Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Says 2021 will be another big year for The Sims 4

Comments

  • Options
    AKAJaydenAKAJayden Posts: 1 New Member
    I want them to add height sliders
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,199 Member
    Ooo! I so want height sliders. Could that actually be possible in Sims 4?
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ooo! I so want height sliders. Could that actually be possible in Sims 4?

    I think so, yes. The height slider itself wouldn't be too hard to implement. The thing is that they would have to update almost all of the intimate animations to prevent Sims with different heights from clipping (heads going into shoulders etc.).
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,448 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ooo! I so want height sliders. Could that actually be possible in Sims 4?

    It's already possible by adjusting the size of the head.

    Of course the range is small but the sims have different heights.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,448 Member
    edited December 2020
    The height slider itself wouldn't be too hard to implement.

    But it will break all the hug/kiss/woohoo/greeting interactions including cooking, crafting, workout, ...

    It's not impossible but it's a big update like Toddler, Gender Options and Skintone patches.
    It would be predefined heights instead of a slider.
  • Options
    quinhobpquinhobp Posts: 220 Member
    The height slider itself wouldn't be too hard to implement.

    But it will break all the hug/kiss/woohoo/greeting interactions including cooking, crafting, workout, ...

    It's not impossible but it's a big update like Toddler, Gender Options and Skintone patches.
    It would be predefined heights instead of a slider.

    And the clothes too, they will need to change the way the game recognize clothes so it will resize itself or they will need to create multiple sizes of the same asset...

    I can’t see this happening.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    @quinhobp I don’t know. They look okay with custom height sliders/presets.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    AKAJayden wrote: »
    I want them to add height sliders
    This has been asked for before. Conan Exiles has height slider in character creation. And there doesn't appear to be any issues with the difference in heights between characters in the game either. So I see no reason why they can't add height sliders to The Sims either.
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    AKAJayden wrote: »
    I want them to add height sliders
    This has been asked for before. Conan Exiles has height slider in character creation. And there doesn't appear to be any issues with the difference in heights between characters in the game either. So I see no reason why they can't add height sliders to The Sims either.

    Because it (Conan Exiles) was originally designed to be that way. Sims 4 wasn't.

    If Sims 4 ever implemented different heights, like @LeGardePourpre said, they would be predefined heights I think. And it would be a massive undertaking as they would have to modify all of the current interactions. As much as I want differing heights, I'm 99% sure it won't happen for Sims 4.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    But how is Paralives going to do it? Cause they have adjustable heights.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Who will be the new Senior Producer ? SimGuruGraham or SimGuruNinja ? Or will SimGuruGrant be back ?

    Grant and Ninja are pretty controversial figures in the franchise so I guess maybe Graham?

    Grant is only "controversial" to a small subset of the Sims community. He still got promoted on to other things so apparently, that has no affect on Maxis jobs.

    But I'd say Ninja is a "fan favorite" so to speak, and has seemed to be more at the forefront of things for over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was next in line. I like him having more of a direct influence on the game, though. He was lead producer on the Vampires pack and also did Jungle Adventures and Parenthood.

    @LiELF SimGuruGrant throwing tantrums on twitter and fighting with Simmers was absolutely unprofessional. I don't see how EA would allow someone so childish be in such a high position.

    And Ninja became kind of controversial during the whole Spark'd thing but also during the journey to Batuu fiasco. He seems to have taken a step back now but who knows. I'm sure a lot of people still like Ninja. And yeah as you said he was at the forefront of a lot of things in 2020. Maybe he is next in line

    Grant was an HONEST guru. He was straight up and told it like it was. He didn't sugar coat anything to make it sound good and simmers hated him for it.

    He was anti family play and family gameplay got a lot better when he left, so I am glad he did.

    True I got that vibe from him too😌 I didn't like that.
    But he WAS honest.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    After that patch note, I’m positive that we’re getting improved nooboos next year. That interaction didn’t animate itself.

    Possibly a wedding pack too, since they’ve been so glitchy lately.

    Yeah I'm shocked no one made a thread on this!! No one can deny babies now!!😁😁😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member
    I appreciated Grant for being honest, were his answers to some things what I wanted to hear or was hoping for? Nope, usually not at all, but he did own up to any decision he made about removing stuff or not including stuff. And, he did actually take the time to respond to people (who weren't rude a-holios) much more so than any of the other Gurus do.

