Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can we glean from the Gamechanger build videos?

DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
Lil Simsie, James Turner, Simlicy, and Deligracy built the lots for Mt. Komorebi (as discussed here.) The conversation in that thread doesn't quite seem suitable for what I want to discuss, so I started a new one, but if Mods want to merge the two, I'm cool with that.

Okay, so a couple of things I picked up from the Gamechanger build videos that went up today:

Taking off shoes is controlled by a sign you add to the lot. (LilSimsie said they were asked to include it on all builds and that's what triggers taking off the shoes)

Platforms have a separate height control from foundations and seem to be able to match the shapes of any of the flooring shapes, so there will probably be some tricks to get them to match odd-shaped rooms. Also, you can build stairs up to them if they're more than one step up.

Platforms can also be used to make flat roofs.

Did Anyone notice anything else?

Comments

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    There are really cool new ceiling lamps.

In another thread, people were concerned that there might not be premade Sims in this pack. There are!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    There are really cool new ceiling lamps.

In another thread, people were concerned that there might not be premade Sims in this pack. There are!

Simlicy's video showed the base game tea maker and apparently there are no decorative china teapots in game. Hope there is a real Japanese style tea set for our sims.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    The furniture looks awesome! I especially love the new kitchen and bathroom pieces.

The taking off shoes thing is going in all my houses. I just hope it doesn't glitch out and cause sims to go running about in the snow in their socks!

The circles in the sand are new floor tiles.
    We finally got a new science table for the kids! (Why did that old one only ever come in green?)
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    How about evilor mean Sims, will they take of their shoes or cause friction?
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    The furniture looks awesome! I especially love the new kitchen and bathroom pieces.

The taking off shoes thing is going in all my houses. I just hope it doesn't glitch out and cause sims to go running about in the snow in their socks!

We finally got a new science table for the kids! (Why did that old one only ever come in green?)

I'm really excited about the new science table!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Lil Simsie, James Turner, Simlicy, and Deligracy built the lots for Mt. Komorebi (as discussed here.) The conversation in that thread doesn't quite seem suitable for what I want to discuss, so I started a new one, but if Mods want to merge the two, I'm cool with that.

Okay, so a couple of things I picked up from the Gamechanger build videos that went up today:

Taking off shoes is controlled by a sign you add to the lot. (LilSimsie said they were asked to include it on all builds and that's what triggers taking off the shoes)

Platforms have a separate height control from foundations and seem to be able to match the shapes of any of the flooring shapes, so there will probably be some tricks to get them to match odd-shaped rooms. Also, you can build stairs up to them if they're more than one step up.

Platforms can also be used to make flat roofs.

Did Anyone notice anything else?

Awesome thanks for the info.
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I really liked the new wall mailbox! I'll probably use it all the time in my builds. And also the new wall shower (although I would prefer it without that small mirror attached to it).
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    It did make me smile how they all added the base game bonsai thing into their builds 😄
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    The lots are nice. Build/buy looks good but once again there’s NO kitchen cabinets, which is annoying because I like to build kitchens with cabinets. Could they give us complete kitchens like they used to ? Counters, cabinets and island.

Finally they gave us stacked plates as a clutter item, I know I’ll use it a lot.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    The lots are nice. Build/buy looks good but once again there’s NO kitchen cabinets, which is annoying because I like to build kitchens with cabinets. Could they give us complete kitchens like they used to ? Counters, cabinets and island.

Finally they gave us stacked plates as a clutter item, I know I’ll use it a lot.

Since the counters are open shelves, I think the "cabinets" are just shelves as wells. They did have the little wall decor shelves with teapots.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    On James Video he showed us the earlier version of the World in August, where everything is still flat and they are just Starting to build the world by adding pathways, trees, rivers, and etc.

Now That is a disappointment seeing to me seeing how much had changed in the way they are developing their worlds. Why? By August came in They are just building the world, they are beginning to add new stuff and etc. The game was announced at October, it is safe then to say that the world come around to completion by September.

Compare it to Get Together. The Game was announced in August. By the time they announced it had appeared that they are much more advanced. They already finished a lot of neighborhoods for the same November release. The result? Windenburg is the biggest world in TS4.

They world was still a cavas by August, yet during Get Together Development, the World was already nearing in completion. While some may argue that Get Together used alot of assets from the leftovers of the base game (especially The Sims Olympus), San Myshuno also appears to be finished in world development by that time. City Living was announced in the First week of September. It is safe to say then by August, they are already polishing up the world.

I find it sad that the development has changed, instead we only get 3 neighborhoods per world.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited October 2020
    Maybe but with Island Living there was also no cabinet, just that decor shelf, with Realm of Magic there was nothing at all....so I don’t want them to make it a habit.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »

Since the counters are open shelves, I think the "cabinets" are just shelves as wells. They did have the little wall decor shelves with teapots.

I was surprised to hear they were contacted in August and the game was far from finished, they only had very few build items. And they had the idea for that EP from the survey In January (I think it was January?) so it means it was developed rather fast.
  • Options
    waxesnostalgicwaxesnostalgic Posts: 38 Member
    I really enjoyed seeing a glimpse at the new build buy. So many items I will probably use all of the time. I'm sad about no functional tea items, though. I was hoping for more than tea in a coffee mug.

I also loved that the gamechangers did so much research. The homes they built did look like real Japanese homes, mostly, and I'm excited to get them with the pack. (Though that's an izakaya menu, not a poker score board, simlicy. XD)

I noticed one of the wall paintings shown in one of the builds actually used the offensive imagery... I imagine that will be one of the changes made before release. Knowing that, I'm not as surprised that they were so quick to apologize about the kimono which just kind of resembled it.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I really enjoyed seeing a glimpse at the new build buy. So many items I will probably use all of the time. I'm sad about no functional tea items, though. I was hoping for more than tea in a coffee mug.

