Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

2020 has been one of the best years for Free Content! (Positivity Thread)

Comments

• alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    it was pretty good year for updates. but i agree that toddler update was the best one. my sims dont stay in the hot tubs much. i send them to go in them they leave right away. but thats been going on since the hot tubs from the stuff pack came out.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Where do you find ladders?

If you go to Stairs in BB, there's an option to switch to ladders :)
    funny-gifs20.gif

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t consider paid content that was later made free to be free content. Just like I don’t consider TS4 to be a free game just because many people got it for free. I paid for the base game, the repo men and the hot tub. It‘s paid content to me.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2020
    Lol bills are still broken
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Todlers and pools were the best for me, I wish the stuff they implemented worked the way we wanted it to, part of it is that these things should of been in the base game but another part is they just don’t always work.

I have plenty to look forward to in life but I feel drained. I SHOULD look forward to FREE content for my game but when it’s stuff that should of been in the game since the beginning I just feel drained, I know I shouldn’t feel that way but I do.

Apart of me wishes EA and Maxis could take a break to play all the games again, before they played sims 4 I feel like if they got to play Sims 4 after playing the other games they would know what was missing and truly know the game is lacking as well as what is wrong with it.

Maybe they would hire coders and mod creators who make mods for the game to work and mods to make the game fun have them come together with content creators who specialize in making skin look pretty in every shade, and giving us extra features we actually use, if they all came together and had the Maxis and EA resources. We might have a game we can play and enjoy, a game with less bugs, better skin and clothes, features it needs, new people like and maybe life would bring life into the game.

That said there are features I’ve heard about but haven’t used because I’m not that kind of player but for those already happy. I envy you all.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2020
    DevSims91 wrote: »
    Todlers and pools were the best for me, I wish the stuff they implemented worked the way we wanted it to, part of it is that these things should of been in the base game but another part is they just don’t always work.

I have plenty to look forward to in life but I feel drained. I SHOULD look forward to FREE content for my game but when it’s stuff that should of been in the game since the beginning I just feel drained, I know I shouldn’t feel that way but I do.

Apart of me wishes EA and Maxis could take a break to play all the games again, before they played sims 4 I feel like if they got to play Sims 4 after playing the other games they would know what was missing and truly know the game is lacking as well as what is wrong with it.

Maybe they would hire coders and mod creators who make mods for the game to work and mods to make the game fun have them come together with content creators who specialize in making skin look pretty in every shade, and giving us extra features we actually use, if they all came together and had the Maxis and EA resources. We might have a game we can play and enjoy, a game with less bugs, better skin and clothes, features it needs, new people like and maybe life would bring life into the game.

That said there are features I’ve heard about but haven’t used because I’m not that kind of player but for those already happy. I envy you all.

I agree on a lot of what you've said. However, the team already knows that TS4 lacks the depth and features that other games shipped with. They put a happy face on it because, well, what else can they do? But they already know. A lot of them are the same people who worked on the older games. They're intimately aware of the limitations of each, I think.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Lol bills are still broken

So is this whole game
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Toddler year was my favorite and when we got a patch for the Sims anniversary with different content from all the Sims games. Being a pyro Simmer, I haven't minded this year too. Right before firefighters came, I was talking to one of the Gurus about having my Sims romance the firefighters, so was very impressed how they didn't reveal they were coming within a couple weeks. This year has been my favorite with pack releases since the packs have consequences with them. First year I have been a playtester too, so that has been fun getting more involved with the bug hunting. I think this has been my favorite year seeing more of the Gurus involved with the community in different ways whether it is playing Donkey Kong or sharing their cute puppy experience or doing crosswords. For awhile felt like SimGuruSteve was the only one involved with the community doing the live streams, so nice to see others branch out with streaming too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Meh seems like lots of small things that they’re trying to throw in to distract us. I wish they’d focus on 1-2 really big things each year (plus bug fixes of course). Then in each pack, they could also add a thing or two that are related to the big free add, in order to make packs feel more cohesive and less standalone. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited October 2020
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.
    In a world of capitalism we get nothing for free.
    When it comes to TS4 Basegame this is the way EA/Maxis has treated its customers: Pay us first, then tell us what you want. We may or may not include it in the game at a later stage.

