Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Sleuths: A Recipe for Murder (Mystery Game)

Sul sul, Simmers and Sleuths!

Sim Sleuths: A Recipe for Murder is an interactive murder mystery story/game featuring premade sims. The aim is for Simmers to ask questions and gather clues to unlock more details and solve the mystery!

This is inspired by the original thread by @imhappy Who Killed Sobhian Fryers?
All the credit goes to them for coming up with such a fun idea for a game.

How it works
A Sims inspired mystery will be posted below and it is up to you to crack the case! You will be provided with some initial information and may ask questions to gather clues (which I will try to answer as quickly as possible!).

When you think you've figured out whodunnit, you can solve the mystery by commenting with who you think commited the crime (you are free to include how and why too). When the mystery has been sufficiently solved I will post the big reveal!

Everyone is welcome to join in and you can participate as little or as much as you like.

Sim Sleuths: A Recipe for Murder

Crime Scene
Victor Feng has been poisoned at Chez Llama in San Myshuno after eating a Pufferfish Nigiri of poor quality. He had taken his wife, Lily Feng, and their neighbours, the Goths, out for a meal to celebrate his recent promotion.

Victim Profile
Victor Feng was a powerful politician who was close to successfully taking over San Myshuno with his Simoleons for Everyone cause.

Possible Suspects and Witnesses

Staff
Lilliana Kealoha (Chef)
A very talented chef, works at Chez Llama.

Motive: None known.

Statement: Lilliana claims that she did prepare a Pufferfish Nigiri that evening, but that the one she made was of excellent quality.

Salim Benali (Waiter)
A struggling author working part time at Chez Llama to make ends meet. Was in favour of the Simoleons for Everyone cause.

Statement: Salim says he did not notice anything out if the ordinary but the restaurant was extremely busy and understaffed.

Diners
Lily Feng
Victor Feng' wife. Also a very successful Sim in the business world and was very proud of her husband's new promotion.

Motive: Was there a problem in Victor and Lily's marriage? According to Lily her marriage was good; they were both successful and had money.
According to the Goths, their marriage was more of a business than romantic. They were both very career focused and didn't spend much time together.

Statement: Lily told investigators that after the waiter took their order she went to the restroom and that the food was served shortly after she returned. She claims there was nothing unusual about that evening.

Mortimer Goth
Lives next door to the Fengs. He is a very successful author and tends to keep himself to himself.

Statement: Mortimer told investigators that the Goths and the Fengs go out to dinner together regularly. He claims to have never left the table and that nothing seemed different that evening.

Bella Goth
Lives next door to the Fengs and is a stay at home Mother. Reportedly disappeared a few years prior although that does not seem to be relevant to this case.

Statement: Bella says that after they ordered their food she went to the bar to get a drink. She claims that she spoke to the waiter briefly, before returning to the table. She was horrified at the sight of Victor's death, and ran outside.

Cassandra Goth
Daughter of Bella and Mortimer Goth. Is said to be a troubled teen, possibly due to her Mother's former disappearance.

Statement: Cassandra states that after they ordered she went to the restroom. On her way back to the table she saw her Mother talking with the waiter. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary that evening. After Victor died she followed her Mother outside to comfort her.

Alexander Goth
The youngest child of Bella and Mortimer Goth.

Statement: Due to his young age it did not seem appropriate to take a full statement, but he claims to have not seen anything out of the ordinary.

Geoffrey Landgraab
Another powerful resident of San Myshuno who previously ran the city before Victor's latest promotion.

Motive: Had been a political rival of the victim and publicly disagreed with the Simoleons for Everyone cause. With Victor dead, Geoffrey has greater power in San Myshuno and Victor's cause has been thrown out.

Statement: Claims to have been having dinner with his wife when the Fengs and Goths entered the restaurant. He was very angry about losing to Victor and wanted to confront him, but his wife convinced him not to. Instead he went to the restroom to calm down, when he returned Victor was dead at his table.

Nancy Landgraab
Wife of Geoffrey Landgraab

Motive: Her husband was a political rival of the victim.

Statement: Claims that Geoffrey was furious when he spotted Victor but she begged him not to cause a scene. Geoffrey went to the restroom and while he was gone Victor died.

