Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do young people want?

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don't know, when I was younger playing the series, I always loved content that made me feel like I was playing an adult game. In my young teens, I liked the feeling of sort of living vicariously through my adult Sims as they did things adults do.

That's why I really don't feel like even young teens today appreciate the sense of humor that The Sims 4 has. Angry poops, stupid/unfunny quotes in the rolling tips during loading screens, Sims always smiling and walking in a jig motion like they're on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, bright sunshine daisy environments 24/7... Nah. I would've tossed the game aside. Give me the happy vibes, but don't forget to throw in the grunge and dark side of things, too. They're just as important.

Oh, and how could I forget those trailers? The narrator for the newer packs sounds like she's marketing a game to 5 year olds with a screechy voice and over-the-top enthusiasm. I just can't express how much younger me would've passed so hard on the game. That's why I feel like they're not even catering to the younger crowd. They're just off track, marketing especially, all throughout TS4.

I have always leaned towards the idealistic-realistic. In Sims 4 terms: I was not interested in Supernaturals (except for vampires, because well... fangs are hot) but neither in Laundry, but I loved Tiny Living, City living and Island living.
    It might have to do with what other games I play but no other game series CAN give me that. Supernaturals? Hello Skyrim! Or Pathfinder! Or Divine Divinity 2! or... Sci fi? Hello Fallout, Mass Effect and X-COM. And so on. I play enough other types of games that the only itch I cannot get scratched any other way is basically basic happy realistic living.

Yeah, I tend to gravitate towards the realistic type of content, too. Given the choice of a supernatural pack or farming, I'd pick farming any day of the week.

I still like the fantasy, sci-fi, adventuring, etc. additions to the series, and I do buy/play them when I'm in the mood. I just feel The Sims hits a theme that other games don't. And I don't think TS4 accurately portrays realism that well at all, either. Misfortune, challenges, fears, risks, etc. are all essential.

The problem with the outliers, so to speak (Strangerville, Making Magic) is that it needs far more work to be tied in. It is especially noticeable with Strangerville: Why is not Sixam utilized? The Sims already HAVE an alien world, already HAVE a known alien infiltration (but you know they wear "disguises" except when they all get drunk in public every Thursday for some reason).
    Why not have added content or different content if your Sim investigating the Mother is an alien? Just as an example.

As for the rest: Yes. The traits are both too shallow and too powerful at once. I have argued this over and over: No negative traits actually matter in the least. An unflirty Sim will maybe not get married until the SECOND date *eyeroll*. That's about it. At the same time the good traits are just... overpowering. "My entire family died in a fire but I am a goofball and creative and just painted this cute rabbit so now I will be super happy while my dad is still smoking in the corner. But tomorrow I will have a breakdown when a random dog dies of old age on my lawn".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My young adult daughter loves to play Mario games, Harry Potter Games,
    Hannah Montana Games,
    Disney Kingdom Games &
    Dark Alice in Wonderland Games.
    She also loves to play Sims 2 Castaway on Wii,
    Sims 3 Starter Pack & all the Sims 4 Packs on PC.
  • haydendamian_97haydendamian_97 Posts: 63 Member
    Has anyone heard of the name MC Command Center?? I have, I think it's time for a similar command center that's default, built in the game and players never have to enable mods after an update. It would be called the Sim Command Center, but for now, it's called the SCCC (Sim Command Center Concept). The command center would look very similar to the MC Command Center but, the icon would be replaced with the TS4 plumbob. Inside Sim Command Center, you'll find the same commands that were inside the MC Command Center. Sadly, if anyone used the MC Command Center after the SCC patch, then, the MC Command Center would NOT work. How does it work?? Well, the same as the MC Command Center, you would do awesome cheats on your sims, and you never have to enable mods, it would be default!! How cool is that!! If you click on a sim, there would be an icon that looks like the TS4 blumbob and you click on it, it would come up to a small screen, that would have all the commands that MC Command Center had. When you click the Sim Command Center, you would see that the MCCC Settings would be SCC Settings, MC CAS would be SCC CAS, MC Career would be SCC Career, MC Cleaner would be SCC Cleaner, MC Occult would be SCC Occult, MC Population would be SCC Population MC Pregnancy would be SCC Pregnancy and when you click on it, the options would be either become pregnant with either 1,2 or 3 babies, from someone inside your household, or neighborhood, and the other option would be to look pregnant with either trimester 1, 2, or 3. The last change would be MC Turner, which would become SCC Tuner!!

