Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What would you think if the Sims wasn't a "Click to Move" game?

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    I prefer it as it is
    Lol this just reminded me of those rpgs I played that were point and click and I would literally sit there for minutes at a time like hmmmmmm.... should I heal myself? How much damage will he do after my attack? My mp is low should use my last fire blast? Should I just flee the fight? And this went on and on πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I think I did more thinking than playing. But I liked it.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 2021
    I prefer it as it is
    I played Life the Life (a first person life-sim) for a short time, but stopped playing it and got a refund. Compared to TS, it was a pain in the llama. Having to travel to do simple tasks that, once my Sim was told to do went to himself was tedious. Plus, 3D graphics first-person tends to give me bad vertigo.

But, honestly, I liked building in the first person MUCH better. That was the one thing I liked about the game.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    This is largely why I hate playing The Sims on console... because it's frustrating to control a game like this without a mouse and keyboard. The most I can play on console is ONE Sim at a time. Once you add more than one, it just becomes overwhelming.

Simulation games like this were never intended to be on console... which means they were never intended to be controlled by any other way but a mouse.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    This is largely why I hate playing The Sims on console... because it's frustrating to control a game like this without a mouse and keyboard. The most I can play on console is ONE Sim at a time. Once you add more than one, it just becomes overwhelming.

Simulation games like this were never intended to be on console... which means they were never intended to be controlled by any other way but a mouse.

However, EA isn't interested in how the game was designed or meant to be played...they see $$$ and the game gets ported to every conceivable platform that exists.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'd be interested
    I think it'd be good for console, I'm guessing the game is pretty weird to control without a keyboard and mouse. And I think it'd be fun to play around with every now and then like 1st person mode, not sure if it would be an "everyday" thing though.
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    As someone else noted, it’s simpler to manage multiple sims with the current system.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Most of the time, I'm sending a sim to interact with some object or some other sim. Only rarely am I clicking on the ground to send a sim walking to a particular spot. Clicking on the object or other sim directly is much more efficient than having to steer.

And like others, I constantly send multiple sims to do actions simultaneously, so click to move is best.

We complain about sims' routing but oh what a terrible job I would do just having a family of sims cook dinner and then sit down to eat it if I had to steer each sim :o
    gen3-banner.png
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Other..
    I wouldn't ever want them to do away with the current system, but adding an additional option could be interesting. I'm one of the few who actually wanted a first person camera view, but I also would never make that the only view.

I also juggle a lot of Sims and tend to create large households, so I think it would be harder to navigate in the WSAD or arrow modes that way. I think many people multitask the Sim commands by clicking here, clicking there and then there, to build a string of tasks or movement, to make things faster and easier. It also helps more with time management. Of course, Sims don't always perform the way we direct, but that's another discussion. :s
    #Team Occult
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I play a lot of isometric cRPGs where move-to-point is the default. I think this is ideal, especially when you play with free will.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited January 2021
    I'd be interested
    I would be interested, but I would also like to retain the ability to click to move. I got used to using arrow keys to move around when I heavily played Second Life and it took some time to re-acclimate myself to just using a mouse when I got back into TS4. It would be nice to be able to just stroll around when exploring rather than clicking a certain spot, waiting for the sim to move there, clicking again. It Second Life, there is no set routing, each object has a bounding box that prevents your avatar from walking thru it and as a player you'd either move around the object or if it's short enough, step up on it and walk over the item.

But, I do like the ability to click on an object that's usable and the sim just routes to that spot without having to physically "walk" them there.And, I also feel like if you play with a large household it would be tiresome to "walk" everybody to do every task.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I'm indifferent
    My first exposure was Sims 2 pets on console, and the point click control isn't a default control scheme, I manually control my Sims where to go, when I bought Sims 3 for pc I got the impression it has the same control but instead it's a point and click but I didn't think it was big of a deal.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Click-to-move is the best way to manage multiple sims, though. It's like Sims: Total War.

"You. Fridge. Pancakes."
    "You. Toddler needs to learn not to poop on herself."
    "You. Nice painting. Worth 2,000 simoleons! Well-done! Sell that."

Simple instructions take well to simple inputs to execute them.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I like how moving around the way it is handled in the sims. With multiple members in a house and large lots with multiple stories, I like to direct them to 'move here '

I think the arrow approach only works for games with one single character.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I'd be interested
    I'd be interested in having direct control of my sims movements. I remeber in ts2 for console you could directly control where your sims walked but you could also toggle on the standard "Click" controls so as long as we can still have click controls as an options I see no reason why we couldn't add direct controls.

But if we had to choose just one I'd keep click control since it makes managing several sims easier and allows us to set up our sims actions queue.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Doesn't make sense to be anything else. How else can you quickly control multiple sims at a time?
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm indifferent
    I mean Ive played older sims on console before I was able to get a pc version, so using a controller was hard a big deal. In fact, I liked controlling them even more that way. No random running off to do something I didnt want them to do and whatnot. So if a future Sims game came out on pc that supported controller use and allowed me to more directly move my sims about, then I'd be all for it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I like it the way it is. I think it would be kind of awkward having to move them around with the keyboard.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I defo prefer as is. I actually bought the Xbox one version of sims 4 just to try it out with the console and nearly ended up smashing the TV, the Xbox and anything else that was close by :)
  • IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    Other..
    I like it being click to move in normal gameplay, but if you go into first person view for a sim, it would be fun if you could move that sim with the arrows.
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    using arrow keys goes against the entire point of the game
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Certain types of games in 3rd person games give me motion sickness.

I have the trouble with the first person view. 3rd person is okay as long as I have a wide-range overview. But first person, if I'll be lucky I can play 10 minutes until I need to take a break. Making pictures in first person in Sims has the same effect to me, therefore I prefer as it is. The angle of view helps me definitely, I learnt that in houseflipper after changing the angle of view.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I love mouse only point and click controls and really dislike the clunkiness of keyboard controlled movement.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Daravi wrote: Β»

I have the trouble with the first person view. 3rd person is okay as long as I have a wide-range overview. But first person, if I'll be lucky I can play 10 minutes until I need to take a break. Making pictures in first person in Sims has the same effect to me, therefore I prefer as it is. The angle of view helps me definitely, I learnt that in houseflipper after changing the angle of view.

Me too. I have to play 3rd person, zoom out and with head bob/camera shake toggled off or I have to stop and go lie down for a while. lol
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    I've played WoW and Skyrim. No, thank you on the third person aspect. Why would I only wish to really see my character's backside? No, thank you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I prefer it as it is
    Have played a few arrow key games in the past, they're not as convenient as one might think. Click & go much simpler.