As simmers we’ve learned not to take the so called ‘free updates’ for granted since a company would want their customers to feel they’re getting a nice treat. But the company knows it still owes us. It owes us a lot more than we currently have.

It’s good that we keep getting updates. It’s necessary. I always say better late than never.
    Some features that came with updates definitely need re-tuning, others are fine the way they are.
    But we deserve them, only because we already paid for them.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    The toddler patch was the one that was the one that made me switch to sims 4. In my eyes it is the best free content that was added. But I have to say the free content for year is very good, once the promised skin tones come. I like a lot of the updates like off the grid, the door placement and the ladders. But this year also had the worst update ever. I still feel ripped of by the hot tub update because perfect patio is now pointless. All in all a good year for free content but not the best.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited October 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    calaprfy wrote: »
    The hot tub would be a nice addition if sims actually used them.

Honestly the hot tub being free made me glad I never bought it. What do they even do? I tell my sim to get in it so they sit there for five seconds before getting out to get a glass of water. They never stay in it or do anything in it. They can woohoo in it I guess but that's the only interesting feature

My teens are in a club, and they love the hot tub. Well, the original hot tub that is, of course I have the ones I’m playing conversing.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The Sims 4 in 2020 is meh at best.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Build mode has been nearly perfected with the additions to it this year. And now CAS is getting a substantial overhaul to its skin tones. Lets put this same energy into live mode eh?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    These are not free updates. Back in 2014 we already paid for those. Like a non-refundable deposit.
    We spent money on all the updates that are yet to come. We pay for them every time we buy DLC.

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Where do you find ladders?

Click on stairs, it's the second option.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    The firemen are just the Sulani neighbors in uniform its nothing special. The hot tub with the roof could already be made they should've gave us the heart shaped hot tub instead.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member

Disagree. We paid for the base game as it was then, nothing more nothing less. It's not a subscription service that we pay monthly to get base game updates. Any content they add at no extra cost is free updates.

I'd say patches for bug fixes are part of the package of buying the game, but free updates are just a nice little extra thing. Not to be cliche but they could've just not given us any free content at all and charged for everything. The game we bought didn't have toddlers or pools, we didn't pay for them when we bought the game but now we have them so it was a free improvement.

Toddlers and pools should have been in base game, as they have always been. This is TS4, not TS1, not even TS2. There is a reasonable expectation that some things are included by default in the game, especially if they are popular features. I am really happy with the windows and doors free placement update and it is indeed un improvement to the game.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020

"While we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won't be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we're building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come," Vaughan said.
    (Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage)

“I’d really just say look at what we’ve done in the past. We’ve had a variety of different ways we’ve delivered content to players, and I think we’ll continue to support what they’re looking for” Graham
    (Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcinvasion.com/maxis-explains-why-the-sims-4-has-no-swimming-pools/amp/)

It was not a free improvement. It was expected. We basically pay for all these “free updates”. When we bought the game they made promises that we would see things the community has been asking for as long as we supported the game. This game is as stale as bread because of a lot of missing features. Skin tones should of been in the game from the start. Are we suppose to be grateful that 6 years later we are getting it for a free update? We wouldn’t have gotten it if it wasn’t for BLM or youtubers expressing their disappointment on Spark & simmers spamming The Sims IG & twitter. Skin tones variations is expected in a life simulator game, especially with the sims. As you get older you’ll realize nothing is free in this world .
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Justin wrote: »

It was not a free improvement. It was expected. We basically pay for all these “free updates”. When we bought the game they made promises that we would see things the community has been asking for as long as we supported the game. This game is as stale as bread because of a lot of missing features. Skin tones should of been in the game from the start. Are we suppose to be grateful that 6 years later we are getting it for a free update? We wouldn’t have gotten it if it wasn’t for BLM or youtubers expressing their disappointment on Spark & simmers spamming The Sims IG & twitter. Skin tones variations is expected in a life simulator game, especially with the sims. As you get older you’ll realize nothing is free in this world .