That's my concept, if anyone has any questions, please comment

Thank You......
    Hayden Damian, geography buff, aviation buff, likes video games......
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    Hello! Male Millennial here. I would like a more in-depth connection within the game. I was chatting to my better half just last night about how TS4 hasn't held my interest quite like TS2 did! Have I "grown" out of it? Not sure. However, I think it's more the lack of meaningful gameplay and connections between Sims...

Connections, exactly. I would love to see more meaningful interactions between Sims. I'd also like to see differences between types of relationships -- family, friends, lovers, life partners, enemies. For me, TS4 has the blandest and most sanitized relationships in the franchise.

I'd love to see more ways play with a toddler, for example, beyond the one sparkly, teleportation extravaganza. More ways to play with the kids. More bonding activities for parents and teens.

Romance needs to be rebuilt practically from the ground up. Once the woohoo is over, what's the incentive to move beyond that? committed couples aren't much different fro the casual hookup.

Regrettably, my opinion as an adult of a certain age has no value.

LOL @Cynna I love this description of that animation 😂😂
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    I think that the young are bright and have the ability to learn and grow quickly and this version of the game is basically so dumbed-down - that it is an insult to think they can't handle something more creative and complex.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The world and people have changed since TS1 and it's not looking to good for the human race. If EA keeps listening to the "Me" generation then I am afraid all hope is lost for the Sims.

Which "'Me' generation? Baby Boomers? Gen X? Millennials? Gen Z? Because all four of those generations have been given that brand at some point...
    There is a book about it written by a psychologist, 1970s and 1980s and 1990s people it describes:
    https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-03940-000
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    Oh, and how could I forget those trailers? The narrator for the newer packs sounds like she's marketing a game to 5 year olds with a screechy voice and over-the-top enthusiasm. I just can't express how much younger me would've passed so hard on the game. That's why I feel like they're not even catering to the younger crowd. They're just off track, marketing especially, all throughout TS4.

I didn't know what you were talking about, so I watched some of the official gameplay trailers. You weren't exaggerating, that narrator is painful to listen to.

Especially the Eco Lifestyle trailer. Screechy, over enthusiastic, childish and patronising all rolled in to one 👍🏼
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I think modern young people have very different ideas about romance than older people did when they were young. Even among millenials, 31% don't want to get married. Here is a quote from an article about romance among Generation Z: “I’ve heard a joke on campus that goes something like this: ‘First base is hooking up, second base is talking, third base is going on a date and fourth base is dating.’" Young people are delaying marriage and children, while my mother had a baby and a husband when she was nineteen. Here is a quote from another article: "In a blossoming age of autonomy, our youngest generations are supplanting traditional predictors of success, like marriage and having children, with career-based ones."

I suspect the game will continue to evolve away from the marriage, family, house model, since many young people won't have the desire to have a spouse or children, or the ability to own a house. I'm not saying this is a good thing for my play. I like playing house with my Sims. But I do think it's the future.

But (bolded) doesn't that mean the majority does want to get married if only 31% don't, doesn't that mean 69% do? :D
    It sounds like Maxis math, 31% wanted SW, 69% didn't so they gave them SW. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think that the young are bright and have the ability to learn and grow quickly and this version of the game is basically so dumbed-down - that it is an insult to think they can't handle something more creative and complex.

Build mode was dumped down in TS4, many love it because it's so easy, never mind it has ten thousand features missing that were in the other games. I don't know, I think the proof is in the pudding if people needed it so easy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Build mode was dumped down in TS4, many love it because it's so easy, never mind it has ten thousand features missing that were in the other games. I don't know, I think the proof is in the pudding if people needed it so easy.

Yep. It seems to be so.

I'm not a huge builder, but I do try. What features are missing?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

The one that I miss most is the cheat constrainfloorelevation true/false. It allowed builders to create all types of fascinating things, bridges, arches, split levels, attached garages on homes with foundations... One of my favorite homes in TS3 had a little Koi pond out front. In order to get to the front door, the Sims had to cross a little rope bridge over the water. It even dipped in the middle as a rope bridge should.

Which reminds me. Another great feature was the pond tool. Dig deep enough, a builder could reach a world's water table. All kinds of ponds and water features could be created. All TS4 has is the disturbingly round pre-fabricated pond.

Also, the previous games made it possible to remove single floor tiles with a simple click. With TS4, a simple click removes the entire floor in the room.

Those are three biggies, as far as I'm concerned. Even though some TS4 builders are quite creative, certain builds from the earlier games cannot be easily replicated.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

I was deeply disturbed when I realized TS4 did not have an auto roof feature.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Yeah I was too and I miss it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Everytime the community is dissatisfied with the theme of a pack I keep hearing that EA is marketing to the new generation, that they want to attract younger players. It makes sense to bring in a new player base but is what The Sims 4 Team delivering lately really what 13 year old girls want?

The things that I liked in the Sims game as a teen and now in my mid/late 20s is pretty much the same: romance, going on vacation, becoming a celebrity and starting a family. Are modern teenagers really that different? If they got to choose between a Star Wars GP and a Generations GP would they really choose Star Wars?

In my opinion young simmers and old simmers aren‘t different at all when it comes to the content we like.

I agree.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2020

Painting ceilings, curved pools, pond tool, platforms to put on top of foundations, multilevel windows, functional elevators.... and I think that's it....they patched a lot of things to build mode. Curved manson roofing is also not exactly in the game...the roof pieces curve a bit weirdly and so it doesn't exactly get the same effect as the object pieces that TS2 Mansion and Garden stuff had.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm a xennial. When I remember how I was at sixteen, the sims would have more and more detailed and darker witchcraft or occults and hardrock/alternative bands would exist. I didn't fit to the other typical teenage girls in the 90's. Well I have listened to the boybands too, but after one concert of one band I was really disappointed while my friends loved them, instead I loved the rockbands. I grow up in a damsel in distress environments. Female independent role models I didn't know, so when Xena, Buffy and Charmed were shown I was hooked, I loved these series about strong and powerful women. Well I was also interested in the computer, the idea of hacking into powerful networks I found amazing, but I have never learnt it. :)
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    But (bolded) doesn't that mean the majority does want to get married if only 31% don't, doesn't that mean 69% do? :D

No. I could mean 31% don't, 34% do and and 35% are indifferent. :D

The one that I miss most is the cheat constrainfloorelevation true/false. It allowed builders to create all types of fascinating things, bridges, arches, split levels, attached garages on homes with foundations... One of my favorite homes in TS3 had a little Koi pond out front. In order to get to the front door, the Sims had to cross a little rope bridge over the water. It even dipped in the middle as a rope bridge should.

Which reminds me. Another great feature was the pond tool. Dig deep enough, a builder could reach a world's water table. All kinds of ponds and water features could be created. All TS4 has is the disturbingly round pre-fabricated pond.

Also, the previous games made it possible to remove single floor tiles with a simple click. With TS4, a simple click removes the entire floor in the room.

Those are three biggies, as far as I'm concerned. Even though some TS4 builders are quite creative, certain builds from the earlier games cannot be easily replicated.

I'm not sure that a cheat should be considered a lost function? 😂

The tile one I had noticed actually! Infuriating.

Wasn't the auto roof feature quite buggy?
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Painting ceilings, curved pools, pond tool, platforms to put on top of foundations, multilevel windows, functional elevators.... and I think that's it....they patched a lot of things to build mode. Curved manson roofing is also not exactly in the game...the roof pieces curve a bit weirdly and so it doesn't exactly get the same effect as the object pieces that TS2 Mansion and Garden stuff had.

I can't tell if TS4 has ceilings 😂

It has multi level windows though?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

The tile one I had noticed actually! Infuriating.

Wasn't the auto roof feature quite buggy?
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I can't tell if TS4 has ceilings 😂

It has multi level windows though?