    Chicklet453681 He made some really rude comments he has now obviously deleted. I'm all for honesty but he said some weird things

    Like what?

    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Who will be the new Senior Producer ? SimGuruGraham or SimGuruNinja ? Or will SimGuruGrant be back ?

    Grant and Ninja are pretty controversial figures in the franchise so I guess maybe Graham?

    Grant is only "controversial" to a small subset of the Sims community. He still got promoted on to other things so apparently, that has no affect on Maxis jobs.

    But I'd say Ninja is a "fan favorite" so to speak, and has seemed to be more at the forefront of things for over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was next in line. I like him having more of a direct influence on the game, though. He was lead producer on the Vampires pack and also did Jungle Adventures and Parenthood.

    @LiELF SimGuruGrant throwing tantrums on twitter and fighting with Simmers was absolutely unprofessional. I don't see how EA would allow someone so childish be in such a high position.

    And Ninja became kind of controversial during the whole Spark'd thing but also during the journey to Batuu fiasco. He seems to have taken a step back now but who knows. I'm sure a lot of people still like Ninja. And yeah as you said he was at the forefront of a lot of things in 2020. Maybe he is next in line

    Grant was an HONEST guru. He was straight up and told it like it was. He didn't sugar coat anything to make it sound good and simmers hated him for it.

    He was anti family play and family gameplay got a lot better when he left, so I am glad he did.

    True I got that vibe from him too😌 I didn't like that.
    But he WAS honest.

    He may not have personally been partial to family play, but I think part of that was because their data has been saying for years that the majority of the player base doesn't really play that way. So I think he was in a position where he was trying to keep a flow going for that majority base because, you know, EA and money.

    But I don't think family play had any major improvements that I can think of since he left. He was still in charge for the Toddler drop, Parenthood, Kids Stuff, Toddlers Stuff and Seasons. And I think the majority of Island Living as well, since EPs take a year or more to create. Snowy has some decent family additions though, so there's that. I might be forgetting some things, though.

    I think the decisions for content have more input than just one Executive Producer. It takes a team pooling their ideas together (and some player influence to a certain degree) to get good content ideas.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    Maybe with no cars, the team could actually create a world of medieval
    LiELF wrote: »
    bella_goth wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

    The "life simulator" argument doesn't really entitle anything to be free. Plenty of content that caters to "life simulation" comes in packs. The Sims has never been an accurate real life simulator so asking for cars to be patched into Sims 4 would be the equivalent of wanting Aliens or Magic patched as well. (Not saying that would be a bad thing, just that those things are not essential.) Some people may want them, but they're not absolutely necessary. While cars made a lot more sense in Sims 3 for traveling across a large open world, they aren't needed in more closed world games like Sims 2 and 4.

    @LiELF I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you. Transportation is an essential feature in order to simulate life. People don't teleport from their bathroom to the park. They use transportation.
    Sure, maybe Sims owning actual cars isn't so important but not having any kind of transportation makes no sense in a game like this. All Sims are teleporting from one world to another, no taxis no nothing. Pizza delivery comes on foot! C'mon even the Sims 1 had transportation and that game was bare bones.
    We might not necerssarily need cars to drive around but we definitely do need some means of transportation. Nobody teleport in real life, sorry.

    That's fine if you don't agree. It's going to be a different view for everyone. I never saw the Sims games as "real life" simulators to begin with. I don't think they were ever intended to be, with ghosts and reapers and magic, etc.

    I do understand and will acknowledge your point as a logical one, however, because cars are indeed a basic part of life in the modern era. And a game that is at least somewhat based on the modern era would be expected to have them. But they are not necessary in a practical term, gameplay wise, because Sims 4 is a closed world. Sims 3, with it's huge amount of space and the eons it took to get a Sim anywhere, needed cars, definitely. So I don't feel they should be patched. Sims 2, with its closed worlds, had cars come in a pack, so I don't think it would be unusual for them to be offered in a similar way. It's possible they could possibly end up going the route of making a dedicated world that's more vast and open, in a pack with cars being a feature. If they patched them in, they may be somewhat simplified, because there's really no place to drive to.

    Only time will tell.

    ea keeps on pushing real life issues & stuff on the game thanks to their lovely marketing so of course some people will get the idea the sims are meant to be a realistic life simulator. but anyways cars were present on every sims game so it's understandable that some people also wants them on ts4, even if the game isn't very car friendly.

