Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy clutter?

Comments

• Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Yes; it makes building and live mode better.
    I'm down for clutter until it's all over the floors
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited October 2020
    I like clutter. But not too much clutter. I am a minimalist IRL and clutter makes me kind of anxious. So in sims I like to see that somebody actually lives in the house, but I also like houses to be playable - smooth. I build small houses and I don't use MOO so I don't think I can ever go overboard with clutter. Less is more. I hope it makes sense.

And that's the reason I don't watch speedbuilds anymore. The amount of clutter in those build is ridicoulous.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I like clutter, it helps to give personality to a room and gives that lived in feeling, but I don't go overboard with it. I build to play in my lots, not to take pictures, and many times I decorate with stuff sims acquired in game.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Yes; it makes live mode better.
    I don't build but I love selecting just the right clutter for the houses I download. It makes the house feel lived in.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yes; it makes live mode better.
    I enjoy it simply because it makes a lot fill more "lived in" and authentic. Looks like less of a model house on the show room floor, and more "a family has obviously been living here for awhile". I honestly wouldnt mind more clutter.

However, I understand that you cant be going ridiculously overboard with it. Like yeah its great you found an interesting combo with your clutter and furniture, but now my sims cant sleep in the beds or go to the shower. What's the point of it then?
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I love clutter, but I didn't realize it can cause game lag and problems. Oh dear. :/
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited October 2020
    I love clutter, but only my own! I loved the lived-in feel but I stink at building so I'd play-test homes I find in the gallery. So many builders overdo it made me slightly claustrophobic sometimes.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No; it makes building and live mode worse.
    Isharell wrote: »
    I love clutter, but I didn't realize it can cause game lag and problems. Oh dear. :/
    Yeah that is why I try to upload builds with not too much clutter because of that causing issues for other people.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    For both better performance and cheaper bills, my sims' houses are minimalist affairs.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    My problem with clutter is that so many builds on the gallery are unusable because of it.
    either because too much, so it's a "starter home" with so much clutter it pushes the cost over 20k, or because the builder uses way too much MOO and resize and don't playtest, so you have plants and shelves blocking doors, counters and washers for example.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I have no idea what that is, so I guess not?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Stutum wrote: »

Decorative stuff. Lots of it. :smile:
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Stutum wrote: »

Decorative stuff. Lots of it. :smile:

I see. I suppose I'll check it out. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes; it makes building better.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited October 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    Isharell wrote: »
    Yeah that is why I try to upload builds with not too much clutter because of that causing issues for other people.

I'll have to keep that in mind now that I've started uploading my builds. But I don't use MOO so that should help. And I always playtest.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    Yes, I love clutter items, but I rarely use moo. When I download a house I usually prefer it with out too much moo clutter. I do love to use different pieces on dressers, counters and tables, and as I play with a large rotation, it helps the houses look different and gives more realism. I say bring on more clutter in packs, but builders, please don’t over use it for your uploads. I like to be able to change a house around without having to go into moo.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I use some, but I don't go crazy with it, don't like clutter in real life.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I can't live without clutter in my Sims builds. Houses with very little or no clutter are just so.... blah. :p

It doesn't matter as much to me whether it's all useable or not, it just... makes the house look so much better and more enjoyable to play in for me.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited October 2020
    I do still try to make sure things are functional though. I like just enough to enhance the builds.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Nope!
  • Options
    theonlytara42theonlytara42 Posts: 22 Member
    I can take it or leave it, but we probably have too much.
    As a builder I see BOTH sides, on one hand it DOES make it look more realistic in terms of if you're trying to "Theme" the room/house/build. Yet I also playtest MOST all my builds and end up removing clutter since it makes things unplayable or the sim can't interact with an adjacent object, and although I tend not to care much about the # of actual downloads I get off a share, I DO share for the purpose of those whom want a nice home/specialty lot and aren't wanting to spend any time "fixing" the build or changing it just to play. So, therefore I try to take into consideration those whom are just looking for a nice place to use without any time wasted with building and also, what am I trying to achieve with the build/challenge etc. Do I want total realism or playability. Players should take this into consideration as they download as well, are the builders trying to achieve aesthetics or actual playability with their creations?
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I can take it or leave it, but we probably have too much.
    The odd few bits in a build is fine. I despise lots with way too much clutter. I think the decorations tab has too much and at times is really hard to find what I want. Especially the kitchen stuff as I can never remember which packs items are from.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    The thing is I loathe it iRL too. I am a clean desk person both physically and digitally; I cringe when I see people with icons on their desktop because I can't stand it, and apart from what is neccesary (a lamp, a keyboard, a screen and my external HDD) my desk is always empty-ish IRL too.

Many people think Clutter is cozy, I don't*. Many many times the first time I do downloading a build is to delete 65-75% of clutter. I DON'T consider having books on every table "realistic" nor having a box of cleenex on every table or whatever. Books are in bookshelves. That's why they are there. Keep the cleenex in the bathroom or in a drawer of your night stand if you're not actually
    having a cold. And so on.

* With the exception of a number of plants (not TOO many tho) and of course dog toys. Dog toys everywhere, but they are my babies!
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I can take it or leave it, but we have a good amount.
    The first thing I do when I get a build from the gallery is declutter it. Some go way overboard with clutter making functional objects unusable with routing issues etc. Can't even get in the front door is bad.

I do feel like some clutter that already exists in the game could be made functional, by the gurus, for shelves without using cheats. This way counters, tables, vanities etc. would not need so much clutter.

IMO ... Clutter items used for outside build aesthetics needs to go if it does not drop with the walls. Just because it looks good on the gallery does not mean it's functional for game play.

I do use clutter in my builds but I do not cheat placement.

IMO ... The game has enough clutter unless builders stop misusing it in family homes. I understand some builders use it to replace things we don't have to make creative and interesting builds and that is awesome. These build aesthetics are welcome in special builds but not in a family home.