Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fear - Please Explain

Simmers

With the announcement of the upcoming Paranormal pack, I see a lot of you having 🐸🐸🐸🐸 over fear being added to the game (as it was in previous series).

I've not seen fear in TS before, so why it is such a good addition?

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's just not right. Fear is a part of our everyday lives. I'm scared of the dark. Im terrified of spiders it's a phobia. I'm scared of social situations I have social axiety. I'm scared of heights. I'm scared after a bad dream.
    I could go on and on but it feels like a "big" part of simulating life is missing without fear. Especially with all the occults we have. Are you really going to get tense after a vampire bites your bf then comes after you? Sure some tension might be buried in there but I would be TERRIFIED lol

Plus it just makes for so much story telling. For example I may want my sim child to feel afraid of the dark so she runs into her her parents bedroom and they can comfort her until the fear goes away. And she can sleep with the light on. Plus imagine that scenario with sentiments tied in.
    Opens up even more scenarios for a brave trait.
    If we ever get zombies no way they are gonna make you tense 😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    Honestly any time they add any new emotions at all is probably a win for the actual players. emotions and personalities for sims are still too bland I think
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    But will scared sims react? Or will it just be a substitution for the tense moodlet and we have to read it.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    But will scared sims react? Or will it just be a substitution for the tense moodlet and we have to read it.

This. Also how many reused animations will they use for this emotions? I mean they developed this as part of a pre-Stuff pack update. If this was on a Pre-Expansion update I have more confidence on how it will impact the game. However from a Stuff pack? I ust hope they will get this right
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm banking on them reusing some animations and adding new ones. Like the little kid clasping his face and jumping around.... or this animation looks like fear to me.
    qh7yHe2.png
    There are lots of animations that are used for tense that can be used for fear also. Think of when your sim is running around because of a fire for instance.
    Why do they have to reinvent the wheel to give us something. Why not build on what we have?

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Speaking for myself, I think it allows for more of a focus on scared-looking idles, animations, reactions (which I would hope comes with it to some degree). Tense is very broad and I think is more focused on being stressed out in the animations (as in, frustrated or annoyed) than having fear/anxiety. Fear is a very distinct kind of feeling. It can play tricks on your imagination, cause you to startle easily, doubt yourself when you shouldn't, things like that.

If nothing else, it's a missed representation of a very real part of reality without fear. Fear is probably one of the most easy-to-relate-to emotions there is and will hopefully make it easier to see ourselves and others in our sims.

Of course, it's important that it actually seems like fear in some capacity. Just a moodlet name and a colored portrait alone won't do it. I assume they will have some distinct idles for the intensity of it at the very least.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited January 2021
    because being uncomfortable and scared is 2 different things

like for example if i saw a ghost

i don't think taking a bath would really help me be less scared you know....

but it might ease muscle pain after workout and stuff...

also i just really like scared sim look like when the baby is about to arrive and they run around all panic and i think they are gonna use that for it
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It’s a human emotion. We’re playing a life simulation with humans in it. It’s more realistic for sims to have this emotion.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    In addition to all of the excellent points everyone else has made, I'll take a more technical approach.

Fear is needed for game balance and intuitive mechanics. When devs decided to change the focus of The Sims 4 Sims and make them predominantly about emotions, they should have considered the positive/negative balance and spectrum of human emotions that is required for keeping the game both believable and entertaining. To leave out Fear has left a gaping imbalance in the game that constantly leans steeply into endless happiness and leaves many situations a little awkward where "Tense" becomes just a filler emotion. All "positive" emotions are boosted by Sims being happy and there are so many different minor states of positivity like Inspired, Focused and Energized. Sims even default to a "Happy" emotional state just from having full needs and they get an extra buff. Meanwhile, the negative emotions are few and far between, rarely triggered, and often overridden by positive buffs. Even pets have been able to be afraid of things where Sims have not.

I also think that with the addition of the Scared emotion, many people are going to find that the game feels a little more "right", and Sims will become more relatable. There isn't a person in the world who hasn't experienced Fear at some point in their life (unless they have a disorder.) Gameplay is going to suddenly make more sense and feel a little more complete. I really think that this basic (yet complicated) feature is going to surprise a lot of people to realize how much it was needed.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    @LiELF Great response! I wish anger was not overridden by positive buffs. It's difficult to get sims angry and stay angry.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I can't help but feeling very doubtful that they've added it right. We're this far and they're adding a whole new emotion. I'm wondering how this will work with other moodlets. Will fear and tense act as separate and be easily overriden with happy moodlets or will they somehow boost each other so that the negative emotion has at least a chance to overcome the positive. I'm also wondering how thorough they were when updating which tense moodlets should be fear instead. For me it's hard to be excited until I see how it works.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    as someone who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, fear just needs to be in a game with an emotion system, its one of the most important emotions existing and drives so many actions....sure that is probly not how it will work in this game, but still, simply having fear exist at all (and not just tense) will make it feel more complete.

I hope they added some new "scared" triggers too, like when a sims watches a horror movie, maybe some would be scared?
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2021
    musteni wrote: »
    I can't help but feeling very doubtful that they've added it right. We're this far and they're adding a whole new emotion. I'm wondering how this will work with other moodlets. Will fear and tense act as separate and be easily overriden with happy moodlets or will they somehow boost each other so that the negative emotion has at least a chance to overcome the positive. I'm also wondering how thorough they were when updating which tense moodlets should be fear instead. For me it's hard to be excited until I see how it works.

