Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff from older pack in new EP... It is some new in Snowy escape?

I'm most disappointed that a lot of things are just a new version of old things. Almost nothing new. Just skiing and such, but it is tied to this world.

I think I didn't have to buy so many packages (fitness, spa, outdoor).
I wonder what's new here? only ski and map...

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Everything is a copy of something. Why reinvent the wheel when you can edit the existing one. For example, they placed a kids outdoor play gym space ship in one of the festival areas but it is covered in snow and ice. It might have different game play, I won't know until I get the pack. So what.

Maybe you should make a list of copies of things that annoy you and we can respond to it.

As for just skiing and such being the only new things, you might want to rewatch the trailers and reread the blogs. And skiing and such are big, new things. They went from a half-pipe to an entire mountain with a bunny slope and four harder slopes, or do you think these are copies of the half-pipe interactions too?
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    FIRST: Climmbing wall. If you are climbing there is no reason to have a climbing wall in your fitness package. They could put another thing in the fitness package. Another type of tool. So that we don't have just three things in gyms .... Just a treadmill, a fitness machine and a punching bag ...

Or they could put some new exercise tools in this package as compensation ... Will there be a climbing skill now? or will athletics be enough? The climbing wall can't be outside because the rain will destroy it ... We were very grateful for it, but now I feel disappointed. It would belong here.

Second: repellent sprays .. third version. Boredom!

Third: New type of tent. Um nice, but almost useless if you have Granite Falls. And I love camping, but it's just what we already have!

Fourth: Meditation, I don't know, they showed little of it in the trailer, but well, what about the wellness skill? we already have. If they preferred to add martial arts!

Fifth: Spa, yes it's a little different, because it's natural hot springs, but basically a repetition of what we have.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Maybe there are no new ideas - it has all been done.
    I don't mind if they build upon a skill from a previous pack, but yeah it does seem like this pack just took skills from previous packs, like the new lifestyles reminds me of the quirks from get famous. So it doesn't seem like it expands the game play in that sims are not able to function in a way they never have before.

This pack is a pass for me. I like the ability to build with platforms but not for $20 (I don't pay full price for packs). And I am not a big snow person, making snow pals and snow angels is good enough for me
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    Sixth_ Yes festivals... they are so bore, the are not in calendar system. New festivals are festivals, nothing great, nothing challenge here :(
    FIRST: Climmbing wall. If you are climbing there is no reason to have a climbing wall in your fitness package. They could put another thing in the fitness package. Another type of tool. So that we don't have just three things in gyms .... Just a treadmill, a fitness machine and a punching bag ...

Or they could put some new exercise tools in this package as compensation ... Will there be a climbing skill now? or will athletics be enough? The climbing wall can't be outside because the rain will destroy it ... We were very grateful for it, but now I feel disappointed. It would belong here.

Third: New type of tent. Um nice, but almost useless if you have Granite Falls. And I love camping, but it's just what we already have!

Fourth: Meditation, I don't know, they showed little of it in the trailer, but well, what about the wellness skill? we already have. If they preferred to add martial arts!

Fifth: Spa, yes it's a little different, because it's natural hot springs, but basically a repetition of what we have.

First: The fitness package came long before Snowy Escape was conceived. So how would they known not to add it to Fitness Stuff? Yes, there is a new climbing skill.

Second: A new repellent spray for the new electric bugs is hardly worth mentioning, being as small of an add as they are.

Third: Not everyone has Outdoor Retreat so how would they get a tent unless it was added in this pack? It's not a good idea to assume that everyone has every pack.

Forth: Meditation, zen (mindfulness) and wellness are different branches on the same tree, but, one does not cover all three. Each is achieved in a different way for different results. You can Google the differences at your leisure. You could make the same argument for new foods or drinks. As long as a sim completes their nourishment needs, why create different foods with every pack? They all do the same thing with no difference to your sim.

Fifth: The Bathhouse is not a repetition of what we already have (again, if you have Spa Day at all) but different. In Spa Day we got massages, body, hand and foot, a steam room with woohoo, private showers, tubs got new soaks like mud, rose petals, etc. Gym equipment and yoga, just to name a few features.

