Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HQ or NOT HQ ???

So my new computer is (bada$$) and can now definitely handle HQ settings and stuff. I know most mods being released are now HQ compatible which is helpful. I'm facing the potential need to arduously remove all my current 1200+ mods and find all newer ones that are only HQ compatible.

My research found that a non-HQ mod will cause your sim to be all black and that mod needs to be updated, replaced, or converted. I get that.

MY question is: do mods of items NOT worn on a Sim (e.g. a chair, art piece, wallpaper) also have to be converted? Or only CAS stuff?

Comments

• Frostrazor1334Frostrazor1334 Posts: 41 Member
    Only CAS. There are HQ overrides for terrains, etc. though. FYI > http://modthesims.info/d/620563/hq-texture-converter-version-2-3-12-16-2018.html

Thank you for the response. I apologize if I sound obtuse here but just wanting to make sure I understand:

Your response indicted there is a HQ overrides for terrains, and then provided a link - which if I understand correctly that app only works on CAS items (not for objects, terrains). So i was just making sure if you a) meant to provide a different link - one for non-CAS, or b) posted as intended and just providing assistance with CAS.

Thanks.
    (I struggle with understanding apps and computer programs)
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Only CAS. There are HQ overrides for terrains, etc. though. FYI > http://modthesims.info/d/620563/hq-texture-converter-version-2-3-12-16-2018.html

Thank you for the response. I apologize if I sound obtuse here but just wanting to make sure I understand:

Your response indicted there is a HQ overrides for terrains, and then provided a link - which if I understand correctly that app only works on CAS items (not for objects, terrains). So i was just making sure if you a) meant to provide a different link - one for non-CAS, or b) posted as intended and just providing assistance with CAS.

Thanks.
    Lol, it's fine. Yes, I posted as intended: responded to your question and then gave the link to a program to help you with converting the CAS CC so you didn't have to trash it all. It's a fairly simple program, and there are instructions on the page that explain the layout.

Thanks.
    Lol, it's fine. Yes, I posted as intended: responded to your question and then gave the link to a program to help you with converting the CAS CC so you didn't have to trash it all. It's a fairly simple program, and there are instructions on the page that explain the layout.

So essentially, by using this program you provided a link for - it "upgrades" existing mods to that of a HQ capacity?

So - what happens if it's used on a mod that is already HQ? I don't know which ones are or are not HQ compatible already.

• Sigma1202Sigma1202 Posts: 40 Member

Thanks.

So essentially, by using this program you provided a link for - it "upgrades" existing mods to that of a HQ capacity?

So - what happens if it's used on a mod that is already HQ? I don't know which ones are or are not HQ compatible already.

The program will automatically skip the cc that is already HQ
    Sigma1202 wrote: »

Thanks.

The program will automatically skip the cc that is already HQ

AWESOME! Thank you so much for that response. Very helpful and much appreciated.
    Another questions - i know that switching std to HQ is a huge file upsize and likely see increased loading times etc.

I will thus deduce (correct me if I'm wrong) that upscaling existing mods to HQ will drastically increase their file size?

I guess what i'm wondering - lets say I have a healthy size mod folder of 1500 mods (mostly small stuff - nails, hair, make-up, clothing items, skins, shoes, jewelry, etc). Then I go and upscale them all - are we talking HUGE draw/drain on the system now.

In other words should I be looking at drastically downsizing the number of mods? Will the existence of 1500 mods be unfeasible?

I'm really concerned about a) breaking the to unplayable level, b) having to remove so many mods that make it seem as though its not worth it and should have just kept it the way it was. I wasn't unhappy or anything - just really wanted to stretch out a bit.

Thanks for any anecdotal comments, testimonials, support or advice. :smiley:
  • RobvERobvE Posts: 9 New Member
    [quote="MizoreYukii;c-17490412"]Only CAS. There are HQ overrides for terrains, etc. though.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the best terrain texture mod seems to be offline. The website of K-Hippe/Tech-Hippie is no longer reachable. Tried to redownload his K505, K707 etc mods. Nu luck and no other way to find them. They were awesome!
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    RobvE wrote: »
    Only CAS. There are HQ overrides for terrains, etc. though.

Unfortunately, the best terrain texture mod seems to be offline. The website of K-Hippe/Tech-Hippie is no longer reachable. Tried to redownload his K505, K707 etc mods. Nu luck and no other way to find them. They were awesome!

Did you try this website?
    https://tech-hippie.com/sims4-faktory/?s=terrains