I neverrrrr had a problem with it.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Young people, also known as 'Millennials', are human beings who became young adults in the 21st century. Most have been born into a world of affluence and relative wealth according to their societal status. Consumerism is normal and encouraged, Materialism is their religion and their God. 'Stuff Packs' are their idea of progress!
    But seriously, this generation of young people generally WANT what the government tells them they want. They believe in their social media updates and are easily manipulated and influenced by those social platforms. I know and work with a lot of young people and they don't tend to question what the media/government is telling them. Everything that isn't governmental in origin or isn't verified by 'experts', or isn't on the 10'o'clock news is a big fat false conspiracy theory.
    Young people want an easy life.

No-K, boomer. No way, no way, and ... NO WAY. ... You haven't seen actual politics of Millennials and younger??!!!!

@rinabooboo I agree except sometimes a nerdy girl is also a girly girl, too! o:)

Lol! Actually, Gen Z are much more free thinkers than Millennials (statistically speaking).

Millennials are aging...the youngest are in their late twenties. OP is talking about Gen Zs. THEY were raised on their devices. I feel Millennials think they’re the target but they aren’t. They’re too old. 😝
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Young people, also known as 'Millennials', are human beings who became young adults in the 21st century. Most have been born into a world of affluence and relative wealth according to their societal status. Consumerism is normal and encouraged, Materialism is their religion and their God. 'Stuff Packs' are their idea of progress!
    But seriously, this generation of young people generally WANT what the government tells them they want. They believe in their social media updates and are easily manipulated and influenced by those social platforms. I know and work with a lot of young people and they don't tend to question what the media/government is telling them. Everything that isn't governmental in origin or isn't verified by 'experts', or isn't on the 10'o'clock news is a big fat false conspiracy theory.
    Young people want an easy life.

No-K, boomer. No way, no way, and ... NO WAY. ... You haven't seen actual politics of Millennials and younger??!!!!

@rinabooboo I agree except sometimes a nerdy girl is also a girly girl, too! o:)

Lol! Actually, Gen Z are much more free thinkers than Millennials (statistically speaking).

Millennials are aging...the youngest are in their late twenties. OP is talking about Gen Zs. THEY were raised on their devices. I feel Millennials think they’re the target but they aren’t. They’re too old. 😝

OP is just talking...mostly s***. 😉
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020

You might have a point if the TS4 developers weren't heavily dependent on cheats in order to expand the functionality of their game. Cheats such as bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.showliveeditobjects are not only encouraged they're treated as full-fledged features. IIRC, the community begged the developers to improve or to make the moveobjects cheat more accessible because it was so integral for builds.

How are those examples any different from the constrainfloorelevation cheat that was heavily used in builds but also hidden behind a cheat wall? It existed in the last two games. In TS4 it does not and I miss it.

I3Ml5Om.jpg

You might have a point if the TS4 developers weren't heavily dependent on cheats in order to expand the functionality of their game. Cheats such as bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.showliveeditobjects are not only encouraged they're treated as full-fledged features. IIRC, the community begged the developers to improve or to make the moveobjects cheat more accessible because it was so integral for builds.

How are those examples any different from the constrainfloorelevation cheat that was heavily used in builds but also hidden behind a cheat wall? It existed in the last two games. In TS4 it does not and I miss it.

Well, I guess the difference is ones opinion on feature vs cheat.

I don't consider cheats to be a feature. Evidently, you do. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Everytime the community is dissatisfied with the theme of a pack I keep hearing that EA is marketing to the new generation, that they want to attract younger players. It makes sense to bring in a new player base but is what The Sims 4 Team delivering lately really what 13 year old girls want?

The things that I liked in the Sims game as a teen and now in my mid/late 20s is pretty much the same: romance, going on vacation, becoming a celebrity and starting a family. Are modern teenagers really that different? If they got to choose between a Star Wars GP and a Generations GP would they really choose Star Wars?

In my opinion young simmers and old simmers aren‘t different at all when it comes to the content we like.

I’ve been here pretty much from the start and I’m 32 now. I still like the game the same way I liked it 15,16 years ago. My tastes don’t really change.

—T