To build on this i'm a little leery about how it will work across packs. Will sims now feel fear around vampires instead of defaulting to tense? What about when encountering skeletons and such in the tombs of Selvadorada? Another thing that bothers me is will it now just completely override the tense moodlet? Will I find all of my sims in a constant state of fear over every little thing that happens? Will my sims who were meant to love vampires and other spooky things suddenly be afraid of them? Same with those who are married to them? They don't have the best record with cross pack compatibility or game tuning. Here's hoping they took some time with this and got it right because i'm actually really excited about this one.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2021

To build on this i'm a little leery about how it will work across packs. Will sims now feel fear around vampires instead of defaulting to tense? What about when encountering skeletons and such in the tombs of Selvadorada? Another thing that bothers me is will it now just completely override the tense moodlet? Will I find all of my sims in a constant state of fear over every little thing that happens? Will my sims who were meant to love vampires and other spooky things suddenly be afraid of them? Same with those who are married to them? They don't have the best record with cross pack compatibility or game tuning. Here's hoping they took some time with this and got it right because i'm actually really excited about this one.

The impression that I got from simGuruConor's tweet is that he has replaced moodlets where your sim was usually tense with scared (where it makes sense, he mentioned fear of thunderstorms for example). I don't think they have added any more deeper functionality than that.

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @LiELF Great response! I wish anger was not overridden by positive buffs. It's difficult to get sims angry and stay angry.

@calaprfy Yes, I agree. Angry seems to be easily overridden unless a Sim has the Hot Tempered Trait, then it comes up more, but sometimes for no reason. I'd like to see it triggered more as a reaction when two Sims dislike each other and engage in conversation. Or just have a little bit of a boost for when it does come into play. I've actually never had an Anger-induced death in my game. Or Embarrassed. I've had the laughing one, though. :|

I think when the game was initially being developed and they decided to go the Emotions route, they should have considered a broader system with major and minor emotions. Things like Worried/Anxious, Despair, Disgust, Concerned, Surprised and a few others could have made the system a lot more nuanced, especially if tied in well with Traits to be triggered by different things the same way Inspired, Focused and Energized is used. It could have made Sims more individualistic in how they react to things and how they personally emote and would have been a lot more balanced. It's always about balance in The Sims. Very important.

But I think putting Scared into the game is the best way to go for now. It essentially completes the "Major" emotions list, fills a huge emotional gap, and will add a sincerity to Sim reactions. The game will feel a little less like handholding, like it's trying to shield the players from life's unpleasantries. And players will hopefully be able to express our stories and ourselves more and have richer experiences.

I really can't wait to explore it!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    As many have said, finally!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    as a player i am againts the fear emotion they should of stick to the tense emotion and as a player i truly dislike the fact that they added the fear emotion
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I think the game needs fear, but I have to agree that these are legitimate concerns. With vampires, for example, if the vampire hasn't admitted it or been caught, the sims around them should not be scared. And if a vampire has a high friendship or romance with some one, they shouldn't be scared. But have they thought deeply enough when implementing it?

Fear should coincide with new traits being added, such as 'brave' or 'Loves Occults', which would make sims be unafraid of occults. I understand they are adding a reward store trait - which is likely to make a sim completely immune to fear. But if this is their way of bypassing having to add any depth to this I shall be disappointed.
  • Options
    @CelSims Maybe they will add a sentiment related to fear?
  • Options
    @CelSims Maybe they will add a sentiment related to fear?

Ooo that could be interesting. See a vampire bite some one and have some kind of fear sentiment related to that, that kind of thing? That would be great.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    I think the game needs fear, but I have to agree that these are legitimate concerns. With vampires, for example, if the vampire hasn't admitted it or been caught, the sims around them should not be scared. And if a vampire has a high friendship or romance with some one, they shouldn't be scared. But have they thought deeply enough when implementing it?

since they mostly converted tense emotions into scared, I dont think sims will automatically be scared by a vampire, unless they see them feeding or the vamp feeds on them without permission.
    Like right now, they dont get tense just because a vampire is arround, they only react when the vamp bites someone, I dont think that'll change.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »

since they mostly converted tense emotions into scared, I dont think sims will automatically be scared by a vampire, unless they see them feeding or the vamp feeds on them without permission.
    Like right now, they dont get tense just because a vampire is arround, they only react when the vamp bites someone, I dont think that'll change.

I notice the tweet mentions converting things with phobia or scared in their description so I do have hope that they have not just blanket switched everything. I think there's things like water phobia in the game? So some sims will get scared swimming and some won't. Potential for sims to feel more individual, we need more phobias and ideally the ability to pick them for our sims!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    In essence, we have too many positive emotions in the game which is why emotions are very out of balance. So why I'm happy about it.

My dream for this Sims 4 emotions is this chart with overlapping emotional system.
    inside_out_emotions-03.png

Also since we are talking about phobias, I miss having a technophobia trait option. I wish the trait slots and lot slots provide 5 slot options because it would provide a more positive and negative balance with the emotions. As it is the percentages of only three are too high at 33.3% and with the default happy state, the emotion system will always bias towards positive. It's like a multiple choice questionnaire, there is a higher chance of not failing with fewer options because people will tend to choose option B on them, then if you provide a questionnaire with five multiple choice questions. I tested with a mod with more options and actually found the five to be the ideal amount for some reason. Six would probably work too since it is an even number for slots. Sorry nerding it out with math. It's fun to test the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    So what is it actually going to DO for your sim? Is it just replacing the word tense with fear? So what difference will it actually make besides a color change and buff descriptions?

Although tying sentiment to prolonged fear sounds interesting. Thats one step.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.