elia couldn’t believe the girl standing in front of her. Did she not remember what happened last night? She’ll never forget it. It was her first kiss. But could Sammy really have forgotten? Maybe she was that type that just held her liquor well at dinner but eventually lost it at the end.

“Or are you perhaps talking about the kiss we shared at the end of last night?” Sammy teased.
    K4ilQj3.png

Elia was speechless. She did remember. And she was making fun of her for it. It made her feel a bit annoyed.

Elia felt sick. Now she really did not want to eat the food Sammy brought her.

She glared at Sammy as she paced the room.

“Hey, Elia. Last night, I asked you ‘What’s so great about being perfect?’
    “What’s so nice about being pretty and on display all the time? With all the people staring and looking at everything you do?
    “What’s so fun about being smart? When it spoils the surprise out of everything else?
    “And what’s so good about being everybody else’s person and not your own?
    “Tell me. I really want to know.”

Elia couldn't answer. Sammy sat beside Elia.

"Just as I thought... I bet at some point in your life you perhaps thought that you don't have anywhere else to go. And so you gave up who you truly were and became what theywant you to be. You put up with this lie because you have nothing.
    “But is all of this, what you really want, Elia? Aren't you sick of this pretense?"
    "Isn't it better to be a normal girl with a normal family in a normal house going to a normal school with normal friends?
    "So why did you have to change? Why did you go to that school full of snobby rich kids? Why did you take that etiquette crash course? Why do you have to be perfect?"
    "What's wrong about just being you? Why can't they just accept you for who you are? Why did you have to tweak yourself just for them?”

"You and I aren't much different, you know," Sammy continued. "We both live in a world where others force themselves upon us. Where we are everything but who we want to be."
    "It's a story I know all too well. When you have everything, you stop becoming someone. Instead, you become what you have. And what you have to offer.
    "And these young heirs and heiresses at school know that. So instead of forming friendships, they form networks. They fake their personalities. They fabricate moments with you. Try to keep themselves in your memory. They hang out with you even if they don't like you because one day, they just might need you."

"But you're different from all of them. When I heard that the Thebe heiress had been found and was enrolling in Brite Prep, I expected someone completely different," Sammy confided. "A bratty princess character.
    "So you could just imagine my surprise when I saw the renowned princes in the school toilets. Shaking and stuttering like a broken record player!" she laughed.

"You were so innocent. So naive. So genuine. So cute..." Sammy trailed off. "I have never met anyone as interesting...
    “So just stay who you are, please. Don't become somebody like me. Be as ordinary as you are; you don't have to be perfect.”
    She reached out and tucked a lock of Elia's hair behind her ears. It made the latter flinch.

Sammy suddenly stood up and walked towards the door. As she put her hand on the handle, she called out to Elia without turning around.
    "I’m sorry for last night,” she said softly. “I could think of a million reasons why I probably shouldn't have done that.
    “But I’m not going to trouble you anymore. But I want you to know that that kiss was real for me. You should eat up.”

CAvt2HC.png
    She left the room. And Elia was left in silence.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    Aw that was adorable <3
    Aww thanks for stopping by to read @Kellogg_J_Kellogg and @mightysprite! It feels good to get back on the story after a long hiatus!

Guess I should also be more participating on the writer threads too huh?
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    I’m finally caught up! And I’m loving this story 😍 Elia and Robert have a great character dynamic, Adriel is adorable and I love how much effort you’re putting into your scenes in the pictures.
    Count Vlad rummaging through the underwear drawer almost had me spit out my tea with laughter 😂

I’m writing this as I’m reading the last few chapters so I’ll just hide them under spoilers here, if that’s okay 😁

Edward is a bit of a potato, isn’t he? He has a point, though. Elia is a celebrity now, and people are going to flock to her for all kinds of reasons now that they know she has money. Poor kid. And Edward is the only actually blood relative that she as. Peh. Good thing that you can choose your family.
    “That was the last time he ever looked at her.”
    Ouch. Ow. Ow ow ow. 😖 My heart. Oh that’s so sad – she wants to belong, but in learning to fit in, she’s losing the closest connection that she has.