Clues
(I will update this as more clues are uncovered)
- Autopsy Report: Victim died from a fatal poisioning; an examination of his stomach contents reveal Pufferfish Nigiri of a poor quality. Time of death corresponds with witness statements; he died after eating the Pufferfish Nigiri.

- No one else ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri, and it seemed to be a known favourite of the victim:
Lilliana states that only one order of Pufferfish Nigiri was brought to her that evening, but she wasn't sure who it was for. Salim confirms that he did only take one order for that dish and that it was indeed for Victor Feng, in fact, he adds, that's what he always ordered. Lily Feng and the Goths also state that Victor Feng always ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri when they ate at Chez Llama.

- While rooting through Geoffrey's work files you find a file with Victor's name on. Inside the file are photographs of Victor and a woman. The photos are grainy, and look like they were taken through an apartment window. The woman has her back to the camera and is wearing a backless dress.
- Geoffrey Landgraab admits that he hired a Private Investigator to spy on Victor Feng to try and get come dirt on him to smear his campaign. He does not know who the woman in the photo is, it's such a grainy image that it could just be Lily for all he knows, so the photo was useless to him anyway.
- The photo was taken about a week prior to the murder.
- You show Lily the photo. She confirms that it is their apartment but that she is not the woman in the photo...and she can prove it. Lily reveals that she has a tattoo on her back. Although the photo is grainy, the woman in it is wearing a backless dress and clearly has no tattoo.

- New statement from Lilliana:
Lilliana admits to being busy but insists that the Pufferfish Nigiri that she made was of excellent quality! The poor quality one found in Victor Feng's stomach cannot have been the one she made.

- Search of Chez Llama:
Following Lilliana's statement, you decide to search Chez Llama. In a bin outside the front of the restaurant you find a Pufferfish Nigiri of excellent quality. This must be the one that Lilliana made.

- The Goths and Fengs apartments are clean but upon searching their shared trash chute you discover a recipe for Pufferfish Nigiri and a white shirt with a red lipstick stain on it.
The Goths claim to not recognise either item. Lily claims to not recognise the receipe, however, she does recognise the shirt as being one of Victor's, but states that the lipstick on it is not hers!

Arrests
- Lilliana Kealoha is currently being held due to being the only Sim known for a fact to handle Victor's meal. She will be released soon if no further evidence against her comes to light.
Update: After finding the Pufferfish Nigiri of excellent quality that Lilliana made, and with no further evidence against her, she has been released.

Notes
-All suspects reside in San Myshuno

-There were other diners at Chez Llama that evening, but they are not under suspicion and all witness statements corroborate what the suspects have said.

- The bartender is not under suspicion, but confirms that Bella Goth did order a drink at the bar during the evening.

- Upon their arrival, police asked all diners and staff to step out of the restaurant to wait for their statement to be taken before being allowed to go home.

Chez Llama layout with diners' seating plan listed below:
thFiSMe.jpg
1. Lily Feng 2. Bella Goth 3. Alexander Goth 4. Victor Feng 5. Mortimer Goth 6. Cassandra Goth 7. Nancy Landgraab 8. Geoffrey Landgraab

Picture of Chez Llama:
RljBJPW.png

A timeline of events during the evening:
6. 00 - Fengs and Goths arrive at Chez Llama
6.08 - Salim takes their order
6.10 - Salim brings order to the kitchen
6.18 - Lily leaves the table to go to the restroom
6.21- Cassandra leaves the table to go to the restroom
6.22 - Bella leaves the table to go to the bar
6.24 - Lily returns to the table
6.24 - After ordering her drink Bella speaks to Salim
6.25 - Lilliana's first call for service (Which Salim does not hear)
6.29 - Cassandra returns to table
6.30 - Geoffrey goes to rest room
6.31 - Lilliana's second call for service (which Salim does hear)
6.31 - Bella returns to table
6.32 - Food is served by Salim
6.52 - Approximate time of death according to the coroner
6.53 - Geoffrey returns to his table

Lilliana's and Salim's relationship with the Fengs/Goths:
- Lilliana (chef) states that she did not know the Fengs or Goths well at all, but they did visit Chez Llama regularly.
- Salim (waiter) also claims to not know either family well but was familiar with Victor Feng's political career. He also states that he is a fan of Mortimer Goth's books, and that he is a huge inspiration to him, although he's never spoken to him apart from to take his order.

