Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are there no builders that also thoroughly play in their creations?

1789101113...Next

Comments

• RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I'm intrigued if anyone has actually made a build using a single pack, as the name of the game seems to be use as many packs as possible.

All of my most recent builds (last year or so) are base game or one pack only stuff. I never put up a lot using moo (I don't hate MOO, but I don't completely trust it either and I want anything I build to be vanilla in my library. I can always use MOO later if I play with that lot.) All of my builds are available unfurnished and landscaped or as bare shells. I don't put up furnished lots very often any more, but when I do they are always play tested.
    Personally, I build things the way I want to play with them. It drives me nuts when I can't see into a lot due to the amount of furnishing or due to things like walls, columns, roofs or landscaping getting in the way. I always admire the creativity of lots where someone has used lots of MOO and resize to make a lot beautiful, I certainly can't build like that, however, when I play with a lot I want to be able to actually play with with it. I want to feel free to adjust and personalize homes as time goes bye and I want to see what my sims are doing with out having to constantly adjust the view.
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued if anyone has actually made a build using a single pack, as the name of the game seems to be use as many packs as possible.

There are many base game only builds on the gallery. I tried a couple but it just is not as fun for me. When an interior designer works on a project they will not use all the furniture and accessories from one brand or showroom. You might have a nice looking home but it will lack personality. I see using the packs the same way, it makes the rooms feel more curated and unique. Also I bought the packs with my hard earned money so I want to use them all. After reading this thread I figured I really want to create for myself. If someone else likes my build great, but you are never going to please everyone. It is not worth the effort to restrict your creativity or design.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    CaprianaB wrote: »

I try to limit packs in most of my builds and have a few base game only or base game plus one pack builds.

@CaprianaB So what is your gallery ID then?
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I build for myself and put them on the gallery if I like them and think maybe some one else will like it too. I suspect many on the gallery have the same thinking. So I scratch my head a bit at expecting people to not use all the packs they own. Sure, some times I'll use only one or two but I'm not going to own content then not use all the time :)
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    I build for myself and put them on the gallery if I like them and think maybe some one else will like it too. I suspect many on the gallery have the same thinking. So I scratch my head a bit at expecting people to not use all the packs they own. Sure, some times I'll use only one or two but I'm not going to own content then not use all the time :)

same.
    I guess it depends on what people aim at regarding the gallery, like you I just upload builds I did for my game and am happy if somebody else likes and uses them too, but I have no goal to satisfy other players with my builds or get loads of downloads/likes.
    After all the gallery is not a paid service, it is a free and voluntary sharing network, nobody owes anybody anything.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member

I do have one completely base game/GTW built house. I didn't share it until after I'd bought more packs though, and even though they weren't used, the gallery says they were.
    I found it very limiting and didn't build another house until I owned several more packs. I don't have a goal as far as using packs, I just use whatever works in the lot, and having more packs certainly gives you more to choose from.

I'd certainly be open to the challenge if someone specifically requested a build that only used one pack.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I do have one completely base game/GTW built house. I didn't share it until after I'd bought more packs though, and even though they weren't used, the gallery says they were.
    I found it very limiting and didn't build another house until I owned several more packs. I don't have a goal as far as using packs, I just use whatever works in the lot, and having more packs certainly gives you more to choose from.

I'd certainly be open to the challenge if someone specifically requested a build that only used one pack.

@lisamwitt If you're serious, I'd like to lay down a challenge!
    lisamwitt wrote: »

@lisamwitt If you're serious, I'd like to lay down a challenge!

Absolutely! What do you have in mind?
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    CaprianaB wrote: »

I try to limit packs in most of my builds and have a few base game only or base game plus one pack builds.

@CaprianaB So what is your gallery ID then?

@calaprfy it's PrincessCapriana
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve always had trouble finding large, beautiful homes on the gallery that were actually playable. I’ve shared a couple that I’ve built and spent sim weeks playtesting. I’m particularly proud of a Victorian home I built on the Spencer Kim-Lewis lot in Willow Creek. I have a similar one in a Tudor style that I haven’t finished playtesting yet but I can’t wait to share that one. I do use MOO for certain things that I am positive don’t affect pathing or use of objects because I test extensively for that. My ID is the same as here, babajayne.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I enjoy building and like building different style homes I see in real life, in books and puzzles and online. It is challenging to try to make it look somewhat like the real building and I enjoy the challenge. I do play the game and enjoy having my Sims in houses from my past and others I actually know from having been there. I mainly put them up on the exchange so family and friends who play the Sims can put them in their games although seeing others download and use my homes makes me feel good too. My friends and family sometime make requests for specific builds and I think it's great that there is an exchange to be able to share builds. I do like the clutter to make it look like a lived in home, but I rarely use MOO, usually only in the yard for decorative flower beds, weeds, some curtains and pics, etc. I love all the beautifully landscaped yards I see on lots on the exchange, but I mostly keep my yards simple so room for families to play outside and add other things like gardens if they want. Because of Paranormal I have been building mostly haunted houses, LOL. So much fun! :)

