Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The dreaded clay bug is back!

amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
I will be reporting this bug next time I’m online, but is anyone else experiencing a return of last year’s ‘clay / future cube bug’ that was related to the EL release?

NAPs are turned off in my game, but sims are constantly moulding pieces of clay and doing autonomous animations with the EL tablet wherever I go! Last year I experienced this bug, but it was fixed in an update and only affected the sims in my main household when I switched households and then went back to my main again, so now I’m stuck playing just the one household because I don’t want to risk clay suddenly spawning continuously in their inventories.

Is it just me? It is possibly the most infuriating bug I’ve ever experienced!

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Probably due to sims still having the various clay in their inventory. Popped into one household and one sim had at least 5 clays in her inventory.

:# I had to shift click and destory a lot of clays that end up getting left around, more so in the community spaces in the neighborhood. Was before I turned off naps and sims still had molding clay in their inventory. Literally leave this everywhere and no sims touch it like they woudl something like a bicycle or another to retrieve it.
    2mylxsJ.png
    UX2TjGO.png
    doWhcF6.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I encountered this bug the other night. My sim caught a clay from the river and I inevitably ended up selling it because she kept playing with it or whatever. I wouldn’t mind her doing it if the action resulted in a new object being created or something for decoration, but nothing results from a sim molding the clay as far as I’ve seen, so I find it annoying.

Oddly enough, this particular sim has been having other glitches including the gardening glitch, there was a glitch with her tent that wouldn’t let her sleep through the night, her cat keeps phasing in and out of objects. Ugh, it really left a bad taste in my mouth especially because I usually have a glitch-free playing experience but maybe I just don’t play enough to see these things.

ETA: in the pics above from @LadyKyn it looks like Sims do actually make decor objects with the clay, but my Sim doesn’t do that. Maybe I’m just impatient.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have noticed this, and it cannot be from Sims "still" having it in their inventories, as it is happening in new games.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Looks like the Sylvan Glade Coven has a lot of Inferniation ceremonies ahead.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited June 2021
    I will be reporting this bug next time I’m online, but is anyone else experiencing a return of last year’s ‘clay / future cube bug’ that was related to the EL release?

NAPs are turned off in my game, but sims are constantly moulding pieces of clay and doing autonomous animations with the EL tablet wherever I go! Last year I experienced this bug, but it was fixed in an update and only affected the sims in my main household when I switched households and then went back to my main again, so now I’m stuck playing just the one household because I don’t want to risk clay suddenly spawning continuously in their inventories.

Is it just me? It is possibly the most infuriating bug I’ve ever experienced!

i'm wondering why some of my sims are grabbing a future cube out of nowhere and using it and then putting it away after an emotional reaction. this has been going on for months, i thought it was just another feature of the game. obviously not.

When i mean nowhere, i mean they don't have any such things in their inventory before i switch out to another household, but for some reason they pull out this future cube and use it.
  • Options
    @LadyKyn oh I hadn't thought about that. I was positive I deleted all the clay in my sims' inventories when the bug was fixed, but I'll go ahead and double check. Thank you.

@Hoverael the clay bug and the future cube bug are essentially the same, just with different objects. Both are to do with the EL NAPs and had to be fixed in a patch last year.

I've submitted a bug report. Hopefully the Sims team will release another patch to fix it or something. I'm glad it's not just me experiencing this in my game.

• Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I thought that by canceling the associated NAPs, the clay and cube convention would go away, but alas its still here. I honestly hate opening up a household to see that each family member has a million clays in their inventory. >:/
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I thought that removing the NAPs would stop clay from spawning in their inventories and the clay they had was from when I was playing eco lifestyle last year. I hope it still doesn't spawn in sims inventories.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Kinda forgot MC Command has a option to wipe sims inventories across the game. Might give that a try and see how that works.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    BitterBubblyBitterBubbly Posts: 70 Member
    I've had the clay problem resurface as well.

I installed a mod from Bienchen called "noautonomousmouldclay" to stop the madness.

It doesn't stop it from spawning, but it DOES stop sims from becoming so obsessed with it they forsake all other activities to play with clay.

