Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I was talking about the creepy realistic graphics that's going into Sims 5.

@SERVERFRA The video is NOT the Sims 5. It's not even by EA, it's just a random video made to show what the Unreal engine can do. There is literally no-one saying this will be in the game.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I think there is some misunderstanding going on in this thread :p
    You really dont need to worry about them going with ultra realstic graphics, i dont think that will ever happen considering the target demographic as well as the nature of the sims franchise.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sims 5 will be a half-online game which removes the concept of expansion packs and introduces a subscription service which we have to pay monthly in order to play all the new packs.

(Come back in 2025 and see that I‘ve been 100% correct sadly :/ )
    a256aFi.gif
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    This topic was about Sims 5.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    This topic was about Sims 5.

@SERVERFRA Yes, we are discussing the possibility that the Sims 5 uses the Unreal engine and we are talking about what that engine is capable of and how that could benefit the Sims 5. Nothing more.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I mean, if they use Unreal Engine beyond prototyping (which I doubt) then I'm actually cool with that, because I'll be more comfortable going Hexagon ->Daz Studio -> Unreal to make CC (enough that I might actually try it) rather than the current path of Hexagon ->Blender ->S4S ->The Sims (I know I can create directly in Blender, but I learned in Hexagon, and things that are Left Click in Hex are Right click in Blender so I get lost.)
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited February 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I mean, if they use Unreal Engine beyond prototyping (which I doubt) then I'm actually cool with that, because I'll be more comfortable going Hexagon ->Daz Studio -> Unreal to make CC (enough that I might actually try it) rather than the current path of Hexagon ->Blender ->S4S ->The Sims (I know I can create directly in Blender, but I learned in Hexagon, and things that are Left Click in Hex are Right click in Blender so I get lost.)

Good to hear, I wish that Maxis would make official mod tools to help modders regardless what engine they will end up using. But the chance of EA financing them for that seems low though...

I doubt that they will go full unreal, it seems unlikely because the sims have so many tuning files... I'm not sure how feasible it would be to make all those configurations in the unreal engine.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Epic (the creator of Unreal Engine) released a demo today of their MetaHuman Creator. Which is a browser-based app that lets developers and creators create real-time 3D character models in "less than an hour." and bring them to life through animation (like Maya for example like Maxis uses) or motion capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F1vZYpH8c

Definitely reminds me of CAS in the sims. I wonder if Maxis could have use of this when building their sims5 prototype. I'm not sure this level of detail would be possible in a sims game but who knows?
    Doubtful it'd be *that* realistic due to the vastly increased system requirements. At a certain point, I'm not sure you can even get away with it in real-time rendering with current systems, like I think games often use higher quality in cutscenes as opposed to live gameplay to squeeze out extra realism, without making you play with 1 FPS in live gameplay. I'm curious as to whether the Epic tool is built for being usable within a live game environment, or if it's more for 3d animated clips and the like.

That's about as far as my understanding of 3d graphics goes. :p (not very far)

But I would like to see a sims game with more realistic graphics, personally. I don't get the appeal of the cartoony style, tbh, apart from its lower system requirements. It doesn't have to be the best of the best, I just would like to see a more realistic style.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Unreal Engine could add realistic looking sims that look real and more realistic community lots and residential houses.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Unreal Engine could add realistic looking sims that look real and more realistic community lots and residential houses.

I really like the look of it. It’s slightly reaching uncanny valley but I feel like if they develop an art style that can easily be fixed. But I hope they steer away from the whole blocky, low-res, overly-cartoonish art style.

*If* this is real I’m happy. There’s so many things I’m unhappy with with this iteration. I want to see the creativity come back. We definitely NEED a color wheel. These cc creators are milking everything these days. Especially the maxis match content creators. They literally just make a few edits to the same basic meshes in the game (especially hair), and then try to sell it like they put soooo much effort into it. And no I am not cheap. I do pay for cc sadly but the pay walls, early release cc, etc is just obnoxious. Like seriously? All of these maxis match hairs are practically clones of one another and yet I'm forced to use them because it’s basically the only CC style that suits the game. Isn’t it illegal to profit off of an EA mesh anyways? People hate on alpha cc now but at least you can tell the difference between each hairstyle and see actual effort that’s been made.
    p6tqefj
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Hey guys,

This article was posted by the simscommunity about an hour ago regarding the Sims 5 and its development. The article shows new job listings and speculates that the game is already deep in development and is being prototyped using the Unreal Engine.

This is the link to the article: https://simscommunity.info/2021/01/21/maxis-is-deep-in-development-of-the-sims-5-will-be-prototyped-in-unreal-engine/

Thoughts?
    Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to this new version of my favorite game even though I probably will not purchase it outright until I see how it is being received by the community. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this new engine will mean new and interesting gameplay, better graphics and an already updated game right out of the box. The updates from fellow simmers are greatly appreciated.
  • melsimmelsim Posts: 9 New Member
    > @FreezerBunnyCowplant said:
    > Sims 5 will be a half-online game which removes the concept of expansion packs and introduces a subscription service which we have to pay monthly in order to play all the new packs.
    >
    > (Come back in 2025 and see that I‘ve been 100% correct sadly :/ )

Unfortunately, i think you are right
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    It's still creepy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I would actually like an ultra realistic TS5, but I know it will never happen because low-end computers still need to be able to run it.

Who says the Sims needs to be able to run on low-end computers?
    edited February 2021
    I would actually like an ultra realistic TS5, but I know it will never happen because low-end computers still need to be able to run it.

