Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the point of textbooks?

I've sent multiple Sims through University and usually get decent grades. They use the University homework they get free that appears in their inventory to homework and to study. What's the point of the expensive textbooks?

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Honestly no idea, I never purchased them myself, I would assume they are very similar to a skill book where your sims build skill as they read it.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I want to know the same thing! I rarely have ever bought any textbooks. It's weird that they were even included if they weren't needed.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    As far as I can tell you can increase your grade by studying the textbook. But I think going to class in time and doing presentations is more effective.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I wonder if it's the same as studying on the computer before the final exam. That supposedly lowers the tense moodlet that comes before the final exam.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    They're another way to study. They increase grades, but aren't absolutely necessary. You can study with the computer instead.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I haven't bothered with it.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Good question. I’ve never purchased any or read any and my Sims always end up with an A+. They submit outstanding term papers, excellent presentation boards, and I always have them do “Take Notes” when they attend every class.
  • SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    @Chazzzy Mine, too. I didn't even know they were there until last month and I've had Discover University since it came out. Also #Random, I would totally date the Sim in your profile pic. lol. I never use custom content but I think I might need that do-rag.
    SomeChick1 wrote: »
    @Chazzzy Mine, too. I didn't even know they were there until last month and I've had Discover University since it came out. Also #Random, I would totally date the Sim in your profile pic. lol. I never use custom content but I think I might need that do-rag.

Why thank you ☺️

It’s the du-rag, gets ‘em every time! Haha

I’ll look in my files and see if I can find where I got it from then link you.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    If you have a sim hate computers I guess...
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    The only situation where I've bought a textbook was for a sim who lived off-the-grid while on uni. So I guess there's that?
    origin ID: adduapina
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I study from the textbooks when my sim misses class or is late to class.
  • SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    adduapina wrote: »
    The only situation where I've bought a textbook was for a sim who lived off-the-grid while on uni. So I guess there's that?

You can still just use the free homework to study and do homework.

Actually, no. You souldn't be able to study from the homework book if I remember it correctly.
    If you want a better grade, going to classes and doing homework isn't enough. Your sim has to do some extra studying, either from a computer or textbook.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I'm going to take a wild guess here, that if your Sim reads those expensive books, they may gain in skill.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    They gain skill + grades, and work the same as studying in a computer. It's specially handy if your class requires a final exam. I prefer them over computers though, at least when I'm living in campus. I like making them study outside, and they can also do it while waiting for the class to start when they arrive early
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Text book gains skill points as well as improving grades. My Physics sim had a 10 in Roboticss, 10 in Handiness and probably 7 or 8 in programming from reading books. I took electives like wellness and writing a couple of terms and picked up some skill in those. That sim is leaps and bounds more skilled than my average sim.
    Now that I think about it, I wonder if you could use textbooks to make it like your Sim is taking an online class. Instead of them leaving to go to class, they could study from the textbooks and do homework. I’m not sure how all it would work but it has me curious.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Actually, no. You souldn't be able to study from the homework book if I remember it correctly.
    If you want a better grade, going to classes and doing homework isn't enough. Your sim has to do some extra studying, either from a computer or textbook.

No they don't. Getting to class on time and choosing to take notes along with handing in the term papers, doing homework and doing the presentations gets my sims an A+ every time.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    And then there are situations where you have your sims do all the homework, write outstanding papers/presentations, study and still fail. Albeit, this hasn't happened to me recently.

Til this day DU grading system confuses me so I just go above and beyond. Even buying those textbooks.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    It seems to me like the only way to fail badly is to miss classes completely.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Nah, I get A+ all the time just going to classes and doing homework. Plus the presentations and research papers. Just be sure to take notes in class.

But you're right about the homework. It doesn't allow studying.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    The expensive textbooks are to simulate the college experience. They're probably written by the professors that are teaching you and that's why they cost $900 or whatever. Just another touch of realism to the game (except in the game you don't have to buy them and there's no store that sells used textbooks, but I think they do a textbook buyback program at least).
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
    CelSims wrote: »

No they don't. Getting to class on time and choosing to take notes along with handing in the term papers, doing homework and doing the presentations gets my sims an A+ every time.
    IceyJ wrote: »

Nah, I get A+ all the time just going to classes and doing homework. Plus the presentations and research papers. Just be sure to take notes in class.

But you're right about the homework. It doesn't allow studying.

Hm? Strange, my sims did need to do more than that...
    Perhaps it was changed with an update. I'll have to test it out myself one day.