Dressing up only to realize that you don’t fit in with the rest after it’s too late to go back is such a mood and I relate to it so bad 😂 I’m glad that the group of students is not making fun of her for it, but actually trying to get to know her. It would have been such a horrible start at university otherwise. Poor Elia – maybe she can join them next time.

Gaaaaaahhh OF COURSE Edward is there too. Go swim in the lake and leave Elia alone, you squishy potato. Shoo. Shoo! Oh, he’s actually being helpful with his snobby background info. Okay, you can stay. Oof, the most popular group? His descriptions is very unflattering. I wonder how much of it is true, and how much of it is him being jealous.

Hm. I don’t like how they’re telling Elia who to hang out with and what to wear. It could be them simply trying to look out for her, but it feels very controlling. And a six-hour drive! Every day! 😵 That poor chauffeur – I hope he hangs around town and doesn’t drive back and forth twice every day.

Oh geez, she slapped her for snooping through messages? That’s a bit extreme. Sammy seems very intent on ending up in Elia’s home. 😕

Aww, they’re warming up to each other a little bit again yassssss <3 Mannie saying she’ll help set Elia up with her butler made me laugh. They’re bulldozing over her without listening but it’s very comical in a way 😂 Sammy seems dangerous and very controlling. The whole “you wouldn’t want to make lunch awkward on Monday” is blatant manipulation. I hope Elia doesn’t end up on the girl’s bad side – or turned into a puppet. Whoah, and they’re dropping by just like that for a sleepover of all things? Without telling her? Maybe this comes from me being a Dutchie but people coming over unplanned, uninvited, expecting you to host them is about as rude as you can get o.o

😐 Mannie why would you need protection on a girl’s sleepover? Wait, Sebastian is coming too? And they’re giving her a makeover without her asking for one?! How many unwritten rules can these girls break in one day?! 😣 Nuuuuuuuuuu
    Aw, her moment with Amy was actually really sweet. I was scared for a second that it was another manipulation thing of trying to sow drama but it didn’t read that way. Sammy and Elia’s talk warmed me up to her a little bit, too. Whoa, did not expect it end up like that!

HAHAHAHA the dream of Robert in his apron omg 😂😂😂

Well, consider my mind changed. The last two conversations with Sammy made me do a complete 180 on her. I was afraid that she’d try and manipulate her for her own gain, and she does seem to be doing that, but the last two conversations seemed to be genuine. There's something really sweet about Sammy finally showing who she really is, without an agenda. At least, I hope it's without an agenda. Oh no, now there's three people that I can ship Elia with 🤭

Also, your pictures in this chapter are gorgeous 😍

Bookmarked! I'm definitely following this from now on :mrgreen:

J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    Thanks @_sims_Yimi! And sorry for getting back to you late (I was writing Act 2). 😅 I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reactions to the episodes! 🥰 They reflected just exactly how I hoped my work would come across to the reader. I’m so happy! Thank you so so much! Stay tuned for Unloved 15’s Act 2.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Credit where credit's due; you're a good writer who has created an interesting story and the locations are amazing. And right now I can't predict what's going to happen next.
    edited August 2021
    Unloved 15
    Act 2

YscNDbG.png
    Elia looked out the window as The Sams boarded their tiny car. She watched as Robert help Sebastian stuff their luggage in the trunk. Mannie demanded the other teens hurry up. She nagged incessantly about getting stuck in the evening rush before getting in. She slammed her door shut. Amy shrugged and so did Elia. Mannie seemed to enjoy making mountains out of molehills. What rush? There were hardly any cars in Brindleton Bay—let alone the sleepy medieval settlement of Capeside. But Amy did as she was told and climbed aboard. Sammy however, stood perfectly still. She looked back at the house, her eyes darting through its many windows. Elia had a feeling she was looking for her.

