Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS: Is there ever a point where you Hate Everything You Built?

I can get a couple hours into a large build and decide I hate the entire thing, usually when trying to build with diagonal walls. Sometimes I then delete the whole thing. Does this happen to you? Do you push through and try to finish a bad build, or do you ragequit?
4TJdLHA.png
Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports

BUILDERS: Is there ever a point where you Hate Everything You Built? 60 votes

YES.
55%
YunaColorist40Isb917DevSims91OmairaMindofyLustianiciataydevFlexono1FroilphantasmkissDragonAge_300905DaraviSweetieWright_84LoriTSpSindocatOnversercatmando830Bearpal64InuMiroLover 33 votes
What? No.
26%
crocobauraGalacticGalWrenryg01denswanfoxybillyAnnLee87CAPTAIN_NXR7BMSOKathykinsSERVERFRAAuroraskiesCaprianaBArcherDKNate_Whiplash1ConfutusRay_Trace 16 votes
Justine Keaton
18%
elanorbretonSelinaKylesfiercephoenix91QueenMercyFlapMDianaSimsRedShoe7simesmerizedizecsonRouensimsPriestessBizarre 11 votes

Comments

• OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    YES.
    I think I build just square homes, and with boring bathrooms, but the thing is..they are comfortable homes and practical, that's my problem. Practicality over looks.
  • ConfutusConfutus Posts: 113 Member
    What? No.
    I'm not always satisfied with it, but I don't hate it.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    What? No.
    My standards are not high, so as long as it's functional, I'm ok with it
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Justine Keaton
    I always liked my build eventhough I'm not good at one, so long they are pleasing the eye I'm OK.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    YES.
    This is true of most creative endeavors. It isn't a lasting state - I get past it - but there is definitely a degree of let-down where I can only see flaws, or where I fell short of my hopes.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Justine Keaton
    I keep working on my builds until I'm happy with them. Sometime I have to leave them for a bit and go back.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    What? No.
    I avoid diagonal walls like the plague. Its so difficult to place anything on or by it. I once did a shell challenge where practically ALL walls were diagonal. The amount of swearing was truly something. I did finish, but I'll never work on something like that again.

Anyway, I never hate anything I built, but there might be some things I'm not too happy about. I will often take breaks from it, work on another build, or just play the game...or just play a different game. And then come back to it eventually.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    edited October 2020
    What? No.
    I've never hated something I've built. If it's a large lot, it may take a few play sessions to finish a build and sometimes I may have a change of vision halfway through a build. I even have a couple of buildings I have started some months ago and haven't yet finished. I don't like diagonal walls and refuse to use them unless absolutely necessary.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    Justine Keaton
    Only sometimes. I look back on older builds and think 'did I really build that' :D:D

Some of my newer builds are pretty horrific too, but I do like some of them.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    What? No.
    No, I never hated it. Usually, I build things in a rush anyway, and I amp up the uglyness anyway by intentionally making mismatched tiles or everything pink. If I wanted to do serious construction, I'm gonna need a lot of reference images.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    What? No.
    I never hate what I create. I bulldoze if it wasn’t the right moment for a build to exist.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    YES.
    I usually hate my build style tbh. I have a bad habit of using too many light wood tones and I never like the end look
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    YES.
    It seems like all of my builds start out with me not liking them. Then as I add to them or adjust, I start to see their potential. I feel the same way about landscaping. When I try new things, I usually end up hating it, so now I just stick to my tried and true way of doing things. Sure, all of my landscaping may look the same but I like it. Plus it adds a cohesive feel to the neighborhood.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    YES.
    Yes all the time. I leave them and come back to them the next day or so. Usually gives me ideas on how to improve it or confirms that yes, it's awful and just delete it.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Justine Keaton
    I hated everything I built when I was first starting out. I love everything I build now with a mother's pride. <3
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    YES.
    When I go to put the roofs on - I want to just bulldoze it and sometimes I do.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    YES.
    Yep. If I hate the direction it's going, its going down. If its a box I hate, its going down. I will have finished builds that months later I will look at it and tear it down because I hate it. Just recently I tore down a finished Magic HQ (i built it about half a year ago) and rebuilt it entirely, as well as a half finished restaurant that I'm rebuilding. I also have a penthouse (from 2 years ago!!) thats on thin ice too.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member
    edited October 2020
    YES.
    sometimes i even am happy with build when im done and then one day later decide it sucks :neutral: it happens.

