Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hey Sims team, loving all the inclusion lately, now can you give the faith community some love too

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
**if you are anti adding faith to the game, please keep those comments to yourself, thanks**

So lately there has been tons of improvements made to the game to make it more inclusive so that simmers can truly play with life from their perspective. Would be great if you could share the love with the faith community too. To many of us, we don't segment faith from our lives, it is interwoven in everything we do and think. Would be nice if we could have the opportunity to add faith into our games too.

I have discussed it on a few threads and throwing it out there again: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981221/found-a-church-mod-that-works/p1

Thanks for your consideration.
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
Post edited by troshalom on

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited May 2021
    troshalom wrote: »
    **if you are anti adding faith to the game, please keep those comments to yourself, thanks**

So lately there has been tons of improvements made to the game to make it more inclusive so that simmers can truly play with life from their perspective. Would be great if you could share the love with the faith community too. To many of us, we don't segment faith from our lives, it is interwoven in everything we do and think. Would be nice if we could have the opportunity to add faith into our games too.

I have discussed it on a few threads and throwing it out there again: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981221/found-a-church-mod-that-works/p1

Thanks for your consideration.
    I'm not 'Anti'-Faith persay, but I have always wanted to keep religion and politics out of my game.
    I think most people feel this way to.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I’m not anti faith, but I have no interest in RL faith in the game.

This however, I would be interested in:

https://thesimsmedieval.fandom.com/wiki/Religion
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Religious or political content are against the forum rules so I'm not sure we can even talk about it.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Faith is not the same as skin tone, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disabilities though. People choose their faith, but not the other stuff.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm not anti faith either. Grew up in a very religious isolated home and I am still quite spiritual with a lot of spiritual beliefs that said. I do not think it would be the best idea to drag that in game. I make my own in game made up faith using the stuff we have.
    As far I know we can't even talk about religion here?
    And religion always leads to arguments.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited May 2021
    :|
    Post edited by troshalom on
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Faith is arguably different from religious practice (being a state of belief and internal to the individual). All religions would have to be included for parity and that would likely cause arguments.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited May 2021
    No. They've been very careful to avoid this in the game. It's a bad idea. EA is a primarily American company and many Americans will not tolerate Christianity or other religions/religious symbolism in the game. Faith is serious to many people and not a joke or something that belongs in a silly game like the Sims. EA has no reason to invite bad PR.

I'm not trying to be rude or anti-faith or negative, but...

The Sims is also about simulation and if people are virtually cosplaying religions they don't know much about, it's going to cause problems.

If you want this kind of content, cc and mods are the best you're going to be able to get.
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    I don't know if I read this from an official source, but I believe faith is absent because 1. You are their "creator," and 2. if they do worship something, I believe it's been established to be a Llama thing.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    edited May 2021
    I loved the religions in the sims medieval, so I wouldn’t mind faith in the game. it should probably be an optional download though for the people who don’t want it.
    I loved the religions in the sims medieval, so I wouldn’t mind faith in the game. it should probably be an optional download though for the people who don’t want it.

I agree @SeashoreLivia , not pushed to base game, but a pack either a stuff pack or a game pack.
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2021
    I agree with everybody else about it just causing more and more controversies and stuff.

Also, we can currently create something like this in the game anyway. We have the whole Get Together and its club system for this. Pretty sure we've all been using it to make clubs, family groups, workgroups, and even cults.
    @thatpinkconut following that logic everything in the game causes controversy and some countries even ban the game because of woohoo and the occult.