In my game, they will drop actions I assign to them to autonomously play with clay instead. It's one of those things that, for whatever reason, takes priority over literally everything else, including addressing needs that are in the red...so I stopped the autonomous clay obsession with Bienchen's mod. It works beautifully, and is WAY more efficient than having to go through every sim's inventory to delete lumps of clay that are just going to keep coming back no matter what you do anyway.

Bienchen has a lot of good mods that fix many, many things, and they all work very well. Highly recommend.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I do not have a problem with my Sims playing with the clay, rather that then playing video games. There will be some sort of result
  • Options
    I actually DO like the fact that they create objects out of the clay. Problem I'm having in my game is that they get obsessed with it...to the extent that they will refuse to go to the bathroom, eat, shower, etc. If I tell them to do something they NEED to do, they will drop that action to go play with clay instead.

I'm kinda over sims peeing on themselves over lumps of clay. :D

So, I had to kill the autonomy on the clay because it got out of control and started taking over my game. My sims get obsessed with ONE thing (which changes from time to time) and it will take over my game. It gets frustrating. For a while it was dancing, then it was computers, then it was clay, then it was cooking/drink making, now it's clay again...and also walking to different floors of the house to put down toddlers they're not even holding to begin with.

Me: Hey, sim, go take a shower. You're stinky.

Sim: Nope. I MUST climb four flights of stairs to go put down a toddler I haven't picked up yet instead.

And so it goes...
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Is this clay a trait thing, I have Simps that never play with clay and I have never seen any of my Sim pee themselves due to clay.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I don't think it's trait related. All of my sims seem to get obsessed with it, IF they have it. If there is a lump of clay anywhere on the lot, they will head straight for it and won't do anything BUT play with it...or with whatever the one thing sims obsess over happens to be at the time.

The cooking bug was the bane of my existence for months. Soooooo glad that's finally fixed (and REALLY hoping it doesn't get broken again with patch we'll get for the upcoming EP). It's been so nice to be able to turn on autonomous cooking again and NOT have sims cook 40+ dishes in one go, and to be able to host events at the house without every party turning into 15+ sims crammed into the kitchen fighting to get to the fridge/stove even though there were two fully stocked buffets on the lot. :)

Sometimes the obsessions will work in my favor, though. I had a very large lot that had several lumps of clay on it - I'm talking multiple houses on a 64x64 lot with 8 sims living on it during the last clay spawning bug...so, exponential clay, basically. I wanted to get rid of every lump because I was at my wit's end with the clay obsession, so I let one of my clay obsessed sims lead me to every single lump of clay on that lot just so I could pause the game and destroy them ALL. :D

...and she did, too. She led me to all of them one by one. As soon as I'd destroyed one, she'd head for the next one, and the next, and the next, until she'd spent an entire day trying to play with them all because nothing is more important than clay to...athletes? :D

I only had one sim *actually* pee herself because she wouldn't stop playing with clay long enough to go to the bathroom. She had the childish trait, though, and she's kind of a derp anyway. She does that with toys, too, so she's by no means a benchmark for "normalcy" in any capacity. :p

I'll just say I do a LOT of cache clearing, troubleshooting, and factory resets and leave it at that. :) I love this game, and I'm a dev myself, so I can appreciate that developing something like The Sims is no small task, but the bugs really do drive me nuts sometimes. :p
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited June 2021
    NAPS have effects on sim autonomy beyond what's stated in the description. Sometimes they aren't obvious at first. The Support Creative Arts NAP boosts sims' desire to play with clay and drawing tablets. Same for the Tech Support NAP and playing with future cubes, Performing Arts NAP and playing musical instruments, Foodies Unite and making cakes, Self-Sufficiency NAP and leaving half-made herbalism concoctions on everyone's stove (that is the one that annoys me!)