What were Salim and Bella discussing?
- According to Salim, Bella approached him to speak about his writing. She was aware that he was an aspiring author and had invited him to visit the Goths' apartment and talk to her husband.
Bella confirms that she invited Salim to her apartment, and that she thought he may enjoy the opportunity to chat with her husband, who is a famous author.

- Lilliana says that she puts prepared dishes on a counter near the door, so that waiters can take them quickly and easily.

- According to Lily her marriage was good; they were both successful and had money.
According to the Goths, their marriage was more of a business than romantic. They were both very career focused and didn't spend much time together.

- After finding the Pufferfish Nigiri of excellent quality that Lilliana made, and with no further evidence against her, she has been released.

- Update
There is a disturbance at the Goth/Feng residence and you've been called to investigate. When you arrive, Lily is arguing with Bella; she has accused her of having an affair with Victor.

Sim Sleuths!
You have full access to the crime scene and suspects. You may search Chez Llama and suspects' homes and you may question the suspects at any time.

Have fun!

Edit: Just to let everyone know, I'm using the forum through my mobile so may occasionally make some mistakes! Please feel free to point them out so I can correct them! It also may take me a little while to write everything out on my phone, so I really appreciate your patience (patience is an important trait for a sleuth to have, after all. :wink: ).

** Just wanted to add, as I don't want to catch anybody out, that although this is a mystery based on TS4, it is a story made up by myself. Some things may occur that can't actually be done in-game (such as detailed conversations between Sims). You may have to suspend your belief and use your imagination at times. :smile:

The Big Reveal (Whodunnit!)
I've put the reveal in a spoiler so that those who have not been able to participate can still read through the clues and have a go at solving it themselves. I also ask that you put any replies/discussion about the reveal in a spoiler too. Thank you!
The Re-enactment:
Armed with the rough timeline of the night of the murder, you decide to take the Goths and Lily back to Chez Llama to re-enact their movements that night.
They all take the same places they were in before, and move around as they claimed to that night as you time them.
Everyone's movements line up with the time line perfectly...apart from one person.
During the re-enactment Cassandra Goth returns to the table six minutes after she left. Yet, according to the original time line, she returned to the table after eight minutes.
What was she doing during those two unaccounted for minutes?

Mystery Solved:
Who: Cassandra Goth has confessed to the premeditated murder of Victor Goth.

Why: Cassandra states that she became aware of her Mother's affair with Victor Goth a while ago when she came home early from school one day and spied on them. She was not surprised by her Mother's behaviour, as she had been known to flirt.
Cassandra also suggests that her Mother's disappearance involved her running away with another man.
She did not care what her Mother got up to, but found it deeply unfair to her Father. She thought that by removing Victor from her Mother's life, her parents could be closer.

How: Cassandra had found a recipe for Pufferfish Nigiri and had been holding onto it until just the right moment. When she found out they would be going to dinner with the Fengs she quickly made a (poor) Pufferfish Nigiri and hid it in her bag.
At Chez Llama Victor ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri as she thought he would, and she waited patiently for the perfect opportunity.
When she came back from the restroom she saw that Salim was distracted by Bella. She knew that the Pufferfish Nigiri should be prepared by now and she snuck into the kitchen and switched the dishes. Lilliana was very busy and did not notice her.
When Bella ran out of the restaurant after Victor's death, Cassandra followed her and this is when she disposed of the excellent Pufferfish Nigiri.

Epilogue - Six Months Later
Cassandra Goth
Currently carrying out a prison sentence for the murder of Victor Feng. She and her Father write to eachother regularly, he has forgiven her.

Bella Goth
Disappeared again. Rumour has it that she is living with another man in Sulani.

Mortimer Goth
Has sold his family's San Myshuno home and now dedicates all of his time to search for Bella.

Alexander Goth
Now attends a boarding school where he is part of an excellent music program, he is doing very well and hopes to become a famous pianist.

Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab
Nothing much has changed for the Landgraabs. Geoffrey is still currently running San Myshuno with Nancy by his side.

Lily Feng
Despite their marital problems, she realised that Victor's political career and causes could have greatly benefited San Myshuno. She quit her job as a CEO and has decided to run against Geoffrey Landgraab. She plans to reinstate the Simoleons for Everyone cause.

Lilliana Kealoha
Quit her job at Chez Llama and opened her own restaurant in Newcrest. Pufferfish Nigiri is not on the menu.