Snowy Escape's bathhouse gives us indoor/outdoor hot springs with woohoo, open (I'm guessing unisex) showers, and, possibly, communal dressing/undressing. Your sim can even fall asleep in the hot springs.

There are similarities between Spa Day and Snowy Escape's bathhouses but, they are also very different. As if you and your sibling were similar (sharing the same parents) but totally different people. Similar, but not the same.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,389 Member
    I'm most disappointed that a lot of things are just a new version of old things. Almost nothing new. Just skiing and such, but it is tied to this world.

Things in this new pack that were in others.

Tents
    Bond Fire
    Woohoo Bush
    Woohoo Closet
    Hottubs aka Hot Springs
    Wall Showers from Uni

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited October 2020
    The packs are not really unique anymore. The pack has a lot of similar features with other packs but they are still a bit different I guess...

This pack: Festivals, Hot Springs, Hiking, Japanese Gardens, finding your zen, rock climbing, electric bugs.
    Other packs: Festivals, Hot Tubs, Camping, Parks, meditation/yoga, wall climbing, fire bats.

There are some new things in this pack like skiing but I can see how many features can feel like features that we have gotten in older packs.

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think almost everything from this pack is recycled from another pack. Like you said, the only exceptions are skiing, snowboarding and sledding.

I wouldn't care if there was plenty of other new content as well. But there isn't. So, you're basically paying $40 for a world, snow activities and reskinned animations from other packs. IMO, not worth $40.

Tents
    Bond Fire
    Woohoo Bush
    Woohoo Closet
    Hottubs aka Hot Springs
    Wall Showers from Uni

For that matter, chairs, tables, doors, windows, beds, basically almost everything has been done before in some manner or fashion. I don't get what the big deal is. If you're shopping for a new chair, it's probably not very different from other chairs that you already own. How many chairs do you already own that are different yet the same?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

Tents
    Bond Fire
    Woohoo Bush
    Woohoo Closet
    Hottubs aka Hot Springs
    Wall Showers from Uni

The hot springs are so much bigger than the hot tubs. I also read that they are supposed to relieve pain from snow injuries.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited October 2020

Unless you are a collector of Sims 4 not everyone is going to have every pack so maybe people will get things they don’t necessarily have from previous packs in Snowy Escape.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    bixters wrote: »
    I think almost everything from this pack is recycled from another pack. Like you said, the only exceptions are skiing, snowboarding and sledding.

I wouldn't care if there was plenty of other new content as well. But there isn't. So, you're basically paying $40 for a world, snow activities and reskinned animations from other packs. IMO, not worth $40.

yes! This is my view! If they give enough new so I do not care about use older stuff. But they no..
  • szajkaszajka Posts: 9 New Member
    [quote="pepperjax1230;c-17707313"]Unless you are a collector of Sims 4 not everyone is going to have every pack so maybe people will get things they don’t necessarily have from previous packs in Snowy Escape.

[/quote]

This makes no sense. That is why we have little stuff packs with small activities and game packs with one feature. So you can choose what you want in your game. Now I have to pay for second spa thing and many other reskinned animations to get the world and winter sports. I am actually punished for having more packs. And I should be rewarded instead - it does not making any sense.

I am really sad because of lack of connetions between the packs.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I actually don't mind they reuse some of these things, just so long as some new things are added in. For me, it ties the packs into each other and makes things feel more cohesive. Usually it's not just an exact carbon copy either but an idea expanded upon. In turn, I can use the new items in older builds and improve on them. In terms of things like tents (or when they added bikes with EL), it gives you a bit of variety too so every sim isn't using the exact same tent/bike etc. It's something new to look at and refreshes an older interaction. :)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    Camkat wrote: »
    I actually don't mind they reuse some of these things, just so long as some new things are added in. For me, it ties the packs into each other and makes things feel more cohesive. Usually it's not just an exact carbon copy either but an idea expanded upon. In turn, I can use the new items in older builds and improve on them. In terms of things like tents (or when they added bikes with EL), it gives you a bit of variety too so every sim isn't using the exact same tent/bike etc. It's something new to look at and refreshes an older interaction. :)

Yes but here is no very really new things. They can give us Go, better for this world as chess, But no... No active Zen garden, nothing about tea..
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I'm actually really excited for the climbing in this pack. I actually think I will use it a lot more than the one that came with the fitness pack. It's also not exactly the same as it comes with a new death and event tied to it. I also love festivals so I'm okay with more of them. I don't mind them reusing things if they feel different.