The glitch where sims have ever-reproducing numbers of clay and future cubes in their autonomy is a separate glitch. It has a benefit though, as they are a nice source of income. My first-ever sims in sims 4 were brothers, one of them married Zoe Patel, she came into the marriage with enough clay and future cubes in her inventory to buy them a very nice house :)

• Options
    I've cashed out on the clay spawning, too! :D #WINNING

Yeah, the NAPs were a mess. I turned those off and have been afraid to turn them back on again. The half-made herbalism concoctions clogging up every stove in town drove me bonkers, too.

...but yes, the clay/future cube spawning as it relates to autonomy is definitely a separate glitch, because it still happens even with NAPs deactivated...although for me, it's been the clay and not so much the future cubes.

I have found myself actually yelling "Where did you get it?!?!" at a sim playing with clay as I shift+click "destroy object" on their beloved lump of clay. Haha!

Clay is banned in my world. BANNED, I say! :D

Bienchen's mod does stop the autonomous clay molding obsession, though. It works very, very well. The cute little sculptures they make actually stick around for a while now, until you tell them to mold it into something else. :)
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited June 2021
    I had to move all clyy into the house lot inventory. Anytime there's any clay on any lot, all my sims can do is work that clay until, presumably until they fall over dead.

Somehow that stuff has a super high motivation behind it.

That said, I've been seeing this since April when I got Sims 4, so I just assumed it was normal. I did not realize it was a bug. For me this came about when I downloaded two different gallery lots that each had two lumps of the stuff set out as décor in the house. So it hit the two households I put in those houses.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    This must be a bug from a pack I don't own cause I never had this, not now or in the past.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I also suspect left over clays etc. in inventories.

One of my parks looks like this by the way:
    iqqfYpX.png
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    My style of play pretty much eliminates this problem for me (single sim with no autonomy), but whenever I see a lump of clay show up in my sims inventory (usually found while fishing) I react like I'm trying to eliminate a nasty bug before it can invite its friends.

Kill! KILL!
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    @musteni Yep...I feel that. I'm playing on the island in Windenburg. The island is covered with abandoned blobs of clay.

@JustMeAlb "Kill! KILL!" Haha! :D I'm the opposite kind of player. Max size families and full autonomy, so the clay thing gets out of control fast and takes over everything...kind of like The Blob from that old 50's movie. The clay must be destroyed! :p
  • Options
    Well in my case the bug has definitely returned and is not due to leftover clays being left in sims inventories. Playing the game just now and sims whose inventories I definitely emptied are turning up with new blobs of clay in their hands. Plus they're still bringing out the EL drafting tablet which happened last time this bug appeared for me. I just hope the next patch fixes it soon :s
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have this bug. I usually sell the clay and fortunately the game tends to remove random clay when I reboot it. I'd like them to fix it.

I'd actually like some of the NAPs like this one if they weren't buggy. Another that I had was guests constantly trying to brew potions though I haven't seen it recently.

If switching off autonomy would stop it, I might go that route if new bug fixes don't come out. I like playing with a mix of direction and autonomy but if I had to, I could play without autonomy.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Turning off autonomy and installing Bienchen's mod will keep your Sims safe from the obsession to craft clay into decor items. This is just one of the obsessions our Sims gained from the EL pack. If these obsessions had been confined to that world and not spread over every world I own, maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much. There are many features in EL I love and use in just about every household. But those NAPs, once used, will push our Sims into obsessing over everything from blobs of clay to musical instruments to engaging in romantic trysts no matter what type of relationship they're in. I had a heck of a time with those obsessions even after I turned off the NAPs. That was probably because I was using the NAPs before turning them off. But after pulling my old Sims4 folder and uninstalling the game, along with rebuilding my CC and mods folders, plus turning off the NAPs before creating new saves, everything calmed down and it was as if NAPs never existed. But that was an extreme way of getting rid of any lingering effects, and it's still a work in progress. I basically lost four and a half years worth of saves that are safely tucked away if I ever want to play them again. It was a hassle to do everything, but the game is performing better, and there are fewer annoying obsessive behaviors to deal with now. You don't have to lose your save files as the save folder, tray folder and mods folder can be pulled from your existing Sims4 folder before uninstalling, then placed in the newly generated Sims4 folder after reinstalling the game. I do suggest turning off the NAPs before playing, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Turning off autonomy and installing Bienchen's mod will keep your Sims safe from the obsession to craft clay into decor items. This is just one of the obsessions our Sims gained from the EL pack. If these obsessions had been confined to that world and not spread over every world I own, maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much. There are many features in EL I love and use in just about every household. But those NAPs, once used, will push our Sims into obsessing over everything from blobs of clay to musical instruments to engaging in romantic trysts no matter what type of relationship they're in. I had a heck of a time with those obsessions even after I turned off the NAPs. That was probably because I was using the NAPs before turning them off. But after pulling my old Sims4 folder and uninstalling the game, along with rebuilding my CC and mods folders, plus turning off the NAPs before creating new saves, everything calmed down and it was as if NAPs never existed. But that was an extreme way of getting rid of any lingering effects, and it's still a work in progress. I basically lost four and a half years worth of saves that are safely tucked away if I ever want to play them again. It was a hassle to do everything, but the game is performing better, and there are fewer annoying obsessive behaviors to deal with now. You don't have to lose your save files as the save folder, tray folder and mods folder can be pulled from your existing Sims4 folder before uninstalling, then placed in the newly generated Sims4 folder after reinstalling the game. I do suggest turning off the NAPs before playing, though.

