Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifestyles: how's your experience?

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
I can't get SE soon but i'm super curious about Lifestyles. Can you share your experiences with it? Thanks in advance :)
Post edited by texxx78 on

Comments

• Options
    Bumping this thread :)
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    My advice is wait for a patch or 2 and it goes on sale.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It doesnt change my Sims behaviors as far as I observe, it's basically moodlet play (tense when don't xyz) with new interaction using the same animation. I only have close knit and people person lifestyle though.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I would not call them groundbreaking, but there seems to be plenty of potential there and I Iike playing with them. To be honest, though, I cannot really tell if they have changed autonomous actions. I am a bit of a control freak with my sims, so even with a household of eight I have not sat back and observed enough to really talk about that.

The moodlets are nice, though. Simple emotion play, sure, but much more impactful than the traits. More of a challenge to them, too. Energetic lifestyle beats the active trait hands down, for example. My main problem is really that they are too few. It is a good start and they have potential, but they need to add more with new packs, plain and simple.

They could use some fine tuning right now, admittedly. My energetic lifestyle sim got a +3 uncomfortable moodlet due to lack of exercise. Unfortunately, you cannot exercise when you are very uncomfortable. I had to eliminate all her other contributing moodlets before I could fix it.

Plus my health food nut lifestyle sim still autonomously ate certain snacks, like popcorn from the popcorn popper, all the time despite the negative moodlet. She nearly removed the lifestyle on her own and I had to start watching what she ate. On that note, it certainly helps when all your sims have similar lifestyles, but I think it is fun when they conflict. I found it hilarious when her junk food fiend sister added bacon or sugar to the low fat chilli she had made.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I was about to make a thread asking about what lifestyles actually DO. My sim has developed the Outdoorsy lifestyle and I haven't seen a single new moodlet or change and it's bothering me because I was actively pursuing that and it seems like a waste of time if it does nothing. He also has the "People Person' lifestyle and so far I've seen him get a moodlet about being happy being around people since he was a people person. This same sim has "Single and Lovin' It" in progress. What is great is that all of these lifestyles actually fit his character perfectly. I just was hoping to see more noticeable change. Then again, he's only had the lifestyles for one play session.

Anyway, can people please try to be as detailed as possible with what each lifestyle they've experienced actually does?? I want to know so much more about this feature.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    So far I like the feature, unfortunately mine are bugged causing my Sim to earn 5 lifestyles (the cap is supposed to be 3). I play with autonomy off, so I have no clue what they may do on their own. I have the outdoorsy, single and loving it, and people person (I used a reward item to remove the extra two). So far there are options when socializing to give lifestyle tips to others, and that gives you a positive moodlet. The outdoorsy one gives you a negative moodlet if you spend too much time inside, and a positive one for outdoor activities. People person says they get upset when they have less than 4 friends, it also says they keep low level friendships well, but struggle with keeping high level friends (I just got that one, haven’t seen it work yet). Single and loving it causes a tense mood if they start a committed relationship, and sometimes they wake up with a positive moodlet if they stay single. I have only played with them twice, and my Sim was working on her aspiration, so I haven’t paid too much attention to them yet.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited November 2020
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I was about to make a thread asking about what lifestyles actually DO. My sim has developed the Outdoorsy lifestyle and I haven't seen a single new moodlet or change and it's bothering me because I was actively pursuing that and it seems like a waste of time if it does nothing. He also has the "People Person' lifestyle and so far I've seen him get a moodlet about being happy being around people since he was a people person. This same sim has "Single and Lovin' It" in progress. What is great is that all of these lifestyles actually fit his character perfectly. I just was hoping to see more noticeable change. Then again, he's only had the lifestyles for one play session.

Anyway, can people please try to be as detailed as possible with what each lifestyle they've experienced actually does?? I want to know so much more about this feature.

Okay. Beyond the short summaries of of the lifestyles page in game, my limited experiences have been with the energetic, junk food fiend, health food nut, adrenaline seeker, frequent traveler, hungry for love, and people person lifestyles.