As long as the new things are the focus and the reused things are to enhance, I'm fine with it.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    szajka wrote: »
    Unless you are a collector of Sims 4 not everyone is going to have every pack so maybe people will get things they don’t necessarily have from previous packs in Snowy Escape.

This makes no sense. That is why we have little stuff packs with small activities and game packs with one feature. So you can choose what you want in your game. Now I have to pay for second spa thing and many other reskinned animations to get the world and winter sports. I am actually punished for having more packs. And I should be rewarded instead - it does not making any sense.

I am really sad because of lack of connections between the packs.

While I may agree with you, seeing that this pack contains snow does not require folks to own seasons as there is skiing in the pack and one cannot ski w/o snow. If I am correct this pack is one of those packs where certain features are restricted to that pack and may not be accessible in other areas of the game. So for me this does not defeat the purpose of why buy seasons? Now if EA/Maxis pulled an move and state you must own Seasons to experience snow in SE that would be foul and they would actually shoot themselves in the foot with that. It depends on how one looks at it. also if one does not own Seasons they may have no control of controlling the weather as those who own Seasons.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

Yes but here is no very really new things. They can give us Go, better for this world as chess, But no... No active Zen garden, nothing about tea..

The new dining table and seats? Platforms. They would have had to redo animations for that a little bit since they aren't sitting at a dining chair height. Looks like taking off shoes is new too. Not all big things, but new things that will make a difference and along with skiing, snowboarding AND sledding (3 new animations at least), bowing to greet. What about lifestyles and sentiments? Vacation lots and livable lots in one world. Vending machines. To me, it seems that this pack, while using a lot of old animations and ideas, are still tying it in with a lot of new ones as well. Arguably more than some packs over the past year or so. We still don't know a lot yet either, mind you and we will see a more in depth dive into what is all in this pack on the livestream later today.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2020
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

First: The fitness package came long before Snowy Escape was conceived. So how would they known not to add it to Fitness Stuff? Yes, there is a new climbing skill.

Second: A new repellent spray for the new electric bugs is hardly worth mentioning, being as small of an add as they are.

Third: Not everyone has Outdoor Retreat so how would they get a tent unless it was added in this pack? It's not a good idea to assume that everyone has every pack.

Forth: Meditation, zen (mindfulness) and wellness are different branches on the same tree, but, one does not cover all three. Each is achieved in a different way for different results. You can Google the differences at your leisure. You could make the same argument for new foods or drinks. As long as a sim completes their nourishment needs, why create different foods with every pack? They all do the same thing with no difference to your sim.

Fifth: The Bathhouse is not a repetition of what we already have (again, if you have Spa Day at all) but different. In Spa Day we got massages, body, hand and foot, a steam room with woohoo, private showers, tubs got new soaks like mud, rose petals, etc. Gym equipment and yoga, just to name a few features.

Snowy Escape's bathhouse gives us indoor/outdoor hot springs with woohoo, open (I'm guessing unisex) showers, and, possibly, communal dressing/undressing. Your sim can even fall asleep in the hot springs.