Salim Benali
Wrote a best selling mystery novel inspired by the murder which earned him enough money to quit his waiter job.
When he is not writing he assists Lily with her political campaign and teaches a Creative Writing course at Britechester.
Post edited by GirlFromIpanema on

Comments

• foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    @GirlFromIpanema I am loving this!!! I will be back to ask questions I promise but due to illness it takes extra time for info to sink into my poor befuddled brain - I was too late for the other thread, so thrilled that you started another thank you!! :D
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    This is awesome! I'm so excited to have inspired you!

What is the relationship between the Chef and The Goths/Lily?
    What is the relationship between Salim and the Goths/Lily Feng?
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    Yay, another mystery!! The first one sounded like lots of fun as well, but I didn’t have time to participate, regrettably, and I do so enjoy a good mystery :)

- What did Bella talk to the waiter about?
    - Was Victor the only one who had ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri?
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hi everyone, sorry for my late response, my afternoon ended up being busier than I expected! I'll try to reply more quickly in future.

@bluedanube Great detective work! As every sleuth knows, it is very important to be able to invision the crime in the mind's eye. Luckily, Salim Benali remembered where everyone was seated and further discussion with the diners confirmed everyone's seating arrangements.
    Below is a (very rough) sketch of the restaurant plan including the seating areas, the kitchen, the bar, the stage, the walkway, and the stairs leading to the restrooms (I apologise for my shoddy handwriting!). I have also included a picture of the Chez Llama layout (from online as I haven't had a chance to get into my game today). If it isn't clear enough please let me know!
    Chez Llama layout with diners' seating plan listed below:
    thFiSMe.jpg
    1. Lily Feng 2. Bella Goth 3. Alexander Goth 4. Victor Feng 5. Mortimer Goth 6. Cassandra Goth 7. Nancy Landgraab 8. Geoffrey Landgraab

Picture of Chez Llama:
    RljBJPW.png

@foxybilly I understand and I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far! Don't worry if you don't have time to participate - all clues will be added to the original post and the "big reveal" will be hidden inside a spoiler, so you can still play along afterwards!

@imhappy I'm glad that you get a turn at sleuthing, and thank you again for inspiring the game!

Of course, relationships always seem to play an important role!
    - Lilliana (chef) states that she did not know the Fengs or Goths well at all, but they did visit Chez Llama regularly.
    - Salim (waiter) also claims to not know either family well but was familiar with Victor Feng's political career. He also states that he is a fan of Mortimer Goth's books, and that he is a huge inspiration to him, although he's never spoken to him apart from to take his order.

@Greyling I'm very happy that you've been able to participate in this one!

Great questions!
    - According to Salim, Bella approached him to speak about his writing. She was aware that he was an aspiring author and had invited him to visit the Goths' apartment and talk to her husband.
    Bella confirms that she invited Salim to her apartment, and that she thought he may enjoy the opportunity to chat with her husband, who is a famous author.

- Lilliana states that only one order of Pufferfish Nigiri was brought to her that evening, but she wasn't sure who it was for. Salim confirms that he did only take one order for that dish and that it was indeed for Victor Feng, in fact, he adds, that's what he always ordered. Lily Feng and the Goths also state that Victor Feng always ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri when they ate at Chez Llama.

I will be adding the above information to my original post under the clues/notes sections.
    I didn't realize the Landgraabs are there. Are they also suspects?

Any of the suspects thinking of running in the political career?
    edited July 2021
    @imhappy Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab were indeed there. They can be found under the "Diners" spoiler in my first post, along with their possible motives and their statements (sorry, I know it's a lot to read through!)

Geoffrey Landgraab had been running against (and had been beaten) by Victor Feng. With Victor gone, Geoffrey is back in power, noone is currently considering running against him. :smile:
    edited July 2021
    Just wanted to add, as I don't want to catch anybody out, that although this is a mystery based on TS4, it is a story made up by myself. Some things may occur that can't actually be done in-game (such as detailed conversations between Sims). You may have to suspend your belief and use your imagination at times. :smile:
    @imhappy Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab were indeed there. They can be found under the "Diners" spoiler in my first post, along with their possible motives and their statements (sorry, I know it's a lot to read through!)

