Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happens with non controlled sims around the world

I never really got into the gameplay aspect of the game. Mainly just a builder. I was curious what happens with non controlled sims that are placed onto lots. I know they age up with your sim. But Will they form relationships with random sims,.find jobs, have children etc. Like a living world. Or do they just kinda sit there until you interact with them via social interactions. Like inviting them to hangout.

Comments

• Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Well, the answer to this depends on what mods you are working with. If you are not playing with mods, then your NPC sims just exist. If you have aging on, they will grow older and eventually pass away. They don't autonomously do anything in my experience. Now if you use a mod like MCCC, then they can proceed in life however you envision it. I have NPCs that are in College, that move in with other sims, get married, have children, have affairs advance in their careers, etc. Up until a few months ago, I never played with mods or CC. I focused on one family per save and sort of moved them along. The townies and NPCs were just background noise. Now that I play with MCCC, NPCC, and a few others, I have found that my wonderful NPC's actually live lives similar to my played sims! I can't even tell you how awesome that is. They develop their own stories and I am ok with that!
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2021
    If you have full aging on they eventually all die and your game will be left with nothing but poorly dressed random townies. I learned this the hard way on my first attempt at playing a legacy in the Sims 4.

In order to prevent this in my game I had to change how I play. I started a new save and I now have aging off for everybody except the current household and I rotate through all of the families one by one so they all age and progress at the same pace.

I know I can use MCCC story progression for this but honestly I don't like it. It just fills my game with poorly dressed sims when all the uncontrolled sims start having children and they grow up. I'm to much of a control freak and I want all the sims in my game world to look nice and not be dressed in crazy random mismatched outfits.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I play without aging, so I have been working on playing god in my world lol. I create families with complex relationships and stories, and I even have several “homeless” sims I’ve edited that fit nicely into my storylines as well since there’s just not enough lots to give them all a home. I do use MCCC, but I turn off the settings that allow for story progression since I like to pop in and play almost all my households at some point any know that MY story for them hasn’t gone unchanged without my permission.

I would love to use a mod that helps manage the endless townies the game generates but I’ve been too nervous about it messing up the world I’ve carefully created since many of my households get marked as unplayed even though I technically play them and also too lazy to actually read about what these mods actually do to see if they’d be helpful to the style I play. Ideally i just want the game to stop generating more random people but I also don’t want a mod to assign jobs and roles to existing sims I don’t pick for those jobs lol

But yeah, unless you get some help from mods, the sims in your world will just age up and do very little else, which some people love and others hate
  • Options
    shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm a console player. Though I really wish I had bought it for PC. But now I've invested my money in all these different packs (have all but a few stuff packs) switching to PC isn't really an option. Unfortunately when I switched from PS4 to PS5, my cloud save through PlayStation hasn't been updated in forever. So I lost a ton of builds and sims. Figured I'd try making a sim and actually try playing the game haha. But if the other sims don't really do anything, this seems completely pointless. Why it's not a feature EA does not imply is beyond me. At the very least give us the option to turn it on or off. But it's EA. Anything they are involved with is typically half 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Guess I'll move onto something else to play until I get the desire to building again.
  • Options
    Well, you could try rotational play. In one of my saves, before I started using mods, I would delete all existing townies and families and I started with my own families and rotated through them. However, you could also just create and fill some houses with your own creations and play them randomly and grow them. PC does offer some advantages in a game like this but you can pull it off without mods on a console by just getting rid of the premade townies. They just don't have much to offer. Some of the preloaded families are actually fun to play with. I like the Fyres for example and the BFFs and the Pancakes even.

In my saves, I use a number of mods to do things I am too lazy to do LOL. NPCC, for example, allows you to direct which jobs townies fill. MCCC allows me to pull townies from my library only so my library only has sims I want in my game. I have it nit set not to generate random townies. It doesn't mean you can't remake them to your own liking without it though. Build some nice houses etc or use the gallery to download non-cc homes, venues, etc and you can make your own stories very nicely without any mods at all. If anything, integrate the townies into your stories!