There are similarities between Spa Day and Snowy Escape's bathhouses but, they are also very different. As if you and your sibling were similar (sharing the same parents) but totally different people. Similar, but not the same.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Danny has ended the discussion lol
    Not including all the new things we're going to pretend doesn't exist in this pack?
    Hiking together is a new activity a lot of simmers wanted.
    All the items and new activities with new complex animations they had to make for it.
    The festivals are basically new with new things to do there and even fun things for kids
    Possibly new things with the cave we haven't seen.
    Sure we could camp before but now we can camp at the top of a mountain that takes work to get there!! That's totally new.
    A new snow thunder storm! And new deaths.
    A new way of eating. Plus according to the description you can even choose which utensil you want to eat with.
    New way of greeting. New curses you can get from the new graveyard
    New swimming area is always welcome in my game. should they not have included this because we already have swimming in Sulani? Well I want swimming in every new world.
    New things to add to sims personality plus stuff I didn't mention and things we don't know yet.

I get what your'e saying but this argument just doesn't work too well with this pack that is full of totally new fun stuff and a new use for old similar things. Even to me climbing a wall from fitness stuff and climbing a hudge snowy stormy mountain with climbing gear is in a whole nother league. We can even argue that the animation for it is the same maybe? But how many different motions are there in climbing in real life to make it unique?
    Just imagine if they told us "sorry guys, we wanted to let you climb up a mountain but you probably already have fitness stuff so just climb that outside in the blizzard and pretend you are on a moutain." I would be like 😭😭😭😭😭 lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I like the fact that my Sims has a new place to do similar looking things, with new outcome. Neither of my Sims has gone downhill before and I really would like to see how my less atletic Sims will be doing.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I think one issue is that with 30 + packs that are released already there are only so many different activities that they can add to a pack so that it feels unique. Especially if they don't want to make any larger changes to the game engine.

They are most likely going to add similar features in future packs as well so the question remains how different they will feel, it depends a lot on how they are used in the game.

I'm usually against them reusing features when it doesn't look good or does not make sense, like the cafeteria in Discover University, they just reused the market stand so the sim is standing there and shouting in the cafeteria, why would a person ever do that?

But if they have features that are different enough and makes sense, then I'm fine with it.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    For someone who has almost all packs, snowy escape has maybe only 2 new things. Gimme 70% discount i will get it. 🤪
    Yes, we got new tables, actually a table ... but not futons, we didn't get an active Zen garden. Not to mention the teahouse. Or about hotels.
    At least there is skiing, ok and does not look bad, but it is only for this area. Uniforms are also said to be for this area only ....
    A children's festival? Lol, there's a do that just art tables and chemical (at least that's finally a new chemical, after all these years), but just nothing new.
    Yeah mountaineering looks good here, but they just had to throw in a new exercise machine! Why they just didn't need so much that when the animations are already ...

YES, I know, a new spray for electric beetles, but it's just boring, you go somewhere and you get attacked by insects, they just used it many times. I'd rather have something new!

The city is gorgeous, and it's not just a sight, no new gameplay. No new challenge. And they spend for nonsense like buying clothes at a vending machine! OMG, that's so useless!

Just when they recycled so many things I would expect a lot of new ones. But it did not happen. Just skiing and one type of table ..
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2020
    jimbbq wrote: »
    For someone who has almost all packs, snowy escape has maybe only 2 new things. Gimme 70% discount i will get it. 🤪

Exactly :p There's like 4 new gameplay objects and vending machines aren't even animated properly. Like come on they couldn't have put a sound and a shake to give the impression that something has fallen? And make the sim reach the lid thingy in the vending machine?

And I wish sims could "rake"/tend the zen gardens.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jimbbq wrote: »

Exactly :p There's like 4 new gameplay objects and vending machines aren't even animated properly. Like come on they couldn't have put a sound and a shake to give the impression that something has fallen? And make the sim reach the lid thingy in the vending machine?

And I wish sims could "rake"/tend the zen gardens.

But the vending machine does shake and the sims could get injured by it.

I agree with Dannydanbo on this. Some stuff is similar, but different enough. I also don't have all packs so I am glad they add these features, like the hot springs and the rock climbing. Even if I had Fitness Stuff, climbing in a gym is way different than climbing a real mountain. If I play a sim in Oasis Spring, I would go to the gym maybe everyday to climb the wall but I would not go to Mt. Komorebi every day, just ocasionally. Just like in real life, going far away from your house is not something you can do every day.
    I do prefer more festivals. The Geek Con is not the same as this new festival.