Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

problems with sims doing dumb autonomous actions (again)?

right so
i've been playing a legacy sim
and
i had to place some books for her job no big deal
and now
every action i make her do is cancelled and replaced with her reading? like? girl??
for example, i click on 'practice writing' so she can get promoted and she starts writing but then the action cancels and she goes for a glass of water or goes to pee or just decides to read
like girl all of your needs are full what do you want from meeee

anybody else having these problems or is my sim just extra stupid?
c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png

Comments

• Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    This has been happening in my game too. I have to play with autonomy off to get my sims to stop canceling interactions.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    It's happening to me too. I told my Sim to make grilled cheese since she was hungry. She got everything on the stove, started cooking...then walked away to go troll the forums on the computer. I said grilled cheese, not grilled house. :|
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Same for me. My sims have been getting distracted while cooking since the Snowy Escape patch.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Are they more likely to be distracted at low cooking skill and/or while teenagers? I feel like this might be the case but not certain it isn't chance.

I have noticed obsessions with particular items, like if there is an easel and basketball hoop on the lot, a sim will only paint for a couple minutes before being distracted by the basketball hoop. The hoop doesn't distract from other items/actions though. One workaround is to put the distracting item (hoop) in household inventory before starting painting. The other workaround is to allow them to be distracted once, then hit "resume painting" twice in a row. The queued-up extra "resume" action prevents any more hoop actions from appearing.

Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited January 2021
    I have noticed this, my sims are definitely trolling me with their willfulness lately. Fine, sleep on the loveseat or pass out on the cold, hard floor, see if I care! I'm also thinking about taking their drinking glasses and sinks away too.lol ETA: I forgot about this one, Eat your leftovers! You have a chef in the house and tons of great food, stahp cooking new meals or eating a PB&J sandwich every time you're' hungry.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    @mightysprite: no, I don't think so. At least it isn't the case for me. This is an adult Sim at level 8 cooking. It's been happening since the last patch, for me too.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    @notasmokealarm09 aw too bad.
  • Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2021
    "¿Again??". When did they STOP? . . . o.O. Two weeks ago i finally completely disabled autonony on all my sims. I dont like it, but enough is enough.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited January 2021
    every action i make her do is cancelled and replaced with her reading? like? girl??
    for example, i click on 'practice writing' so she can get promoted and she starts writing but then the action cancels and she goes for a glass of water or goes to pee or just decides to read

why does this describe me so detailedly though

stop doing things i need to do
    go consume entertainment and nourishments

a true life simulation

maybe your sim has gained humanity and demands vacation
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    My sims are definitely cancelling the actions I give them a lot. It drives me crazy sometimes.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I have thankfully not encountered this, I have seen people post about it a lot though, it was a reported bug on Answer HQ but I thought that it had been fixed.
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    Are they more likely to be distracted at low cooking skill and/or while teenagers? I feel like this might be the case but not certain it isn't chance.

I have noticed obsessions with particular items, like if there is an easel and basketball hoop on the lot, a sim will only paint for a couple minutes before being distracted by the basketball hoop. The hoop doesn't distract from other items/actions though. One workaround is to put the distracting item (hoop) in household inventory before starting painting. The other workaround is to allow them to be distracted once, then hit "resume painting" twice in a row. The queued-up extra "resume" action prevents any more hoop actions from appearing.

Hope this helps you.

my sims my y/a legacy founder with level 5 cooking
    so
    probably not low skill?
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I've found that nothing short of selling the object of their fascination will stop a sim from obsessively using it even when I've explicitly directed them to do something else.

I mean, I love basketball too, but when I'm working at home IRL, shooting hoops just plain has to wait.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Sims have done dumb autonomous actions since I first started this game.😑 AI was never it's strong point. Never seems better or worse but I play with autonomy off.
    I haven't played in a while not sure if they are canceling action but it's probably a bug that will addressed in one of the patches.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I've found that nothing short of selling the object of their fascination will stop a sim from obsessively using it even when I've explicitly directed them to do something else.

