Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New EA/Origin Desktop App.

Comments

• charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I thought about trying the beta, but was worried about my Sims 3 files. I'm not currently playing Sims 4 and will be frustrated if I lose the progress I'm making so far. I plan to wait it out until I can't no more.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    When i first downloaded the Beta it wanted me to download 4 again which is why I asked you about that one. Then I opened the client up again and 4 was available to play. But 3 needs to be downloaded according to origin. Hopefully it will fix itself in a day or so. I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

I just tried 3 for you and it didn't work for me either.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    When i first downloaded the Beta it wanted me to download 4 again which is why I asked you about that one. Then I opened the client up again and 4 was available to play. But 3 needs to be downloaded according to origin. Hopefully it will fix itself in a day or so. I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Thank you for checking for me. I will leave 3 alone thru Beta until they fix it then. I can still play through Origin anyways.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion

Thank you for checking for me. I will leave 3 alone thru Beta until they fix it then. I can still play through Origin anyways.

yw :) tbh, usually unless I'm buying a pack I don't go through either anyways cuz Origin is super slow to me haha. I pin the game itself to my desktop and just open it from there
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Do you installed the sims 3 on different location other than Origin's default install location?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hopefully it'll fix the internet issues with the program. It's very annoying how my Origin goes offline every five minutes even though my connection is fine
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I'm not going to get into the beta until it has had at least one big update to fix all the issues it current faces at this time. I've known about EA Desktop for a little over a week now when someone mentioned it on the steam TS4 forum.

Current issues with the Beta at this time:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Known-Issues-EA-Desktop-Beta/td-p/9496448
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2020
    I ended up uninstalling Origin because it updated Sims 3 to 1.69 even though I had it set to not update games (fortunately, I still have the 1.67 superpatch and my basegame install file from Amazon so was able to uninstall/reinstall/repatch the base game). But what I really didn't like was I had not installed Sims 3 through Origin; it scanned my hard drive with no prompting and added it to my Origin game library screen. I'm hoping the desktop app is far less intrusive. I honestly don't want to have a background program I have to uninstall/reinstall whenever I want to play certain games.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2020
    For those that have decided to give the beta a go, please give your feedback here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Feedback/bd-p/ea-desktop-feedback-en and bugs here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports-Technical-Issues/bd-p/ea-desktop-bug-reports-en

Currently downloading Sims 3 to see if it works for me (downloading not a problem so far but it only gave me the option to install HELS and no other packs

EDIT: Looks like EA Desktop doesn't recognize Sims 3 yet. Only the EA Play Pro version.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I ended up uninstalling Origin because it updated Sims 3 to 1.69 even though I had it set to not update games (fortunately, I still have the 1.67 superpatch and my basegame install file from Amazon so was able to uninstall/reinstall/repatch the base game). But what I really didn't like was I had not installed Sims 3 through Origin; it scanned my hard drive with no prompting and added it to my Origin game library screen. I'm hoping the desktop app is far less intrusive.

That's what I'm afraid of, I don't have to use Origin to play TS3 and refuse the 1.69 update but fear this will be automatic if I try it out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I ended up uninstalling Origin because it updated Sims 3 to 1.69 even though I had it set to not update games (fortunately, I still have the 1.67 superpatch and my basegame install file from Amazon so was able to uninstall/reinstall/repatch the base game). But what I really didn't like was I had not installed Sims 3 through Origin; it scanned my hard drive with no prompting and added it to my Origin game library screen. I'm hoping the desktop app is far less intrusive.

That's what I'm afraid of, I don't have to use Origin to play TS3 and refuse the 1.69 update but fear this will be automatic if I try it out.

