Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest "flop" of the sims series?

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please specify)
    In terms of most controversial, probably Eco Lifestyle. At first the community rejected it, then, after more information, a small group came to the conclusion it could be amazing, and in the end the whole thing was a bugfest that made even me consider returning to Sims 2 and never looking back. I experienced a gamebreaking bug that hasn't been addressed yet and if the mods that deal with it ever break that was it for me with this game.

The games I consider flops, however, would be
    - Living Large
    So much excitement, wow, my favorite game gets an addon! But looking back there was so little content that I rued the purchase.
    - Life Stories
    I expected something like the scenarios with the Brokes, the Grunts and the Monty/Capp, only to realize I could change nothing about the plot and that I had just bought an interactive story
    - Sims Medieval
    Almost as bad as Life Stories, little to no freedom and customisation
  • Jess_KimbaJess_Kimba Posts: 20 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Eco Lifestyle was an awful concept to begin with and was terribly executed. I will never buy that pack.

That said, I had three things I was excited for in the Star Wars pack: a lively market place in Batuu with shop stalls and interaction, relationships with Rey or Kylo, and new aliens and alien babies. That was all, and I was vaguely interested in that at least. But now I know that Batuu is nothing but pop-up menus and shells, you can't have any relationship with the characters, and the aliens are gloves. They knifed this pack until it was nothing but rags.

Moschino is a hideous and transparent cash-grab too. I'd never heard of them before the pack, and it's another one I'll never buy (in the Sims or real life).
  • PlatinumblondePlatinumblonde Posts: 28 Member
    Sims 4 My first pets stuff
    I voted for My first pets stuff, because it's a dlc made for another dlc.
    A clear money grab.
    Saying that I do think that the star wars pack isn't going to sell well.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Sims 4 Base game (Pre patches)
    For me, it’s between the base game before patches and My Little Pet.

The base game won out because I was so, so, so very disappointed by the lack of toddlers, pools/pool items, etc, that came with other past base games. The lack of toddlers was a big huge negative and I was sad and outspoken about the lack of an important life stage for a life simulation for a year or two. I was so relieved when they *finally* released toddlers.

And then there are the lackluster object babies and having less content for children as well...

The company should have known their fanbase better. That was when I knew Sims 4 was always going to be lacking that very depth and even the little details that past base games had.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I forgot that Facebook Sims Social game existed. That was one hella of a flop as it didn't have a long lifespan lol
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    I voted star wars because it’s the only pack I will never buy.

I didn’t get the sims 4 until a couple years after release. When I did buy it though, I loved the base game. I happily played it for months without wanting any packs, I only bought a couple when they went on sale.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    I've never been into the silliness of Katy Perry, nor do I like her stage dressing. I don't listen to her music (I prefer Kelly Clarkson) and am just not a fan. In all due respect, she is a beloved singer, but I do believe she should stick to what she does best. Design isn't it, in my not-so-humble opinion.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Other (please specify)
    All of the above, plus eco pack, laundry day.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    I picked ST because it was so niche I am not a fan of any packs they put out that just really are only usable is specific situations. I haven't bought nor will I be buying the starwars thing for that very reason. But since it isn't here yet I really can't say its a flop Imy crystal ball is dusty.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Everything on that list a flop, but sims 4 had the worst launches I've ever seen and continues to disappoint.
    giphy.gif

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Okay, speaking candidly for a minute.

People have a really good point about this year's 20th anniversary, it was a giant letdown. It didn't even cause rage so much as a profound sadness in the community, and this reaction has been very different from the standard, "we didn't ask for this, what about x,y,z, etc" outbursts that everyone at least somewhat expects with every new announcement. The 20th had been noted by EA in quarterly reports, it had been mentioned by devs even in the previous year, it had threads dedicated to it for over a year on these forums...and the resounding silence was "deafening", as the saying goes. There were players who tuned in all day to see what would happen, there were Game Changers speculating, there were new threads popping up to reminisce about the franchise and people were happily uniting to discuss The Sims, it's history, Will Wright, offshoot games, and the future.

Then the hot tub got patched. The entire mood shifted and it was like someone had died. Well, if we want to personify the enthusiasm and affection, we can say something did. People were comparing their feelings to a spouse who forgets a milestone birthday/anniversary and at the end of the day, runs out to get you a card and some wilted flowers. People were genuinely hurt.

And honestly, I think in some ways, that moment right there set the mood for this year. We should have been celebrating all year long. We should have been feeling optimistic for a long future ahead filled with fun content and surprises. But that day kind of killed the trust on a much deeper level for a lot of people. It essentially exposed the "relationship" for what it really is. Just a company serving just another player base. And that did some damage.