• Options
    Well, you could try rotational play. In one of my saves, before I started using mods, I would delete all existing townies and families and I started with my own families and rotated through them. However, you could also just create and fill some houses with your own creations and play them randomly and grow them. PC does offer some advantages in a game like this but you can pull it off without mods on a console by just getting rid of the premade townies. They just don't have much to offer. Some of the preloaded families are actually fun to play with. I like the Fyres for example and the BFFs and the Pancakes even.

In my saves, I use a number of mods to do things I am too lazy to do LOL. NPCC, for example, allows you to direct which jobs townies fill. MCCC allows me to pull townies from my library only so my library only has sims I want in my game. I have it nit set not to generate random townies. It doesn't mean you can't remake them to your own liking without it though. Build some nice houses etc or use the gallery to download non-cc homes, venues, etc and you can make your own stories very nicely without any mods at all. If anything, integrate the townies into your stories!

That is what I may end up doing. My plan was to create a teen and use him through adulthood until his death. I've yet to even touch the university pack really, so was hoping to fill my town with other teens/families and try to get good grades, do the college thing etc. But if the other teens/young adults don't do anything. Then it kinda defeats the purpose. I'd rather have a natural organic world then one where I control everything. That to me just doesn't seem fun. Maybe controlling a couple sims. But I don't want to control the whole town just to have a growth and changes. Oh well. Is what it is. Guess I could just go back to living in my mansion, being a professional photographer to the stars. Did they ever patch that issue where freelancers couldn't get paid for completed gigs? Thats around the time I quit playing last time. Just started back up.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    If you have full aging on they eventually all die and your game will be left with nothing but poorly dressed random townies.

Basically this. ^

Yeah I've actually rebooted many townie households after getting mods that slow down aging. They were all dead with like the smurfs running around randomly everywhere instead. I have it very long, set manually now, like a couple hundred or thousand days per age. I let them keep "ageing", but slow enough that they're not all dead before I even know they exist or get a chance to come back and play them again.

EDIT: Probably the best would be to have NPC ageing off.

As for skills, yes they do build skills, but only if they show up in the area where you are playing an active household. That's why you see them run to a computer, or start jogging, or painting, cooking, mixing drinks or whatever. Of course the social skills build too. I haven't seen any NPC's randomly run up and start building a rocket-ship though, heh!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    If you have full aging on they eventually all die and your game will be left with nothing but poorly dressed random townies.

Basically this. ^

Yeah I've actually rebooted many townie households after getting mods that slow down aging. They were all dead with like the smurfs running around randomly everywhere instead. I have it very long, set manually now, like a couple hundred or thousand days per age. I let them keep "ageing", but slow enough that they're not all dead before I even know they exist or get a chance to come back and play them again.

EDIT: Probably the best would be to have NPC ageing off.

As for skills, yes they do build skills, but only if they show up in the area where you are playing an active household. That's why you see them run to a computer, or start jogging, or painting, cooking, mixing drinks or whatever. Of course the social skills build too. I haven't seen any NPC's randomly run up and start building a rocket-ship though, heh!

I wonder if it's possible to turn aging on and off as I please. Like play with main sim and have aging on. But when I switch to a secondary family, turn it off. Then resume aging when I switch back. The way I was playing (when I actually played instead of building) was I had my sim living in a giant mansion. Being a professional fashion photographer of 10 years myself, I designed the mansion to double as a studio. And that's basically what I mainly focused on. Doing photoshoots, building different sets, working on my fame level etc. Of course the poses for the console game are completely worthless. (again wish I had PC) So I had to get creative and have my sims do actions to get decent shots. That got boring over time as you can only take so many photos of a sim doing yoga, jogging, cooking in lingerie etc ha.
  • Options
    shotbyron wrote: »

That is what I may end up doing. My plan was to create a teen and use him through adulthood until his death. I've yet to even touch the university pack really, so was hoping to fill my town with other teens/families and try to get good grades, do the college thing etc. But if the other teens/young adults don't do anything. Then it kinda defeats the purpose. I'd rather have a natural organic world then one where I control everything. That to me just doesn't seem fun. Maybe controlling a couple sims. But I don't want to control the whole town just to have a growth and changes. Oh well. Is what it is. Guess I could just go back to living in my mansion, being a professional photographer to the stars. Did they ever patch that issue where freelancers couldn't get paid for completed gigs? Thats around the time I quit playing last time. Just started back up.

