Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't camp on mountain climb?

I'm confused, I thought the whole point of adding tents with this pack is so your sims could camp for the night during the mountain climb? I just sent my sim on a climb, sent him to sleep in the tent as it was the middle of the night and a blizzard and the climb just cancelled because of "too many delays"

Untitled.png

What is the point of adding tents if your sim can't even sleep in them without the event ending? Isn't the whole point of the mountain climb that you're supposed to buy a tent and supplies and take breaks during it? I'm very confused.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Unfortunately they made it into an event like a dinner party. I do not like it either (time limit or multiple sim requirement), but once you reach the top the timer goes away.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Oh, that is disappointing. I was hoping to have it be something arduous that took a couple of sim days and required camping out.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    edited November 2020
    I don't like that it is an event either and timed at that. Should be able to do it anytime and your own way. Can't even proceed to the next level if don't hit all the goals and then it ends badly. Was not very impressed anyway - only got to climb 3 times - the rest of the time the sims are traveled in a loading screen - not much of a challenge really. The cave was not accessible either and it did not even say why - assume it was blocked by icicles, but would it not always have icicles?
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    The reason of that tent being there is probably romantic, not practical. Although, sims could use the bush for woohoo, it's not very pleasant if another sim just peed in it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    It’s annoying that they made it into an event because there’s a timer. When you arrive at the top though the timer disappears and then if you have a tent in your inventory and a cooler, you can make your sims camp there.

My sims slept in the tent at first and the event didn’t end, it was even one of the tasks (get a sim to rest).
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Wow! So more imposed limitations instead of letting us play it how we want!
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I agree! I don’t understand why it couldn’t be done the same way Jungle Adventure was?? It’s so disappointing that you have to rush, I play Sims to avoid stress not cause it. It would have even been fine if they at least let you remove the goals the way other events can.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I dont really play but i strongly feel that timed goal events are really lame when you cant turn it off, just give us an option to do them as we like!!
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Agreed, Super annoying! I went up there wanting to make it like a week long camping and hang out excursion with time to explore etc. Ended up feeling super rushed.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I found the event timer very anoining. I had to get my couple to go back to the bathhouse 4 times before they finally made it to the top of the Summit Mountain.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Wow! So more imposed limitations instead of letting us play it how we want!

"Play how you want" (within our constricted timelines, rules and restrictions). Other than that, HAPPY SIMMING! :D
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    They wanted us to rush in hopes we don’t see how lackluster this pack is really is.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    You can camp for a few hours during the climb but not for the entire night. You have to reach the trail marker, with your entire party, before the timer runs out. That usually leaves several hours for doing other things, including sleeping. In my experience, each event only ends when the timer runs out, you end it early by clicking on the timer button, or you move on by clicking on the Move On button.

My current Sim bought her own tent, grill, cooler, and campfire, and is carrying all of them in her personal inventory. The tent is from Snowy Escape, the grill is from Jungle Adventure, and the cooler and campfire are from Outdoor Retreat. That gives her three ways to get food and she has actually used the grill. She hasn't used her own tent yet but she did sleep in the tent at the base camp, without ending the event. She also took a Disco Nap in the bush, on a different climb, and that didn't end the event either. The key is that her sleep/nap only lasted for an hour or two, so she still had plenty of time to reach the trail marker.

Obviously, the tent is for sleeping. The grill lets her make full meals by grilling. The cooler should let her get quick meals when she doesn't have time to cook. The campfire should allow her to roast marshmallows, hot dogs, and various harvestables, including potatoes, which I found growing in the second area. Unfortunately, my Sim's rock climbing skill wasn't high enough for her to get past that point, so her climb ended when the timer ran out.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited November 2020
    I must be weird but it being a timed event makes it sound more fun to me. I will have to decide once I finally do that event. I play new packs slowly and intermingle things in different ways. There is a mod that unlocks rock walls and I had a fun time adding them to a rental lot in Selvadorada. It will be awesome to now have rock climbing in both cold and hot weather!!!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I don't like it being timed either. I'm not a goal oriented player, I like to create my own circumstances. I'd rather be able to take a small group on a week excursion, make camp at each level and take my time. I wish the timed event had been optional.
    #Team Occult
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2020
    I tried but could not find the mod. It sounds very interesting. Could you please link it, @alan650111 ? Thank you.

Oh, and for the purpose of the thread, I was surprised it was timed as well, it did not feel very realistic to rush up a mountain, tired and hungry (although I did bring everything needed with me). I had looked forward to making an adventure of it. The summit was nice though, and the caves silly enough to make me laugh, so thumbs up.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I tried but could not find the mod. It sounds very interesting. Could you please link it, @alan650111 ? Thank you.

Oh, and for the purpose of the thread, I was surprised it was timed as well, it did not feel very realistic to rush up a mountain, tired and hungry (although I did bring everything needed with me). I had looked forward to making an adventure of it. The summit was nice though, and the caves silly enough to make me laugh, so thumbs up.

https://simfileshare.net/download/2165873/

Thank you.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member

What's weird too is that you can't go back down through the same excursion, you just have to travel after you reached the summit.

Yes, and I took an NPC with me, and they disappeared as soon as the summit was reached.

The next time I made the climb I interacted with them to make them stay; but as soon as I stopped, they went away. I had fed them with hot pot, had an upgraded shower with me that they woohoo'ed in (for the hygiene bar), and a tent and a fire. They did have a job though.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    What's weird too is that you can't go back down through the same excursion, you just have to travel after you reached the summit.

I think it is just how the game was built. You reach sylvan glade through the tree and just travel back home. I think the same mechanism applies here. But for story purposes I can understand if someone wants to travel down.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I normally avoid mods, but if there is one to 'unlock' this event, it would be tempting (assuming that you can still get to the caves at the top). I was really looking forward to the mountain-climbing excursion, and by making it a timed event only, they ruined it for a lot of players. I also assume that once you've done the event, it doesn't open up the mountain for future camping trips: you can still only do it as a timed event.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    @invisiblgirl Unfortunately - it does not open it up once you have done it - you cannot even get to that lot on the top unless you do the event again. I also am unsure if even a modder could unlock it because you cannot even get to the next climb without having to have the sims traveled to it through a loading screen.
  • thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    So, you can’t climb to the top of the mountain UNLESS you do the event? And to do the event, you must have other sims with you? Ugh
    Never forgive, always forget.
    @eddycocaine That is correct. The only part you of it that you can climb on your own is the very first rock climb at the top of the ski lift - you cannot go anywhere past that.