Geoffrey Landgraab had been running against (and had been beaten) by Victor Feng. With Victor gone, Geoffrey is back in power, noone is currently considering running against him. :smile:

Looks like we have a motive! Can we search his house?
    > @GirlFromIpanema said:
    > Hi everyone, sorry for my late response, my afternoon ended up being busier than I expected! I'll try to reply more quickly in future.

@GirlFromIpanema - no need to apologize, real life comes first. Hope you had a lovely afternoon :)
    > @bluedanube said:
    > Sorry. There's something very weird about this. Mortimer was also present at Chez Llama, correct? Why would Salim need a formal invitation over to their apartment to talk to him when he was just there? That threw me off a little bit. :(

Yes, something fishy seems to be going on ;)
    I wonder if perhaps Bella talked to Salim to keep him preoccupied so someone else could switch the pufferfish in the meantime? But what would the motive be?

It seems well-known that Victor always ordered the Pufferfish Nigiri at Chez Lama, but did others besides the Fengs, the Goths and the staff at the restaurant know this?

@GirlFromIpanema - was Victor's fondness for that particular dish so widely known that the Landgraabs were also aware of the fact that he always ordered it when going to Chez Lama?
    - Also where are the dishes placed when Lilliana has finished preparing them? Close to the doorway?
    - Oh, and on a sidenote, what genre of books does Mortimer write?
    edited July 2021
    @imhappy Geoffrey Landgraab is reluctant to let you search his penthouse, but Nancy Landgraab convinces him to allow you, telling him that it could look bad in the press if he refuses a search.
    However, nothing suspicious is found, mostly work stuff.
    While rooting through Geoffrey's work files you find a file with Victor's name on. Inside the file are photographs of Victor and a woman. The photos are grainy, and look like they were taken through an apartment window. The woman has her back to the camera and is wearing a backless dress.

@bluedanube
    I've put all the answers to your questions in a spoiler, as there is quite a lot of information.
    Hope I didn't miss anything!
    From the coroner:

What is the estimated time of death?
    The coroner's report states 6.52 to be the approximate time if death (roughly 20 minutes after the Victim ate the fatal dish).

From Lilliana Kealoha (chef):

What was the approximate time that the order was sent in?
    Lilliana remembers Salim bringing the order to the kitchen at around 6.10.
    What was the approximate time that the order was ready to be served?
    Lilliana states it takes her 15 minutes to prepare Pufferfish Nigiri (and most of the other meals are pre-prepared), so it would have been ready at 6.25. Lilliana does recall having to call for service twice, but puts that down to being short staffed and Salim being occupied with a busy restaurant.
    Was there ever an instance where she left the kitchen?
    No.
    Who else was on duty?
    Lilliana was the only Chef on duty that night.

From Salim Benali (waiter):

What was the approximate time that Lilliana call for the order to be served?
    Salim claims he heard Lilliana call for service at around 6.31.
    What was the approximate time that the Pufferfish Nigiri reach the table?
    According to Salim, the Goths, and Lily, their meal reached them at 6.32.
    Who was at the table when the dish was served?
    Salim remembers seeing all Goths and both Fengs at the table when he served the meal. The Goths and Lily confirm that they were all there.
    When did he stop speaking to Bella?
    Salim claims he stopped talking to Bella at 6.31 when he heart Lilliana call for service.
    What else was he pre-occupied with when he wasn't serving the dishes?
    Salim claims his duties that night included taking orders, cleaning tables, throwing out rubbish, and of course serving the meals.
    Who else was on duty?
    Salim was the only waiter on duty.

From Bella Goth:

Was the family close to the Fengs?
    Bella claims that the Fengs we're good neighbours, but that her family were closer to Victor as he was easier to get along with.
    What was the approximate time that she left her table to order her drink?
    Bella says she left the table at around 6.22.
    What was the approximate time that she returned to the table after speaking with the bartender?
    Bella states she only spoke to the bartender to order her drink, she then started talking to Salim at about 6.24. She says she returned to her table at 6.31.
    Was she in favor of Victor's political candidature?
    Although Bella and her family are wealthy, and so would not be impacted by the Simoleons for Everyone cause, she states that she supported it, and thought that Victor's promotion was well deserved.

What is her opinion of Geoffrey Landgraab?
    Bella tells investigators that she things Geoffrey is an insidious, slimy, monster of a man and that he reminds her of the evil creatures from her husband's books.