You know what? I think you're absolutely right. Thank you for this. When I read up on the various NAPs just now (because I've had them turned off for so long I couldn't remember what they all were), literally EVERY game destroying obsession I've experienced can be explained by one of those NAPs. I only had them turned on for a very short time, but I think it was enough to break the world...and it explains so, SO much.

The saddest thing happened recently in my game. Quick backstory - I didn't get to have a family in real life, so I created a super realistic simself and had my kids in the game. My son was married to a girl who'd been his best friend since the day they met when they were kids, was his high school sweetheart when they were teens, and they had a wonderful relationship (always had completely full friendship and romance bars and were literally my favorite sim couple of all time, and I've been playing since Sims2) and they have two beautiful twin boys who are still just toddlers.

Even though my son and his wife had the same traits and were both romantic sims, he was ALWAYS faithful to her....but she'd flirt with anything that moved and was constantly cheating on him. In the end, she started dating one of his friends (as in, she *actually* became the other guy's girlfriend WHILE she was still married to my son) and made out with the new guy right in front of him at their family reunion (keg party), no less...so needless to say, they're divorced now, and my son is raising the twins with the help of his sister and her husband, who also have two boys.

My son's ex-wife moved to Strangerville with her new boyfriend, where they live in a haunted house with an evil clown, because #karma. ;)

Anyway, the Free Love NAP was never active in my town, but it may have been in some other town that she visited at some point, and now I wonder if she somehow got glitched by that, and that's what caused all of this. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I know it's just a game, but I'm pretty invested in my little story for obvious reasons, so I've been truly sad about my son's divorce and my grandsons' broken home, and I could NOT understand what the wife/mother's problem was...but this really could explain everything. Not just her ongoing infidelity but every other thing my sims have gotten obsessed with that has pretty much taken over my entire game.

I turned the NAPs off long ago, but if the obsessions still stick around (which doesn't surprise me) then...yeah. That certainly does make EVERYTHING make A LOT more sense.

I've done several factory resets (just as general maintenance) but I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling yet. I know I can back up my saves (the same way I do for factory resets) but don't know that I could abandon my current story and start over. Instead, I've found various mods to help curb the lingering obsessions and tweak autonomy...but I keep NAPs turned off now (because they really were the worst thing to ever happen to this game) and I've been planning to start an "alternate universe" side game where my kids are both toddlers again, just for fun and nostalgia (and to see how/if the story plays out differently)...so that will be an even more interesting experiment now.

Thank you for this. This insight is really helpful to me in terms of providing SOME explanation as to what the heck was wrong with my son's wife (and the game breaking obsessions in general)...so seriously, thank you for the "light bulb" moment. It's much appreciated. <3

Also, side note, but we just finished the grandbabies' first Winterfest in my game. It was adorable...even though everyone got multiple lumps of clay while opening presents from under the holiday tree. :D:/