Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How the Sims hinders itself by lack of customization: Swatches

S1MSLYS1S__QARDS1MSLYS1S__QARD Posts: 206 Member
edited November 2020 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Swatches

154. That's how many swatches are needed in the sims 4 need to be customizable enough for players of various taste and style to match with their aesthetics. I based on numerous of factors that could cover most basis even though players may not get their specific colour they would have a colour close to it.

154%2BSwatches.png

This Sims has a vast player group with different style. Some player like vibrant colour other have muted taste, some pastel and cutesy taste others darker palette and some like to mix different aesthetics etc. So this is my colour system. For every Prime colour I did a variation on that colour.

Variations:
vibrant,
dark,
light,
pastel,
pale,
muted,
misc. (which refer to neon for the bright and the undertone for the neutrals)

It makes it harder to style clothes and objects when things are not cohesive throughout. So these swatches should be applied to all aspect of CAS and Build-mode. clothes, eye colour, eyebrows, hairs, furniture, objects etc. this also applies for all their textures of materials like fabrics and woods, metals etc. This doesn't have to apply to patterns or logos because all items should come with the plain swatches and the pattern or logo option put on top or a separate swatch. Materials like denim, suede, latex, wool, leather, wood, metal, brick, wallpaper etc, come in all the swatch colours as plain swatches. Hairs, eyes, and eyebrows also coming in all swatches as plain too.
I worked out this system by changing the saturation and brightness/darkness of each colour. The range of colours consist of neutrals and bright colours spectrums allocated to the corresponding colour type:

154%2BSwatches%2BBrights%2Band%2BNeutrals.png

Without a colour wheel the amount of swatches needed it mat be better to have a colour wheel for how much time it would be to add these swatches however for performance swatches would be better but this is the range we would need across all aspect of swatches for a diverse enough range. the sims don't have to use these specific swatches though I do think they need this type of system the colour swatches in the future.

What do you think about the swatches and colour in the game :)

Comments

• S1MSLYS1S__QARDS1MSLYS1S__QARD Posts: 206 Member
    edited February 2021
    Swatches

154. That's how many swatches are needed in the sims 4 need to be customizable enough for players of various taste and style to match with their aesthetics. I based on numerous of factors that could cover most basis even though players may not get their specific colour they would have a colour close to it.

154%2BSwatches.png

This Sims has a vast player group with different style. Some player like vibrant colour other have muted taste, some pastel and cutesy taste others darker palette and some like to mix different aesthetics etc. So this is my colour system. For every Prime colour I did a variation on that colour.

Variations:
    vibrant,
    dark,
    light,
    pastel,
    pale,
    muted,
    misc. (which refer to neon for the bright and the undertone for the neutrals)

It makes it harder to style clothes and objects when things are not cohesive throughout. So these swatches should be applied to all aspect of CAS and Build-mode. clothes, eye colour, eyebrows, hairs, furniture, objects etc. this also applies for all their textures of materials like fabrics and woods, metals etc. This doesn't have to apply to patterns or logos because all items should come with the plain swatches and the pattern or logo option put on top or a separate swatch. Materials like denim, suede, latex, wool, leather, wood, metal, brick, wallpaper etc, come in all the swatch colours as plain swatches. Hairs, eyes, and eyebrows also coming in all swatches as plain too.
    I worked out this system by changing the saturation and brightness/darkness of each colour. The range of colours consist of neutrals and bright colours spectrums allocated to the corresponding colour type:

154%2BSwatches%2BBrights%2Band%2BNeutrals.png

Without a colour wheel the amount of swatches needed it may be better to have a colour wheel for how much time it would be to add these swatches however for performance swatches would be better but this is the range we would need across all aspect of swatches for a diverse enough range. the sims don't have to use these specific swatches though I do think they need this type of system the colour swatches in the future.