From Cassandra Goth:

What was the approximate time that she left her table to visit the restroom?
    Cassandra claims she left the table at 6.21.
    What was the approximate time that she returned to the table?
    She states she returned to the table at 6.29.
    According to Cassandra, the Goths and Fengs spent quite alot of time together. Lily was always more difficult to get along with, but Victor was always very friendly.

From Mortimer and Alexander Goth:

States that the two families saw eachother often and went out to dinner regularly. Lily can be a little stuck up, but is always civil, and Victor was always friendly.

Was he at the table at all time?
    Mortimer and Alexander claim to have never left the table.

1. Did he witness the Pufferfish Nigri being served to Victor Feng?
    According to them, all meals were served together at about 6.32, including Victor's Pufferfish Nigiri.
    2. Who was the server? (I'm assuming Salim Benali?)
    Salim Benali.
    3. Was Victor Feng at the table throughout the entire duration (leading up to his death)?
    According to Mortimer and Alexander, Victor Feng never left the table.
    4. Who else was at the table with him?
    Victor, Mortimer and Alexander were at the table the entire evening. Apart from the brief moments they left, Lily, Bella and Cassandra were also at the table. No one else came to the table apart from Salim to take their order and serve their meal.

From the bartender:

What was the approximate time that Bella Goth ordered her drink?
    What was the approximate time that Bella Goth left the bar?
    6.24, according to the bartender she stayed near the bar talking to Salim for a little while.
    From their POV, could they tell who was at the table during the few minutes leading up to the murder?
    The bartender claims to have not paid much attention to the table.

From Geoffrey Landgraab:

What was the approximate time that he left to visit the restroom?
    Claims to have gone to the restroom at 6.30 to claim down.
    What was the approximate time that he returned to the table?
    Claims he used the facilities and had a word with himself in the mirror, and returned to his table at 6.53, Victor was already dead.
    How would a victory (i.e. his) at the election benefit the town, as a counter against Victor's Simoleons for Everyone scheme?
    Geoffrey believes that it is important that everyone knows their place in San Myshuno. He disliked the Simoleons for Everyone cause as he felt that poor Sims should be inspired by the rich, and aspire to work hard for Simoleons.

From Nancy Landgraab:

What was the approximate time that her husband leave to visit the restroom?
    What was the approximate time that he returned to the table?
    From her POV, who was at the table during the few minutes leading up to the murder?
    Nancy states she felt awkward seeing the Fengs and Goths celebrating Victor's win against Geoffrey so tried hard to avoid looking at them. She does say she noticed the women leaving and returning during the evening out if the corner of her eye.

Great work! Your thorough sleuthing has allowed you to create a rough timeline of events that evenings:

6. 00 - Fengs and Goths arrive at Chez Llama
    6.08 - Salim takes their order
    6.10 - Salim brings order to the kitchen
    6.18 - Lily leaves the table to go to the restroom
    6.21- Cassandra leaves the table to go to the restroom
    6.22 - Bella leaves the table to go to the bar
    6.24 - Lily returns to the table
    6.24 - After ordering her drink Bella speaks to Salim
    6.25 - Lilliana's first call for service (Which Salim does not hear)
    6.29 - Cassandra returns to table
    6.30 - Geoffrey goes to rest room
    6.31 - Lilliana's second call for service (which Salim does hear)
    6.31 - Bella returns to table
    6.32 - Food is served by Salim
    6.52 - Approximate time of death according to the coroner
    6.53 - Geoffrey returns to his table
    bluedanube wrote: »
    What were Salim and Bella discussing?

Sorry. There's something very weird about this. Mortimer was also present at Chez Llama, correct? Why would Salim need a formal invitation over to their apartment to talk to him when he was just there? That threw me off a little bit. :(

According to Salim, he is a huge fan of Mortimer's and would love to talk to him, however he felt his work was not yet up to scratch and would have been embarrassed to show it to Mortimer. He wanted to wait until he had a polished manuscript. Bella's invitation was very surprising.

Mortimer tells investigators that he had no idea about the invitation. He is not really a people-person and Bella usually does all the talking anyway. He would have been happy to meet with Salim but he has been rather busy writing his latest novel.

@Greyling
    - The Landgraabs claim to not know that Victor always ordered the same dish.
    - Lilliana says that she puts prepared dishes on a counter near the door, so that waiters can take them quickly and easily.
    - Mortimer writes gothic horror/monster thriller novels.

