Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A theory as to why Star Wars came to the Sims 4...

The last time I posted I created a firestorm....that post was closed. However, I want to try again because I think I know why Star Wars was chosen for the latest Game Pack.

It is clear (to me anyway) that EA has entered into a deal with Disney about the Star Wars franchise. They released Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order last year under the EA banner. They are about to release Star Wars Squadrons (under the EA Banner). My theory is that EA entered an agreement to produce X number of Star Wars related titles across their various game franchises. The Sims 4 was probably one of them. EA/Maxis were probably contractually obligated to produce a Star Wars themed game pack in a certain time frame. So, this might not have been what they wanted to release next but what they had to release next. Also, if they were under a time crunch, they might not have been able to flesh it out like they wanted to.

I've seen it before. Authors and music artists who enter a multi-project deal to make a certain number of works. They want out later so they throw something together to fulfill the contract.

I am not saying this is true or correct. I'm not saying it is right for a company to do that, but it does happen.

This might explain why Journey to Batuu is not up to their usual work and is not what the fans really wanted.

Just sayin........

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    p18bLEo.gif
  • YamsisimsYamsisims Posts: 111 Member
    p18bLEo.gif

I'm sorry. Don't pour over the posts here extensively, so I didn't realize someone else might have shared this. I am assuming this as sarcasm.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    EA has an exclusive license with Disney to produce Star Wars games which doesn't expire until 2023, and they're using it however they can.
    Now, personally, I am eagerly awaiting "Dragon Age 4: Solas is Actually a Sith Lord; Look, Just Go With It, Okay?"
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Journey to Batuu is more or less Galaxy's Edge imported into the Sims.

Galaxy's Edge isn't doing as well as they hoped in reality.

Disney wanted to hype up Galaxy's edge and get people into the park.

The last weekend of August was both the 1 year anniversary of the opening of Galaxy's Edge in Florida and the original date for Star Wars Celebration 2020. I'm certain that the original planned release was that weekend with the EA booth at Star Wars Celebration having Collector Box sets available or something. Then they canceled Star Wars Celebration due to the pandemic which also gave them some breathing room.

This pack is an advertisement for Galaxy's Edge.

I've never thought differently. I'm just enough of a Star Wars fan that yes, I will pay $20 for a glorified advertisement for an amusement park attraction that I can't otherwise afford to go visit.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I personally didn't know any of this. Thank you for the information. Considering I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies -not on purpose, I just never did-, I wasn't aware of the extent of the collaboration between EA and Disney. So I'm in the dark about a lot of things and news that revolve around the franchise. Let's just hope the developers will see how the sales for this pack go and plan future content accordingly. One can only hope.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Now, personally, I am eagerly awaiting "Dragon Age 4: Solas is Actually a Sith Lord; Look, Just Go With It, Okay?"

You may actually wish for this, given the current condition of Bioware.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

huh, are you saying that we may actually get a DA4?
    edited September 2020
    Oh, OP, while EA has had the Star Wars video games rights for the last 7 years, you're actually not far off thinking this is a new thing. For some reason, they have done so little with it that it may as well be. Bioware had their Star Wars MMO, and, uh, I don't remember which division put out Battlefield 2 and managed to anger an entire community due to things like Darth Vader being locked behind a pay or grind gate. But I really can't think of anything else that they've done. And that's wild, because it's Star Wars.

So I think your theory is right, but in a different way. I think Disney is probably super annoyed that EA should be making lots of games and printing money for both yet they haven't been. I think someone at Disney may have rattled their chains and so now EA is trying to stick Star Wars into everything. After all, that license expires in 3 years, and if they're not making Disney $$, Disney is going to find someone who will.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Luthienrising has a topic on the pack. On page 1 a high ranking personage who shall not be named flatly stated the pack was added because said personage wanted it to happen. If I understand their follow on post correctly, they believe 'The Sims' should not be confined to simply being a life simulator.
    Felicity wrote: »

It is actually in production.

• YamsisimsYamsisims Posts: 111 Member
    Oh, OP, while EA has had the Star Wars video games rights for the last 7 years, you're actually not far off thinking this is a new thing. For some reason, they have done so little with it that it may as well be. Bioware had their Star Wars MMO, and, uh, I don't remember which division put out Battlefield 2 and managed to anger an entire community due to things like Darth Vader being locked behind a pay or grind gate. But I really can't think of anything else that they've done. And that's wild, because it's Star Wars.

So I think your theory is right, but in a different way. I think Disney is probably super annoyed that EA should be making lots of games and printing money for both yet they haven't been. I think someone at Disney may have rattled their chains and so now EA is trying to stick Star Wars into everything. After all, that license expires in 3 years, and if they're not making Disney $$, Disney is going to find someone who will.

I don't think I put it across quite correctly, but that is what I think too. Disney has been unhappy with EA on the use of Star Wars in the game and are holding EA's feet to the fire. I didn't realize there was another post along these lines. I was just trying to offer a thought.

It is actually in production.

Unfortunately it's still in preproduction. I was being a bit snarky with my reply to you, but if DA4 comes out, it may very well be after EA loses the Disney license.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Star Wars is a cash cow franchise that has millions fans and followers across the world. Many of these people are REALLY devoted to their favorite franchise and there is nothing wrong with that. And let's be real - who DOESN'T know what Star Wars is these days? It sells. That the long and the short of it - it sells. People will buy it. And many have indeed done so. What else there is no say? It. SELLS.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member

fudge sakes they better not ruin that series.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
    edited September 2020
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Star Wars is a cash cow franchise that has millions fans and followers across the world. Many of these people are REALLY devoted to their favorite franchise and there is nothing wrong with that. And let's be real - who DOESN'T know what Star Wars is these days? It sells. That the long and the short of it - it sells. People will buy it. And many have indeed done so. What else there is no say? It. SELLS.

Loads of people love cheese burgers and loads of people love chocolate milk that doesn't mean we should start putting cheese burgers in our chocolate milk.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    edited September 2020
    They have had the license to produce Star Wars games since 2013 and may expire in 2023. This is not something new considering this was announced right after SWTOR was released. The license has been talked about for years in the SWTOR forums.

Regarding what fans of Sims wanted, it would depend on who you talk to. For me I love having a Star Wars pack over a knitting pack. Not everyone hates or didn't want the pack. I had stopped playing Sims because it got boring to me and came back because of the Star Wars pack.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »

Loads of people love cheese burgers and loads of people love chocolate milk that doesn't mean we should start putting cheese burgers in our chocolate milk.

Of course not. But having them together for lunch can be delightful.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    ladybreid wrote: »

Of course not. But having them together for lunch can be delightful.

lol absolutely... together but separate :smiley:
    wz3Vdbh.jpg