Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you get banned from buying games from CdKeys

I’ve just saw a tweet that says if you purchase through CDkEys you may get banned..

As far as I was aware, it was perfectly safe to buy through them as they are legit. Am I missing something?

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited October 2020
    shanls96 wrote: »
    I’ve just saw a tweet that says if you purchase through CDkEys you may get banned..

As far as I was aware, it was perfectly safe to buy through them as they are legit. Am I missing something?

They are not legit legit. They are a 3rd party. Not one allowed by EA. That said how they get their codes is not clear if legal or illegal. Some have said they’re account got banned for buying codes, but others buy and haven’t gotten banned. So there’s a chance you can get banned.
  • shanls96shanls96 Posts: 321 Member
    Oh wow.. I never knew this I really had no idea
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2020
    Correct, those sites don't often reveal where they get their keys from so there is a chance that they could have gotten them from people with fraudulent credit cards like for example someone buys a bunch of keys, gets the keys, then the money never goes through, EA gets nothing, and the keys then gets sold to those sites.

So the sites themselves may, or may not be illegal but it's possible that the people that they get their keys from are. And if this happens then those cdkeys will be flagged and often can't be used and if you purchased one you could get banned, it depends on what the publisher wants to do... From what I heard they are losing a lot of money on stolen keys (if you assume that the people who bought them would have bought them legally).

Other sites also purchase keys from other countries cheaper, which is also a grey area of what is allowed and not allowed because of trade laws.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    From what I understand, CDkeys is the safest of the lot but you need to be careful with other sites. I think G2A for example operates like Amazon so anyone can put codes on there, sellers with lower rankings there's a high chance of dodgy codes but sellers with 99%+ are usually genuine.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

Can you link the tweet?
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

But, "in jeopardy" could mean something other than 'get you banned'. Maybe someone should ask the powers that be in EA directly.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited October 2020
    Now I’m confused.

One of the comments specifically states that someone from EA said that CD Keys is okay to use.

50533182023_14c8f572c9_b.jpg

Also this one:

CatBrat_Sims
    @CatBrat_Sims.
    4h
    I literally only bought from CDKeys because I saw a post from a sim guru saying it’s okay to buy from them

However, this information seems to contradict this:
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/where-to-buy-ea-games-v2/

CD Keys is not an authorized reseller.

At worst, though, banning appears unlikely. If stolen, EA states:
    Additionally, any illegally obtained games and Product Codes will be disabled by us, and access to the product will be lost.

But, as SimplyJen mentions, accounts can be banned for violating Terms of Service, including unlawful behavior.
    Post edited by Rouensims on
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    hmm, I’m torn like I understand there’s evidence that a guru has stated it’s fine to use cdkeys..

yet some of the comments kinda have me 50/50 towards what is actually allowed
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2020
    hmm, I’m torn like I understand there’s evidence that a guru has stated it’s fine to use cdkeys..

Have people confirmed that they have actually gotten banned? What most publishers do with stolen keys are that they treat them as stolen (which means that they can't resell them) and then they often work anyway unless the publisher decides to revoke those keys so you lose whatever you bought and they may ban the user as well but I'm not sure, that sounds pretty harsh.

I guess you have to check around and see if enough people trust CDKeys.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2020
    CDKeys is an unauthorized seller. It doesn't have the worst reputation out of all of em' but it's still not authorized so the risk is still there. This is a list of some trusted authorized retailers from the EA help page (besides buying straight from Origin):
    Worldwide

Epic Games
    Humble Bundle
    Ubisoft
    Valve/Steam
    Asia

Amazon Japan
    Europe

Amazon France
    Amazon Germany
    Amazon Italy
    Amazon Spain
    Amazon UK
    Game UK
    GameStop EU
    North America

Amazon
    Best Buy
    GameStop
    Target
    Walmart
    Note: Make sure you are buying from Electronic Arts as some of those sites listed also host third-party sellers on their websites alongside official sellers.