Phew! I think I covered everything, if I've missed anything please let me know.
    I'll be adding some of the above details to the clues/notes sections.

Excellent Sleuthing!
  • PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2021
    Oh wow, that was a lot to get through. This is awesome! Thank you for messaging me about this. I wasn't able to check yesterday so I'm glad that it's not over yet.

From the seating chart, Geoffrey's back was to the Feng/Goth table and the closest so he was probably ear shot and heard when Victor ordered the pufferfish.

1. How did Bella know Salim was an aspiring author?
    2. Did the two know each other prior to this, outside of the restaurant?
    3. Did Salim walk by her and she stopped him or did she go looking for him?
    4. Was there a date set for when he was supposed to go to the Goth's home? And if so, would Mortimer be there?
    5. This is a weird question, but how loud was their conversation?
    6. Someone asked about Mortimer, but what type of writing does Salim want to do?
    7. Is there any information on who the woman in the picture was? Has anyone been asked about her?
    8. Salim said they were understaffed yet he had time to stop and have a conversation. How many other people were working? And did anyone notice someone who wasn't supposed to be there?

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! Thanks again!

• PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    I'm back!

1. Since Lily and Cassandra went to the bathroom at around the same time, did they see each other? Can they confirm they saw each other?
    2. If they go out regularly, since they know each other, why didn't they go together, as people in the same table usually do?
    3. Did Bella have a conversation with anyone else other than Salim or the bartender while at the bar?
    4. Did Bella and Victor have a relationship outside of their family outings?
    5. Can anyone confirm that Geoffrey was in the bathroom?
    6. Is it possible to know which apartment the photo was taken from based on any landmarks or street or anything?
    7. Why did Geoffrey have this picture? Was there a timestamp on it?
    8. Was Lily and Victor's marriage in a good place?

Sorry for so many questions. I may be too invested in this.
    @Pixilated Don't apologise! Asking questions is how you play the game, I just wish I could keep up!

Your answers are in the spoiler below, I've combines both your sets if questions:
    1. How did Bella know Salim was an aspiring author?

Bella tells investigators that San Myshuno isn't a very large city and everyone mostly knows everyone's business. Salim always introduces himself as a writer rather than a waiter.

2. Did the two know each other prior to this, outside of the restaurant?

Bella and Salim claim that other than when the Goths visit Chez Llama while he is working, they have never spoken.

3. Did Salim walk by her and she stopped him or did she go looking for him?

According to Salim, he was on his way to the kitchen when Bella saw him from the bar and approaches him.

4. Was there a date set for when he was supposed to go to the Goth's home? And if so, would Mortimer be there?

Salim says that no date was set, but Bella said he was welcome to visit anytime he liked.

Bella states that her husband is almost always home, but usually locked away in his study writing.

5. This is a weird question, but how loud was their conversation?

Upon asking witnesses you gather that no one actually heard what was said, it seemed to be a rather quiet conversation. According to Cassandra, he said she saw them before returning to the table, her Mother was practically whispering in his ear.

6. Someone asked about Mortimer, but what type of writing does Salim want to do?

Salim tells investigators that he writes anything and everything, from poetry to sci-fi thrillers. He's still trying to find his niche.

7. Is there any information on who the woman in the picture was? Has anyone been asked about her?

Geoffrey Landgraab admits that he hired a Private Investigator to spy on Victor Feng to try and get come dirt on him to smear his campaign. He does not know who the woman in the photo is, it's such a grainy image that it could just be Lily for all he knows, so the photo was useless to him anyway.

Is there anyone else the Sim Sleuths would like to ask about the photo?

8. Salim said they were understaffed yet he had time to stop and have a conversation. How many other people were working? And did anyone notice someone who wasn't supposed to be there?

The only staff that night were Lilliana (chef), Salim (waiter), and the bartender (who was at the bar the whole night and is under no suspicion).
    Salim says that he really shouldn't have stopped to talk to Bella, and that he felt bad that he had gotten distracted and missed Lilliana's first call for service.

No one noticed anyone who shouldn't have been there, but in fairness, all the staff were extremely busy that night so didn't really notice much at all.

1. Since Lily and Cassandra went to the bathroom at around the same time, did they see each other? Can they confirm they saw each other?

