Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No farm pack then?

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited March 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    No, it's not how the world works, it's how South America works. Which is fine in South America, because South America is a different place to the UK. Every country has a different economy and so a different opinion of how expensive is too expensive.

Except it's how things work in the US too. I can't go to Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn and demand they lower the price on things. I can pay their price, or I can go somewhere more on budget. And if they're the only place that has whatever it is I want, I either pay their price, wait for a sale, or go without. I can complain about the prices, sure. But it's not going to change anything. It's how Business works. And the people actually listening to Twitter/the forums aren't the people who can change the price point. The most they can do is try to squeeze some extra content out of the project budget, and considering the radical variation in models for the Country Kitchen cabinets, I think they're already working on it.

On the stream, and on Twitter, they said that kits will always be "stand-alone" that is, while they may revisit similar themes and styles to existing packs, they're not going to need other packs or be needed by them. So if they're going to do a farm pack, it either won't use the Country Living style (aesthetic) or if it does, it will be presented differently so that you don't have to have the Country Kitchen Kit to "complete" it - although it may complement it.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited March 2021
    KokoaMilk wrote: »
    Why not??
    As said before, that country kitchen might be a hint to a farm pack coming this year.
    Also, Releasing the kitchen outside of the bigger pack let me think they could use more space and funds to enhance farming actions and BB objects!

Yep, I think they were saying with this kitchen kit, we are going to release a farming Expansion soon. I hope they concentrate more on the animals and some new crops, and other things, maybe a canning station, butter churn and a few things.like that. Maybe they will put out a sewing machine kit or stuff pack with patterns that we can customize with our own colors!! This would go great with the release of a farming EP too!
  • EA_NeilEA_Neil Posts: 63 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey Simmers,

I wanted to jump in to let you know that I've made a few edits to some of the posts on this thread as it was slowly getting off-topic. It's totally cool to share your feedback regarding the new kits and packs but keep in mind to not get too personal as we all have a different opinion.

The main topic was whether we'll get a farming pack with the country kitchen kit being announced and although I can't say much about that I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the subject!

- EA_Neil
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think the farming pack will double as our horses pack. Maybe they'll call it the horses pack and it will be full of farming activities as well. Packs can very easily double up with their themes.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I think the farming pack will double as our horses pack. Maybe they'll call it the horses pack and it will be full of farming activities as well. Packs can very easily double up with their themes.

I would love to have horses and cows and chickens and sheep! Basically the game Stardew Valley in The Sims!
    a256aFi.gif
    edited March 2021
    I don't know about sheep, because of the animations it would need, but I think we will definitely get some sort of chicken coop which we can harvest eggs from - chickens will become simple pets, and the happier our chickens, the more eggs we'll have. That will result in eggy recipes.

We have Meat Walls already so we're unlikely to get any animal with a respect to killing it for food though.

Horses are one of the most difficult animals to animate, never mind if you're having to animate Sims riding horses - there's nothing like that in the game to base off, unlike how cuddling Dust Bunnies is the same animation as hamsters and worms. Horses don't move like cows or sheep. Seriously, if you tried to animate a cow like a horse it would look really creepy. Even animating donkeys like horses looks different. So I'm not surprised it's taking a while and coming in a different pack. It had better be good when it comes though.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited March 2021
    To me it would be the total of the farm feel that counts. I could live with 95% correctly animated cheep, as long as there was a good reason to keep them. Like harvesting wool and reproduce them to sell of a sheep every now and then to make a living. I'd love to see value depend on how well the animal is kept, but there could also be some random stuff, and you could be lucky having a lamb born with top quality genes etc. I don't need them as individual animals either - a group like those seen in the distance in Windenburg (with better textures etc) would be a way. My sim don't need to befriend each and every sheep. I want them for the farm environment + the business, not as much for cuteness and "congrats, you just got a BFF sheep".