“Miss Hiddleston. Did you perchance forget something inside?” Robert inquired of the blonde teen. “Please tell me what it is and I shall go fetch it.” Sammy shook her head.
    "No, it's nothing. Thank you very much for having us." She promptly went in the car afterward.
    "The pleasure is ours," Robert exclaimed as he politely bowed his head. He held that position until the car had rolled off the driveway.

SBQ2Nsn.png
    Elia went back to her bedroom as Robert closed the gates. She laid flat on her bed: glad that she had it all to herself this time. She felt a little sorry. It was poor etiquette to not personally send her friends off after hosting a sleepover. But she rationalized in her head that The Sams hadn’t exactly been the best houseguests either. Thanks to them, it felt like she didn't get any sleep at all.

She didn’t want to admit it because it was mean to think so of one's friends, but she secretly thought they were really quite rude. They showed up unannounced. They constantly complained about the house. They were always bickering. And they acted totally inappropriate at times. One of them even crossed the line by kissing her.

Elia imagined The Sams throwing tantrums in the playroom of the orphanage. She chortled at that thought. They wouldn't be amiss at all. After all, these rich kids' behaviors weren't any different from the homeless orphans back then. Or course, they acted up over different things—one not getting what they want and the other not getting anything at all. But it was amusing how kids do still act like kids regardless of wealth and social class.

However, Elia didn't know any kid that acted the same way Brite Prep students did as Sammy said in her confession. She said that bonds among the elite were often forged out of convenience rather than genuine friendship. They see and keep people around based on how useful they will prove themselves eventually. It was an interesting take. And it wasn't the first time she heard it either. Edward Whittaker said something exactly like that before. Back then, she thought he was only being rude and judgmental with the townspeople. But Sammy said the same thing about her crazy rich peers. Maybe there was some truth to it? A horrible life view that could only be seen by the affluent.

She furrowed her brows. She still cannot understand how this new life worked. For one, she didn't understand why she still had to learn ballroom dancing when practically no one dances in balls anymore. Or how dinners could be formal and why they needed seven pairs of silverware to be eaten. High society had a lot of rules. Rules that only liked to complicate otherwise simple stuff. But she had already decided she didn’t have to completely understand everything at once, anyway. Learning parts of it as needed proved helpful enough.

But if there was one thing she understood clearly, it was there's no going back now. There was nowhere else she could return to. The ordinary? The unloved? Those are options she would not take anymore.

Three sharp knocks interrupted her thoughts.
    “My lady, the guests have departed,” Robert said through the door.

“Yeah,” she called out. “Thanks for sending them off.”
    “Is my lady feeling alright?” asked the butler.
    “Yeah. Just a little dizzy. I’d really want to rest some more if you don’t mind.”
    “As you wish my lady,” he said. “I shall come to wake you up in an hour.”

9BwvAPF.png
    “I’m heading out!” Elia announced after lunch. She picked up her coat and draped it over her shoulders. She walked to the entry hall.
    “Out?” Robert protested. “Wasn’t my lady feeling lightheaded earlier? Miss Samuelle also said you did not even eat the breakfast she brought you. And this morning you were too dizzy to even see your friends off. Surely, my lady is not well enough to be heading out? My lady best rest in the salon Selvadoradaine and I shall make chicken soup.”
    “I’m fine. I just needed some rest is all,” she reasoned. “And I’m just going to the beach. Catch some vitamin D and some fresh air? Heard it’s good for when you’re feeling a bit under the weather.”
    Robert narrowed his eyes. It seemed like he didn't want her to go.
    “Very well. But I shall come with,” he said through gritted teeth. “Please wait here while I too retrieve my coat.”
    He turned for the cloakroom. Elia saw it as an opportunity to bolt out.

Elia ran as fast as she can until she reached the foot of the hill. To her relief, Robert didn’t give chase. She stooped down to catch her breath. She didn’t understand why she was acting all strange with him. Did it still have something to do with that dream? She knew none of it was real. It wasn’t like dream Robert would suddenly manifest into reality the more she hung around the real him. And avoiding the butler certainly did not make the dream any less vivid. But she had a feeling she couldn’t help but feel awkward if he had come. She needed some time by herself. Even just for a few hours.