    Hmm. Well, if they put in some antique Addams family/Munster style cars or Victorian horse-drawn carriages or fantasy coaches, I could be excited for vehicles.

    Maybe the sims team could actually make a medieval pack for the sims 4 because theres no cars driving around, a medieval world with sword fights, castles etc , cars ruined dragon valley in the sims 3 store world
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,517 Member
    edited December 2020
    But how is Paralives going to do it? Cause they have adjustable heights.

    *clears throat*

    By using a procedural animation method, as opposed to traditional, predefined animation.
    It's part of the code, in which physics are scripted and applied to a puppet, rather than key-framed on a timeline, making the puppet animation interactive by simulating natural motion in real-time.

    This method would also allow the Sim to be adjusted in real -time (height, size, additional limbs, less limbs) and enables the animated Sim to adapt to its surroundings without causing clipping issues.

    It basically means that a set of pre-coded parameters can be applied to any Sim of any height or form without the need to animate each different kind (toddler/kid/adult/elder....dog...dragon?).

    A similar method is already used in Sims4, notably in CAS. Most of the Sim's shape can be adjusted, and no matter what kind of form it has-skinny or fat- the Sim will always move the same way without their limbs or facial features suddenly looking odd and all over the place. Their body adapts to the motion. A skinny Sim can hug a large Sim without their arms getting s.u.c.k.e.d into each other's body. Their arms adapt to whatever width the other Sim is. Unless it's glitching of course...(There's a really fun thread dedicated to that by the way. )

    The only property that can't be adjusted is height, because those parameters haven't been set at the start of development.
    It takes planning and a lot more complex scripting than what is currently there, because as I mentioned, the Sim needs to interact with an environment that is constantly changing (different heights etc.).

    The developers of Paralives are implementing this more complex procedural animation method at the start of development. I believe this is why Paralives can promise height sliders and Sims 4 cannot.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,437 Member
    But how is Paralives going to do it? Cause they have adjustable heights.

    *clears throat*

    By using a procedural animation method, as opposed to traditional, predefined animation.
    It's part of the code, in which physics are scripted and applied to a puppet, rather than key-framed on a timeline, making the puppet animation interactive by simulating natural motion in real-time.

    This method would also allow the Sim to be adjusted in real -time (height, size, additional limbs, less limbs) and enables the animated Sim to adapt to its surroundings without causing clipping issues.

    It basically means that a set of pre-coded parameters can be applied to any Sim of any height or form without the need to animate each different kind (toddler/kid/adult/elder....dog...dragon?).

    A similar method is already used in Sims4, notably in CAS. Most of the Sim's shape can be adjusted, and no matter what kind of form it has-skinny or fat- the Sim will always move the same way without their limbs or facial features suddenly looking odd and all over the place. Their body adapts to the motion. A skinny Sim can hug a large Sim without their arms getting s.u.c.k.e.d into each other's body. Their arms adapt to whatever width the other Sim is. Unless it's glitching of course...(There's a really fun thread dedicated to that by the way. )

    The only property that can't be adjusted is height, because those parameters haven't been set at the start of development.
    It takes planning and a lot more complex scripting than what is currently there, because as I mentioned, the Sim needs to interact with an environment that is constantly changing (different heights etc.).

    The developers of Paralives are implementing this more complex procedural animation method at the start of development. I believe this is why Paralives can promise height sliders and Sims 4 cannot.

    I was just getting ready to say that! You went into great detail explaining it in layman's terms which is awesome and so much better than I could have put it! I was just going to say that Paralives are using Procedural Animations.

    Thanks for typing all that out so now I don't have to!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Who will be the new Senior Producer ? SimGuruGraham or SimGuruNinja ? Or will SimGuruGrant be back ?

    Grant and Ninja are pretty controversial figures in the franchise so I guess maybe Graham?

    Grant is only "controversial" to a small subset of the Sims community. He still got promoted on to other things so apparently, that has no affect on Maxis jobs.

    But I'd say Ninja is a "fan favorite" so to speak, and has seemed to be more at the forefront of things for over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was next in line. I like him having more of a direct influence on the game, though. He was lead producer on the Vampires pack and also did Jungle Adventures and Parenthood.