Many want horses, and I liked them in TS3, but I don't really need them for a farm. If it's a problem squeezing all animals into one farm pack, perhaps horses could come in a separate ranch pack? I'd hate to see them skip cows because of horses.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Honestly Id be happy with a chicken pack if it was just a kit! Lets have a chicken coop (with option to leave it open or shut), individual chickens who work kinda like dust bunnies so you could place them outside or in the house and would produce eggs based on happiness. A new farm style market stall to sell your eggs, eggy recipes, maybe a worn straw hat and apron/smock for chicken coop cleaning days!

I dont see horses/cows/sheep/etc happening though just because I dont see how the animation would work. Not unless it comes in a major pack coz it would be alot of work for the developers.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    The new kits' kitchen stove and fridge are both "off the grid" items so might be a couple of objects that were to be used in an "Off the Grid" Stuff Pack option when Maxis did that poll a year or two ago so the kits might be part of old, unused objects or objects that will be useful in a future Game or Expansion or throwing up ideas for them if they turn out to be super popular.

We can still hope for a farming pack I think. I'm not giving up hope yet.
    To me it would be the total of the farm feel that counts. I could live with 95% correctly animated cheep, as long as there was a good reason to keep them. Like harvesting wool and reproduce them to sell of a sheep every now and then to make a living. I'd love to see value depend on how well the animal is kept, but there could also be some random stuff, and you could be lucky having a lamb born with top quality genes etc. I don't need them as individual animals either - a group like those seen in the distance in Windenburg (with better textures etc) would be a way. My sim don't need to befriend each and every sheep. I want them for the farm environment + the business, not as much for cuteness and "congrats, you just got a BFF sheep".

Many want horses, and I liked them in TS3, but I don't really need them for a farm. If it's a problem squeezing all animals into one farm pack, perhaps horses could come in a separate ranch pack? I'd hate to see them skip cows because of horses.

I agree. I want farm animas, I don’t want them for a pet as much as I want them as livestock. I do hope the cows, sheep, chickens, sheep, pigs, and whatever animals they give us can roam around being contained by a fence and not coops etc. And horses would be great in their own game pack. I would buy that too.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Horses should definitely come in their own pack, not in farming, otherwise both features would only suffer.
    That said, there could be a mini-farming aspect in a horses pack, such as making hay to boost your horse's abilities (similarily to how in Story of Seasons different feeds improved different characteristics of your animals).

About the country kitchen, I do not think it's existence will rule out a farming pack. I expect them to do a modern spin this time, that might even integrate with Eco Lifestyle. One advantage would be not to be tied to an aesthetic, but just providing the animals, crops and machines.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited March 2021
    Horses should definitely come in their own pack, not in farming, otherwise both features would only suffer.
    That said, there could be a mini-farming aspect in a horses pack, such as making hay to boost your horse's abilities (similarily to how in Story of Seasons different feeds improved different characteristics of your animals).

About the country kitchen, I do not think it's existence will rule out a farming pack. I expect them to do a modern spin this time, that might even integrate with Eco Lifestyle. One advantage would be not to be tied to an aesthetic, but just providing the animals, crops and machines.

I agree! Horses should be separated into a pack about living in the past. It could be a town that lives in medieval times perhaps and feature jousting, sword fighting, and fleshed out horse skills. The farming pack could have a town that contains both modern and old technology while giving us the gambit of livestock such as cows, pigs, sheep, llamas, and so forth. Farming does not require horses. I live on a farm myself and have all my life. Horses are a hobby animal more than they belong on farms. The Sims team would be smart to put horses in a separate pack because I think it'd be a huge draw for customers to have more than one pack containing different animals. The pets packs for the games always sells a lot because people love animals!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited March 2021
    In the poll SimGuruDoi made a couple of years' ago Farmers and Equitation were two different things to vote for. You might find the poll in the archives of in the Gurus on Twitter tweets thread(s) before Duvelina took over the thread.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D22uyulU0AA6XnN?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SimsTheamMadness?src=hashtag_click
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    We probably never get a Farming pack in Sims 4
    a256aFi.gif
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited March 2021
    Respectfully disagree. After the livestream confirmation of "many, many, many" more years of content for 4, it would seem odder for them to not eventually go down the rabbit hole.