She looked around. She noticed herself in the overgrown yard of a beach shack painted entirely pewter.
    lvDsNvA.png

Elia squealed. It’s Adriel’s house! She wondered how he had been. He has not dropped by the chateau since last summer when they had eaten all that cheesecake. In fact, the last time she saw him was at that Capeside cafe. She peered through the windows. It seemed like he was home. She sprinted around the hut heading for the front door.

As she walked up the porch, she felt something that made her freeze in place. It was her phone vibrating. It was probably Robert calling as he looked for her. She whipped out the phone at once out of habit.

To her relief, it wasn’t Robert. It was just a Simstagram notification. The Sams made her signup and download the app. She never actually cared for it. She felt like she had nothing interesting to share in the first place. Besides, reception inside the chateau was remarkably poor. No doubt from the stone walls being too thick for the signal waves to pass through. It made browsing on mobile impossible.

But out there on the cove, there wasn’t such a limit. And so, she received a ton of those annoying message alerts. She tried to swipe away the messages but stopped and read this one. Mannie had apparently posted a picture and tagged her in a photo. She excitedly tapped her screen to view it.

0Cf6KJ0.png
    L❤️VE these gurls so much! 🥺😭💋 #friends #forever #nature #hot #cute #sexy #nofilter #vintage #🔥

Elia remembered the moment the photo was taken. Everybody else had lost interest because Mannie kept the camera all to herself. But as they were walking up the path back to the Summer Palace, they chanced upon a small clearing where the midday sun filtered softly in a green glow to a rock slab below. It looked absolutely magical. And they took a group photo to commemorate.

But while Elia was tagged in the post, she wasn’t on the photo itself.
    u1aDREg.png

That was odd. She remembered being in the shot’s frame. She even remembered Mannie editing it on her laptop. How come she wasn't there anymore? Mannie would never purposely cut her off a photo they took together, would she? They were friends after all; otherwise, she wouldn’t have tagged her. Elia was sure it was just a misunderstanding. Maybe it was just a resolution thing? Forgetting about Adriel, she turned back uphill and ran to the study. It was the only place that had a wired internet connection. She had to make sure. She logged onto Simstagram.

The photo still didn’t show her.

An unpleasant realization snuck into Elia's mind. She really must have been cropped off the photo. But why though? She replayed the events of the day before in her head. She scrambled to remember something, anything she could have done to make Mannie upset. Was it when Robert served white nectar instead of water over dinner? Or could it be when she sided with Amy’s creative photo composition? Or was it because they were cold the entire time from the boiler breaking down?

Should she ask Mannie herself? No. That would seem like she’s confronting her. She wasn’t trying to start a fight. She was just curious why she would do such a thing.

She decided she'd ask Amy instead. Maybe she would know?
    Hey! How was your trip? Hope you enjoyed your stay here! I look forward to hanging out with you guys again! By the way, I saw all of you guys' photos on Simsta. I think they all turned out really lovely especially the ones you took! But I wanted to ask about Mannie’s post, that one photo we took of us in the clearing? I was really looking forward to seeing it. I wanted to have it framed but I noticed I’m not in it though. Have I been cropped off the picture? Mannie's not mad at me or anything, is she? :flushed:

Elia looked at the message she composed. It sounded like she was imputing Mannie for cropping her out. It was just a photo. Nothing worth getting disconcerted about. She swapped out the last few sentences with a more friendly "Would you have a copy where I'm in it? :blush: "

Half an hour later, Elia received a reply to her query.
    V5Wz41Y.png

Amy had mistakenly sent a screenshot of her and Mannie’s conversation. She probably wanted to send the part where Mannie said the aspect ratio excuse but forget to crop out the rest of the image.

Elia laughed. Although there wasn’t anything funny. Her breaths became heavier and more irregular. Freak? Eggplant eyes? Waddled like a penguin? Mannie was not upset with her, apparently. She loathed her!