I think it's because the sims4 has to run on very low-end computers because of their low system requirements which they probably have so they can appeal to a wider audience that doesn't have high-end computers. And they don't want to lose that audience when they make the sims5.

Thankfully computers are more advanced these days so they should be able to increase it a bit and they will hopefully spend a fair bit of development time on optimization so people have the option to increase or reduce the graphics.
  • GoseGose Posts: 40 Member
    Woa. Very interesting to see what's possible. I have been wishing for more realistic looking Sims, and worlds. But I'm slightly creeped out by how realistic it could get. But I do hope they are moving in that direction, and away from the super cartoony look.
    Sign.jpg
    I build things.
    Gallery ID: skustadmoe

I think it's because the sims4 has to run on very low-end computers because of their low system requirements which they probably have so they can appeal to a wider audience that doesn't have high-end computers. And they don't want to lose that audience when they make the sims5.

Thankfully computers are more advanced these days so they should be able to increase it a bit and they will hopefully spend a fair bit of development time on optimization so people have the option to increase or reduce the graphics.

@logion I feel like EA should differentiate between making a game to run on low-end computers and making a game that doesn't need a super high-end computer to run. There's an area in the middle that I feel like the Sims team should aim for.
    The Sims 5 imo shouldn't be made to run on low-end computers, it should be made to run on affordable modern computers. The fact that Sims players want to play the game on a 2012 laptop is affecting the quality and progess of this franchise. I don't see a reason for this trend to continue with the Sims 5.
    edited February 2021

@logion I feel like EA should differentiate between making a game to run on low-end computers and making a game that doesn't need a super high-end computer to run. There's an area in the middle that I feel like the Sims team should aim for.
    The Sims 5 imo shouldn't be made to run on low-end computers, it should be made to run on affordable modern computers. The fact that Sims players want to play the game on a 2012 laptop is affecting the quality and progess of this franchise. I don't see a reason for this trend to continue with the Sims 5.

@SimmerGeorge Definetely, they should not build their game for people who have 10 year old low-end computers (which is what the sims4 was built for), it makes no sense if they are building it for the ps5 and the xbox series anyway. They should expect their audience to have better computers than that.

They have to increase the system requirements otherwise the sims 5 will go the same way as the sims4 is going now, people on low-end computers are struggling to play the the game and people on high-end computers are also starting to have problems with lag and poor performance now.

I understand that EA wants to appeal to a large audience but they can't both appeal to people with old computers and sell loads of DLC... the game is just going to lack features and not be able to run everything after a couple of years.
    Post edited by logion on
  • ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    Technology development and evolution speeds up as it goes along, especially when there's more money going in. That is how the Covid vaccines have come so quickly compared to previous. I would say they have done very well since the lockdowns and such. Think about the run on home wares, and attire, gardening ... This boom would be funding the new product development.
    I hope they do make it soon, I hate that there's no real support for 3 anymore and I just can't get over the plastic, babyishness of 4. I bought the base of 4 upon release, I even pre-ordered it. I have never bought any expansions since, ever, because I don't like it! I thought I liked their faces, more than 3 because they were similar to 2 in being able to be unique, with unique bodies, and more range in voices, but since then I've seen them all over the forum of course, and can see they're pretty much all the same, unless there's a favourite look everyone is getting stuck on.
    Combine the gameplay and look of 2 and 3:
    Mmore realistic but no way as realistic as MetaHuman, that's just disturbing
    Create a style and open world
    Cars
    Visitable workplaces
    Realer, more interactive babies and don't skip toddlers this time.
    AND
    Put ALL of the occult and supernatural stuff in one expansion pack to be miss-able, or have an option to switch them OFF.
    BUT
    Rotational play with aging settings choices of 4

puff! Better continue playing the sims 3 and voila!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I also think EA's first interest is money. The'll make more if their game is as available to as big as an audience as possible, and that includes 10 year old laptops. I dont even think TS3 was that high end and look how many people had problems with it? And because i still have my 10 year old laptop i was able to buy Sims 2 again and expansions im grateful 😂
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited February 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    Since 2018 the prevailing answer for next gen graphics was hardware-accelerated ray tracing (HART henceforth). Combined with Mesh Shaders, any games solely deploying these features would require new GPUs. I proposed a future where The Sims is only uses HART and was told it could conflict with EA’s goals for very wide hardware support, limiting player/install base and commercial success.

Then came UE5 Early Access which provides a software companion to the HART only approach the industry was tending towards. Providing visually compelling alternative solutions that support a plethora of hardware configurations, old and new, harmonious with EA’s goals for very wide hardware support.

It’s worth reiterating that the engine has delivered on the promise of significant workflow time savings for developers that DX12 Ultimate is yet to deliver because the install base is still in the growth phase, time savings that could be used to augment AI and mechanics amongst other things that make a substantial Sims base game.

But there’s the matter of royalties as discussed in this forum which could make UE5 a no-fly zone for EA/Maxis.

What I’m trying to determine is proximity. How close is Maxis’ in house engine to delivering anything similar (or better) than UE5 not just for gamers but for the sake of their own time spent on development?

TLDR: TS5 can get very close to photorealism on low spec hardware.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    If they go this ultra-realistic way they should include the blood and gore as well when Sims are killed off or become sick. Could you imagine or want to look at their faces or wounds when dying so realistically?

People are playing their war games these days, killing everything in sight and don't understand what a real war would be like. They are getting more and more into fantasy land each play.

Perhaps they could get so realistic that they would feel the bullets they put into their character. That might be useful.