I mean, I love basketball too, but when I'm working at home IRL, shooting hoops just plain has to wait.

i've had to sell the object too. i've started having to travel to the library to read - otherwise she'd never get any other type of work done -_-

• Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Yes, my sims constantly drop what they are doing to go do something they are obsessed with - books, that cat toy thing they keep in their inventory, lots of other things - they leave pots on the stove in the middle of cooking! This has been an issue off and on for as long as I can remember - used to be obsessed with the dart board no matter how far away it was and would stop cooking to go use it. Seems there is always something they are obsessed about and if nothing else - it is the constant glasses of water - ugh! So many things that I do not use because they get obsessed.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    right so
    and
    and now

Might be a dumb question but is your sim a bookworm? Because I get that with my active sim...He'll cancel actions I tell him to do and go autonomously work out. Like...Just recently. So frustrating but I think it might have something to do with traits? Not sure. It could just be a coincidence that he drops everything in order to work out.

Also, sims are cooking food, finishing it, placing it on the counters then immediately going to the fridge for quick meals and leaving the good food on the counters to rot. Could be related maybe.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    right so
    and
    and now

Might be a dumb question but is your sim a bookworm? Because I get that with my active sim...He'll cancel actions I tell him to do and go autonomously work out. Like...Just recently. So frustrating but I think it might have something to do with traits? Not sure. It could just be a coincidence that he drops everything in order to work out.

Also, sims are cooking food, finishing it, placing it on the counters then immediately going to the fridge for quick meals and leaving the good food on the counters to rot. Could be related maybe.

my sim isn't a bookworm and doesnt have any traits that could be related to the dumb autonomous actions

• Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    - 8 times out of 10, Sims love to cook when hungry, but not eating it (instead they go to prepare another meal). The joy I feel when they actually eat the already existing food... toddlers and children can't cook, so they're forced to go for food I've created for them.

- As has been pointed out earlier, books have a magnetic pull on your sims, be they active, bookworms or lazy and crazy.

- One of my Sims, when I direct her to the sauna after a stressful workday, she can only sit still for 5-10 Sim minutes before she realises that there is a decoration somewhere in the house she just *has* to look at, and leaves the sauna. Otherwise, she cares nothing about them. Sold the object. That's fine, she went for another one.

- The "let's grab a glass of water always" interaction is back in semi-full force. My Neat Sim has become a master hunting for used glasses all over the house. We have empty tables in the kitchen and the dining room, please don't go all the way to the other side of the house to put your glass there.

Think I'm gonna try autonomy off for a while.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I had to send my Sim to a Generic lot to make him practise his music skill. I made it a church with an organ from Vampires! Very few distractions, nobody visited, toilet available and microwave. He worked up his music skills fast there.

Maybe your Sim has maximum energy level and wants to be doing something and not sit down? Place too comfortable?
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Sims being extra stupid since before snowy escape patch, my sims loved to cancel their action and sit on a chair or couch doing nothing.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Also check what NAP's are active. Sims will absolutely cancel anything to go do NAP-related stuff.
  • Options
    Kathykins wrote: »
    Also check what NAP's are active. Sims will absolutely cancel anything to go do NAP-related stuff.

whats a NAP-?
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Yep, I'm having to "resume" a lot of actions because my sims will start a task and just stop to go do something else.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    Yes, my sims constantly drop what they are doing to go do something they are obsessed with - books, that cat toy thing they keep in their inventory, lots of other things - they leave pots on the stove in the middle of cooking! This has been an issue off and on for as long as I can remember - used to be obsessed with the dart board no matter how far away it was and would stop cooking to go use it. Seems there is always something they are obsessed about and if nothing else - it is the constant glasses of water - ugh! So many things that I do not use because they get obsessed.

To his day, I am still afraid to put that game mat thing in a residential lot. They said a long time ago that they fixed the attraction to it, but I had sims that literally almost starved to death due to their obsession with thing. Now it only goes in my arcade/bowling alley lot.