What did she ever do to these people? She's only known them for a week. So why? What could she have done for them to hate her this much? Why was this happening to her? WHY?!?

Sammy’s words resounded in her head. Fabricated relationships. That’s what it was. She thought The Sams were being friendly. Giving her gifts and fashion and relationship advice. But really they only did it for some ulterior motive. All in exchange for something she could offer them. They didn’t travel all the way out to Brindleton Bay for a sleepover with a friend. They wanted a photoshoot venue. And there she was; foolishly and wholeheartedly accommodating them into her home despite the inconveniences. She even let them sleep on her bed!

Elia looked around her room. She saw The Sams' influence all around. She felt sick to her stomach. She had to get rid of all their tainted stuff. She messed up her new hairstyle. She bunched up the clothes they had shopped for her from the rack and threw them all on the bed. The bed! Mannie laid in it! With disgust and great effort, she tried to push off the mattress. But it was too heavy for her so she ripped off the covers instead.
    2osrBrj.png

She grunted in frustration and rung for Robert. He didn’t answer back. Growing impatient, she tried to get up but tripped on the shoes they gifted her.
    “Stupid, stupid! STUPID!” She bellowed. She grabbed them and ran to the fireplace. She lifted the pair high in the air and screamed; ready to hurl it into the fiery blaze.
    F4ehYNf.png

The bedroom door suddenly flew open and Robert barged in.
    “My lady! What happened? I heard a scream!” He asked urgently. He scanned the messy room.
    “Is everything alright? Did something happen?” He asked concernedly. “My lady?”

Elia let out a sigh she didn't even realize she had been holding back. Slowly, she brought her arms down to her sides. She let the shoes drop on the floor. Then she faced Robert. She smiled. The sweetest one she could muster.
    JxtspzD.png
    “Yes, Robert. I am perfectly fine.”
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
    Chapter 15.2

Woo! I get to comment in real-time now 😀
    Oh, Elia 😭 my heart breaks for her. I had a feeling that they were there with different motivations than just a sleepover but it still hurts to see it confirmed. And in such a horrible way, too. Changing her hairstyle to cover up her eyes is a special kind of conniving.

Part of me hopes that Amy didn’t send it by accident but on purpose, to let Elia know. Doesn’t make it any better, but that would mean that at least Amy isn’t as horrible as Mannie. It doesn’t seem to make a difference to Elia, though – she’s repulsed by all three of them now. Oh honey. And right when she thought that she was accepted somewhere, too. This is such a harsh blow 😥
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    Credit where credit's due; you're a good writer who has created an interesting story and the locations are amazing. And right now I can't predict what's going to happen next.
    Oh gosh! I don’t know what to say! Thank you! That really made my day! 🤩

_sims_Yimi wrote: »
    Woo! I get to comment in real-time now 😀
    Yay! I kinda feel sorry that you’d also have to wait for updates now though 😅
    Having new friends is always going to be a hit-or-miss. Different personalities, interests, and backgrounds will always shape different characters that may click with you or rub you the wrong way. Luckily for Elia, she got to “see” their true colors” before she got wayy invested.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm just popping by to leave a quick comment saying I've started your story and enjoy it! I'm only 4 chapters in, so I have quite a lot of reading to do to catch up, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

I appreciate how much work you've put into this. The writing is thoughtful and all your images are nicely composed and of quality.
    I'm not sure if I like or dislike Mr. Dubois, the butler. But I do like that he's an interesting character and not flat, even if he is or at least comes off as a bit of a snobby monarchist obsessed with the past.

[quotes] Having apparently amassed a huge debt from a failed business, he sold his then-infant daughter to some child trafficking syndicate under the guise of an orphanage in the San Myshuno Spice District. [/quote]
    This was shocking to me. I may need to reread to make sure I caught all of the details about Elia's father because :open_mouth:

I'll definitely be back to read more.
    edited August 2021
    Unloved 16
    txsFj4V.png
    Princess Cordelia Thebe was the last princess of the Sim Kingdom before the Great Sloth Invasion. A charismatic leader, a strategist, an architect, an inventor, a painter, and a virtuoso of many instruments; the princess was adored by the masses for her well-rounded disposition. Among the royalty, she was renowned for her beauteous countenance, her fine jewelry, and lavish outfits. Many princes from all over the world sought her hand and company. There never was another historical Sim who was quite as iconic.

