Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Skyrryx wrote: »
    I'm not mad about the number of male clothing in CAS... I'm disapointed. :'( No accessory, 3 hairs, 1 beard, 3 hats, 3 shoes. See by yourself : https://simscommunity.info/2021/07/08/the-sims-4-cottage-living-full-create-a-sim-overview/

Sometimes I really don't understand their default gender choices for hair. A hairstyle they've placed on one of the pack's premade male sims (the creature keeper) is flagged as female and not as male by default.

Why? They could have set that hair as default masculine and female sims would still have 8 or 9 feminine hair defaults. :confused:
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    In regards to Mrs. Crumplebottom, technically there are two characters with the same name. Cornelia's sister and another one that I think was associated with Sims 1-2 (who likely married into the Crumplebottom family, while Agnes was born into it and just retook her maiden name after her fiance/husband died). Due to her not being released along with the Goth family, which one she is will probably be kept vague or they'll go with the "married into the family" Mrs. Crumplebottom, which I would be slightly disappointed in cause I prefer Agnes of the two.
    Skyrryx wrote: »
    I'm not mad about the number of male clothing in CAS... I'm disapointed. :'( No accessory, 3 hairs, 1 beard, 3 hats, 3 shoes. See by yourself : https://simscommunity.info/2021/07/08/the-sims-4-cottage-living-full-create-a-sim-overview/

Man, that's really disproportionate. Female T-E always had more stuff and that's not new, but oof.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    It just looks like shallow gameplay - there doesn't seem to be anything new that we don't already have. $60 to grow plants?
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this pack in general but I have reservations about how things will grow with Seasons pack installed.

Already in my game the plants and collectables do not generate quickly enough. Our Sims can't just go to an area and find things growing and it takes time for them to spawn and grow. It means spending quite a lot of time in that area. At one time I played around all the pre-made households in each world and this seemed to help for a while but I think patches and updates change my game. This was never much of an issue when the Sims 4 first came out but more so after the Seasons Pack was added making plants seasonal.

Plants appear to grow slowly and to evolve. Growing plants used to be fun but it seems more a chore these days. The outdoor gardens are a mess with plants re-setting back to little sapling now and then, when they have been fully grown and still in season. Plants that are in their growing season look brown and dead during Fall and Winter. Such a shame as really spoils the look of the plant. I have even found growing plants indoors, in a sheltered place, or in a container in an apartment, not responding as they should.

Gardening has been one of my favourite aspects of the Sims 4 but it's not the same as when the game first came out with changes that have been made. For me it has made the game a lot less fun in gardening and finding collectables.

It will be interesting to see how this pack will play with seasons, you don't tend to grow a lot of crops during winter in real life so I wonder what the gameplay will be like during winter.

Yes it will be interesting.

Gardening with the seasons has not been a lot of fun in the game for me. Pre Seasons it was easier to find and graft plants. Now it is a waiting game with plants growing at different times of the year and when they don't grow properly in their growing season this makes it frustrating. Often those very plants we want to get from grafting show up in the game in other ways which kind of removes the necessity to graft apart from fulfilling the aspiration connected to it.

Only in my game yesterday I had managed to grow a cow plant only to find the snow in Winter had returned it to a couple of horns growing out of the ground (under the snow) but the cow plant was fully grown and invisible as a fully grown plant. My Sims could feed, play and pet it but it was invisible. It had reverted to the state of when it was first planted.

• PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    I am looking forward to this pack in general but I have reservations about how things will grow with Seasons pack installed.

Already in my game the plants and collectables do not generate quickly enough. Our Sims can't just go to an area and find things growing and it takes time for them to spawn and grow. It means spending quite a lot of time in that area. At one time I played around all the pre-made households in each world and this seemed to help for a while but I think patches and updates change my game. This was never much of an issue when the Sims 4 first came out but more so after the Seasons Pack was added making plants seasonal.

Plants appear to grow slowly and to evolve. Growing plants used to be fun but it seems more a chore these days. The outdoor gardens are a mess with plants re-setting back to little sapling now and then, when they have been fully grown and still in season. Plants that are in their growing season look brown and dead during Fall and Winter. Such a shame as really spoils the look of the plant. I have even found growing plants indoors, in a sheltered place, or in a container in an apartment, not responding as they should.

Gardening has been one of my favourite aspects of the Sims 4 but it's not the same as when the game first came out with changes that have been made. For me it has made the game a lot less fun in gardening and finding collectables.