I am with you 100%. I also like the game to more organic, almost chaotic LOL.

So the sims who attend college with you will advance in college. I noticed in one save I had Caleb Vatore in classes with my sim and he did attend college and received a degree all while in the NPC bin. Also the preloaded sims, Fletcher and Clarke, both completed college with honors without my assistance. This happened before I used mods. In addition, I have noticed that townies that have jobs advance their skills. So if you are visiting a bar, the bartender actually skills up in mixology and charisma. So they aren't completely non-engaged. I do believe they patched the freelancer problem. That one was annoying for me too. I had like 8 freelancers at the time!

• Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I wonder if it's possible to turn aging on and off as I please. Like play with main sim and have aging on. But when I switch to a secondary family, turn it off. Then resume aging when I switch back.

Yes, you can manually change the aging anytime. I do it frequently with my rotation.

• Options
    KimisadechinoKimisadechino Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Sharonia said:
    > I know I can use MCCC story progression for this but honestly I don't like it. It just fills my game with poorly dressed sims when all the uncontrolled sims start having children and they grow up. I'm to much of a control freak and I want all the sims in my game world to look nice and not be dressed in crazy random mismatched outfits.

This is the problem that I have too but not after MCCC. It has a feature to save outfits and have randomly generated sims to only use your saved outfits when they get generated. It is a lot of work to make hundreds of different outfit combinations for each of the seven categories but it is very much worth it in the long run. If you're not super picky, I think there are already existing MCCC Dresser configurations that already did the legwork. I never really have the poorly-dressed townies annoyances anymore for years now.
  • Options

I am with you 100%. I also like the game to more organic, almost chaotic LOL.

So the sims who attend college with you will advance in college. I noticed in one save I had Caleb Vatore in classes with my sim and he did attend college and received a degree all while in the NPC bin. Also the preloaded sims, Fletcher and Clarke, both completed college with honors without my assistance. This happened before I used mods. In addition, I have noticed that townies that have jobs advance their skills. So if you are visiting a bar, the bartender actually skills up in mixology and charisma. So they aren't completely non-engaged. I do believe they patched the freelancer problem. That one was annoying for me too. I had like 8 freelancers at the time!

Good to know they'll actually do their studies. Now I need to find a way to cheat and put sims in college, without the steps of making them go to HS, work on their grades, apply etc. I simply want to create and drop them in. Hopefully there is a cheat on consoles. I know PC has one.
  • Options
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    I wonder if it's possible to turn aging on and off as I please. Like play with main sim and have aging on. But when I switch to a secondary family, turn it off. Then resume aging when I switch back.

Yes, you can manually change the aging anytime. I do it frequently with my rotation.

Ah perfect. At least this way I can working on my other sim families without my main sim becoming old too quick lol.
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    NPC needs to be requested by the game to get a job or do something that resembles the late story progression of TS3 (which almost everybody hates so they use mods 😝). If your Sims use the Interact with Co-workers at the job, and if there's none Sim at Manage Households on that career, then the game will pick one Sim to fill that role.

You can say that NPC Sims also get skills when they are visiting lots that your current Sim are at it. That means that they will unlock some skill-related interactions that probably will show up when socializing with them. I guess you will notice more effectively this if you play on long lifespan, or with aging off or even with the potion of youth.

With Eco-living expansion there's some scenario-related phone calls that gives you opportunity to make a decision about someone else get married or have a baby (I guess this only happens with households placed on lots). I wonder if Sharing is Caring NAP Sims that picks up my violin at my home gets it on their personal inventory or on their household one. NPC Sims that have items on their inventories will probably use it when visiting lots (voodoo dolls, violins, tablets... I guess everything). It is not the same that SP did on TS3 but those little layers of variables can set up some nice surprise moments.

(that all said, it seems that TS4 is more rotation wise. It worth a try if someday you get interested 😉).

Just some observations I made, sorry if I was not clear or kinda of confuse. I really like this subject xD