Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can 2 players with different copies of sims4 play on 1 computer?

I hope someone can answer this. My laptop is dying, my mom has a fairly new one. We can't afford a new one for me right now. She has her own version of sims 4. I was able to switch users with Origin and now have access to both games. But they are now both blank, all the saved games are missing.

Can we both play on this one computer with 2 different versions of the game, or do I need to set up a separate login on her computer to have access to my own game without messing up hers?

I may be able to get my saved games back from my old computer.

Comments

• MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think you'd have to copy over your saves in order to access them from your mum's computer (they're not saved online AFAIK) but origin would look in the saves folder and would also bring up your mum's saves; if you attempted to play them or vice versa, it would bring up a dialogue box saying "items unavailable".
    I daresay it is something you could do as long as you used your own origin accounts and were careful only to access your own saves💕
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited April 2021
    You would have to transfer your saves, regardless. A lot of it depends on how messy you can stand it. You don't even have to swap either accounts if you respect each others saves/gallery/library if you really don't want to.

I would still recommend separate PC accounts so you do not have to worry about stepping on each others' local data. One accidentally deleted save could be avoided that way. The Origin accounts are tied to the online stuff only, so you would still see your mother's saves and stuff on her PC account.

Another reason I recommend separate PC accounts is because you can have semi separate installs in case you have different packs. I am not sure how those packs would work while swapping online log ins. Also, mods. Not sure if you play with them, but I personally would not let anyone clutter my personal files with mods. It is just better to have your own PC account on the laptop for that.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Like Calico, I'd definitely recommend you have a separate user account on your mum's pc.

Then you can set up everything how you like it yourself - the desktop, what shortcuts you want showing, your own Origin log in and your own game saves.

It would almost be like having separate computers, except you both can't use it at the same time ;)

But make sure to copy your game folder over before your lappy completely dies and you lose it all.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yeah some modders reactivated the MMO files that were in the game and you can find it here:
    https://sims-multiplayer.com/

On same computer yes as long as two different steam accounts, you can share games with family with friends I think.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    If your question is whether or not your saves and hers are separated into profiles , no. The selection screen will list all of them. Once you copy them over, that is. Don’t forget to copy any cc and mods too.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited April 2021
    Worth mentioning your save file isn’t linked to your origin acount. It’s saved on the computer. Logging into your origin from your laptop to another isn’t going to transfer save files. You would to have to do so yourself, using either a USB or those google drive stuff or something similar.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i would sign into another user account and add your own user so that your mom's save files don't get confused with yours. i did this with the sims 2 once and it was cool starting from scratch! (this is of course without origin, because i use the discs. )
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Thank you all for your helpful comments! You guys are all great!!! I should have asked here first, before fiddling around the way I did.

After reading all the suggestions you guys have presented I think the best bet for me is to set up a different user on the computer itself. That way I can have all my photos (over 6 gig worth :o ) and my sim games, etc (Sims 4 and Medieval) all in my own space, so to speak. I can set up my desktop and imagery without feeling like I am taking over her space.

We will share Word under her username because I don't want to pay for it for both of us right now. But I'll keep all my Word and Excel files in my own folder in her computer. All those files are currently backed up in Dropbox. {I'm typing all these plans out because I need a clear plan in my own mind.}

I do have my game files on a flash drive, and my old computer is still working so I can grab anything else I may have missed. It appears that my mothers game saves are lost, they were overwritten when I moved files into her computer but she doesn't mind. I mind, because I've been playing on her computer for over a month using her game (in a separate save/world). Live and learn as they say, this is a good reminder to upload my families to the online gallery as soon as I create them, and to make saves on my USB more often. Very embarrassing - I never made a save from her computer even though I know better. I don't know what I was thinking! :( I will miss you, Woodhouse family :'( .