Just a tip about growing and evolving plants since Seasons: when I want big gardens, I find having a couple of bee boxes scattered around my lots near the plants really helps with plant evolution, especially if your sim has a high relationship with the bees and can also use the pollinate function regularly. I use the bee box a lot and my sims' gardens are usually thriving; I'm not sure but I think it even helps the harvest ability to be more frequent (at least it seems that way).

However, when Eco Lifestyle came out this seemed to break gardens and I had the dirt pile problem (my in season plants would usually revert to dirt piles after the neighborhood went up to green, after fertilizing, and sometimes even after travelling). However, since the latest patch, I have been cautiously optimistic because I haven't seen any more dirt piles in my gardens and the plants seem to be producing harvestables (which can actually be harvested!), growing and evolving again like they used to do.

There is still one more plant-related problem: they still have not fixed the bug with the scientist career. I actually like to play scientists, and of course the plants never grow because the workday starts after 6 am. I used to have a mod that allowed scientists to go to work early, which allowed plants to be harvested at least, but unfortunately that mod has never been updated so I took it out.

Thank you for the tip. yes the bee boxes are very useful and the swarms for evolving the plants. I haven't had the time to experiment with a lot of indoor or sheltered plants.

I agree with you about the scientist career. I haven't played it for a while with newer packs installed but previously when Seasons came out, all the little tricks I had with plants at Scientist place of work were lost. It didn't add to the enjoyment but took it away. Sometimes making a game too much like real life doesn't always add to the enjoyment of playing.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2021

Just a tip about growing and evolving plants since Seasons: when I want big gardens, I find having a couple of bee boxes scattered around my lots near the plants really helps with plant evolution, especially if your sim has a high relationship with the bees and can also use the pollinate function regularly. I use the bee box a lot and my sims' gardens are usually thriving; I'm not sure but I think it even helps the harvest ability to be more frequent (at least it seems that way).

However, when Eco Lifestyle came out this seemed to break gardens and I had the dirt pile problem (my in season plants would usually revert to dirt piles after the neighborhood went up to green, after fertilizing, and sometimes even after travelling). However, since the latest patch, I have been cautiously optimistic because I haven't seen any more dirt piles in my gardens and the plants seem to be producing harvestables (which can actually be harvested!), growing and evolving again like they used to do.

There is still one more plant-related problem: they still have not fixed the bug with the scientist career. I actually like to play scientists, and of course the plants never grow because the workday starts after 6 am. I used to have a mod that allowed scientists to go to work early, which allowed plants to be harvested at least, but unfortunately that mod has never been updated so I took it out.

Thank you for the tip. yes the bee boxes are very useful and the swarms for evolving the plants. I haven't had the time to experiment with a lot of indoor or sheltered plants.

I agree with you about the scientist career. I haven't played it for a while with newer packs installed but previously when Seasons came out, all the little tricks I had with plants at Scientist place of work were lost. It didn't add to the enjoyment but took it away. Sometimes making a game too much like real life doesn't always add to the enjoyment of playing.

The scientist career problem could easily have been anticipated and solved had the Seasons team done a bit more work on cross-pack functionality (I mean, I know they did a ton, but they should have remembered that growing and harvesting plants are a key part of that career). Just the option to allow your sims to go to work at an earlier time would have fixed the bug (that's all my now-deleted mod used to do). It's maddening when they don't think about those key parts of other packs and inadvertently ruin a whole aspect of a pack.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    My sole quibble, but I feel it quite strongly:

Yes, I know llamas are a Sims mascot/in-joke/what have you. But if Henford-on-Bagley is in the Cotswolds, those should be SHEEP.

Agreed.

I mean, I do like that we have the llamas, actually. And I'm not one of the people who thinks we should have had several more animals; as much as I would have liked that, it's probably not realistic, so I can live without pigs and so on. But I really do think we could have had both sheep and llamas. In-jokes aside, I suspect they went with llamas and not sheep because they are larger and could be tied to the same shed as the cows, whereas sheep either would have had to be free-roaming or they would have required a completely new asset (a smaller shed or pen).

I don't have as strongly negative feelings about the pack as some people, and I did preorder it, and I am excited over all. But there's a short list of things for which I will keenly feel the absence, and sheep are on that list. (Sheep, along with a working tea set/tea table/kettle and picnic baskets being able to be used on the ground, as well as at least two more empty lots, are pretty much at the top of that list.)