Eldest sister is an adrenaline seeker and frequent traveler. The latter had her energized pretty well the entire time is Selvadorada. When she got home, she got a bored moodlet in what felt like just a few days from wanting to go on another trip. She can talk about her travels with it, too. Adrenaline seeker allows her to talk about her adventures, gives her a boost and positive moodlets from her secret agent career, and seems to be helpful with active stuff in general. Being honest, I saw no negatives, but that is probably how I played. Adrenaline seeker overlaps pretty well with energetic, so it is easy to earn both.

Second oldest sister is the health food nut that nearly ate herself out of her lifestyle. She autonomously cooked, but I could not tell if it was related to her lifestyle besides it being the new healthy recipes. Supposedly it is supposed to give her workout bonuses after, but I never messed with it. Oh, she can talk about health food, too.

Middle two twin sisters have the junk food fiend lifestyle. They are supposed to prefer quick meals and junk food, but I could not really tell if the autonomous quick meals were a part of it. I did not have a problem with them eating anything they did not like and they can add bacon or sugar to just about anything. Oftentimes to their older sister's cooking since I don't make them cook. Then they can talk about junk food.

Younger twin also has the energetic lifestyle, mentioned earlier with the uncomfortable emotion exercise paralysis. She was on vacation at the time, so I was kind of annoyed, but otherwise it matches up well with her active lifestyle. She has high fitness skill and is energized pretty often. The thing about energetic is I am not always sure what counts. For example, she was exploring the ruins in Selvadorada and got the negative moodlet but was fine on a mountain excursion.

Youngest sister I cheated hungry for love. I wanted to see the negative effects of pining for a partner. Honestly, it was less extreme than the jealous trait from what I remember in making her tense. Anyway, the lifestyle faded away at a decent pace.

As for people person, I have not been able to tell much with this. My household is large and celebrities and aspiration rewards mess with the relationships I would need to monitor.

That is what I have for right now.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Honestly I haven't noticed them at all since I've been playing with the pack, none of my sims have developed any
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Honestly I’m finding them kind of annoying but also I’m not entirely sure they are functioning right. My sim got the frequent traveler lifestyle from going on one single vacation and now she just constantly gets +5 bored moodlet from not travelling. The lifestyle says it’s obtained from going on vacations yet my sim seems to become happy again from just travelling to another world via the phone, no vacation involved.

Another sim got the single and loving it lifestyle just after I had her get involved romantically with another sim. Surely if she has just become involved romantically with another sim she is no longer single and loving it but some how she still was given that life style.

I’ve been considering turning the lifestyles off until improvements are made.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »

Okay. Beyond the short summaries of of the lifestyles page in game, my limited experiences have been with the energetic, junk food fiend, health food nut, adrenaline seeker, frequent traveler, hungry for love, and people person lifestyles.

Eldest sister is an adrenaline seeker and frequent traveler. The latter had her energized pretty well the entire time is Selvadorada. When she got home, she got a bored moodlet in what felt like just a few days from wanting to go on another trip. She can talk about her travels with it, too. Adrenaline seeker allows her to talk about her adventures, gives her a boost and positive moodlets from her secret agent career, and seems to be helpful with active stuff in general. Being honest, I saw no negatives, but that is probably how I played. Adrenaline seeker overlaps pretty well with energetic, so it is easy to earn both.

Second oldest sister is the health food nut that nearly ate herself out of her lifestyle. She autonomously cooked, but I could not tell if it was related to her lifestyle besides it being the new healthy recipes. Supposedly it is supposed to give her workout bonuses after, but I never messed with it. Oh, she can talk about health food, too.

Middle two twin sisters have the junk food fiend lifestyle. They are supposed to prefer quick meals and junk food, but I could not really tell if the autonomous quick meals were a part of it. I did not have a problem with them eating anything they did not like and they can add bacon or sugar to just about anything. Oftentimes to their older sister's cooking since I don't make them cook. Then they can talk about junk food.

