Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS: Is there ever a point where you Hate Everything You Built?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    Justine Keaton
    Not really. There’s this one house I built that is properly cute but it was out of the style I usually build in. And so I don’t play with it. *shrug* But I don’t hate it.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    What? No.
    After working on a build I just can’t bulldoze it when a frustrating annoyance pops up. Which for me is mainly stair placement. So I take a deep breath and work to find a solution that’s close to matching the goal I set.

Then let Townies move into it so my played sims don’t have to suffer living in the house.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    YES.
    Yes, mostly at the beginning of the building process I bulldoze everything several times and started all over again. I do have my problem with diagonal house shapes, I avoid them.
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    YES.
    Typically it will be an old build I go back to and realise there is a much better way of building it using new tricks I have learned or using new content. But because my builds tend to only ever be 64x64, deleting walls is a slow and painful process, so I just demolish and start fresh
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    YES.
    Especially on very large lots (like 50x50 and 64x64)... I almost never know what to build on them as it is, so I often feel like I'm dragging and forcing myself to build just to fill the lot. This leads my creations on these lots to often be rushed and exaggerated (like giant mansions with rooms so big that they look empty because I have no idea what to put in them or a giant park with ugly scattered trees, flowers, etc, just because I legit couldn't think of anything else to put there). In the end, most of my builds on these lots end up looking so horrible... sometimes I just keep them just so I can have the lot filled and move on, but I usually end up deleting them and creating something else. Usually my 2nd or 3rd builds are tolerable enough to keep in my game... but even then, the extremely large lots are often unbearable for me.

oh this is also big mood
    whenever i see people asking for bigger lots cause 64x64 is "too small" i just go :fearful:

i too would like to have super power of filling one of those lots up :persevere:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes!

Whenever I create something there comes a time when I look at it and think it is the worst thing I ever did. When I hit that particular wall (ha ha) I know to step back and leave it alone for a while, usually a day or two. When I come back I see it is not so bad after all, and usually can see how to improve it immediately.

I have scrapped builds, but usually because I am experimenting with an idea and trying to figure out what will work. Diagonal walls are a pain, and I've been using them a lot lately because I'm making builds for my Star Wars save. I've now decided that I've done enough builds like that and will be going back to more straight walls. One nice thing about diagonal builds is that they don't look like a box with windows. :D

I've been looking at how some simmers build on Youtube and I am amazed that they all do the exterior first - even the landscaping! I do the interior first, placing furniture and such, then building walls around. I guess this is why so many of my builds look boxy. I've looked at a few shell builds and just sit there, staring. I never have any idea what to do with those oddly shaped empty spaces. I love adding basements, at least there I don't have to feel guilty if the basement is a big box shape!

edited to show my vote, since it wasn't showing. It'll probably show later, lol
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    YES.
    I don’t build as much as I could but I usually quit a build if it gets to be too much.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    What? No.
    I don't rage-quit. I may plow it all down and start over, which I did a couple of times. I chose another's built from the Gallery, but sought to remodel it just a tad. It didn't work out at all, I'm sorry (but not sorry) to say. I plowed it down, thought about what it was I wanted in the build and then began anew. I have to say, I ended up editing it by trying to make the building shorter in length. Ultimately, I got just what I wanted. I don't quit. I think it's the writer in me.
    jogI0yI.jpg
    Back/Side
    Mrx6UWK.jpg
    Other side:
    OLRQEHu.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    YES.
    Isharell wrote: »

I've been looking at how some simmers build on Youtube and I am amazed that they all do the exterior first - even the landscaping! I do the interior first, placing furniture and such, then building walls around. I guess this is why so many of my builds look boxy. I've looked at a few shell builds and just sit there, staring. I never have any idea what to do with those oddly shaped empty spaces. I love adding basements, at least there I don't have to feel guilty if the basement is a big box shape!

used to do it interior first before but at some point i started doing exterior first cause i got tired of doing same box everytime and also because it forces me to come up with different layouts/interior themes i wouldn't have made otherwise

though im still really bad at landscaping and idk how people make it look nice cause im just too obsessed with symmetry and nature does not work that way
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    YES.
    Me renovating an apartment in San Myshuno: I'm going to make this apartment Christmas themed!
    Me an hour or two later: Actually this would look better if it was mid-century
    *Bulldozes and works on mid-century in same apartment*
    Me another hour or two later: Actually I think this apartment will look better if I made it industrial but I'll do that tomorrow
    *Closes game and repeats next day*

I'll do the same with residential and community lots as well. It's not that I don't like my builds, I just get almost done with the build and I always think a different theme/build style will look better. It's frustrating. If anyone has advice on how to break this habit let me know! Lol.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I can have this with many types of art. I find it's usually because I don't know what I want, so I end up obsessing over the details to the point of hating it. Having a conscious intent of what I'm going for can help, but sometimes I don't actually know what I want to do until I see it.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    What? No.
    Not usually, no. I've never hated anything I've built. I tend to take my time on things I build or bulldoze and start again if I can not undo the objects, wall papers, windows etc that I have added until I can get back to the shell to edit it. But, no I don't hate them.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    YES.
    I hate it every time I try to put a roof on my abomination of a home...
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    What? No.
    I worked very hard to build what I have built and I use it myself. And NO - I don't hate my own buildings. There is always room (No pun intended) for improvement, yes, but never hate.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.