Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a townie?

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited January 2021
    Townies are the households without a home. That's how I learned it from TS2 and that's what I took to TS4!
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    A premade (Liberty Lee, Bella goth, ect.
    Every Sim I did not create by myself and it isn't played by me.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited January 2021
    An ugly nuisance
    I know number 2 is technically the right answer, but... I couldn't help it. I have yet to see a townie that isn't dressed like a colour-blind clown on drugs with no sense of cohesive style or taste.

My definitions are as follows:

"Own sims" or "My sims" = Sims I created myself. I don't always treat those born in the game the same as the ones that came straight out of CAS (usually prefer the latter), but in the end, all of them are my own creations in one way or another.

Premades = Maxis-made sims that came with the base game, expansions or the gallery, such as the Goths and the (original) sages of the Magic Realm. They will always be the same whenever you start a new save, may or may not be homeless, and are sometimes (but not always...) better dressed than the townies.

Townies = Randomly generated sims to make the worlds look more populated and/or fill specific roles such as bartender or nanny. Unless the option to fill empty homes is enabled, they will always start out homeless. If I start actively playing with them, they become...

Played sims = Sims I play with. (Duh!) Doesn't matter if they were created by me or started out as premades or townies.

NPCs = All currently unplayed sims. Like played sims, they may overlap with everything else except... well, played sims.

Homeless = NPCs currently not in the world. They cannot be played sims because every played household must own a lot (from a gameplay perspective anyway; doesn't mean you can't pretend a played sim is homeless in the literal sense by simply not building anything on their lot).
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited January 2021
    i consider the premades the townsfolk in my games. the random generated trash are nothing but nuissances that tend to dominate the game if you let them spawn enough and i truly dislike this because i don't want them in my gameplay or sims lives

JoAKDdS.png
    this scenario is truly starting to annoy me: the game spawns these trashbags to fill jobs like stall vendors and such yet the game ends up using premades (in this case Marcus Flex and Eric Lewis) to do the very job the randoms are supposed to do! whats the point then of flooding my game with those stupid pears??? i only took a shot of the stalls but the whole area was nothing but randoms skittering around
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    They're random Sims in my opinion. Also, I'm probably one of the very few who don't mind them. The Sim Worlds would be quite empty after all of the premade ones have passed away if there were no townies.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    Randomly generated sim, but most of the time an ugly nuisance :lol:
    giphy.gif
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Daravi wrote: »

I see it in similar way. The short answer would be any sim who's not a member of my played household. This includes premades, randoms, and even sims I download from the gallery or my custom-created sims copied from other saves are considered townies
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,573 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    Townies are randomly generated and don't have a home. I usually meet my favorite townies in the magical realm or university. It seems like most dance clubs and bars are populated with Premades and my own sims. Lately my game has been creating some very attractive townies!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2021
    Randomly generated sims
    Simmingal wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    They would be so much better if the game had a better system implemented.

yeah, like toggle to make them not exist.
    yes id love that.

toggling them to not exist would probably not work since the game needs them for NPC roles, but the game could at least try to generate less of them, there are mods that does reduce townie generation a lot by telling the game to use existing unplayed sims, it would also help if their outfits could not be so random but follow the same tags or colors and also have them wear less accessories.

I know they patched this recently, I'm not sure if it worked, their ouftits does seem less crazy, but they are often still ruined because of the color swatches.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    An ugly nuisance
    NPCC is your friend folks.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    NPCC is your friend folks.

It's one of my most valued mods. I don't know what I will do if it ever stops being updated. :o
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited January 2021
    Randomly generated sims
    Premades I class as sims that automatically appear in every save. The Goths, Pancakes etc.
    Townies are the randomly , very occasionally ugly abominations that are not in every save automatically.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    C0lESrJ.jpg
    The Good Looking One, like above, I am currently playing now.

But what were his traits? Lmao the few good looking ones usually have negative traits.

Also...is he on the gallery?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    You know, it's actually the first two choices. These are now called NPCs, you don't control them. But, if you're not playing the household of a premade, they're as good as NPCs, too. We called them Townies in Sims2. I still call them Townies, LOL. Yeah, some are as ugly as Sin, but hey, I'm no beauty queen, either, who am I to judge?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2021
    Daravi wrote: »

I see it in similar way. The short answer would be any sim who's not a member of my played household. This includes premades, randoms, and even sims I download from the gallery or my custom-created sims copied from other saves are considered townies

Thank you, that's what I wanted to say, but I have missed the words. I have now generations from earlier played Sims which I don't want to play or follow anymore. They are just exist like the other non-played sims.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Whichever the case, they need to dress them better and/or allow them to wear the clothes you picked out for them to wear around town. I often change up these "townie" wardrobe so they look nice. But they still show up around town looking a hot mess sometimes.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    For me it's all 3, I always consider the premades to be "townies" aswell. For me townies are just any sim around the world not made by me
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I want to support the "ugly" townies. I hate that word both in game and in real life. All Sim townies are welcome in my game and I could never call anyone a nuisance just because she/he is not pretty enough. I'm an anti-bullying supporter and it goes for Sims too.

I don't think most of us feel that the Sims themselves are ugly. That was a problem with townies in Sims 2. Some were honestly ugly because the game would spawn them with the sliders all the way to one end or the other, making their features exaggerated.

But in Sims 4, that's not a problem, at least not for me. The problem is clothing. Townies will spawn wearing anything and everything and they end up looking utterly absurd. I'm not going to comment on your main statement, except to say this is just a game.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It's a mixture of all 3 for me. A lot of pre-mades I don't play plus the NPC's are mostly ugly. The odd decent one slips through both pre-mades and NPCs to integrate with my played sims. For me townies are unplayed sims in my game which are a mixtures of elderly sims or my own made sims I have no use for, pre-mades I have no use for or NPCs.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    This is why I always try to clarify when the word pops up.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    Townies have always been random for me. premades are exactly that: premades, although you can turn them into townies by evicting them and forgetting their existence. Townies have no home and no story suggested by the developers, whereas premades do.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Not really sure how to vote because to me, a townie is any playable sim. Rather it's a premade townie or randomly generated townie, they're all townies to me.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,879 Member
    Randomly generated sims
    You know, it's actually the first two choices. These are now called NPCs, you don't control them. But, if you're not playing the household of a premade, they're as good as NPCs, too. We called them Townies in Sims2. I still call them Townies, LOL. Yeah, some are as ugly as Sin, but hey, I'm no beauty queen, either, who am I to judge?

No. At TS2 the ones without homes and NOT in simbin were called as townies. Premades (Maxis made sims and simbin sims.) were called as premades in there too. What we called as NPC was stuff like taxi/schoolbus drivers, maids and butlers, and so one, who always were creates as random.. or the most famous NPC of all Mrs Crumblebottom.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    I've always wondered about this because some YouTubers would call pre made sims townies! Like they would title their video, Sims Townie makeover and have pre made sims in the thumbnail like Travis Scott, Summer Holiday ect..
  • stormi2020stormi2020 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > I go through my manage households once in awhile, and get rid of ones I don’t like. I also have a large rotation, and I see them as well with the townies.
    thats so smart