Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

Comments

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited June 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Apparently, we won't be able to cook the meat from the cows, chickens, or rabbits from the pack. Rabbits will roam around the world. Cows can be milked. Chickens give eggs. Dassit!

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Sims can eat meals featuring real meat, but can't get the real meat from the animals to make the food?

a number of years back, i read an article on the BBC about the heartbreaking actions of a farmer who started farming for the first few times and became really attached to his animals as he brought them into the world, raised them and then had to make the choice to send them to the slaughterhouse. He stated is was a horrible experience having to betray the animals he brought into the world and then started keeping distance between himself and his animals in order to keep from being hurt by what the industry is about.

it doesn't actually have anything to do with preferences of what one chooses to eat specifically, but if a small family started their own farming experience and the innocent children really became attached to the animals and then the dreaded day came on which animals would have to be killed, the children would be utterly in tears, possibly feel betrayed how their parents could do such a thing (and the parents themselves also feel the same pain but the children don't recognise it) which could very well lead to the preference towards eating habits away from meat. It gets into a real negative place if you kept discussing it.

for the sake of the game and to keep it within its positive realm, it was obviously decided that negative aspect won't happen and the stage between milking the cows and having the hens produce eggs to putting the animals down so they can be served up on your plate a few days later. Never-the-less, that is shadowing this pack rather ominously.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Because you can dress them and name them and make them different colors. In the real world, farmers have to be able to do that. Kids in 4H spend months raising a baby lamb or calf and have to accept that after the fair it goes to auction and gets eaten. But most simmers aren't farmers. Killing the cute rainbow cow, or the chicken in the top hat, is too emotional. Selling them and then buying meat from the store is an option to approximate the experience for the less sentimental.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    Because people can't handle the idea of people actually eating animals and meat..you know, like a lot of us do in the real world. I can see it now, the moment someone cracks oppen a pixelated egg in a skillet someones going to have a break down over it. But I agree, we should be able to, I mean that's the whole point of farm, my grandfather owned a farm and my aunt use to own chickens and they would eat the eggs, milk, and occasional cook up a chicken. It really makes no sense not to since there's already a meat wall that you can cut from in the game.
    Isn't the meat wall in the game vegan though? It's not from animals. It is a plant and I think it's literally called cruelty free meat. :lol: It counts as faux meat or a fruit or vegetable.

Killing animals and eating them just doesn't fit with the spirit and direction of the game (especially given things like the meat wall). I'm surprised people are surprised by this because having farm animals for meat was never a thing in past sims games.

I don't understand how eatting meat doesn't fit the spirit of the sims games when your sims can cook recipies like scrambled eggs and fish tacos? We're playing a game that has a history of letting us drown our own sims and sims dying by crazy spontanous events, like getting turned to gold or being crushed by a satalite, yet eating meat doesn't fit the game?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited June 2021
    well kid of think of it they already did that with the bugs didn't they and they made your sims pet them as well
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Because the meat wall offended people with Eco Lifestyle and leather usage offended people with Moschino Stuff pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I never lived on a farm, but my understanding is if farmers have Cows, Pigs & Chickens the farm animals are usually breed for food. What they could do in Sims 4 is make it so the Cow gets "magically" turned into beef for steak & burgers. Then the game "magically" generated a new Cow to replace the other one. Just a thought. ;)
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited June 2021
    Because people can't handle the idea of people actually eating animals and meat..you know, like a lot of us do in the real world. I can see it now, the moment someone cracks oppen a pixelated egg in a skillet someones going to have a break down over it. But I agree, we should be able to, I mean that's the whole point of farm, my grandfather owned a farm and my aunt use to own chickens and they would eat the eggs, milk, and occasional cook up a chicken. It really makes no sense not to since there's already a meat wall that you can cut from in the game.
    Isn't the meat wall in the game vegan though? It's not from animals. It is a plant and I think it's literally called cruelty free meat. :lol: It counts as faux meat or a fruit or vegetable.

Killing animals and eating them just doesn't fit with the spirit and direction of the game (especially given things like the meat wall). I'm surprised people are surprised by this because having farm animals for meat was never a thing in past sims games.

I don't understand how eatting meat doesn't fit the spirit of the sims games when your sims can cook recipies like scrambled eggs and fish tacos? We're playing a game that has a history of letting us drown our own sims and sims dying by crazy spontanous events, like getting turned to gold or being crushed by a satalite, yet eating meat doesn't fit the game?

Killing animals that you raise (pet, cuddle, and maybe even play games with) and eating them doesn't fit into the spirit of the game. If it did, we would have been able to eat the cows and chickens in the Sims 3. Allowing the player to indirectly kill sims isn't the same as having them have their sims slaughter animals.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Killing animals that you raise (pet, cuddle, and maybe even play games with) and eating them doesn't fit into the spirit of the game. If it did, we would have been able to eat the cows and chickens in the Sims 3. Allowing the player to indirectly kill sims isn't the same as having them have their sims slaughter animals.

