Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

March 2021 patch broke custom chairs

@simgurumodsquad

Since the March 23, 2021 patch, there is a problem that causes custom chairs to be unusable (route failure) when placed at a table. Members of the community have found that this only happens when the chair has a 64-bit instance number in its definition. This is problematic because almost all custom content objects use 64-bit instance numbers unless the creator specifically chooses not to (for example, food has never worked with 64-bit instance numbers so modders know to use 32-bit instance numbers when creating food). Creators have been making custom objects since 2014, so this is affecting a lot of content.

Issues of this nature have been inadvertently introduced in previous game patches (the object design tool used to fail with 32-bit instances, CAS parts at one point showed up incorrectly with 32-bit instances) and were addressed with a subsequent game patch rather than by content creators changing the identifiers on their content.

The only thing that could be done with a modding tool to help with this issue is automate the process of renumbering existing content with 32-bit instance numbers. This is not a good solution as it would cause all custom chairs in a player's game to disappear and need to be replaced. Also, while a 32-bit hash is probably going to be safe from collisions in most cases, it would be bad practice to use it unnecessarily when 64 bits are available.

I hope that we can count on the Maxis team to fix this issue as they have done in the past because the alternative is not a good option at all.

Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• TURBODRIVERTURBODRIVER Posts: 68 Member
    @SimGuruModSquad @SimGuruNick I too hope the developers will address this issue, having chair mods made over the span of 6 years just stop working is pretty bad.
  • SimmeSiljeSimmeSilje Posts: 1 New Member
    I thought it was just with me, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times. Hope they fix this bug soon! :(
  • LenLeaG2657LenLeaG2657 Posts: 2 New Member
    This patch also made my seance table unusable. My Sim can't get the medium skill now. Everything else works.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I don't think they read this forum any more.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I don't think they read this forum any more.

CC and tool creators let them know early on. There's now a batch fix for the chairs in Sims 4 Studio (barstools to come). Andrew says the batch fix is temporary, which makes it sound like he knows there's a fix coming from Maxis.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.