I also loved that the gamechangers did so much research. The homes they built did look like real Japanese homes, mostly, and I'm excited to get them with the pack. (Though that's an izakaya menu, not a poker score board, simlicy. XD)

I noticed one of the wall paintings shown in one of the builds actually used the offensive imagery... I imagine that will be one of the changes made before release. Knowing that, I'm not as surprised that they were so quick to apologize about the kimono which just kind of resembled it.

I'm not sure they did any research. They all mention they 'were told to keep the toilet separate from the washing area'. The builds are much better than we usually get but I do wish they had invited people like Freezerbunny, who has done a whole series of Japanese builds, studied eastern Asian and particularly Japanese architecture, and explains in his videos what each room is called, what it is for, etc.
  • Options
    waxesnostalgicwaxesnostalgic Posts: 38 Member
    Well, I guess what I meant is that I was happy they actually did research at all. They were much better than I expected, but my expectations were very low.
  • Options
    They all look nice and more importantly, easy to play in. I particularly liked Simlicys. It was interesting to see how the platforms could be used and the new build buy we got glimpses of.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    One thing we can glean is that we'll be able to follow the gondelas in the air with the camera. One of the game changers showed that.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

I'm not sure they did any research. They all mention they 'were told to keep the toilet separate from the washing area'. The builds are much better than we usually get but I do wish they had invited people like Freezerbunny, who has done a whole series of Japanese builds, studied eastern Asian and particularly Japanese architecture, and explains in his videos what each room is called, what it is for, etc.

FreezerBunny would be a perfect choice! I love his Japanese builds so much.
    I know he will build a lot for this pack and I'll be able to download, but he usually uses too much packs and his houses sometimes are not very playable. If he was building with restrictions and even no MOO though... One can dream. 😅
  • Options
    somewhsome wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »

FreezerBunny would be a perfect choice! I love his Japanese builds so much.
    I know he will build a lot for this pack and I'll be able to download, but he usually uses too much packs and his houses sometimes are not very playable. If he was building with restrictions and even no MOO though... One can dream. 😅

I've never downloaded one of his builds. I like his videos for the clear and informative voice over and ideas for my own builds :) His are usually very lovely but I learnt a while ago to steer clear of actually downloading those from most youtubers.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member

I didn't realize the sand was just floor tiles. It makes sense why it looked so flat. I'm guessing we can't rake the zen garden... like we could in Sims 2...

Anyway, we are also getting a recolor of the craft table. We seem to get one with every pack now. Maybe it will have some cute art inspired by the new world.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited October 2020
    I didn't realize the sand was just floor tiles. It makes sense why it looked so flat. I'm guessing we can't rake the zen garden... like we could in Sims 2...

Not very zen... I was looking forward to raking my rock garden. :(

• Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    On James Video he showed us the earlier version of the World in August, where everything is still flat and they are just Starting to build the world by adding pathways, trees, rivers, and etc.

Now That is a disappointment seeing to me seeing how much had changed in the way they are developing their worlds. Why? By August came in They are just building the world, they are beginning to add new stuff and etc. The game was announced at October, it is safe then to say that the world come around to completion by September.

Compare it to Get Together. The Game was announced in August. By the time they announced it had appeared that they are much more advanced. They already finished a lot of neighborhoods for the same November release. The result? Windenburg is the biggest world in TS4.

They world was still a cavas by August, yet during Get Together Development, the World was already nearing in completion. While some may argue that Get Together used alot of assets from the leftovers of the base game (especially The Sims Olympus), San Myshuno also appears to be finished in world development by that time. City Living was announced in the First week of September. It is safe to say then by August, they are already polishing up the world.

I find it sad that the development has changed, instead we only get 3 neighborhoods per world.

To be fair, I would assume they were not getting the latest updates as soon as they were made. There may be a reasonable gap between when the team develops the world and when it was given to the game changers, as you'd want time for internal quality assurance testing and internal review from various management. I would assume everything was more advanced, just not given to the game changers immediately.

Just my two cents as a developer myself, I'd be surprised if it went straight from the development team to the game changers with no checks in place.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »

To be fair, I would assume they were not getting the latest updates as soon as they were made. There may be a reasonable gap between when the team develops the world and when it was given to the game changers, as you'd want time for internal quality assurance testing and internal review from various management. I would assume everything was more advanced, just not given to the game changers immediately.

Just my two cents as a developer myself, I'd be surprised if it went straight from the development team to the game changers with no checks in place.

If that is the case then Thank you for an Insight. I think maybe you are right. I forgot about that since they do need to make sure that the game was stable to send them out to the GC's
  • Options
    MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member

/quote]

Yes! This is for many cultures, not just Japan. Here in Sweden (and across the Nordics) you always take off your shoes when entering someone's house, schools, etc. Not to mention how nice it will be for my sims not to wreck their wooden floors in their heels/heavy boots!
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member

/quote]

Yes! This is for many cultures, not just Japan. Here in Sweden (and across the Nordics) you always take off your shoes when entering someone's house, schools, etc. Not to mention how nice it will be for my sims not to wreck their wooden floors in their heels/heavy boots!

In In Czech ans Slovakia too :d I thint that all world without USA take shoes off :D And we have separated toilet too. In new house not, but I dislike it. I thitk that is ok separated toilet and bath!