Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University on Normal Lifespan

For those of you who play on normal lifespan and send your sims to university, how do you do it? I’d imagine that, more often than not, you would have a sim in university. Do you get tired of sending your sims? Do you send most of your sims or only a few? I’d like to know because I’m thinking of re-installing DU but last time I played it I got frustrated because it felt like my entire game was centered around university because my sims would go so frequently.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I do play on normal lifespan but then I turn ageing off for 2 semesters if at uni.

If I don't want to actively play a sim at uni I will just enroll them and then rotate to another household. I just pop back after a week or so to re-enroll for the next semester. Usually they end up with a grade around the B or C mark if I leave them alone.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I don't play on normal lifespan but there is a mod out there which makes you need less credits to graduate. That might also be a solution.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I don't think university and normal aging mix very well. I turn aging off while they are at uni. Another option would be to temporarily slow aging down by setting it to long lifespan. That way you still have some sense of time passing without devoting nearly all their time as young adults to studying.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    I play on Long, but I do turn aging off for the duration of uni. I have had at least six of my Sims in uni all at the very same time. I make a point to enroll them for four classes each term. That means it's only three weeks Sim-time and then they can get on with their lives. I do it all at once, too. No breaks. That way, when it's done, it's done. (And we can all relax. ;) )

I've had to restart one particular game save a few times since uni came out but not due to that pack, but other things that just went horribly wrong. One was a mod I was experimenting with that took away one of my primary Sims and there was no real way to get her back. (The mod was borked) I ended up using a cheat to return her to the household, but then I couldn't get into the lot after that. That was that. Another time it was the Patch from EL that borked my game save. Took me jumping through a bunch of hoops before I finally started a new game save to get my updated mods and stuff working right.

I decided, this last Patch, to avert the problem. Of course, I pulled my Mods folder and backed up my saves/Tray prior to installing said patch. Then I started a brand new game save, before replacing the updated mods. All is well. My primary Sim (brother of the lost Sim) is now a teenaged Global Superstar and the kids (four teens born one after the other) are almost ready for uni. Do I go there again? Or do I cheat their degrees (gotta love MCCC) and let them get on with their lives?

Hope this helps you in some small way. Happy Simming!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I play on long lifespan, because I don't want it to mess with my other household.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I turn aging off while at University.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    For me, normal lifespan is too short since a sim can't even experience an entire year of seasons on that lifespan, and long lifespan is a bit too long. However, long lifespan is good for DU so that the student doesn't waste their entire young adulthood at university. I'm a rotational player so I only allow my active household to age that way I don't miss out on important milestones with other sims while I'm sticking playing one sim through to graduation at uni. I use the long lifespan and manually age my sims up when enough time has passed, somewhere in the middle of a traditional normal lifespan and long lifespan timeframe.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I don't have it yet, but my theoretical plan will be to have my sims spend four terms at university with three classes each. I currently play a rotation with one week with each household, but I'll play two weeks each rotation with the university households. I plan to leave aging on for the first two weeks and turn it off for the second two weeks, so they age the same as everyone else even though they get played twice as long (aging on for active household only). Or I might just give them a potion of youth when they graduate so I don't have to remember to change the aging thing between households...
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    i switch to long life span if im playing in uni. i think short feels like half my sims adult life is over. so that doesnt leave alot of time for having families and all that.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I turn aging off for everyone when my sim is is in uni
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I turn aging off when attending. It seems to take a long while to complete a degree.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    I have started having them drink the "Potion of Youth" before their last semester.