Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• > @Nindigo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I know. I was merely asking out of curiosity. The Sims 4 is constantly held up against The Sims 3, so it's easy enough to be left with the impression that it must. According to some at least.

Most possibly because TS4 is supposed to be a squeal to TS3. Since every one of them have always been bigger and better. But that's my guess.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited September 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Must Sims 4 have exactly the same content as Sims 3 to be worthwhile?

@Nindigo Nobody said that.

I know. I was merely asking out of curiosity. The Sims 4 is constantly held up against The Sims 3, so it's easy enough to be left with the impression that it must. According to some at least.

Nope. We are comparing the quality of the two. We're not playing "find the difference"

I meant in terms of what content that was made for previous games, Sims 3 in particular. As for quality, there is really not much inspiration to take from Sims 3. I play it these days and the quality is nothing to get excited about. Even with a handful of NRaas' mods, there are tons of script errors and whatnots.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Most possibly because TS4 is supposed to be a squeal to TS3. Since every one of them have always been bigger and better. But that's my guess.
    Yeah, and that is probably where things go wrong, because Sims 4 is more different than it's better. I don't know if that was the intention, but it's what we're dealing with.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah, and that is probably where things go wrong, because Sims 4 is more different than it's better. I don't know if that was the intention, but it's what we're dealing with.

It's different but worse and less developed. Even if the Sims 3 had some issues which in my case never made it "unplayable" it was still a pretty inspiring game to say the least. Maybe a bit too ambitious for 2009 but it's 2020 now so...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

It's different but worse and less developed. Even if the Sims 3 had some issues which in my case never made it "unplayable" it was still a pretty inspiring game to say the least. Maybe a bit too ambitious for 2009 but it's 2020 now so...

Ultimately, I would say that it very much comes down to personal assessment. I disagree on the worse and less developed part. Sims 4 is so much more complex and detailed in terms of animations and graphics. Without mods, TS3 is unplayable for me if I want all all my favorite packs installed. Right now, I have invisible Sims and Sims sunken into the ground everywhere and things have started to duplicate in some of my Sims' inventory. Sims 3's quality is overrated.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Ultimately, I would say that it very much comes down to personal assessment. I disagree on the worse and less developed part. Sims 4 is so much more complex and detailed in terms of animations and graphics. Without mods, TS3 is unplayable for me if I want all all my favorite packs installed. Right now, I have invisible Sims and Sims sunken into the ground everywhere and things have started to duplicate in some of my Sims' inventory. Sims 3's quality is overrated.

It still has double the content than the Sims 4 with less packs. Many more innovative ideas and tons of animations.
    The Sims 4 basically has the same animation for all the talk interactions. And they are reusing animations more than rarely.
    The only thing the Sims 3 doesn't have it's better graphics and that's because it's from 2009.
    Also wanna know about all the bugs I have in the Sims 4 which is less complex than the Sims 3?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

It still has double the content than the Sims 4 with less packs. Many more innovative ideas and tons of animations.
    The Sims 4 basically has the same animation for all the talk interactions. And they are reusing animations more than rarely.
    The only thing the Sims 3 doesn't have it's better graphics and that's because it's from 2009.
    Also wanna know about all the bugs I have in the Sims 4 which is less complex than the Sims 3?

I have both games myself and I have played them both for years. I highly doubt that any of them has a big issue I haven't come across yet. So, let's call it a day, because we can discuss from now on until forever and still not agree on certain things.

• Would have to agree, TS3 gives you more bang for your buck, the graphics are a bit outdated, but there is so much to do than the sims 4. Even the sims 2 has more content and inspiration than TS4. But again that's just me.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    The thing that bugs me most is, they knew what we wanted and still chose to go with experiments and whatever they felt like doing They likely knew that we've been begging for them to listen to us more. For years. It feels like they only wrote this up because they couldn't get away with ignoring us anymore. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd be fine continuing on how they have been.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Are they infact obligated to listen to the players more? I mean, for real, if we put aside all emotions for a moment.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    Thank you so much for this.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2020
    Not happy. I'm not going to lie, I waited to "watch together" gamescom opening night to see 2 SW announcements before Journey to Batuu.

It's not like we were born yesterday, as we say in my mother language. Most simmers have put up with the current bugs and missing things in the game (I mean things present in Sims 1 to 3) because we're fidelity players of the franchise.

The latest GP feels like a blatant publicity stunt for Disney Orlando's latest shiny addition. You could have at least tried to hide it a bit! Ie: Build on Sixam (and add some SW stuff) or New skintones for human and aliens sims alike! Or whatever.

We didn't ask for it. You know we didn't ask for it and are only aknowledging it afer the poor reception it got. You aren't even being honest! You knew it wouldn't have a heartfelt welcome since the moment the icon was "leaked"!

And now you're only being half honest. Well, lesson learnt. I own all Sims games and expansions and plenty of SW games (as well as other franchises like Star citizen, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock...). I've even got hamster and should have been included with the GP (aka my first pet SP) but I won't be buying Journey to Baatu.

