Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    I wonder if we will be fed the same narrative of MFPS that this is one of the most popular and best selling packs which proves players are interested in this content... :D

I'm still waiting on the numbers to confirm that BS. I wanna actually see how the sales for that pack compare to ones that weren't universally despised.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    I wonder if we will be fed the same narrative of MFPS that this is one of the most popular and best selling packs which proves players are interested in this content... :D
    It will be on discount in a week or so.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    logion wrote: »
    For everyone who joins this thread, welcome.

We don't hate the game, we just wish it could be better.

I don’t have an issue with the game itself per sé, but this pack, it hurts. It hurts real bad. But I know a lot of people do have an issue with the game, and I respect that. I only have an issue when it turns into calling the devs names and simmers like me who do enjoy it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    For everyone who joins this thread, welcome.

We don't hate the game, we just wish it could be better.

I don’t have an issue with the game itself per sé, but this pack, it hurts. It hurts real bad. But I know a lot of people do have an issue with the game, and I respect that. I only have an issue when it turns into calling the devs names and simmers like me who do enjoy it.

I agree, I don't like when that happens either.

I think the people here on this forum still cares about the sims4, they would not post about it otherwise. We are all simmers here.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

I got lucky and got almost all the stuff I wanted in the pack but I do have on big gripe.

I wish I could plonk down a sales table and sell stuff there, that would have been great for me. I was never planning on doing missions on every sim but then I think that I am not representative for every simmer. I just really like the world, and the B&B. We will see what mods and stuff can do. I might not even be able to do it with the TOOL-mod, I mean placing it is one thing but actually starting a sell-event is different. Oh well.

Cheers!
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Komura wrote: »

This is the thing that is worse than I assumed and is really sub par to me. The alien costumes should change ALL of the sims skin so it's usable in all outfit categories. Merely changing the extremities severely limits game play. If it changed the entire skin players could pretend they really are aliens.
    I'd expect each alien type to fully cover the entire skin and come in every skin tone available.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

This is the thing that is worse than I assumed and is really sub par to me. The alien costumes should change ALL of the sims skin so it's usable in all outfit categories. Merely changing the extremities severely limits game play. If it changed the entire skin players could pretend they really are aliens.
    I'd expect each alien type to fully cover the entire skin and come in every skin tone available.

Hmm.... I have a theory.

I do not think it is Star Wars Lore that every alien race has a human body. If there was a Star Wars game with alien heads on human bodies it would be breaking the rules for that race. There is not a correct body-model for each alien race so they get super-correct face and the in order to remind us that this is not what they look like, they get a reminder that they are stand-ins. Would have been fun with correct body models for each alien race but I don’t know how much extra work that would have been.

Just my theory. Cover them up like modest sims, is the best way I guess.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

I really wonder what will happen if we place a pool on one of the lots on Batuu, will the sims jump into the pool and look like...that?
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    I can’t believe I am in here saying this, but I agree with all of you. As a long time Star Wars fan girl, and a more recent Sims fan girl the disappointment I feel surrounding this pack is so real it’s painful. I have every single dlc released so far including the notorious MFPS, and have bought every single one them on release. But, this, I can’t justify this, not a full price anyway. I don’t blame the devs either. I place the blame squarely on Disney’s doorstep.

As I said, Star Wars and I go all the way back to opening night of A New Hope, and when I heard Disney bought the franchise I nearly wept for just this reason. They rule their magic kingdom with an iron fist. They tightly control their image, and marketing to the point of suffocating most creativity so this collab was doomed from the start.

The silence of the devs on Twitter, the lack of a livestream all speaks to me of contractual obligation over this being any kind of a passion project for them, and notice they aren’t full throatedly defending it either. I am sure by contract they can’t speak against it, or even gives us much behind the scenes info on the dev process because no doubt they are tied into an ironclad Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). Even if some of them love Star Wars, which I know for a fact from Twitter several do, as I and many others do I am sure as I am typing this that they had to let Disney check and quadruple check every single aspect to ensure it fit into their narrow little box that is a Disney product.

So now what we have is an extraordinarily lackluster, likely un-mod-able pack that has no element of The Sims trademark sandbox gameplay at all. I mean even Strangerville, which I personally still enjoy playing, my bet is Disney didn’t so much collaborate as dictate exactly how this pack would be. You can bet your land speeder they researched every aspect of TS4 and the GC program and the community as whole, and made absolutely certain that only certain GCs got access, those most likely to give a positive review and the highest number of subs, and made sure that no hanky pinky whatsoever would befall their characters as much as possible and their world couldn’t be altered.

The fact that Plumbella skewered them is probably going to shock the shoes off of them because she probably got early access due to her willingness to play occult and fantasy game styles and her large fan base.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy Disney movies and show even at my advanced age, but seriously they are the least creative, most formulaic “artistic” corporation on the planet. You always know what you’re getting with them, no surprises, none. But, this is a crying shame in my opinion because I honestly believe if the devs had been given their usual free reign on creativity especially the ones who love Star Wars this game pack would have been amazing. The GPS are almost consistently the best dlc in this series but this one falls way short.

We can love SW and still hate this pack.

I won’t say I hate it, but I cannot fully express how deeply disappointing it is. I am not kidding when I say this one hurts, in my soul. 😞. But, I am not surprised when I think what happened to the quality of a lot of the SW movies once Disney got their hands on them too.

I refuse to watch ANY of Star Wars post-Lucas... And after what they did to Mara Jade in the books.
    Lotf-sacrifice.jpg
    After this Traviss-ty of a book; it was pretty much a "Mess with Mara, It's hasta-la-vista, baby..." Star Wars isn't getting another credit (Star Wars Currency) outta me.

