Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A toddler can't interact with another toddler

What's the point of the play dates when toddlers can't interact with each other? My toddler has level 3 in communication and she still can't interact with another toddlers. There's simply no option when I click on them. Only to call them closer if she's a little bit far. Like what the ??? This should not be happening. Play dates are for playing with each other and socializing and that is simply not possible.
-probably just playing Phasmophobia :p

Comments

• Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I have never hosted a play date before. This sounds very strange. Hopefully someone can shed some light? :/
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    What's the point of the play dates when toddlers can't interact with each other? My toddler has level 3 in communication and she still can't interact with another toddlers. There's simply no option when I click on them. Only to call them closer if she's a little bit far. Like what the ??? This should not be happening. Play dates are for playing with each other and socializing and that is simply not possible.

Maybe it is a glitch with the playdate event? I have twin toddlers and they have always been able to interact with each other. They can hug each other and babble at each other. As they gain communication skill they can talk to each other about toddler things just the same as they can talk to other older sims (they have some limited negative interactions too). They can play together with the dollhouse, and now with the new play tent as well (which has similar animations to the doll house, but at least it both raises the social need and increases relationship). They can also dance together (if their movement skill is high enough) and watch tv together. It is also possible for a parent to read to two toddlers at once and they will sit nearby and both listen.

However, I do wish toddlers had more unique interactions that they could perform together. I wish they could play with the blocks together, play with a small stuffed animal or doll together, play peekaboo with each other, imitate each other, play with the toybox together, fight over a toy, snatch things away from each other etc.

I also wish there were more interactions between children and toddlers. I miss two activities they could do from the Sims 2: teach/sing a nursery rhyme, and play side by side with the activity table. That activity table was great for all ages. No matter whether they were all drawing or building with the blocks together, they talked a lot while using it and their relationship level would increase fast. It would also be nice to have the toy xylophone from Sims 2 and 3 back; Sim parents and teens could even help the toddlers with it. (I don't miss that Wabbit head that gave charisma though -- it was both creepy and annoying).

• Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @simfriend1968 Unfortunatelly it is not just with the playdate event. I had my family, the toddler included, visit the other families with toddlers (they are all cousins) and even though they all have at least level 3 in communication they weren't able to interact with each other. What a bummer.

I agree, more interactions in general would be pretty great. Especially those blocks and the activity table.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I also wish there were more interactions between children and toddlers. I miss two activities they could do from the Sims 2: teach/sing a nursery rhyme, and play side by side with the activity table. That activity table was great for all ages. No matter whether they were all drawing or building with the blocks together, they talked a lot while using it and their relationship level would increase fast.

Oh, I had forgotten all about that! That was really adorable, having the older sibling teach a nursery rhyme to the toddler. They should definitely bring that back.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have to admit I recently bought Toddler Stuff for the playdates and had a similar experience.
  • Options
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I have to admit I recently bought Toddler Stuff for the playdates and had a similar experience.

Well, that is not what I wanted to hear :( I can't believe they gave us playdates but toddlers are not able to interact with each other. That does not make any sense.
  • Options
    calaprfy wrote: »

Well, that is not what I wanted to hear :( I can't believe they gave us playdates but toddlers are not able to interact with each other. That does not make any sense.

Maybe this inability to interact with other toddlers has something to do with toddlers belonging to other families then. I admit I have never tried to host a Playdate event. (You are making me want to test this out). But I do know that my twin toddlers in the same family have no trouble at all interacting with each other. When I have one toddler selected, I can click on the toddler's twin and a bunch of interactions pop up, including hug, babble at (and later in the communication skill talk to ) and so on. And, as I was saying, they can play with the dollhouse together and play in the play tent together too.

If it is true that they cannot interact with toddlers outside the household, maybe that is a bug that should be reported? It is definitely something that needs to be fixed. In general they need to overhaul the visiting system. Remember how in Sims 2 there was the option to invite a sim or to invite that sim's household? That's how I used to make my toddlers and children meet their cousins. We need that option back in the Sims 4 as well.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I know toddlers within families (siblings) can interact with each other just fine? Is it just toddlers on a certain extended family (I don't really count cousins as that extended but it isn't immediate, I guess) that can't interact or...?
  • Options
    @simfriend1968 @BlueR0se The toddlers have triplets as their parents :D And the triplets have an older sister, so at a time I actually had 4 toddlers at the same time in one household and they all were able to interact with each other just fine. The options were limited, but it was possible. It is just when they are not a part of the same household. But that still doesn't make any sense. If I am able to throw a playdate then toddlers need to have the option of socializing.

Please feel free to test if you want and let me know how it went if you can or want :)
  • Options
    @simfriend1968 @BlueR0se The toddlers have triplets as their parents :D And the triplets have an older sister, so at a time I actually had 4 toddlers at the same time in one household and they all were able to interact with each other just fine. The options were limited, but it was possible. It is just when they are not a part of the same household. But that still doesn't make any sense. If I am able to throw a playdate then toddlers need to have the option of socializing.

Please feel free to test if you want and let me know how it went if you can or want :)

You are making me realize I am too limited in how I play with my toddlers. I have never had toddler triplets (or any kind of triplets) and I have also never allowed my sims that have toddlers to have a playdate or to interact with other toddlers. They never seem to come to parks for instance and we don't yet have the "Invite Household" option, so it is difficult. I have been playing with a single sim who is working as a decorator since the DHD pack dropped, but I will have to go back to my toddler household and see for myself. Can toddlers in the same family interact with each other while visiting another toddler or do all toddler-toddler interactions cease? If so, that seems like it is definitely a bug and should be reported at answers HQ.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    It's weird how it is, when I have mcc I cheat up their friendship so they can interact with people.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I've had playdates before and toddlers should be able to interact. It sounds like a bug. I admit that I haven't had a playdate in a while but it sounds broken.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    it works for me had one the other day my toddlers even hugged the one one from the other house hold
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @DoloresGrey put them in a group and do an activity together.
    Also try with a brand new save
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    So it sounds like the toddlers have to build up relationships first?
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Building up a relationship is pretty hard when they can't interact. 😂
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    When I have a toddler as an active sim and click on another toddler nothing happens. Nothing pops up :(

New save works even without them being in a group. In my old save it doesn't work at all, even not during the event. Group can't be formed because no options pop up. Nothing happens when I click on a toddler. They are all a family. If I click on my sim's wife, that would be an aunt to the toddler, not blood related, my toddler can interact with her.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »

Building up a relationship is pretty hard when they can't interact. 😂

Now why didn't I think of that? lol