Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims won't go up stairs

Vlydia713Vlydia713 Posts: 159 Member
Went on a vacation with the Sigworths and Sims seemed to go up stairs fine. Switched to Judith Ward and she won't go up stairs to save her life (or at least, her bladder). I'm playing with an install less than a week old. All of the locations have been built with Maxis with no major changes. Tried her at a different location. Tried another Sim at the same location. And nope - no Sims will go up to a second story any more. They will only go up small front steps. Anyone else have this issue? My game is pretty much broken at this point.

Comments

• Vlydia713Vlydia713 Posts: 159 Member
    Update; Turns out this is actually a railing issue. Removing the "fence" at the top of the stairs allowed them to go. I haven't played TS4 in a couple of years, but I'm assuming this is a new issue - don't remember these locations having this problem before.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes, that has been an issue since the platform update which they did in november. So it's been a while now. As you said, removing the fence will often fix it. From what I understand the issue is that sims no longer can use stairs that go to a room that have floors removed, so removing the railing often fixes it because that removes how the game treats it as a room in build mode and it becomes an area with walls.

Here is the bug reported on Answer HQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/td-p/9716427

• MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    This doesn't appear to be just a mod issue as my stairs do not work either. In my game, it seems to happen in mostly bigger houses (or mansion) builds. So frustrating. I end up adding a hidden ladder. But that isn't always feasible and messes up the aesthetic of the homes' decor, lol. Also, it fun to watch them go upstairs on their own or grand stairway the player has added to the home. Not climb a ladder.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self