Younger twin also has the energetic lifestyle, mentioned earlier with the uncomfortable emotion exercise paralysis. She was on vacation at the time, so I was kind of annoyed, but otherwise it matches up well with her active lifestyle. She has high fitness skill and is energized pretty often. The thing about energetic is I am not always sure what counts. For example, she was exploring the ruins in Selvadorada and got the negative moodlet but was fine on a mountain excursion.

Youngest sister I cheated hungry for love. I wanted to see the negative effects of pining for a partner. Honestly, it was less extreme than the jealous trait from what I remember in making her tense. Anyway, the lifestyle faded away at a decent pace.

As for people person, I have not been able to tell much with this. My household is large and celebrities and aspiration rewards mess with the relationships I would need to monitor.

That is what I have for right now.

Thanks so much for that detailed summary! These definitely seem to add much needed consequences. I really hope they fix the whole uncomfortable thing when it comes to exercise because that seems like an oversight. I definitely will aim to see if I can get my sims more lifestyles in my game to mess with them myself.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    My alien named Kerrigan has the Frequent Traveler Lifestyle as she flies often to Batuu. She's a scientist and robotics engineer so it's really fun to see her plugging away on her work and then find that she's bored with it and just wants to go on another trip. That's exactly how I've always played and envisioned the character. Otherwise I haven't experienced much from Lifestyles yet. I can tell some of my more athletic sims are ticking off boxes on their way to Lifestyle but they haven't unlocked yet.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Two of my sims have six lifestyles each so they're definitely bugged. They both have things like outdoorsy, adrenaline seeker, frequent traveler and get moodlets to do with their lifestyles a lot. I quite like the nudge the moods give me to go have them do something related if I want to keep them in character. I can't really say that I have noticed it effecting their autonomy which I feel would improve them generally for me, to help make sims feel like individuals.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I have a hard time to get the lifestyles or my sim gets random lifestyles that don't align with their personalities. For example, my Sim has a thirst for knowledge and his aspiration was related to university. However, he randomly acquired the people-person lifestyle (had a lot of acquaintances in college from the debate guild) and the workaholic lifestyle (I'm assuming for working hard every day at work). His wife (who was a townie and then I took control of her as a young adult) is a people-person too (from befriending random townies from the welcome committee and festivals in Mt. Komorebi) but her aspiration is related to being wealthy. I guess I need to know how we can get them and what triggers it.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. This gives me a better insight of what lifestyles are about. It seems that there are some bugs yet, but i like what i hear about them...
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It seems like it takes forever to earn them. I don’t necessarily like that.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited November 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It seems like it takes forever to earn them. I don’t necessarily like that.

I'm afraid that it will be too easy, seeing how some have ended up with the peoples person lifestyle without aiming for it. I would probably only like one or two lifestyles per each sim and it worries me that I would have to concentrate a lot to prevent them for gaining more. Like with parenthood character values some are super easy to increase, but hard to decrease. I have households where my playtime revolves around adjusting those values, especially lowering them. Because of this it's such a relief when teens grow up and the values are done. I'm worried this will pack will expand that "gameplay" to older sims as well. Still I'm really curious about lifestyles and keep hoping they work well.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    As a rotational player, none of my Sims have gotten any.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    jenaysaisquoijenaysaisquoi Posts: 2 New Member
    My sims have developed the close-knit and energetic lifestyles. It took a few days to earn them and it's nice to be able to see which ones are in progress based on the choices Sims make. Sims receive a positive buff for continuing to engage in behaviors that support that lifestyle and negative buffs for doing activities against that lifestyle or not doing an activity that supports that lifestyle that day. I unfortunately haven't been able to enjoy them that much because they do seem bugged. My sim with the close-knit lifestyle kept getting a permanent negative buff for having too many friends even though she only had 3 and my energetic sim keeps getting a negative buff for having traits that conflict with her lifestyle (she's an energetic, cheerful, bookworm). I'm hoping they fix this with an upcoming patch.
  • Options
    My sims have developed the close-knit and energetic lifestyles. It took a few days to earn them and it's nice to be able to see which ones are in progress based on the choices Sims make. Sims receive a positive buff for continuing to engage in behaviors that support that lifestyle and negative buffs for doing activities against that lifestyle or not doing an activity that supports that lifestyle that day. I unfortunately haven't been able to enjoy them that much because they do seem bugged. My sim with the close-knit lifestyle kept getting a permanent negative buff for having too many friends even though she only had 3 and my energetic sim keeps getting a negative buff for having traits that conflict with her lifestyle (she's an energetic, cheerful, bookworm). I'm hoping they fix this with an upcoming patch.