I think one of the reasons is that llamas are increasingly being used in English farming as a way to protect chickens from foxes as they instinctively bond with and protect the chickens.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not a complaint but I just want to know what the sims team were thinking making a yorkshire pudding a full meal on its own.. :#

sims-4-cottage-living-food.jpg
    It looks so sad and lonely on the plate like that, its a side not a meal you'd have it on the side of the plate with a cooked meal, never on its own..Yorkshire-Pudding-2.jpg
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Not a complaint but I just want to know what the sims team were thinking making a yorkshire pudding a full meal on its own..

It looks so sad and lonely on the plate like that, its a side not a meal you'd have it on the side of the plate with a cooked meal, never on its own..

I had to laugh when I read your comment and saw the pic of it. I thought to myself, that's exactly how I would do it in RL (but, I'm super weird about food touching on my plate so I always have my sides in little dishes to not "taint" other food. LOL)

But, I agree, in the game it should most definitely be part of a meal and not a stand alone meal.
  • MarinutMarinut Posts: 3 New Member
    Honestly, it's the first time I've been super excited for a TS4 pack, but I do have gripes;

1. Bunnies/Other animals not being able to be "upgraded" into a household pet. I used to have pet bunnies, they were free roaming little pseudo-dogs. Loved them, so the ability to "have" bunnies, but only wild ones that come and go is a little dissappointing to me. However it's better than them being tied to a cage objects like the rodents, so I'll take what I can get. This point is expanded to chickens too. I want to have a few chickens as a pet in RL, so them being confined to the role of livestock is kinda meh.

I'm talking about very minor changes here too, maybe once you max your friendship with the animal you can upgrade them to a pet that stays inside your home, and then they'd have a few objects inside to fill needs (a litterbox & hay holder etc for bunny, idk really what for chickens)

I'm also sad only chickens are breedable. Baby bunnies?! Why deny this from us x(

2. Ponds being not swimmable.
    They have a "heat map" sort of system to show you which parts of the ponds your sims can splash in. Sooo....Why not do the same things for swimming? Have a certain depth be the swimming depth, or even have a separate tool for making swimmable ponds. Idk. I guess my pond mermaids will keep living in scummy pools for the time being.

3. The festivals seem very empty in all gamechanger footage. I was hoping for the kind of festivals in TS3 seasons. But so far what I've seen doesn't seem promising.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2021
    Marinut wrote: »
    Honestly, it's the first time I've been super excited for a TS4 pack, but I do have gripes;

1. Bunnies/Other animals not being able to be "upgraded" into a household pet. I used to have pet bunnies, they were free roaming little pseudo-dogs. Loved them, so the ability to "have" bunnies, but only wild ones that come and go is a little dissappointing to me. However it's better than them being tied to a cage objects like the rodents, so I'll take what I can get. This point is expanded to chickens too. I want to have a few chickens as a pet in RL, so them being confined to the role of livestock is kinda meh.

I'm talking about very minor changes here too, maybe once you max your friendship with the animal you can upgrade them to a pet that stays inside your home, and then they'd have a few objects inside to fill needs (a litterbox & hay holder etc for bunny, idk really what for chickens)

I'm also sad only chickens are breedable. Baby bunnies?! Why deny this from us x(

They have a "heat map" sort of system to show you which parts of the ponds your sims can splash in. Sooo....Why not do the same things for swimming? Have a certain depth be the swimming depth, or even have a separate tool for making swimmable ponds. Idk. I guess my pond mermaids will keep living in scummy pools for the time being.

3. The festivals seem very empty in all gamechanger footage. I was hoping for the kind of festivals in TS3 seasons. But so far what I've seen doesn't seem promising.

I think 1 and 2 are not so bad, you have things you can unlock with the animals so that they will stay around and you can customize the ponds pretty well. But I completely agree on 3, the festival or the fair as they call it looks pretty sad with only a few sims walking around.

I don't know why Maxis keeps making these festivals but they don't add enough things for sims to do or walk around so it feels more like a festival. From what I have seen they have not even animated you getting a prize in the competition, the festival just ends and you get a notification if you won or not.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    This point is expanded to chickens too. I want to have a few chickens as a pet in RL, so them being confined to the role of livestock is kinda meh.

