Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

With the 'Bust The Dust' kit installed, does your house only get filthy if you have a vacuum?

LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
I'm seriously considering buying the 'Bust The Dust' kit because it adds new gameplay I've always wanted in The Sims, but I'm also reluctant to do so because of the possibility of getting tired of constantly having to vacuum my home.

Does your house only get dusty if you have a vacuum on the lot? Or does it get filthy, regardless of that? Please, can someone answer?

Edit: Thanks for the responses, everyone! I decided to go ahead and purchase the kit. I'm glad to know I can easily turn off the feature if I choose to do so. That's convenient! Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure about the kit idea at first, but I actually kinda like the idea now... especially the country kitchen! I'm in love with that! lol
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
Post edited by Lustianicia on

Comments

• mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited March 2021
    Its a gameplay option in your menu. You don't even have to use a vacuum, regular cleaning will clean it too. I saw this in the twitch stream :)

qeVqKoV.png
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Ah, I did not see that option at the bottom. I have the Dust kit and have already (killed) vaccumed up my first dust bunny, cute, but that's all my sim does. I still have other families to visit but will definitely be turning this dust thing off if that's all they do. :/
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm seriously considering buying the 'Bust The Dust' kit because it adds new gameplay I've always wanted in The Sims, but I'm also reluctant to do so because of the possibility of getting tired of constantly having to vacuum my home.

Does your house only get dusty if you have a vacuum on the lot? Or does it get filthy, regardless of that? Please, can someone answer?

With the gameplay on your house will accumulate dust even without a vacuum but as was pointed out you can shut it off. It takes a few in game days for things to get noticeably bad. After you clean it will stay clean for several days, and if you clean a little each day you can keep it in check. Maids will use the vacuums, I think Bonehilda will too. You can also encourage/demand other sims do the cleaning for you.

Also:
    [*] works with the robot vac from C&D
    [*] Works with maids (and I think Bonehilda).
    [*] Works with existing traits in game: Lazy - sims won't autonomously clean much, Slobs - won't care if it's dirty, Neat - sims will be very uncomfortable in dirty environments and be more compelled to clean autonomously and will be more difficult to romance if the home is dirty, as will Squeamish sims, and Foodies - will find it hard to cook if it's dirty.
    [*] It can be difficult to woohoo in dirty homes if your sim isn't a slob.
    [*] There are 2 new aspirations.
    [*] Kids can earn Parenthood traits for helping vacuum if you have that pack installed.
    [*] The cleaning bot from Discover University works with the dust system.
    [*] If the environment is really dirty some sims will "rage clean" and gain energy from it.
    [*] You can turn off dust effects in the current household and just have the vacs for aesthetics if you like.
    [*] You can encourage/demand other sims to clean for you.
    [*] Vacuums can be upgraded with many features including the ability to work off the grid.
    [*] Neglected Dust Bunnies morph into Filth Fiends which can spontaneously combust if they get angry enough.
    [*] Clean environments make sims feel confident and inspired making skill gains easier.
    [*] Some sims will be embarrassed to entertain in a home that isn’t clean.
    [*] The more sims you have in a household the faster dirt accumulates.
    [*] Different floors & rooms in your house can be different levels of dirty at the same time based on how often you clean them. For example your upstairs can be filthy while your downstairs is pristine and you bathroom can be spotless while your kitchen is a wreck.
    [*] You can vacuum toddlers for a minor hygiene boost.
    [/list]

There’s way more to this pack than a handful of vacuums. I strongly encourage anyone who is on the fence about this one to watch the livestream. The pack is the last one covered, but Ninja went deep into it, and while the number of objects is small, it can have a big impact on your game.

• Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

@Pamtastic72 ... that was so informative. Thank you, I didn't even know the kits got released today.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    @Pamtastic72 ... that was so informative. Thank you, I didn't even know the kits got released today.