You can have faith in the game add it in a pack just like witches and vampires are added in a pack. That way it is not pushed to everyone.
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oops, my bad. I meant... I agree with everybody else about it might not fitting well into the craziness and generally wacky atmosphere of the franchise.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think a made up religion could sell as a kit or stuffpack.
    For me this would just give me more possibilities for my sims and their stories. I don't see it coming because of possible controversy, but if they made something like that modders could replace it with whatever someone might specifically want in their game. I'd probably stick to a made up religion.
    It would be nice to have animations linked to objects that indicate a type of reverence... mats or statues especially. Maybe add a possibility to podiums for people to gather (hopefully to sit) to hear a speech.
    I have churches in my game for weddings and graveyards. Not all sims would use them because it wouldn't make sense to me that all would be interested. In one save that's has sims patterned off Stardew Valley some of the sims worship a diety called Yoba... some don't, some are indifferent, basically like in real life.
    I don't think I'd like the game to make it a right or wrong choice if it ever came .. just an option. Mostly for character building, and storytelling as well as additional gameplay.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    I'm not sure I would want a religious system in game, but I wouldn't mind if they showed the Christian community some love in the form of a rosary or a simple cross. I don't think that would be unreasonable to ask, considering there already are menorah's and hijabs in game.

That said, I do understand OP's request for more recognition and inclusion of their lifestyle.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't think this is a good idea. The Sims "lore" hints at the player being "God" if you will and I think it would break the feeling of the Sims being its own universe. That said, a religious system around the Sims worshipping us, if you will, could be interesting, but I hardly see myself using it. I also think EA would be too concerned about the potential backlash if they messed something up if they decided to add religious representation on real-world religions.

We could be (and technically are) God of the Sims, but adding, say, Christian themes hints that there's... two? Seems kinda weird if you ask me. :tongue:

If anything, I advocate the remastering of The Sims: Medieval.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I'm a fan of using a fantasy religion, like the ones from medieval as others have mentioned. This is actually something I'd really like, because I feel having different belief systems is what makes a game world more real and interesting. I don't want to see real religions used (though I'm not personally against the small items that have been added so far, because there isn't a lot of representation of those beliefs in games/media).
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I agree, fantasy religion will be ok because it's not a real belief & no one will be offended.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited May 2021
    I’d love to see more “The Watcher” lore.

The Sim’s God = The Watcher (which, technically is the player) and every sim culture could have different ways of celebrating The Watcher. There is plenty of Watcher symbolism in the Omniscan temples in Jungle adventures for example. In Strangerville a sim can buy The Watcher posters and books (written by conspiracy theorists) and I believe there is even more Watcher symbolism across different packs.

I don’t mind the religious candles added in patch updates and I like the look and interactions they offer, but I don’t use them because they’re so specific to RL religions. As a player I’m very conscious of using these items because it almost makes me feel bad for adding them to my weird (somewhat disturbed) gameplay that has nothing to do with RL religion or what they stand for. And yet all I can use is, say, a menorah candle. I’m actually surprised a Christian cross is not available because it’s exactly the same thing.

I wish we had more interesting looking “Watcher” items and candles instead, but with similar interactions. Leave RL religious content to the cc creators & modders entirely. If you’re on console, well that’s a pity. The Seasons calendar and GT club system gives you plenty of choices.
    RL religion doesn’t belong in The Sims.

Sims are born from light and when they die they become light once more . Everything in-between is mainly controlled by “The Watcher” and most Sims are aware of that. That’s why they have their own faith (or non faith) in The Watcher.
    I like how the team added faith to TSM. They’re merely a suggestion of existing churches, yet completely unique to The Sims. They both celebrate “The Watcher” in their own way.

When done well, there is absolutely no reason for anything to become controversial. There will be none of that BS that happened after the release of Muslim headdresses and those poor Snowy Escape shrines.

Sims Lore is in my opinion the only way to move forward with anything Faith related.
  • EA_NeilEA_Neil Posts: 63 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey Simmers!

I've decided to swoop in and close this topic for now as this indeed might not be the best place to discuss this topic.

Before I do, I want to thank you all for your considerate and respectful opinions about this subject within The Sims. I'm not closing this topic based on your replies but rather because of what it might become if we continue the subject which is why we set up the rule.

Thank you!

-EA_Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top