What's wrong with the 1.69 update?
    edited September 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

Most who play TS3 don't want anything to do with Origin. 1.69 ties the TS3 to Origin, therefore they have to sign into Origin to play TS3, like you do with TS4. Those of us who play TS2 and TS3 don't want to sign into Origin for any reasons at all. If you go through Origin to play TS2UC (though we downloaded it from Origin as free) they now have tied it to Origin, too, if you let the game update. We don't log into anything to play these two games though we could download them from Origin before. TS2's update doesn't have a specific patch, it's a sneak update. But TS3's update is called patch 1.69
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2020
    To add what Cinebar said though, depending on when you bought Sims 3 Base, you might not have a choice to have Origin anyways though. If you after 2012 I believe it was, you'd still need Origin anyways and you can update to 1.69.

Also you need the disc version for everything to not use Origin.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

Most who play TS3 don't want anything to do with Origin. 1.69 ties the TS3 to Origin, therefore they have to sign into Origin to play TS3, like you do with TS4. Those of us who play TS2 and TS3 don't want to sign into Origin for any reasons at all. If you go through Origin to play TS2UC (though we downloaded it from Origin as free) they now have tied it to Origin, too, if you let the game update. We don't log into anything to play these two games though we could download them from Origin before. TS2's update doesn't have a specific patch, it's a sneak update. But TS3's update is called patch 1.69

Oh, I see. I don't really mind Origin though my old computer is no longer hooked to the internet. I guess I will need it anyway if I want to play TS3 again, as I gave away the CDs. I thought it was something more sinister.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2020

You have to run the game through the launcher, for one, which interferes with the FPS capper that I use. You need origin in order to play it, for another. I bought none of the expansions through Origin, and I don't want to be forced to run it to play Sims 3.

Edit: The only time I run Origin is when I'm playing a game which requires it, so, that's Sims 4 and DAI. I also don't run with Steam in the background when my computer is running, just when I'm playing a game which requires it. Same with all the xbox gaming stuff that Windows 10 tries to run by default. It's a matter of principle. Unless I'm playing a game that requires it, I don't want it running on my machine.
    edited September 2020

Oh, I see. I don't really mind Origin though my old computer is no longer hooked to the internet. I guess I will need it anyway if I want to play TS3 again, as I gave away the CDs. I thought it was something more sinister.

It is sinister, lol. We could download our TS3 games from Origin before patch 1.69 but didn't need Origin to load those games. But a few years ago they auto patched TS3 with patch 1.69 if you were online while you played TS3. Now, people can't play TS3 without logging into Origin and it hogging resources and collecting pc data (not just game data) for third party partners, about you and your pc and your habits on the internet like what sites you look at and when and what you buy and all sorts of things. Before (even if we got it from Origin) we didn't have to log into Origin at all. (If you had an earlier version of base and even if you did download some of your packs as digital to replace your cds). ETA: Because people had purchased those through the original EA Downloader and so Origin though we could get them there, wasn't necessary to load.

It is sinister, lol. We could download our TS3 games from Origin before patch 1.69 but didn't need Origin to load those games. But a few years ago they auto patched TS3 with patch 1.69 if you were online while you played TS3. Now, people can't play TS3 without logging into Origin and it hogging resources and collecting pc data (not just game data) for third party partners, about you and your pc and your habits on the internet like what sites you look at and when and what you buy and all sorts of things. Before (even if we got it from Origin) we didn't have to log into Origin at all. (If you had an earlier version of base and even if you did download some of your packs as digital to replace your cds). ETA: Because people had purchased those through the original EA Downloader and so Origin though we could get them there, wasn't necessary to load.

I see. I'll have to check it out (after I dust it off first), it's been a really long time.
    edited September 2020
    izecson wrote: »

Do you installed the sims 3 on different location other than Origin's default install location?