Interesting! I guess they really are going to have to examine each trait to see how they can balance it out with the new lifestyles. I really hope they don't end up lessening effects of the lifestyles in the process. I really enjoy that I felt I actively have to work towards a goal to get the lifestyles. They aren't super quick to get which is a thing I was worried about. I was afraid that all my sims would be techies or something.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    My Sim has more than 3 lifestyles, which I thought 3 was the max. One of the lifestyles she has is the thrill seeker one & the active/energetic one (sorry forgot). She's a writer, that's how she earns her living. But she constantly has the bored moodlet as it "conflicts" with her lifestyles. But she's not a new Sim, she's always been a writer and I started her out skiing and snowboarding and she's exceling in those which is how she got the lifestyles. However, anytime she sits down to write a novel, the bored moodlet just appears. I feel like these lifestyes are way too linear focused. A person can be a thrill seeker and energetic/athletic and still enjoy writing a novel, or reading a book or any other activity that's "less energetic". It seems very moodlet/emotions based.....versus it being tied to the Sims personality and having whims for actions the Sim may want to do that relates to their lifestyle.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »

Same.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »

How often do you rotate and have you already rotated back to the households to continue their progress?
  • Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    I sent a family of 8 on vacation to Mt. Komorebi. The 2 sims that went mountain climbing got the outdoors lifestyle, the active and the adrenaline junkie one (sorry, my game is in spanish, so I'm not sure of the exact english names of the lifestyles). I feel like those make sense. After they got home from vacation, one of them was bored all the time, from being indoors and inactive. I sent her jogging often for her to be happy - I liked that. Something I'm not sure of is how to maintain the adrenaline junkie lifestyle outside of Mt. Komorebi.

The other sims who went on hikes instead, only got the outdoors lifestyle. I haven't observed any negative moodlets from being back from vacation on them, just on that one sim. Maybe it's becase all those sims have jobs outside the home or school, so they do get out of the house everyday, whereas the one sim that gets the negative moodlets works from home.

Back home, after my politician sim talked to many many sims to collect funds for his campaign, he got the social lifestyle - but I haven't experienced any negative moodlets from it and haven't observed that he does stuff autonomously, maybe he is better at maintaining conversations autonomously than other sims, but I can't tell.
  • Options
    AlrynnAlrynn Posts: 44 Member
    In my humble opinion the causality of Lifestyles is backwards in the game at the moment. I would love to have my sims to be affected by their lifestyle and not a lifestyle being affected by what my sim does. What I mean by that is since my sim already does all the things to get the lifestyle then there is no benefit for me to even have it... I would like to choose lifestyles for my sims in CAS for example and then for them to affect my sim's autonomy and whims. So as they are now, I see no use for them whatsoever. My sims get them automatically, lose them automatically and I do not notice any difference in my gameplay.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Both of my sims on vacation in MtK got the lifestyle "well traveled" or something, they can share travel stories now...
    So far I am not very impressed with the Lifestyles, the ones they chose to make seem odd to me and not very versatile, there are no "negative" ones for one, like one for evil sims and the others all seem like things we already got as traits in game.
    The only one I am interested in is the coffee one, I SO wanna get one of my sims addicted to coffee and I love that they added that.
    But tbf I only have one active lifestyle in my game atm, so maybe in time with more of them I'll see the point?
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat