Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's talk about the Sims 3 animations...

As a huge fan of the sims 3, I have to say it's flawless. Of course for me the gameplay is better but there are real annoying things that I hate. I really hate the animations of the game. It's really a nightmare to watch. Especially the romantics one. The way they stare at each other is very annoying and I think we can have a discussion on it.

Comments

• KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    It's an old game (release date 2009). From what I've read, the development team wanted realistic but goofy animations. So, that's what you got.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I personally like the way sims stare at each other. I would rather that than have them look around at everything but the sim they are interacting with.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I actually disagree with the OP. I think the animations are pretty well done and I don't mind that they look a little bit sappy because I'm a hopeless romantic. Much rather see that then a wide toothy Cheshire cat grin that makes no sense for the current situation. :grin:
    Could they have improved some things? Sure! Did they...nope! :neutral:
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    Wrong thread
    Post edited by Babykittyjade on
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    they're kinda goofy! :D it doesn't bother me tho because I feel like all the sim games have goofy animations.
  • dfxblockdfxblock Posts: 61 Member
    It's an old game (release date 2009). From what I've read, the development team wanted realistic but goofy animations. So, that's what you got.

The sims 2 has better animations tho
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I actually disagree with the OP. I think the animations are pretty well done and I don't mind that they look a little bit sappy because I'm a hopeless romantic. Much rather see that then a wide toothy Cheshire cat grin that makes no sense for the current situation. :grin:

They are well done but not as well the others games are. They don't feel humans at all and I don't think human wise means realistic. The sims 2 were goofy. The sims 3 one are ew... Of course it has better gameplay but it leaves so much to be desired for me. And I agree with the line when you say they could have improved it. Especially when I see all the visuals efforts of The Sims 4 it makes me kinda bitter

To be fair I think both 3 and 4 (can't judge 2) have some less than stellar animations and that's for one reason only imo.
    Way too silly and goofy! Silly has always been the sims style but I would lovvvvvve to see realistic motions. And the perfect example is those custom animations people make for pose player of sims talking,walking,hugging etc. It looks so natural and pleasing to my eye.

And the fact that so many people make these animations tells me most would prefer this also.
    It's hard to tell certain or serious stories will all the goofy motions they go through. Atleast I think it should be balanced more.
    So I don't like too many animations of either game. I have just accepted it as the sims style.

There are some animations I really love of course like sims 3 sims playing in the water sprinkler I wish they would do that in 4. It warms my heart 🥰 they look so into it. And others I do like.
    The staring at eachother doesn't bother me.

Agree ! I wished there could be a level of being romantic like they won't stare at each other and they will. I'm a huge fan of the sims 3 but it didn't aged well...
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited September 2020
    They're Sims ... They ain't people.
    With Sims 3 ... Pining away about what doesn't matter, and won't be changed, is pretty much a fool's errand.

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2020
    There are animations I love and animations I don't like. I don't like the basegame flirting interaction for instance, but the heat of the moment kiss I absolutely love. And the one where they turn the other sim around and make them end up in their arms (no idea what it's called) as well. Must add that by now the way they flirt has become so familiar that I just associate it with a game I love so much that I don't care anymore. It's how my simmies like to behave so I let them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited September 2020
    @JoAnne65 Dip kiss :# How could a sim veteran like yourself not know that.What have you done with the real Joanne :'(

And hi haven't seen you in foreva eva
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    I don´t agree with you.
    I like how they "stare" at each other, it´s realistically. Nobody looks at the partner and grins a Joker-grin the whole time. Sometimes they do grin, it then seems as if they are shy, this is very sweet.
    They notice each other and focus just on their partner when they stare at each other. They show that he/she is the only thing that counts at that special moment.
    The only thing I critizise is that there are too few of this animations in the game.

@JoAnne65 : hi there, finally back on the fun side? :p
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited September 2020
    That's why those of us who want natural animations...start using "Animation Player". For those who don't use mods. Wait till they're in a neutral position.
    Screenshot-90.jpg
    Screenshot-144.jpg
    Screenshot-63.jpg
    If you don't write stories or don't need to take screencaps...

Grit yer teeth n' bear it.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    (Ahem) Yeah, about that Dip Kiss interaction. At one point I began a careful and scientific analysis of the ITF expansion to see if I even wanted to keep it in my game since I so rarely use its features. That took all of 12 seconds; it's the expansion the Dip Kiss comes with. The pack stays.

(slight exaggeration, I do like the Astronomy career and dream pods...) :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    bekkasan wrote: »

@bekkasan - the Cheshire cat had a more pleasing grin than the Sims 4 sims. The TS4 sims just make me want to wind up and smack those Joker grins right off their faces. :evil grin:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    The animations themselves are fine though sometimes awkward and stiff (many were ported from TS2!), working with the rigs as a poser is more mixed (the lips are kind of awful, I've also posed for TS4 and the faces are rigged more naturally and I'm usually happier with facial expressions there, but you make it work either way), the maybe three chatting animations they repeated for each "new social interaction" are peak laziness.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    I don't mind the animations much, never really have. They're a nice mix of goofy and realistic and they don't feel dragged out or overexaggerated. They're simple, and it works out with the series.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2020
    @JoAnne65 Dip kiss :# How could a sim veteran like yourself not know that.What have you done with the real Joanne :'(

And hi haven't seen you in foreva eva
    She plays the game in Dutch haha 😬 Hi!!😄
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    I don´t agree with you.
    I like how they "stare" at each other, it´s realistically. Nobody looks at the partner and grins a Joker-grin the whole time. Sometimes they do grin, it then seems as if they are shy, this is very sweet.
    They notice each other and focus just on their partner when they stare at each other. They show that he/she is the only thing that counts at that special moment.
    The only thing I critizise is that there are too few of this animations in the game.

@JoAnne65 : hi there, finally back on the fun side? :p
    Lol, it certainly is. I’ve been very unfaithful to Sims 3 ever since Animal Crossing was released. Desperately missing Daryl and Leo though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I really like it when sims stare at each other. One thing I miss from Sims 2 was when sims would look right at the camera, as if they know that you're there, and sometimes when you give them an instruction that is against their nature, they look right at the camera and point at themselves as if to say "Who, me?"
    I wish TS3 sims did that too.

The only thing I don't like about TS3 animations is the slight pause before they do something, like walking up stairs and stuff. But that's the only "complaint" I have.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Pary - Every once in a while I feel like my sims look up into the camera at me as if to say, "You have got to be kidding us!" One time was when I thought a nice lot I was having a group of four stay at on a Traveler mod vacation/later move to new world procedure would still be available but it wasn't so I had to plop them down on the only remaining residential lot left that was free -- and it was pretty bad, with one cheap brass double bed on the entire lot, in the middle of an ugly living room. They dutifully marched in with their luggage, stood in front of the bed, stared at it, and didn't seem very happy with the accommodations. But they only had to "stay" there for about 10 sim minutes while I quickly rearranged things.

Guess I could have been imagining the staring at the camera thing though as I was really concentrating on fixing my mistake. They had no life-threatening issues I needed to be made aware of, they weren't route stuck or anything like that. Just less than thrilled looking. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I really like it when sims stare at each other. One thing I miss from Sims 2 was when sims would look right at the camera, as if they know that you're there, and sometimes when you give them an instruction that is against their nature, they look right at the camera and point at themselves as if to say "Who, me?"
    I wish TS3 sims did that too.

"Uh ... You want me to do what to this guy?"

50233187901_49719f13bd_k.jpg

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @Pary : they look at the camera. but with a different expression. They smile a little smile, it looks a bit as if they know something which the player doesn´t. It´s very sweet!
    YPYW1XP.jpg
    nNOBU6d.jpg

@JoAnne65 : I miss them dearly!! Don´t ever think of cheating furthermore! ;)
    @JoAnne65 Long time no see! My sister bought me a Switch and Animal Crossing for my birthday a few days ago and I have been playing way more than is healthy but I am still simming. The beauty of being old and unemployed is that I have all the time in the world for games! :D

@Pary I could be imagining things but I feel sure my sims look at me from time to time.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I've never really noticed it. I should probably pay more attention, but in TS2 its just "smack in the face" noticeable, but I haven't noticed it in TS3.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    I do remember how it was with TS2! Definitely more pronounced than TS3 but I am sure that is what I am seeing.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    Yes, sims look straight into the camera, usually when they are done with a task I foisted on them when they wanted to do something else.
    "Any more chores you make me do, you slave driver?"
    Yeah...gotta love it when they break the 4th Wall. :mrgreen:
    Screenshot-73.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png