Now, whether or not you think it was an overreaction, or that people should have kept their perspectives in check, or if players got manipulated into seeing the company as their friend, the truth remains. The company knows and has acknowledged its players are very passionate. Reps of EA and the team knew the anniversary was coming and anticipated. EA/Maxis chose to engage with players on a regular basis, on a more human level, trying to show that they were "one of us", which builds trust and makes it more personal. They even campaigned and marketed to speak to inclusivity and sensitivity, digging deep to reach the heart and soul of players and trying to say, "we care". So when they "forgot" the anniversary, it was quite a blow and very hard for the community not to take personally. And, unfortunately, that's not something that can be fixed with a patch.

So my honest vote would actually go to this.
    #Team Occult
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    After watching through JtB gameplay on YouTube I want to change my vote. No buildable lots, no aliens (it's just costumes), no kid aliens (not even costumes), very few color swatches on build tiles and wallpapers, no counters, kitchen or bathroom stuff, oversized buy items that don't really match existing ones. Linear storyline, no Woohoo with SW characters on Batuu...
    Happy simming!
  • NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Man, I really thought My First Pet Stuff would forever be the worst. But then I saw those "aliens" that turned out to be just masks with gloves, and I just...
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Laundry Day!
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Laundry Day!

That pack was voted by the community though. I know some people didn't like it lol
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    This is the only pack in 20 years that I do not have, and I will never regret passing on all the silliness (as GalacticGal pointed out).
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I thought City Living was pretty bad, it's the one pack I wish I didn't buy
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    If the base game was good, bad packs would hurt a little less. For me at least.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I don't really have a flop fave, and I'll not nominate a pack that I don't own. All backs I bought (and they are many) offers something to expand my game. Some of them do include a few features that I do not fancy or use, but I don't really expect a pack to be 100% my wish list. If I'm happy with half the content, I'm satisfied. And those packs i did not buy I skipped for a reason, but they might be great picks for other simmers.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Journey to Batuu has so far been the only pack that I've been completely disgusted by. I'm usually one of the people on the side of the spectrum who is always trying to persuade people to at least have an open mind, but this time, I'm with the people who hate everything to do with the pack.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    You already know. ;)
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    I debated between TS4 base-game and the upcoming Star Wars pack. The reason I didn't choose BG is for the slack I'll give the devs– Since the game was apparently first built as Olympus, an online/multi-player version of The Sims, but then had to be scrapped. TS4 had to be developed with a very short amount of time.

We got a pretty empty base game for a hefty price, but again, I've given them the benefit of the doubt for that. I've chosen Star Wars because after six years, they've had plenty of time to replenish that base-game. Which they have, I'll give them that, but only to a degree.

Star Wars, as a pack for TS4, just doesn't fit the franchise, in my opinion. They could've easily created a space/futuristic-themed pack and had references to SW, but instead we get a full-blown Star Wars pack that, so far, has appeared extremely limiting for apparently being able to "create your own story". This is supposed to be a sandbox game, but we are now being given our second specific-story-driven game. I can at least still play with Strangerville; I can use the items it came with, I can use the world. I can ignore the storyline part, and the pack overall still fits in with the rest with the game itself.
    Not to mention, even though SW has some of the most objects ever in a GP (according to a guru, I believe), it lacks depth.

It's no doubt that the new SW pack is controversial. I don't think even MFPS caused this much of an uproar. And for as much hate as Sweet Treats got, TS3 at least had way more depth and their packs had plenty more content, so it wasn't a huge loss in the end. I personally was never left wanting after every pack release. This time around, it just feels like another pack wasted when we have so much stuff that needs to be fixed and/or implemented.
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Sims 3. I mean, have you seen those Sims? :D

Idk. That just personal taste. ive seen lots of pretty looking sims 3 sims and plenty sims 4 sims that arent. Id say without cc, the sims from both games look equal.

Most sims 4 players makeover their sims with a ton of cc anyway , so i dont think most sims 4 players are too fond of that look either.Its totally subjective.With cc, sims 3 beats sims 4 hands down for me. Without it, id say equal.

But besides all that, personal preference stuff, If the sims 4's only strong point is looking decent, thats actually a rather weak point ;)@LiELF

TS3 cc sim

Eh5uWhu.jpg

Ts4 cc sim
    Ec40RS7.jpg
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Sims 4 My first pets stuff
    I voted before I remembered how much the base game prepatch was lacking haha. That 100 missing features was truly infamous. Some of the stuff on the list doesn't bother me as much as it did then (I don't miss cars as much as i thought I would, and I actually think making babies an object was a really good decision now) but things like toddlers, pools, and ghosts not being in the base game was crazy.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    The base game. I think it was a really poor decision to try to simply cut online features and release Sims 4. What should have been done was a new game from the beginning, and engine and all built around that. We have a lot of stuff that can't ever be due to the weak engine, setup of maps, etc.