Well ok. You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. I won't argue on this one as I can see there won't be any mutual agreement and it'll just turn into a long and exhausting spree of bickering
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Justin wrote: »

"While we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won't be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we're building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come," Vaughan said.
    (Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage)

“I’d really just say look at what we’ve done in the past. We’ve had a variety of different ways we’ve delivered content to players, and I think we’ll continue to support what they’re looking for” Graham
    (Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcinvasion.com/maxis-explains-why-the-sims-4-has-no-swimming-pools/amp/)

Been interesting looking back on past surveys.https://sims-online.com/toddlers-cars-seasons-ea-survey-august-2015/

True about toddlers and cars being designed for the base game here:
    https://thesims4blogger.com/post/62013845250/the-sims-4-simifieds-qa-with-simgurugrant
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    The Sims 4 in 2020 is meh at best.

It's really been terrible. I was trying to think why I'm bored of the Sims 4 now when I was enjoying not to long ago and I realized it's because none of the new packs ever really offer any new game play. They add a few new items that add new interactions and that's it. It get's old fast and then you're just stuck with the same old game play that you've had all along in the game.

Nothing ever changes when it comes to the core game play.

I played the Sims 2 for it's whole course when it was the current game and never got bored of it. I'm playing the Sims 3 now and the base game alone is more fun than the Sims 4 with all it's packs. I played the Sims 4 for maybe a year and a half and I'm bored of it and the new packs never really bring anything to the game that makes it more fun or interesting to play. It's a shame really cause the game is visually beautiful. I wish I could enjoy it more just because I love how the sims look but I just don't.
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    I like the cheat where we gained lots of items in build/ buy. It added more depth and suspense in my creations and playing the game. Unfortunately I have had to go back to Sims3 as the laptop my Sims4 is on has stopped working. I hope to get it fixed, else it will be another laptop with lots of ram and good graphics.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2020
    We had some nice updates this year. The inventory update was probably my favorite, the ladders and the window and door update was nice too, the subtle saucer light and the off-the grid update.

I did not care that much about firemen or the free hot tub because it's just...too late. We had the hot tub back in 2015, firemen should have been added a long time ago. The revamped bill system does not work properly either so I can't give them credit for that.

I am looking forward to the skin tone update though.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I really feel bad about raining on peoples' fun and positivity. But I'm also a bitter and petty row of censor-flowers, so I'm gonna say that the content was more about quantity than quality. We got a lot of stuff, but most of it wasn't very impressive and came about because they had the groundwork from other years.
    [*] The super subtle saucer light is really great for building. They saw how popular the regular one was sized down so they added an even smaller one! I really like that and I use it in basically every build.
    Just a downscaled, cheaper version of an already-existing light. It's great for builders (especially Game Changers making budget challenge videos) and it helps people have nice homes when they're struggling. But it's nothing really special, interesting or unique, imo.
    [*] Free placement of windows and doors is a big gamechanger and I think? Sims 4 is the first in the franchise to have it.
    [*] The ability to stack windows and doors
    These are pretty cool, ngl.
    [*] Ladders being added to the game for free
    Also pretty cool. They should have added ladders with Island Living - we had them in the game already, just in a more limited capacity. And we had modded ladders since at least last year. But better late than never.
    [*] Both firemen and repomen being added to the game for free
    Firemen (Sulani neighbors) and repomen were already in the game last year, via EPs. They just delayed adding them until now. Even then, firefighters are meh, and they should have been in the game from the beginning.
    [*] The biggest overhaul of skintones they've ever done
    [*] Sliders for skin tones and makeup
    [*] Improvements to base game hairs
    Wonderful, just what we needed. Though it's dampened by the fact that they likely wouldn't have done these if they weren't forced by the community, Game Changers, and societal pressures after years of ignoring the problem.
    [*] Big improvements to off the grid living
    [*] A revamped bills system
    Off-the-Grid living wasn't improved that much, imo. Aside from a few things being marked as OTG when they should have been, we gained the ability to be self-sufficient - except you can only save money on water (in tiny amounts), and we have no way of generating our own energy without Eco Lifestyle. Without EL, Off-the-Grid living is still barebones and the changes don't make much of a difference.
    [*] The hot tub being made available for all players
    Ugly hot tub that's just a reskin of an older tub from 2015, but with a non-removable roof on it. Made at the last minute because they forgot about the anniversary. I'd argue it should have been in the basegame too, given how Sims 1 and 2 had basegame hot tubs.

We also got the inventory update. I don't use it since big inventories can mess up your game, but I'm sure other people found it very helpful. It's pretty swaggy.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017