    @LiELF SimGuruGrant throwing tantrums on twitter and fighting with Simmers was absolutely unprofessional. I don't see how EA would allow someone so childish be in such a high position.

    And Ninja became kind of controversial during the whole Spark'd thing but also during the journey to Batuu fiasco. He seems to have taken a step back now but who knows. I'm sure a lot of people still like Ninja. And yeah as you said he was at the forefront of a lot of things in 2020. Maybe he is next in line

    Grant was an HONEST guru. He was straight up and told it like it was. He didn't sugar coat anything to make it sound good and simmers hated him for it.

    He was anti family play and family gameplay got a lot better when he left, so I am glad he did.

    True I got that vibe from him too😌 I didn't like that.
    But he WAS honest.

    He may not have personally been partial to family play, but I think part of that was because their data has been saying for years that the majority of the player base doesn't really play that way. So I think he was in a position where he was trying to keep a flow going for that majority base because, you know, EA and money.

    But I don't think family play had any major improvements that I can think of since he left. He was still in charge for the Toddler drop, Parenthood, Kids Stuff, Toddlers Stuff and Seasons. And I think the majority of Island Living as well, since EPs take a year or more to create. Snowy has some decent family additions though, so there's that. I might be forgetting some things, though.

    I think the decisions for content have more input than just one Executive Producer. It takes a team pooling their ideas together (and some player influence to a certain degree) to get good content ideas.

    Yes you are right. It's something I've always noticed. That statistics lean towards most players not being family players. Even a poll or survey they did when grant was still around asking what lifestate they want to work on fist. I believe teens were first then young adults. Kids came in last. And data shows that way more vampires/young adults/aliens etc were made compared to kids or toddlers. I can barely find cc for kids or toddlers and I'm just now collecting a decent amount of hair for them over a period of months. All that's dominating the sim cc world is sexy young adult female clothes lol. I think that speaks volumes itself. The same same with mods/poses/animations or anything I try to find for sims below young adult. Teens probably only get included because they are basically young adults. I thought to myself many times is this the way the majority of simmers are playing?

    Plus they the gurus said generations didn't sell well in the beginning. Now it's praised as the best pack of all time. So I do understand Grants perspective also. Or why the team as a whole may have neglected family play in the beginning.
    I try to look at things from all sides.

    Additionally I also understand the team was just trying make unique gameplay. I hear many players saying parenthood can't touch generations (which is debatable) but they were not trying to make generations part 2. Everything they make they try atleast to make it "different" from past games. But many plays want an exact replica.

    But regardless, all I hope for is a happy year. I hope 2021 is the year of awesome occult gameplay🥳 and I hope family players get what they want.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Nice breakdown @CAPTAIN_NXR7 👏👏👏 I didn't know that at all. Makes me really wish they had implemented it from the beginning though😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,605 Member
    But how is Paralives going to do it? Cause they have adjustable heights.

    *clears throat*

    By using a procedural animation method, as opposed to traditional, predefined animation.
    It's part of the code, in which physics are scripted and applied to a puppet, rather than key-framed on a timeline, making the puppet animation interactive by simulating natural motion in real-time.

    This method would also allow the Sim to be adjusted in real -time (height, size, additional limbs, less limbs) and enables the animated Sim to adapt to its surroundings without causing clipping issues.

    It basically means that a set of pre-coded parameters can be applied to any Sim of any height or form without the need to animate each different kind (toddler/kid/adult/elder....dog...dragon?).

    A similar method is already used in Sims4, notably in CAS. Most of the Sim's shape can be adjusted, and no matter what kind of form it has-skinny or fat- the Sim will always move the same way without their limbs or facial features suddenly looking odd and all over the place. Their body adapts to the motion. A skinny Sim can hug a large Sim without their arms getting s.u.c.k.e.d into each other's body. Their arms adapt to whatever width the other Sim is. Unless it's glitching of course...(There's a really fun thread dedicated to that by the way. )

    The only property that can't be adjusted is height, because those parameters haven't been set at the start of development.
    It takes planning and a lot more complex scripting than what is currently there, because as I mentioned, the Sim needs to interact with an environment that is constantly changing (different heights etc.).

    The developers of Paralives are implementing this more complex procedural animation method at the start of development. I believe this is why Paralives can promise height sliders and Sims 4 cannot.