It seems like Maxis' developers listen to us simmers but good old overlord EA couldn't care less. So, lesson learnt, see you when you actually publish something that simmers have wanted at anytime. Any group of simmers! I'm not excited about supernatural stuff but I'd welcome it before any SW thing fully knowing that plenty of simmers have been asking for underwater, werewolves, Sixam, Happy Haunts, etc for a long time now.

Edit: phone ranting, my screen isn't as responsive as I'd like.
    Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!
  • > @Nindigo said:
    > Are they infact obligated to listen to the players more? I mean, for real, if we put aside all emotions for a moment.

Actually it would be good on their front to listen to their consumer, course they don't have to. But in their best interests and good business practices it is. I mean, wouldn't you like to be listened to? And treated as a valued customer???
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2020
    Are they infact obligated to listen to the players more? I mean, for real, if we put aside all emotions for a moment.

If they listened more, they could turn a lot of negativity into positivity. Regular engagement with the community would grant a lot of clarity, clear up confusion and set expectations, meaning there would be less charged disappointment and emotion surrounding packs particular people or crowds don't want/aren't interested in.

There would be less complaining, and subsequently less complaining about the complaining.

Learning what your user base wants, and then working to give them what they want is called customer service, it's a thing that EA has been bad at for a while now.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    edited September 2020
    You know what announcement would be groundbreaking news?

"We're sorry but we won't be publishing any pack next. Instead we're working hard on fixing all the bugs you've been telling us about"

I know it's supposed to be expected but, hey! Sims' team said they're listening and I feel it's past time they addressed it.
    Happy simming!
    haneul wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Any of you ever consider reading it, and accepting it at face value as an honest attempt to explain matters and manage expectations? Because that's how it reads to me. You all want transparency, ignore it when we get it, and accuse the developers of lying when they try to engage. This is a more thoughtful, measured response than this community deserves.

Unfortunately, not all of them can be pleased.Ever. Before it was "why dont they address the uproar?" then its "oh well, i dont buy this." and jeering and laughing. Just the way it is in this "fanbase".

We are not fans. We're customers. They're providing us a service that we pay for.

I would consider us fans as well. We don't have to buy The Sims like we do toilet paper.

• > @Nindigo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I would consider us fans as well. We don't have to buy The Sims like we do toilet paper.

But we are paying for a product.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    If I had a dime for every time an EA employee said "we hear you" I could get the next 6 packs for free.

😂😂😂

They hear us..., but do they listen? 🤔🤔🤔👌👌😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • TyrAVBTyrAVB Posts: 53 Member
    > @Nushka said:
    > You know what announcement would be groundbreaking news?
    >
    > "We're sorry but we won't be publishing any pack next. Instead we're working hard on fixing all the bugs you've been telling us about"
    >
    > I know it's supposed to be expected but, hey! Sims' team said they're listening and I feel it's past time they addressed it.

That will never happen...That would mean spending time on fixing a product they already sold instead of spending it on new products they can get new money from...

They don't have to, if they don't want our money.
    832XG3D.gif
    TyrAVB wrote: »
    > @Nushka said:
    > You know what announcement would be groundbreaking news?
    >
    > "We're sorry but we won't be publishing any pack next. Instead we're working hard on fixing all the bugs you've been telling us about"
    >
    > I know it's supposed to be expected but, hey! Sims' team said they're listening and I feel it's past time they addressed it.

That will never happen...That would mean spending time on fixing a product they already sold instead of spending it on new products they can get new money from...

I'm saddened by that fact. I feel we should have the agency to hold EA accountable for a faulty product. I mean, I bought a fridge last month. Full pay upfront! And I still expect it to work as advertised for at least until warranty expires or there'll be hell to pay.

Why can't we hold software companies up to the same degree of accoutability?
    Happy simming!
    > @Nindigo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I would consider us fans as well. We don't have to buy The Sims like we do toilet paper.

But we are paying for a product.

Yes. I'm not against listening to customer requests - doing so would only help their sales. I'm just not sure about how much we can expect from them. I think it would probably be an okay thing to not expect a whole lot and be careful what one tosses their money after. To throw a lot of money their way and then expect a super service doesn't strike me as a super strategy. Looking back, I don't think EA's business model is going to change significantly any time soon. I think it would be better to look at what to expect first and then spend one's money.

haneul wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Any of you ever consider reading it, and accepting it at face value as an honest attempt to explain matters and manage expectations? Because that's how it reads to me. You all want transparency, ignore it when we get it, and accuse the developers of lying when they try to engage. This is a more thoughtful, measured response than this community deserves.

Unfortunately, not all of them can be pleased.Ever. Before it was "why dont they address the uproar?" then its "oh well, i dont buy this." and jeering and laughing. Just the way it is in this "fanbase".

We are not fans. We're customers. They're providing us a service that we pay for.

I disagree with this. We're not paying for a service or a subscription for the game (unless you use Origin Access or something). What you already bought is what you already have. Now, I know I don't like it when people say, "If you don't like the pack, then don't buy it". But over here, we are not paying the devs monthly or in advance to create the next pack. (I mean, technically, indirectly, we are cuz we are funding them in a sense, but I think you get what I mean). 😅

Ultimately, it is still your choice whether you want to buy the DLCs or not. So, I wouldn't really call it that we're paying for a service.😂
    832XG3D.gif