Lily says that she did hear someone entering the restroom while she was in the stall, and that they were still in the stall when she left.
    Cassandra says that when she got to the restroom one of the stalls was closed. She assumed it was Lily but she was gone by the time Cassandra left the restroom.

2. If they go out regularly, since they know each other, why didn't they go together, as people in the same table usually do?

Cassandra says that Lily isn't the kind of person to invite others to the bathroom. She is civil but not very social. Cassandra also claims that she did not know she needed to use the restroom until after Lily had gone.

3. Did Bella have a conversation with anyone else other than Salim or the bartender while at the bar?

No.

4. Did Bella and Victor have a relationship outside of their family outings?

According to Bella they mostly spent time together with everyone. Occasionally they would meet up on Victor's day off and have a coffee or something.

5. Can anyone confirm that Geoffrey was in the bathroom?

Nancy claims that she watched her husband go up the stairs towards the bathroom.

6. Is it possible to know which apartment the photo was taken from based on any landmarks or street or anything?

It was a grainy image, and too hard to tell. It looks like a nice apartment though.

7. Why did Geoffrey have this picture? Was there a timestamp on it?

Geoffrey Landgraab admits that he hired a Private Investigator to spy on Victor Feng to try and get come dirt on him to smear his campaign. He does not know who the woman in the photo is, it's such a grainy image that it could just be Lily for all he knows, so the photo was useless to him anyway.
    It was taken about a week prior to the murder.

8. Was Lily and Victor's marriage in a good place?

According to Lily their marriage was good; they were both successful and had money.

@bluedanube
    The answers to your questions are in the spoiler below.
    Follow -up with Liliana Kealoha:

1. How long has Salim been a part-time waiter?

Around 3-4 months.

2. Were the Landgraabs also regulars?

They visited often, perhaps once a month.

3. What was she pre-occupied with between 6.25 to 6.31?

Cooking, non stop. It was busy and she had her head over the pans without a break.

Follow – up with Lily Feng:
    1. Did she notice anyone else using the restroom?

Answered above.

2. Describe her marital relationship with Victor.

Answered above.

3. Is she generally apolitical?

Lily says she sends to stay out of politics, but supported her husband in whatever he did in his career.
    If yes, no follow up questions.
    If no, 3i.) does she believe that democracy is the most favorable system of governance?

4. Was she completely in favor of the Simoleons for Everyone scheme? Or was there an inherent disagreement?

She states it made Victor popular with voters, so she was in favour.

5. What were Victor’s plans to counteract against any attempts of foiling his governing term by Geoffrey?

Lily was unsure, as she said, she stays out of politics and simply supports from a distance.

6. What were Victor’s motivations to overthrow Geoffrey from his reign of sovereignty?

Lily states that he didn't have an issue with Geoffrey, but simply wanted to have power in San Myshuno.

7. Any interests in a political run within the near future?

No.
    edited July 2021
    Update!
    New statement from Lilliana:
    Lilliana admits to being busy but insists that the Pufferfish Nigiri that she made was of excellent quality! The poor quality one found in Victor Feng's stomach cannot have been the one she made.

Search of Chez Llama:
    Following Lilliana's statement, you decide to search Chez Llama. In a bin outside the front of the restaurant you find a Pufferfish Nigiri of excellent quality. This must be the one that Lilliana made.

With no other evidence against Lilliana, she is released from prison.

Lily Feng's possible motive has been updated:
    Was there a problem in Victor and Lily's marriage? According to Lily her marriage was good; they were both successful and had money.
    No more than two or three days, I'd say. But it isn't too relevant. :smile:
    Oooh, so many exciting things going on and so many excellent questions :)

I wonder about the pufferfish nigiri of excellent quality found in the bin outside...?
    Bella ran after outside because she claims she was horrified at Victor’s death, but maybe she ran outside to dump the excellent pufferfish in the bin? However, she was never outside of anyone’s view during the entire time so she couldn’t have made the switch. According to the overview of the seating arrangement, Bella was sitting between Lily and Alexander. Alexander never left the table, but Lily did. Could she and Bella be in this together? But if so, why?

Could we search the Goth residence as well?

Oh, and is it possible to ask vendors in San Myshuno if anyone has recently purchased pufferfish from them, or would this be beyond our “jurisdiction”?