If we get around two EPs, two GPs, a handful of SPs, and a handful of kits a year for this "many more" years, then I don't see why one of them could not be farming related. Just counting GPs and EPs for three years would be around twelve opportunities.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    We probably never get a Farming pack in Sims 4
    If we can get a entire expansion about picking up trash I'd say any theme is possible and from what I've seen farming has always been heavily requested. The only reason I see us not getting a farming pack is they truly refuse to make new animations and the animals would require a lot of those.

I want farming but I know I would not want it how they would make it as I'd actually want farms where the animals are raised for meat. But I don't ever see that happening even with a option to send the animals off where you get paid would probably be out the question yet we get a horrible meat wall as if that's any better.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    Farming pack should includes several items from The Sims 3 Store, along with others like TS1 Makin Magic butter churn, TS2 compost bin or Sims Mobile Nectar maker. There's a lot of improvements for a farming EP, and I thought this will be the year
    True, but they need to be reprogrammed and animated for Sims 4. Also, honey is delicious but what do you need butter for?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    True, but they need to be reprogrammed and animated for Sims 4. Also, honey is delicious but what do you need butter for?

Butter and honey sandwiches, of course. :lol:
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member

I'd gladly play a farmer who keep cows to get milk o make butter to sell. I won't mind if butter itself has no function. That said, it could probably easily be added as one ingredient for some of the recipes. If you have butter in the fridge, cooking costs less. That is so small money though, I doubt it makes much of a difference.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

I'd gladly play a farmer who keep cows to get milk o make butter to sell. I won't mind if butter itself has no function. That said, it could probably easily be added as one ingredient for some of the recipes. If you have butter in the fridge, cooking costs less. That is so small money though, I doubt it makes much of a difference.

We don't currently have eggs as an ingredient, either, yet we have egg recipes as well as many baked goods that IRL would require both eggs and butter. I expect that if we ever get eggs, butter, or both, we would see both new recipes using them and also see them added as a potential cost-lowering ingredient for many existing baking recipes.
    crocobaura wrote: »

Butter could be used to make desserts and things taste better. We have spices, why not butter? It gives us another activity, they could also make a cheese processor, there are a lot of foods for that. Cheese enchiladas, Mac and cheese, and of course the famous grilled cheese sandwich. By the way, grilled cheese sandwiches also use butter.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »

Butter could be used to make desserts and things taste better. We have spices, why not butter? It gives us another activity, they could also make a cheese processor, there are a lot of foods for that. Cheese enchiladas, Mac and cheese, and of course the famous grilled cheese sandwich. By the way, grilled cheese sandwiches also use butter.

Yeah, butter is main ingredient in a lot of cakes and patisserie recipes. You can also make fine soap from old butter.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Two of the items added in the anniversary patch refer to llamas and farms.

y7gJe7l.png

HAx0z4B.png

I know from Peacy that the descriptions were written by the Sims team, not the CC creators (for his items anyway, likely for all).

I'd love if after 4 iterations we are finally getting actual llamas in TS4.
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Two of the items added in the anniversary patch refer to llamas and farms.

y7gJe7l.png

HAx0z4B.png

I know from Peacy that the descriptions were written by the Sims team, not the CC creators (for his items anyway, likely for all).

I'd love if after 4 iterations we are finally getting actual llamas in TS4.

This is very interesting. Not just llamas but also sun reference. Aztecs and Incas had llamas, sun gods and calendars. We saw a suspicious looking base game calendar in a recent maxis stream. Would love if we get a South America inspired world with old temples and llamas everywhere.