Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paralives & Sims 4

Comments

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    It does look interesting from what I have seen and heard so far but my question is about how you would be able to make mods on it if you want to add some of your own touch to it and maybe custom music?
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    It does look interesting from what I have seen and heard so far but my question is about how you would be able to make mods on it if you want to add some of your own touch to it and maybe custom music?

The modding system isn't final yet, but they're looking into using the Steam workshop so that players can share things. They don't really plan to support script mods on release, but they might look into it in the future. No word on other details yet like custom music, but they're also adding a few touches that allow some in-depth customization. I can't really remember which details I can share, because some of it is Patreon content.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited September 2020
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    They want to add mental illness into the game? Time to send them a strongly worded email about why that's a horrible idea.

I like how Sebastian's just living his best life while the rest of us are indoors :joy:
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited September 2020
    They want to add mental illness into the game? Time to send them a strongly worded email about why that's a horrible idea.

They sent out a pretty in-depth survey to learn about people’s real-life experiences with both mental illness and being differently abled. Basically to put out the feelers to find out if they could/should integrate it in a thoughtful way.

They did something similar for world cultures and LGBTQIA. It’s interesting to see how they’re at least trying to learn about different life perspectives and assess how it can fit into the overall picture. Sims just asks if ya wanna be in a reality show yes/no. 😎

Post edited by popstarsley on
    ...I mean, they added an insane trait to TS3 and TS4 (and even renamed it "erratic" in 4's case). In Sims 2, sims who reach the lowest aspiration level have a mental breakdown (portrayed somewhat cartoonishly) and get visited by an invisible therapist NPC who fixes them (but first accidentally gets them to act like a chicken because hypnosis), while bystanders do the "crazy" gesture as they watch.

Mental illness isn't exactly new to the Sims series, though they're treated more like a failure state (TS2) or a personality trait (3 and 4) rather than a persistent issue.

I'm actually impressed that the Paralives team is taking the discourse approach by gathering people's thoughts and thinking of ways to possibly portray disabilities in the game in a respectful way that doesn't feel like they're just a trivialized and gamified mechanic.

• AlpineCuriosityAlpineCuriosity Posts: 2,521 Member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ST6WtT9DV4

I agree that the most important thing is the core gameplay - how the paras react and their personalities.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I wish I could stop thinking "paralyze" when I hear Paralives, and that Para didn't instantly give me images of Parasect and/or parasites in general. The game sounds so promising.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • JarraxJarrax Posts: 1 New Member
    This video has good arguments on how the Paralives character creator could be pretty cool: https://youtu.be/8Qvf7gyTXrA
  • AzukiMochiAzukiMochi Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2021
    Am I the only one who pretty much thoroughly believes EA will try to file a lawsuit against Paralives before or directly after it gets released? EA isn’t going to want competition and will do anything to avoid losing money by any means.

I’m not saying EA will most definitely win, but they’re likely gonna try.
    giphy.gif
    I be obsessed with faeries. As well as mermaids.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member

just saw that new video. it looks so amazing ! Paralives look better and better every day
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Enjoyed the video but it looks as if it has a long way to go. I got the impression of a lot of brown and square, in spite of Paralives bringing curved walls.

I might try it but it all seems a bit, how can I say it? Worthy. It does what it does beautifully but where is the charm?
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    AzukiMochi wrote: »
    Am I the only one who pretty much thoroughly believes EA will try to file a lawsuit against Paralives before or directly after it gets released? EA isn’t going to want competition and will do anything to avoid losing money by any means.

Did EA file a lawsuit against Cities:Skylines? Some of you are really delusional.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2021
    It just looks more and like a direct copy of the sims to me....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    AzukiMochi wrote: »

It is more probable that they buy the company if they feel that Paralives can compete with the Sims
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    This game is turning out to be amazing. The sims teams need to take some notes, join the patreon and steal some ideas or they're going to find themselves playing catch-up. I mean, the features of build mode alone blow the sims out of the water in pre-alpha stage. It's ridiculous that the sims is as old as it is and we still need expansions to get new build mode features. We should be getting upgrades all the time. Just being able to make walls not have to span a whole tile alone would be a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    It just looks more and like a direct copy of the sims to me....

The sims wishes it could do half of what was just displayed in that video.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think they are doing a nice job with the project but yes, it looks like it still has a ways to go. I like some things about the aesthetic and it does look like an amazing game for building. I know nothing about the gameplay since everything so far has been about building or very cartoony characters.

I'm likely to try it but I judge every product on face value. I think it is good to have some competition in the genre but it has taken them a long time to get this far. That's how it is for start ups and it is impressive that they have built a following.

I would guess that there is private legal activity over patents and as someone else said, there's a possibility that they might be bought out at some stage. I'm positive that they have a plan for that because you don't get to the stage they are at without one.

I wouldn't bash Maxis. I think that sometimes people fantasize about what they want rather than what is there. If you're wanting a flexible building game or a "Sims-like" game, it looks good. Does it blow me away to the point I would quit my game? Not really but we're all different.

The hyper-customization approach is interesting. As it comes together, it looks a lot like what we have with some innovative building features. I'm neither obsessed nor against it. The race to produce better products is good for players though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I’m definitely keeping an eye on it though I’m not getting super excited since it’s still in Pre-alpha and he’s doing through, essentially crowd sharing. I’ve experienced this with other hopeful games that end up going no where.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    This game is turning out to be amazing. The sims teams need to take some notes, join the patreon and steal some ideas or they're going to find themselves playing catch-up. I mean, the features of build mode alone blow the sims out of the water in pre-alpha stage. It's ridiculous that the sims is as old as it is and we still need expansions to get new build mode features. We should be getting upgrades all the time. Just being able to make walls not have to span a whole tile alone would be a worthwhile upgrade.

LOL, the Sims team doesn't need to join no Patreon. They have this forum with us suggesting them things and they still don't listen sometimes. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited June 2021
    Building alone looks great thus far, but still not sold on this until I see actual gameplay and how the Parafolks will interact with others their surroundings and etc. This far they just seem to be customizable models. Feel like it may be underwhelming if people are expecting it to be far more than the sims than its own thing.

Looks to make a good building simulator, but I need something more than that. Don't expect to see a demo of this game til late 2022.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    The graphics look amazing! I like the cartoony style. Only thing is, and this just a personal preference, I like to go completely crazy when creating things and make brightly coloured buildings, fantastical people with unusual skin colours (e.g. purple, turquoise, green. They don't necessarily have to be designated occults, as am happy to make up my own species and pretend), etc, so wondered if this will be a possibility in the game?