Elia found herself staring at the marble bust on the mantel. Now that she had gotten a closer look, she realized she had an uncanny resemblance with Princess Cordelia. She was actually surprised it took her so long to notice. The Summer Palace was filled with her imagery: sculptures, and portraits, and faded photographs. They all depicted the same face. Her face. Based on looks alone, she would not be mistaken for anyone else but a Thebe.

So why then was she, a descendant of the former royal family that led the nation for a thousand years, acting the way she did? Screaming like a maniac in the middle of the night? Arms outstretched to hurl a pair of shoes in the fire? Vulgar and uncouth. She was certain Princess Cordelia wouldn’t have done the same. No Thebe would.

She sighed. She lowered her arms and let go of the shoes she was holding. They fell with a dull thud on the rug.

“Is everything alright?” she finally heard Robert’s voice calling to her. “Did something happen, my lady?”
    He looked worried. It seemed like a good time to confide. But she chose not to. He didn't need to know.
    “Yes, Robert,” she smiled reassuringly. “I’m perfectly fine.”
    “But your room…”

“Room?” Elia looked around. "Oh..."
    Her room was in total disarray. Her clothes rack had toppled over and her dresses were strewn about on the floor. She had also accidentally knocked down several trinkets from the bedside tables. And the bed itself looked like it had been trampled by a herd of rabid llamas.
    XQMbt7f.png

“I’m sorry…. I-I found a roach in the room!” she came up with an excuse. She was embarrassed to admit she caused such a huge mess by herself. “I can’t stand bugs so I chased it around.
    “A roach?”
    Elia nodded rapidly. "It's gone now! I saw it crawl up the fireplace!” She tried to convince him.
    “I see…” Robert knelt by the woodpile and picked up some of the logs. “It must have been nesting inside one of these."
    Robert continued inspecting the pile. After some time he stood up and said morosely, "I am sorry you had to put up with that, my lady. It is all my fault. I am the one to blame. I am terribly sorry.
    “I shall have the exterminator over first thing tomorrow morning. But for now, we need to contain this infestation. We cannot risk having pests in the chateau. Please excuse me as I make a call,” Robert excused himself and left the room.

Elia began tidying up. She sorted her old clothes (which Robert had handpicked and up-cycled from the late Mistress Adelaida’s wardrobe) from the ones gifted by The Sams. She noted the jarring difference in style. Despite what The Sams did, maybe she really did need that makeover? She had just finished stacking the shoeboxes when Robert re-entered the room. In his hands were a denim dress and a sweater.

“My lady, please leave those be. There is no need to put any of those back,” he reprimanded.
    “Everything will be washed and disinfected anyway. Linen and drapes included."
    He handed Elia the clothes.
    “Please change into this. And in half an hour, come down to the old coach house where somebody will be waiting to usher you to the Capeside Inn.”
    “Capeside?” Elia wondered. “At this hour? Why?”
    “I had made arrangements for your temporary accommodation. Tomorrow morning, the chateau will be fumigated. And then, overmorrow, a team of antique specialists and heritage conservators will inspect to make sure that the entire royal collection is intact and had not been chemically damaged. They will perform any necessary restoration on-site.”

Elia scratched her head. That didn't sound good. It seemed like major work.

“Don’t worry, my lady. The innkeepers are trusted colleagues who have guaranteed your safety. I think you will be pleasantly surprised who it is. Now, pardon my intrusion, but my lady best get going while I…”

Robert swung one of the large casement windows wide open. What little warmth the room had from the now dying fire was drawn out almost immediately. He walked to the woodpile and chucked a pair out the window.
    TeLxv4f.png
    “…get rid of these,” he said as he dusted off his hands.