also there is times i can't build anything nice at all for weeks like i will just try to build a wall or 2 and then be like nononono. no.

hate when that happens
    Onverser wrote: »
    I usually hate my build style tbh. I have a bad habit of using too many light wood tones and I never like the end look

also this. i feel stuck in same build style though for me its the opposite where i keep making dark colored rooms or very patterned rooms cause i can't make myself use light swatches like white or light wood or pastels anywhere and i really can't make myself do completely modern builds either even if the situation really calls for it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    What? No.
    I work on the build until I get it right and looks like the idea I had in my head. Then I play the build to make sure everything functions and the layout is time efficient. The build has to flow so when I play I am not constantly rotating in live mode. I just finished a build that I started last night for my vampire save. I built it for my Bloom family to grow into. I never did the vampire family aspiration yet and it's Halloween season! I have completed every build I started. Sometimes I go on the gallery and look for unfinished houses and I complete them. It's like solving a problem to me. I just love building but I have to be in the mood or have an idea or plan first. I love live mode also. I build when I feel creative.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    Justine Keaton
    I occasionally bulldoze something I am building, but always really early on. Once I have the shell, I stick to it.
    As for my older builds, some could definitely do with improvements, but I don't remove them from the gallery. It's good to be able to see how much progress you've made. Every builder in the sims started out with simple boxes you know.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited October 2020
    YES.
    Especially on very large lots (like 50x50 and 64x64)... I almost never know what to build on them as it is, so I often feel like I'm dragging and forcing myself to build just to fill the lot. This leads my creations on these lots to often be rushed and exaggerated (like giant mansions with rooms so big that they look empty because I have no idea what to put in them or a giant park with ugly scattered trees, flowers, etc, just because I legit couldn't think of anything else to put there). In the end, most of my builds on these lots end up looking so horrible... sometimes I just keep them just so I can have the lot filled and move on, but I usually end up deleting them and creating something else. Usually my 2nd or 3rd builds are tolerable enough to keep in my game... but even then, the extremely large lots are often unbearable for me.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    What? No.
    Nay! I love how the build tools & objects in Sims 4 allows me to come up with almost any weird ideas. In Sims 3 I could barely managed to build a basic house.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    What? No.
    I build because I have an idea of a specific lot with functions and purpose already decided and planned to fit my sim universe. The placement of the lot is included in that, and that the build matches the world items and landscaping; and so I always start the build on the lot it is to be placed eventually, to have all the surroundings in front of me for inspiration.

If I am dissatisfied and stuck, not seeming to reach whatever image I had, I take a break. I build in dedicated build folders, to copy/paste the tray files into my playsave when it is done, and have lots of build folders, and many begun, not yet finished, builds. I plan to fill every lot in all the worlds with my builds ideas, made by me, and sometimes remakes of Maxis premades.

Sometimes I don’t have inspiration. I have downloaded a few lots from the gallery for those times, a lovely tree house and a quaint café for example. I choose builds without moo, cc and modify them for better routing, a very important aspect for me as I don’t play to watch sims traverse the houses back and forth.

Some of my earlier builds look very different to the later ones, but I work on all of them until I am satisfied with the result, which mostly is geared towards gameplay goals and function. Some builds make me really happy looking at, turning out so beautiful and special; some are acceptable. I don’t upload the builds made for my own game, partly because they mean too much for me to be compared and commented by others which would in a way deprive them of my unreserved appreciation.

But hate is a very strong word and a feeling reserved for people who treat me wrong; not for a build in a game played for entertainment.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Often there comes a point where, after building a bunch of stuff, I start to feel like I need to step it up and try something more ambitious, or at least “different”. That’s usually when I run up against the constraints of the building tools and it can be frustrating.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Justine Keaton
    Sometimes I just bulldoze the lot when I get too annoyed with something.