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    edited February 2021
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’ve always had trouble finding large, beautiful homes on the gallery that were actually playable. I’ve shared a couple that I’ve built and spent sim weeks playtesting. I’m particularly proud of a Victorian home I built on the Spencer Kim-Lewis lot in Willow Creek. I have a similar one in a Tudor style that I haven’t finished playtesting yet but I can’t wait to share that one. I do use MOO for certain things that I am positive don’t affect pathing or use of objects because I test extensively for that. My ID is the same as here, babajayne.

I'm play-testing another large home I just built from the plans in a magazine. Yes, I've had to tweak it to suit the Sims, but now I'm playing it to see if it needs even more tweaking. ;) I tend to create large homes. In fact so large that from the map view they're not actually suited to the neighborhood in which they are placed. :'( Why give us the ability for taller walls, if everything pre-built is on minute height? Just sayin'. Never before have my builds stood out in such a manner. I used to build in Sims2 & 3 and never noticed, at least, my builds weren't meshing well with the neighborhood Planners Council. LOL Oh, well.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

I'm play-testing another large home I just built from the plans in a magazine. Yes, I've had to tweak it to suit the Sims, but now I'm playing it to see if it needs even more tweaking. ;) I tend to create large homes. In fact so large that from the map view they're not actually suited to the neighborhood in which they are placed. :'( Why give us the ability for taller walls, if everything pre-built is on minute height? Just sayin'. Never before have my builds stood out in such a manner. I used to build in Sims2 & 3 and never noticed, at least, my builds weren't meshing well with the neighborhood Planners Council. LOL Oh, well.
    It sounds like yours might be on a larger scale than mine. I like houses big enough for everything, yet cozy enough to get around without it taking too long. I think the layout makes a big difference, either way! I put a lot of thought into where my staircases are located and the typical flow from bedrooms to kitchen to front door. I’d love to check out your builds.
    edited March 2021
    I just noticed that I DO have a lot that uses no pack specific content at all and I didn't even notice until just now.

Edit: Nope. It actually uses a lot of packs, but wasn't displaying properly for some reason.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • I have uploaded a new play-tested build.

I thought I'd do some kind of traditional Australian architecture, and a Queenslander was what I chose.

I have only been to Queensland a few times, and I was once told by a local that the reason Queenslanders were built in an elevated manner was not for avoiding flooding, as people like me from southern areas often think, but in fact it is so that the air can flow underneath the house and help it stay cool. The climate there is tropical.

I haven't read into the history of Queenslanders to know if this is accurate, however I chose to do one of the very traditional ones that you see where there is nothing downstairs at all, and all living space is on the upper level.

"Leaves" artwork in dining room by @AlJay2000. Play tested. No mods, no MOO, no CC.

Like my last build, I am completely unable to see this build on the gallery (via the EA site) even though it has no CC. I truly have no idea what is going on with that, so again I do not have a link. You will need to search for it under my EA user ID - PriestessBizarre. Other people seem to be able to find my last one, but not me. Go figure.

PUQM7io.jpg

vZxpdsO.png

hIKSL2L.png

x69iX7Y.png
    2SRPkiL.png
    FiYsao3.png
    bgG3d2k.png
    tKaefOU.png
    @CaprianaB I pinched your country home as I liked its cosiness.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I think you can tell who actually is a builder that builds and plays the sims, and those that really just build. It's become such a competition to make the most fabulous homes, whether they are functional or not.

I do build and playtest all of my homes, because I do actually play the game I know where things can be and where they can't. Doesn't mean that something won't mess up from time to time but I make sure my homes are playable and functional.

It's great to have a beautiful build, but if you are making a starter with 4 bedrooms but the bedrooms are 3x4's with two kids beds inside that is just not a home that would be fun to play in, or the one counter for a kitchen.

I'm sure I could make a 6 bedroom starter using the above tactics, but if I wouldn't play in it, then I would never upload it to the gallery. And all this new furniture that people are creating with a bunch of other objects is not my thing!
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    brenleedee wrote: »
    It's great to have a beautiful build, but if you are making a starter with 4 bedrooms but the bedrooms are 3x4's with two kids beds inside that is just not a home that would be fun to play in, or the one counter for a kitchen.

This reminds me of builds with a tiny 6 tile second bedroom with a toddler bed. It looks very cute but what about the moment when the toddler becomes a child and needs a bigger bed? I have to start tearing down walls to make a decent kids room.