Robert explained the firewood was probably roach-ridden and that it was best to remove them all from the house to prevent an invasion. Elia watched as he threw out log after log until the rack was almost empty. They made a soft crunching sound as they landed in the gravel garden path down below. But for Elia, they crashed down loudly like mallets on a big bronze gong. She felt a pang in her chest. There wasn't really anything wrong with any of those logs. It was a waste to throw them out. And didn’t he say he spent hours restocking every hearth in the house? Was he going to rid all the other fireplaces of wood too? He also said they didn't have enough to last through winter. Is that why he was making her stay at the inn? And there would be pest control. And preservationists too. She never thought it would go this far. All of these over one little roach? No. All of these over one little lie.

She clung onto Robert’s wide back. It made the butler freeze in place. She apologized and begged him to stop. She said she saw the roach escape. Was all of this still necessary now? It was late. They should be resting.
    oRyZHrS.png

“It’s okay, Elia,” he said. softly “You’re not at fault. I was wrong and I have to own up to my mistakes. I have to set this right... When the boiler broke down, I made the mistake of stocking the entire house without checking any of the firewood.
    “It is my duty to protect the Thebes and everything they hold dear.
    “To you, it might have been just a harmless wood roach…but to me, it could have been something worse.
    “I slipped my guard. I failed my duty. And I only hurt you in the end…that’s unforgivable.
    “Let me take responsibility,” he said, now facing her. He smiled. “You don’t have to worry about me. I’m an adult! It's what we do. Now go change. Don't keep your friend waiting.“

Uy2FakU.png
    Elia peered through the glass panes of the doors leading inside the coach house. Contrary to what Robert said, she didn’t find anybody inside waiting for her.
    “Lady Elia?” a voice asked behind her back.
    Elia expected to see Adriel. But there was no way he would have addressed her that way.

She turned to see a heavily-built tall young man. She recognized him as the delivery guy from yesterday morning.
    “Tyler King?”
    “So…” He scratched the back of his head. “Mr. Dubois told Pops that you guys had an emergency here. And that you gonna bunk out for a few days because of it. I’m here to pick you up. Name’s Tyler.”
    “I’m Elia. Really, it’s no—” She hesitated. It really wasn’t as urgent as Robert made it sound like. But somehow, it felt like it was too late to tell the truth anymore.
    “My lady!” Robert yelled from one of the upper floor windows. “You go ahead with Tyler! He’ll take you to the inn! I’ll join you later!
    “Don’t take too long!” he shouted back. “Mum’s made some whole bellies!”
    “I’ll be bringing the ale then!”
    “Later!”

Elia guiltily waved Robert goodbye and followed Tyler to Upper Capeside. She hadn’t thought it possible, but at night, the small town somehow got even sleepier than it already was. There wasn’t another person in sight. Only the moon and the lights coming from inside the houses illuminated the cobblestone streets. Their footsteps were the only sound that rung through the night.
    Elia decided to break the awkward silence.
    "Capeside's beautiful at night, don't you think?"
    "Really? I think we could use some more streetlamps," he answered coldly.
    “Y-you know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around before,” she remarked.
    “Well, you’ve only been down the cape this summer,” Tyler said. “And back then, I was at training camp.”
    She frowned. She was running out of idead. She felt she didn’t have to ask—it was evident from his burly physique. But the conversation needed to keep going. "You play sports?"
    His eyes lit up. “Ayuh, soccer,” he said proudly. “And I don’t mean to brag, but the Dragons made it to nationals and won the cup ‘coz of this guy!”
    He pointed at himself and gave a wink. She rolled her eyes. Yep. Not bragging at all. Their small talk was turning into one of those conversations.
    “I can say the same for you too, Miss Elia.”
    “Huh?”
    “I only got to meet you yesterday,” he pondered. “And you looked different back then—it's a nice change though! No offense!"
    Elia chose to ignore the second half of what he said. Just thinking of The Sams and the reality behind their makeover made her a bit annoyed again. “Well, you haven’t been to school lately,” she snarked back.
    “Ahh about that, Pops had an injury. Broke his leg from a run-in with an evil bunny.
    “He still tends the grocer, but he can’t do deliveries or go to the wharf anymore. We can’t really close the grocer, it’s our bread and butter! Not to mention that there isn't another one for miles around. Capeside needs us. But Mum can’t drive. And she has to look over my baby sisters, anyway. So I’m taking charge ‘til he gets better,” Tyler explained. "I'll go back to school when I've sorted things out."
    “That’s really responsible of you,” she said.
    “Nah, I’m just doing what I can...”
    “And I didn’t know you had younger siblings! That’s totally adorable.”
    He suddenly stopped walking and turned to face her. She bumped into him.
    ikhbrfA.png
    "Oww!" she whined.
    “Oi! Not cool, man,” His face suddenly went serious.