I checked that and wasn't the problem but looks like @crinrict (thank you) had the answer.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    edited September 2020

I have absolutely no problems with that update. I do have an original Sims3 on disc but find Origin more convenient (except for the Beta at this time, LOL) And I also play Sims2 though not so much lately. Again I have all my discs from my original games but choose Origin for now. I keep the discs on the off chance I may no longer be able to afford the internet.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am doing the Beta testing for the new desktop app as well so far the issues I have had are that it won’t download TS3, My Sims Medieval isn’t listed at all, and it lists that I own all the dlc for S4 except Vampires, which I do in fact own. The only dlc I don’t own is Journey To Batuu which isn’t on the dlc list at all. Oh, and last night after installed it and opened S4 and had a snoop around I closed S4 and EA desktop wasn’t visible on my screen anymore. I tried to launch it and nothing in several attempts so then I tried to open Origin, but got a pop up saying Origin couldn’t open because of EA Desktop. So I opened my task manager. There was listed something called EA Desktop background. When I clicked that the app UI became visible again. That was really annoying. I have reported all of this on AHQ.

Other than that I do like it, it does seem like my S4 game loads faster and it’s way easier to find dlc to purchase and down load, that was my biggest frustration with Origin. I could never remember where I needed to go when I wanted to purchase new packs it was always a 15 minute hunt through tab after tab. On the new app it’s clearly labeled and I can find it in one click.

As far as functionality it no different than Origin in that you do not have repurchase the content you already own, you can join EAPlay (I think that the name, not at my desktop atm) and rent content and that also is front and center and accessible in one click on the home page.

Overall I like it, I like the clean clear look of it, I like not having to hunt around if and when I want to purchase content and I like that it seems to take some burden off my game as it runs in the background. I have to admit I haven’t tried gallery access with it yet, so we’ll see how that goes. It would be nice to not have to reconnect every time I go to use it as I do with Origin.
    It restarts your "hours played". Played Sims 4 a couple hours last night and says I have 2 hours total in the game. SO it only counts hours through the app... which is fine with me haha.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am doing the Beta testing for the new desktop app as well so far the issues I have had are that it won’t download TS3, My Sims Medieval isn’t listed at all, and it lists that I own all the dlc for S4 except Vampires, which I do in fact own. The only dlc I don’t own is Journey To Batuu which isn’t on the dlc list at all. Oh, and last night after installed it and opened S4 and had a snoop around I closed S4 and EA desktop wasn’t visible on my screen anymore. I tried to launch it and nothing in several attempts so then I tried to open Origin, but got a pop up saying Origin couldn’t open because of EA Desktop. So I opened my task manager. There was listed something called EA Desktop background. When I clicked that the app UI became visible again. That was really annoying. I have reported all of this on AHQ.

Other than that I do like it, it does seem like my S4 game loads faster and it’s way easier to find dlc to purchase and down load, that was my biggest frustration with Origin. I could never remember where I needed to go when I wanted to purchase new packs it was always a 15 minute hunt through tab after tab. On the new app it’s clearly labeled and I can find it in one click.

As far as functionality it no different than Origin in that you do not have repurchase the content you already own, you can join EAPlay (I think that the name, not at my desktop atm) and rent content and that also is front and center and accessible in one click on the home page.

Overall I like it, I like the clean clear look of it, I like not having to hunt around if and when I want to purchase content and I like that it seems to take some burden off my game as it runs in the background. I have to admit I haven’t tried gallery access with it yet, so we’ll see how that goes. It would be nice to not have to reconnect every time I go to use it as I do with Origin.

Okay, I am done now. Life is too short for this mess. Now it has my S3 game loaded and ready to launch and says my S4 game needs to be downloaded, which it will not let me do. I do not have the time or patience for this so I am just going to stick with my Origin for now and when they get this thing working properly I will give it another try. Right now, my patience has run out. l have been fiddling with it for over an hour.
  • Dan20153Dan20153 Posts: 9 New Member
    when i tried it sims 4 wouldn't download for some reason even though i own the game on origin
  • NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    I'd love to try out the new EA Play Desktop app, but sadly someone made it a Win 8 and higher app, no Win 7 at all, which is bias in my book and I hope someone is able to make a temp fix for this, for players who are currently STUCK with Windows 7 until they can upgrade to Win 10 when the option is available for them to do so.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member

So not only sims 3 is not registered properly but sims medieval is gone? Thank you for the warning. I don't play sims 3 often but I definitely don't want to loose sims medieval. I will stay away from the EA desktop app as long as I can.