    I don't think that rather than height in the trailer they are just adjusting the scale of the sim (what do they call to the people? )

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eV1d-L-mc

    When the body height was adjusted the whole body literally becomes small. I don't think that is how height should work (atleast for me). Some people just have shorter legs and not scaled down body.

    I do am happy that they are doing these and hope that the game becomes a success!
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited December 2020


    @Babykittyjade was this the poll you were talking about? If so, adults are not even listed and teens and babies seemed to be what simmers wanted to improve.
    Post edited by auroraael14 on
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,517 Member
    edited December 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    But how is Paralives going to do it? Cause they have adjustable heights.

    *clears throat*

    By using a procedural animation method, as opposed to traditional, predefined animation.
    It's part of the code, in which physics are scripted and applied to a puppet, rather than key-framed on a timeline, making the puppet animation interactive by simulating natural motion in real-time.

    This method would also allow the Sim to be adjusted in real -time (height, size, additional limbs, less limbs) and enables the animated Sim to adapt to its surroundings without causing clipping issues.

    It basically means that a set of pre-coded parameters can be applied to any Sim of any height or form without the need to animate each different kind (toddler/kid/adult/elder....dog...dragon?).

    A similar method is already used in Sims4, notably in CAS. Most of the Sim's shape can be adjusted, and no matter what kind of form it has-skinny or fat- the Sim will always move the same way without their limbs or facial features suddenly looking odd and all over the place. Their body adapts to the motion. A skinny Sim can hug a large Sim without their arms getting s.u.c.k.e.d into each other's body. Their arms adapt to whatever width the other Sim is. Unless it's glitching of course...(There's a really fun thread dedicated to that by the way. )

    The only property that can't be adjusted is height, because those parameters haven't been set at the start of development.
    It takes planning and a lot more complex scripting than what is currently there, because as I mentioned, the Sim needs to interact with an environment that is constantly changing (different heights etc.).

    The developers of Paralives are implementing this more complex procedural animation method at the start of development. I believe this is why Paralives can promise height sliders and Sims 4 cannot.

    I don't think that rather than height in the trailer they are just adjusting the scale of the sim (what do they call to the people? )

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eV1d-L-mc

    When the body height was adjusted the whole body literally becomes small. I don't think that is how height should work (atleast for me). Some people just have shorter legs and not scaled down body.

    I do am happy that they are doing these and hope that the game becomes a success!

    @TS1299
    What they demonstrated in the Paralives trailer is a global height slider. It doesn't alter the proportions of the parafolk, but instead resizes the sim completely. If I shrink myself down without altering my body ratio every part of me will get smaller, like in the movie 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids.' The Paralives heightslider is basically a virtual Szalinski's Shrinking Machine. This way you can have fairies or giants. Their body ratio is the same as an average human, it's just that they are scaled up or down.

    Setting different parameters to allow adjustment for each body part, such as giving the sim long legs and a short upper body or vice versa, will require more complex coding again. But in all fairness a potential next installment of the Sims should have this kind of body customization as a main CAS feature because the demand and the technology is there. I don't see it happen for TS4, but I really do hope that's what they're working on in the background while Sims '4' is still in development. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You explained the height tech really well, thanks for that, I didn't know how it actually works, I only could say that the height adjustment in Paralives looks more of an overall scale slider rather than true height mechanics. While I don't think it's bad, I'd be really interested to see two Parafolk of different sizes interacting.

    I remember when I used to play Everquest 2, there were avatars of huge size differences. I played a tiny Gnome for a little while and I noticed when I'd go to stand next to the extremely tall Trolls that there was a mechanic to their heads that had some kind of parameter sensor so that when they were near each other, their heads would turn in the direction of another character and actually look way up or way down to acknowledge the height. I remember thinking it was such a cool little detail that other games didn't really have back then. If you were running through the city and passed other NPCs or players, the heads would turn as you went by. It was a small but fun detail. So my point in bringing this up was to ponder if this kind of thing would be used in Paralives with the height changes so the avatars will look at the correct height. I'm sure there's much better technology now, of course.

    The actual animation though, seems like it would be much trickier and really extensive work for height variations when two avatars have a touching animation like hugging or kissing or Vampire biting or anything like that. I assume it would mean a whole lot of development time to keep up with any new animations. Even some objects would need to be interacted with on varying degrees. It would be like having many different alternate life stages. I imagine something would have to end up simplified.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,448 Member
    edited December 2020
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top