One thing I want to try out is whether you can put a chicken in your home and basically keep it there. In theory, you should be able to do so, since you can put them in your inventory. You can also do that with cows, and with both, I guess the purpose is to be able to take them to a fair and place them on a pedestal. Same goes for cows, but unlike cows, the chickens can free-roam across your whole neighborhood if they're not fenced in. So my guess is that that means the chickens (but not the cows) would be able to be placed inside the home and you could just keep them there by locking your doors. The only issue might be feeding them, if the tossing feed interaction is tied to the coop somehow. But you could probably then either carry the chicken back and forth to the coop to feed it, or just keep it alive by constantly feeding it treats (which would definitely keep the relationship high and make it more pet-like).
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Not a complaint but I just want to know what the sims team were thinking making a yorkshire pudding a full meal on its own.. :#

sims-4-cottage-living-food.jpg
    It looks so sad and lonely on the plate like that, its a side not a meal you'd have it on the side of the plate with a cooked meal, never on its own..Yorkshire-Pudding-2.jpg

Originally it was its own dish as a starter as a way to cheaply fill people up so the meat goes further. Traditionally, this practice is still done in parts of Yorkshire.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    A sellingpoint to me was the Lamas, I want a really grumpy Lama who is not afraid of making my Sims uncomfortable, but what I seen from the GC the cow and the lama just step out pf their shed and stand there. I thought they would be more like the scare crow guy (forgot the name)
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Not a complaint but I just want to know what the sims team were thinking making a yorkshire pudding a full meal on its own..

It looks so sad and lonely on the plate like that, its a side not a meal you'd have it on the side of the plate with a cooked meal, never on its own..

I had to laugh when I read your comment and saw the pic of it. I thought to myself, that's exactly how I would do it in RL (but, I'm super weird about food touching on my plate so I always have my sides in little dishes to not "taint" other food. LOL)

But, I agree, in the game it should most definitely be part of a meal and not a stand alone meal.

There should be some sort of universal law prohibiting food touching. People should either get less food or more plate.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member

I think 1 and 2 are not so bad, you have things you can unlock with the animals so that they will stay around and you can customize the ponds pretty well. But I completely agree on 3, the festival or the fair as they call it looks pretty sad with only a few sims walking around.

I don't know why Maxis keeps making these festivals but they don't add enough things for sims to do or walk around so it feels more like a festival. From what I have seen they have not even animated you getting a prize in the competition, the festival just ends and you get a notification if you won or not.

Not to beat a dead llama or anything, but TS3 festivals were so cool.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Does anyone know if we get any new Likes/dislikes with Cottage Living ?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »

There should be some sort of universal law prohibiting food touching. People should either get less food or more plate.

lol, I bet it would drive some batty to see me mix my peas and mashed potatoes on my plate. ;)

I can't believe there is no judge that says you won! in the competition as someone mentioned. Even TS2 has that....sigh
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Apparently anything you enter in the fair disappears for good?
    calaprfy wrote: »

I think Deligracy said you have to be careful to put it back in your inventory before the fair disappears. She lost a cow that way. But James Turner entered a cow in a fair and returned home with it successfully, because he put it back in his inventory as soon as he saw the warning that the festival was ending.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member

I think Deligracy said you have to be careful to put it back in your inventory before the fair disappears. She lost a cow that way. But James Turner entered a cow in a fair and returned home with it successfully, because he put it back in his inventory as soon as he saw the warning that the festival was ending.

I watched that video, Deligracy actually lost that cow? I had hoped that it ended up in her household inventory.
    edited July 2021

I watched that video, Deligracy actually lost that cow? I had hoped that it ended up in her household inventory.

Well she seemed to think she lost it. She played sad music, pretended to cry and put up a RIP message with the cow's dates. Maybe it will be returned to her household at a later time or something, but the lesson I took away from the episode was to return any produce, pies or animals to the inventory before festival stuff (display platforms and whatnot) disappears.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited July 2021
    Small detail in the Gameplay trailer, the fox alarm have no visual effects.
    When I saw this alarm I immediately thought about the firefighter alarm in TS3 Ambitions.

x1bb1x10.jpg

ypby3610.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    Small detail in the Gameplay trailer, the fox alarm have no visual effects.
    When I saw this alarm I immediately thought about the firefighter alarm in TS3 Ambitions.

x1bb1x10.jpg

ypby3610.jpg

This is par for the course for TS4 isn't it. Argh, they made a billion+ on this game and they still can't animate clocks, alarms or other things like elevators. But let's all scream for more decor reskinned and or CAS assets retextured, yay. :s

ETA: Reading or watching snip its of gameplay from early access here we go again...Best pack eva! Best CAS eva! how many times can gamechangers claim that? What an oxymoron to repeat it for every pack and CAS that they release. I'm soooo tired of that phrase. Best eva!!! :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top