Bewildered, Elia asked. “Excuse me?”
    “You making fun of my family?”
    “What? No!” Elia tensed up. “W-where did you even get that idea?”
    “Is that so funny? Not going to school to work and support your family?”
    “No! I didn’t say that!”
    “Oh, c’mon! You know what you said! ‘Totally adorable?’” He scoffed.
    “What are you talking about?” she said, not believing what she had just heard. “Adorable means adorable! Cute? Lovable?”

Tyler simmered down. He let out a sigh after a quiet minute.
    “I’m sorry, miss,” he was still annoyed but was clearly trying to manage his anger. “That was wicked rude of me. I didn’t mean to lash out at you. It’s just I get so defensive about my family.

“You probably won’t get it, but I know I don’t belong with you barneys at Brite Prep. I’m not rich. I don’t got any trust or hedge funds or whatever. And the only reason I’m even going to that school is ‘coz I got scouted to play for the team.
    “I know all the things they say about me behind my back,” he said. "I've never gotten used to it."
    “But when push comes to shove, I can take them all by myself! I know my strengths," he then smiled cockily. "Just means the Dragons’d have to play without me!”
    “But I'm not as forgiving when my family's involved,” he balled his fists.
    “Again, I am really sorry," he lightened up. "I misunderstood. I just thought that you’ve adopted their language...I mean, you hanging out with The Sams and all...
    “C’mon now! The inn’s just around the corner!” he gave her a slight push.
    “Say, Tyler,” she asked him as they started walking. Elia had a gut feeling she just discovered something she wasn’t supposed to know. “What does it mean, by the way? When The Sams call something ‘Totally adorable’?”
    “I’m not entirely sure since they never really told me,” he said innocently.
    “But they use it all the time when they think something’s hilariously lame.”
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
    haneul wrote: »
    I'm just popping by to leave a quick comment saying I've started your story and enjoy it! I'm only 4 chapters in, so I have quite a lot of reading to do to catch up, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

I'll definitely be back to read more.

Thanks @haneul! I’m glad that you liked it! Welcome to the thread! :)
    Chapter 16

I love how much your story is based in the TS4 Cordelia lore. Even including the Sloth invasion 😂
    Poor Elia, though… being not only a descendant from Cordelia but almost being her spitting image must place a huge weight on her shoulders. We saw that before with her turning to Robert to turn her into a “real Thebe”, and we’re seeing it again here. Poor girl is just a teenager, still naive and just had her heart stomped on by people she thought were here friends – of course she’d react emotionally. I feel so bad for her.

That lie about the firewood, though… ouch x.x Robert must be beating himself up over it. Oh geez, fumigating the place, washing everything and a full inspection over one lie. Oh no. Oh ouch, him talking about taking responsibility and fixing his mistakes all the while she knows he didn’t do anything.. ouch ouch ouch. Elia. Honey. Admit to your lie for crying out loud 😵

Tyler is interesting. They both seemed to have the wrong idea about each other at the start there. Ah, so that’s why he hasn’t been in school. That explains a lot. Kid is just looking out for his family. Oh gods, of course the Sams spinned “totally adorable” into something like that. They called her that when she was wearing her school uniform, didn’t they?
    J6AKQqX.jpg