What do you think about the swatches and colour in the game :)

added

How the Sims hinders itself by lack of customization: Colour sliders

The sims 4 new slider system that they added in CAS with new swatches to for skintones, this had me thinking of a new method colour sliders a brightness slider and saturation slider and they should implement them in multiple aspects of the game. Though they still need more swatches however number doesn't have to be so big, just 54.

colours%2Bfor%2Bcolour%2Bslider.png

The reason why these 54 colours need to be added is because with the colours we have now even with the slider of saturation and brightness you still would be able to get a full range of colours like purples.

The reason why I chose these colours is because For me to get the 154 swatches I started off with just the brights, and used the saturation and brightness sliding scaling to get the other colours.

colours%2Bfor%2Bcolour%2Bslider%2Blabeled.png

The reason why in included the Neons is because the neon colour I didn't used the saturation or brightness they are they are the special colours (technically brights). The neutral colours it was difficult to find a base colour for all the neutral.

With these swatches added would make the sims 4 more cohesive with their items, This is how the game should've started and I hope more sliders they add helps with future projects.

Blog here:simlysis-the-simbob.blogspot.com in How the Sims hinders itself by lack of customization: Colour sliders
    😉 :)
    Post edited by S1MSLYS1S__QARD on
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    While I'm all for extreme customization, having that many swatches per item would make each package be enormous!

The colorwheel and CASt would be so much better.

While I'm all for extreme customization, having that many swatches per item would make each package be enormous!

My point was to show the amount of swatches you would need for it to work properly. I have done a previous dicussion on colour wheels here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17588304#Comment_17588304
    But if the Sims are still using the swatches system I think this is the method they need.
    Plus we already do have load of swatches that are about the near amount as 154 or more ( with the expansions we have) the problem is the swatches we get are not cohesive with each other. :)
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I just wish all the swatches matched from pack to pack. They should have set up a universal pallet for all of their artists to use so stuff would match. That can't be difficult. It's just a set of numbers corresponding to a color's hue.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

My point was to show the amount of swatches you would need for it to work properly. I have done a previous dicussion on colour wheels here:
    But if the Sims are still using the swatches system I think this is the method they need.
    Plus we already do have load of swatches that are about the near amount as 154 or more ( with the expansions we have) the problem is the swatches we get are not cohesive with each other. :)

My items don't have near that amount of swatches. Each of my items from the game and all the packs have on average of about 8 swatches each (besides hair and skin tones, which do have more). Are you meaning in total? I was saying if every single object (hair, shoes, clothing in each category, make up category, skin tones, all B/B objects) had all of the color swatches you listed, it would make each of those packages huge.

My items don't have near that amount of swatches. Each of my items from the game and all the packs have on average of about 8 swatches each (besides hair and skin tones, which do have more). Are you meaning in total? I was saying if every single object (hair, shoes, clothing in each category, make up category, skin tones, all B/B objects) had all of the colour swatches you listed, it would make each of those packages huge.

Yes I meant the swatches in total my point was to make if the sims team had done started of with a cohesive system of swatches they wouldn't be so much problem with cohesion. but I don't think adding more swatches would be problem it would be how they implement them as they were able to add more swatch to CAS for skin tones. Having colour wheel doesn't necessary mean it would be better than swatches there is a reason why they didn't choose it in the first place it still takes up space. However in my opinion with sliders they just added to the game it shows a way were we could have the best of both worlds though we would need more swatches to make it cohesive. I think adding saturation and brightness/darkness sliders to swatches is the way sims team can go.

I think in the past their is many things said was implausible but have been proven to be able to done and we need to keep pushing for them for them to be done in the future

I talk more about colour sliders here:simlysis-the-simbob.blogspot.com in How the Sims hinders itself by lack of customization: Colour sliders
    :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    We so need better color slides & color slides to be available for Hair, Clothing, Objects & Build Modes.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

My items don't have near that amount of swatches. Each of my items from the game and all the packs have on average of about 8 swatches each (besides hair and skin tones, which do have more). Are you meaning in total? I was saying if every single object (hair, shoes, clothing in each category, make up category, skin tones, all B/B objects) had all of the color swatches you listed, it would make each of those packages huge.

The packages don't have to be huge. In TS2 it was pretty common to make object sets that used slave textures so you would have one object with the texture files and the others in the set would just borrow it.