The livestream was very good. Ninja went deep on this pack. There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    Deleted - It seems to have calmed down after the first day.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    The house can get very dirty in just one day if you have a big household, like in real life. I'm playing a household with 6 sims and it gets dirty everyday. I'm loving it. It def adds challenge.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    In the one household my sim dusted once a day. But there is a maid who regularly comes through vacuuming so maybe that helps.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I've been playing with clubs coming over too... encouraging them to eat, make a mess. It can get pretty dirty quick with a full house.
    If it's too much you can just turn off the under options than turn it back on. I didn't have to exit the game. I assumed I would have too.
    My butler didn't seem to want to do anything with the dust. I was playing an old save so I turned the dust off and then on, but at the same time gifted her a vacuum then she started working. I'm not sure which fixed her, but I'm glad to see her using it... it gives a new level to what they do.
    I've also got a neat sim and they are working autonomously at times (so was my sim without the trait though).
    I've been having fun with it so far. I do like the other kits but this one adds gameplay.
    Still haven't worked out the differences with all of the upgrades .. well other than the simple ones where the vacuums won't break or ever need emptying.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I was really hoping it would only trigger with a vacuum object on the lot (similar to the laundry day stuff) or maybe a lot trait, but it looks like your home will be dusty regardless. But it's also nice to know that it can be turned off in the options.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Finally something to do for the maids. I usually don't have much to clean out on my Sim households, not even big ones, because I always make them clean their dirty dishes and other messes right away. Maids just seem to come and go after they notice that there is nothing to do.
    I haven't bought the pack yet, but I will later today. I hope there will be enough work for maids now, I like having maids for my wealthier and bigger families.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I don't usually use maids, because I don't need to, but this would make them useful for some families that aren't too interested in cleaning :smile:

I'm a bit worried about how fast the dirt will accumulate, but I'm also excited for this kit!
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The Bust the Dust Kit is the only Kit close to being worth the money, and I still think it wouldn't have killed them to put in a little CAS and Clutter. CAS and Clutter are NOT difficult to create.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member

With the gameplay on your house will accumulate dust even without a vacuum but as was pointed out you can shut it off. It takes a few in game days for things to get noticeably bad. After you clean it will stay clean for several days, and if you clean a little each day you can keep it in check. Maids will use the vacuums, I think Bonehilda will too. You can also encourage/demand other sims do the cleaning for you.
    Also:
    [*] Works with existing traits in game: Lazy - sims won't autonomously clean much, Slobs - won't care if it's dirty, Neat - sims will be very uncomfortable in dirty environments and be more compelled to clean autonomously and will be more difficult to romance if the home is dirty, as will Squeamish sims, and Foodies - will find it hard to cook if it's dirty.
    [*] Kids can earn Parenthood traits for helping vacuum if you have that pack installed.
    [*] If the environment is really dirty some sims will "rage clean" and gain energy from it.
    [*] You can turn off dust effects in the current household and just have the vacs for aesthetics if you like.
    [*] Vacuums can be upgraded with many features including the ability to work off the grid.
    [*] Neglected Dust Bunnies morph into Filth Fiends which can spontaneously combust if they get angry enough.
    [*] Clean environments make sims feel confident and inspired making skill gains easier.
    [*] Different floors & rooms in your house can be different levels of dirty at the same time based on how often you clean them. For example your upstairs can be filthy while your downstairs is pristine and your bathroom can be spotless while your kitchen is a wreck.
    [/list]

There’s way more to this pack than a handful of vacuums. I strongly encourage anyone who is on the fence about this one to watch the livestream. The pack is the last one covered, but Ninja went deep into it, and while the number of objects is small, it can have a big impact on your game.

Wow, Thank you for doing this. Very insightful. I noticed as I am in build mode in an empty house that the floor is twinkling. I assume this is new to this kit?
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'm playing a 3 story household with 3 sims. It only needs to be vacuumed once a day. Before the teen goes to school, she vacuums one floor, then when the maid comes through she can focus on the other 2 floors. Keeps things nice. So far.... :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    edited March 2021

Also:
    [*] Different floors & rooms in your house can be different levels of dirty at the same time based on how often you clean them. For example your upstairs can be filthy while your downstairs is pristine and your bathroom can be spotless while your kitchen is a wreck.
    [/list]

Wow, Thank you for doing this. Very insightful. I noticed as I am in build mode in an empty house that the floor is twinkling. I assume this is new to this kit?

Yes, the sparkles indicate pristine cleanliness. You can click the floor (away from deco rugs) and check your dust level. The sparkles only last about a sim day, then the dust slowly starts to accumulate. You can turn all the effects off, and you won’t have visible dust accumulation, sparkles, dust bunnies or fiends, but can still use the vacuum and get the buffs too when you clean.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    I don't usually use maids, because I don't need to, but this would make them useful for some families that aren't too interested in cleaning :smile:

I'm a bit worried about how fast the dirt will accumulate, but I'm also excited for this kit!

I even forget that they exist! If this pack brings affects dirt in a bigger way on all objects then finally I will use maids.