It's common on sites like CDKeys & G2A someone buys a bunch of keys in bulk with a stolen credit card and then sells those keys to the site. Eventually (even years later) a chargeback can happen which means EA can and will swoop in to void those codes. The account they are added to can become locked for violating TOS. So when you use these unauthorized sellers, be aware this can happen at any time and you are risking your account. These codes won't be voided immediately if they are fraudulent but it's also possible they are 100% legit... there's no way to tell. Just as an example, this happened to quite a few Sims 3 users a couple of years ago. Most of them purchased from eBay, G2A, but there were a few who used CDKeys.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

People have been debating this for literal years and I still don't know the real truth 😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited October 2020
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    CDKeys is an unauthorized seller. It doesn't have the worst reputation out of all of em' but it's still not authorized so the risk is still there. This is a list of some trusted authorized retailers from the EA help page (besides buying straight from Origin):
    Worldwide

Epic Games
    Humble Bundle
    Ubisoft
    Valve/Steam
    Asia

Amazon Japan
    Europe

Amazon France
    Amazon Germany
    Amazon Italy
    Amazon Spain
    Amazon UK
    Game UK
    GameStop EU
    North America

Amazon
    Best Buy
    GameStop
    Target
    Walmart
    Note: Make sure you are buying from Electronic Arts as some of those sites listed also host third-party sellers on their websites alongside official sellers.

It's common on sites like CDKeys & G2A someone buys a bunch of keys in bulk with a stolen credit card and then sells those keys to the site. Eventually (even years later) a chargeback can happen which means EA can and will swoop in to void those codes. The account they are added to can become locked for violating TOS. So when you use these unauthorized sellers, be aware this can happen at any time and you are risking your account. These codes won't be voided immediately if they are fraudulent but it's also possible they are 100% legit... there's no way to tell. Just as an example, this happened to quite a few Sims 3 users a couple of years ago. Most of them purchased from eBay, G2A, but there were a few who used CDKeys.

Like I said before: Maybe someone should ask the powers that be in EA directly about CDKeys.

How do we get an answer from someone in EA on whether we can or cannot buy keys from CDKeys. I may have to replace a lot of the packs and it would cost less to use CDKeys.

Would an admin here be able to get us a definitive answer? How do we get one of the admins to see we are asking about this?
    Yeah it would be good if an admin could see this and give a concrete answer, though I’m not sure on how to have them see this..
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Bottom line is EA gets more money if you purchase directly from them.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Never had an issue with buying from them and as long as they are knocking a good percentage off the Origin prices, I will continue to use them. If they were a scam, I'm sure they would have been taken down already. Also all of their social media profiles are verified, so I'm pretty sure they're legit.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    @EA_Leeloo Do you have any input?
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    To be honest I think for the extra few quid it's better to purchase from Origin directly as at least I/you have some comeback if anything goes wrong as it's already been purchased from my/our Origin account. Having said that I know many simmer have purchased from CD Keys and everything has been fine so..
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    With some sites, not all, there is a high number of sellers commiting credit card theft or origin account theft and this is why their prices are so low.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    To be honest I think for the extra few quid it's better to purchase from Origin directly as at least I/you have some comeback if anything goes wrong as it's already been purchased from my/our Origin account. Having said that I know many simmer have purchased from CD Keys and everything has been fine so..

I have to replace almost all of my TS3 packs, etc. due to a very stupid husband.
    Hi @catmando830

What do you mean? digital packs or disc packs for S3? I have both and currently can only play my disc version of the game due to issues with the digital game version but if you have paid out once for either version you should not need to pay for it again?
    Hi @catmando830

What do you mean? digital packs or disc packs for S3? I have both and currently can only play my disc version of the game due to issues with the digital game version but if you have paid out once for either version you should not need to pay for it again?

I have / or had all the disks, and they are not all registered, and my husband threw them out instead of packing them when we moved, so I do not have any of the codes from the packages, so I am out of luck, and do have to purchase them all over again.
    @catmando830

Oh heck i would be extremely annoyed as well that's quite an expense. I bought most of S3 on digital then when I realised they were taking the game from being able to play offline so I purchased a pre 2012 base game disc and bought the rest of the discs I had not already bought little by little so now I have the full set again and can play offline but it still cost me almost the price of 2 separate series so i feel your pain..
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    Sounds like EA wants the monopoly through Origin. Can't blame them when money is involved.

Although I rarely find EA games elsewhere for much cheaper? I have more luck with Steam games.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Hi @catmando830

I have / or had all the disks, and they are not all registered, and my husband threw them out instead of packing them when we moved, so I do not have any of the codes from the packages, so I am out of luck, and do have to purchase them all over again.

Oh that hurts me like a punch to the stomach just hearing that! My condolences.... :'(