I agree Sims having accidents isn’t the same.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member

Doesn’t fit the spirit of the game? It won’t be long till they have 50 ways to kill a sim. I just wanted a realistic farm, one that had reproducible animals that could be exchanged for money or food.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Cows and llamas can't be bred, so there's not much a point in buying a cow/llama and the pen just to kill it when you can simply buy meat. Chickens can be bred, so maybe there's an argument there, but I'm glad they can't be killed.

Also, sidenote, Minecraft is a survival game (and also in some places is called a horror game, though while it can be scary sometimes I don't see it that way) with block animals and block people, and in addition to killing animals you can kill each other. Sims is not a survival game, with animals and people looking way more realistic, and you can't have your sims kill your other sims without mods. It's a completely different set of circumstances.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's just not NICE to kill the cows.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

LOL. You wouldn't be writing from a computer if our ancestors hadn't figured out farming, which included livestock as well. For millennia our ancestor were namadic hunter-gatherers. Civilization as we know it today started with the use of animals to produce commodities such as meat, milk, leather and wool.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Random thought I would like to see a cow abducted by aliens. :*
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Apparently, we won't be able to cook the meat from the cows, chickens, or rabbits from the pack. Rabbits will roam around the world. Cows can be milked. Chickens give eggs. Dassit!

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Sims can eat meals featuring real meat, but can't get the real meat from the animals to make the food?

Yeah I agree with you, OP. Being raised around chickens I totally don't get why we can't kill, clean, cook and eat them. My all time favorite quote was from my grandson when he was 4 and he walked around back where we were getting ready to butcher a rooster.

He said: "I'm sorry Mr. Rooster but we have to kill you so we can eat." He was prompted and we were trying to keep this fact from him until he was a bit older so he would understand but apparently, he understood quite well.

Even at 4 children are capable of empathy and logic so yeah, this shouldn't even be an issue in the game.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    Ea just covering all bases they not want peta too get offended.
  • Options
    bandit5 wrote: »
    Ea just covering all bases they not want peta too get offended.

Please
    Eat
    The
    Animals

You mean that PETA? LMAO
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    For those who want the meat how about selling your cows and using the meat wall? With a bit of imagination it could work. You can even download meatwalls from the gallery under rooms.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    For those who want the meat how about selling your cows and using the meat wall? With a bit of imagination it could work. You can even download meatwalls from the gallery under rooms.

There's a meat wall? Right now my grandson is playing Fortnite so I can't get in the game since I play on Xbox One so can't check. But that's an interesting concept. Oh wait, is the meat wall something that comes with CoLi (since we can't call it CL)?
  • Options
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Random thought I would like to see a cow abducted by aliens. :*

That would be so funny! I'd love to see that too!
  • Options
    greydonn wrote: »
    Cows and llamas can't be bred, so there's not much a point in buying a cow/llama and the pen just to kill it when you can simply buy meat. Chickens can be bred, so maybe there's an argument there, but I'm glad they can't be killed.

Also, sidenote, Minecraft is a survival game (and also in some places is called a horror game, though while it can be scary sometimes I don't see it that way) with block animals and block people, and in addition to killing animals you can kill each other. Sims is not a survival game, with animals and people looking way more realistic, and you can't have your sims kill your other sims without mods. It's a completely different set of circumstances.

What??? You can't breed them? Then what's the point of them? Are they just animated decorations then? That's a negative for the pack in my opinion. (Still buying it as soon as it comes out [glitches and all]) but still, very sad.

But them cows sure look like some good eatin'!
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member

What??? You can't breed them? Then what's the point of them? Are they just animated decorations then? That's a negative for the pack in my opinion. (Still buying it as soon as it comes out [glitches and all]) but still, very sad.

Milk and wool is the point, if I remember correctly. That and companionship. :smile:
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options

Milk and wool is the point, if I remember correctly. That and companionship. :smile:

Oh yeah, milk and wool are things. I forgot. LOL
    But yeah, I want to breed cattle, feed cattle, kill cattle, eat cattle and repeat.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

There's a meat wall? Right now my grandson is playing Fortnite so I can't get in the game since I play on Xbox One so can't check. But that's an interesting concept. Oh wait, is the meat wall something that comes with CoLi (since we can't call it CL)?

The meat wall comes with EcoLifestyle. Opening requires getting to a certain level in one of the careers, I don't remember which one, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

It came with ecolifestyle. And if you have it you can just type meatwall under gallery search. "Rooms"
    Because normally you need to reach a certain level of a career to get one. But I don't play careers. There is also a mod by littlemisssam called meatwall for everyone. So no need for the career. I really don't know why they locked it behind a career though🙄
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    fYmPzFH.jpg

:D:D