...and @Pamtastic72 - yep, I'm old enough to remember Star Wars opening night too. "A New Hope". In fact old enough that I remember it when it was still called just "Star Wars"

OMG I don't even read those books and I knew not to mess with Mara Jade.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I just want to say I refuse to accept this guy isn't canon in the Star Wars universe:
    latest?cb=20080801062324

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was the first Star Wars game I played and it was in fact the reason I became a fan of Star Wars.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I was checking out James’s review and THERE.....ARE.....NO.....LOTS ?! What the 🌺🌺🌺🌺 ??

~ Yes, sadly, it’s not even build able. That “could” have been the one upside of this pack, but alas.

You can edit them, but you can't make it a home lot. I think it works the same as Magic HQ in Realm of Magic.

https://youtu.be/XITnx29jrSE?t=1093
    (I linked to the exact moment he says it so you don't have to watch the entire video)
    Gordy wrote: »
    The best part about the alien costumes is that they don't cover up the whole body. Forget having a believable SW alien family, because the second they change to swimwear or outerwear, the illusion is broken.

Thanks, devs.

How on earth is this pack going to work with seasons and the hot and cold weather outfits?

I will guarantee you the reason they are not characters but costumes that are changed out of is a Disney decision. To preserve the wholesome image of its characters. This way as characters they cannot be subjected to “family unfriendly” mods shall we say? They cannot be on YouTube or Twitch engaged in unsavory activities. Disney has a very tight hold on its image and marketing and I will eat my hat if I am wrong about this which we may never know because I am sure the devs are under a non disclosure agreement about a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

“Create your own Star Wars story” is a lie then. Because we can’t really create & play how we want . We have to play by Disney standards. So why they decided this would be a good pack/brand to Partner with is beyond me.

Disney owns Star Wars, and EA has a contract with them to generate content in their games, and full on games under the Star Wars banner. My gut tells me that this is 80% had to and 20% wanted to. They may have been excited by the initial concept but I bet once Disney put their famous stranglehold on the devs creativity it was like “let’s just make the best we can of it”.

You may be right. But I think they could of done more. Why leave our the opportunity of adding a Jedi / sith occult? At least that would of made the pack worth it for me. Can we even use the guns we saw on the trailer? This pack is just too kid friendly for me.

Because @Justin, making them occults means risking them appearing in YouTube & Twitch videos as well as other forums in shall we say compromising positions created by mods we aren’t allowed to talk about, and 100% guarantee Disney made them put the kibash on that as much as possible. So instead they’re costumes that come off in certain situations so now it’s not Disney’s Star Wars character doing something naughty, it’s just Sim X in a costume.
    bixters wrote: »
    This thread has aged like fine wine! More and more people can see how lazy this pack really is. It’s wonderful :D

I would say constrained rather than lazy @bixsters. Given their usual creative control I have no doubt the devs would have given us a really amazing pack, but Disney has super strict rules as to what is allowed to be done with their copyrighted assets and I am certain they’re 90% responsible for the epic disappointment this pack is.

great more excuses to go "easy" on this team...nope. Not happening.
    Naus wrote: »
    This pack made me HATE The Sims 4 even more.

The Sims 4 is such a shallow "game." There's no immersion. No deep systems. No complexity. NOTHING. It's all about playing with your little fake emotionless dolls in a dollhouse, then buying a pack to play in a slightly different dollhouse, rinse and repeat.

I almost feel OFFENDED by the lack of gameplay in this pack. It's almost as if they believe they can sell us anything and we'll just shut up and give them our money. How dare they?! How dare they think this appalling awful pack is worth 20 USD? I rather pre-order Age of Empires III Definitive Edition (it's actually cheaper since I have 1 and 2 DE).

I'm FUMING right now. I know it doesn't make sense to be this upset about a pack but I see it as the final nail in the coffin of The Sims franchise. It shows such a disconnect between the people developing this game and what most simmers, especially OG simmers, want that I just can't fathom where we could go from here.

I'm so done. I just can't deal with this mediocrity anymore. With these awful packs for this awful base game. I just can't.

I feel your pain...
    And they are wanting MORE years of this dead game? ;-; Not when these types of packs are coming out.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    This pack just seems worse and worse every time I hear some new info about it - it's closer to a stuff pack with a world without lots tacked on.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • kenyamariekenyamarie Posts: 11 New Member
    I was excited to see a new game pack come out! Until I saw that it can only be downloaded from Steam!! And you have to buy all the packs etc... again! I guess Maxis sold us long time players out for new people and are making us pay for it! It is all about the money!! I cant and wont down load Star Wars!!
    edited September 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aymhhBRbFQ
    TL;DR version:

Don't expect any of this stuff, we've been asking to see for years, anytime soon. But, you know....enjoy your shallow Disney World park.

Though I guess I should be thankful that they went ahead and told everyone what not to expect. The transparency is appreciated, at least.
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    TL;DR version:

Don't expect any of this stuff, we've been asking to see for years, anytime soon.

IKR? :(
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    TL;DR version:

Don't expect any of this stuff, we've been asking to see for years, anytime soon. But, you know....enjoy your shallow Disney World park.

Though I guess I should be thankful that they went ahead and told everyone what not to expect. The transparency is appreciated, at least.

Literally this, LOL. And the sad part is that they'll keep putting out shallow but expensive content that hardly anybody asks for because no matter what there's people who will defend them no matter if they like the pack or not and no matter how overpriced it is.

People keep saying that we should boycott EA and show them by not giving them money but it'll never work because there's always going to be those people who will always enjoy their shallow Disney world park with like 3 lots and like 10 interactable items total for 30$

200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
    edited September 2020
    And more power to them for enjoying it. That's their fun and far be it from me to say they're wrong. I tend to be a man of simple tastes, myself. I'm not mad at fans for being okay with getting less than what we got in the past....I'm mad at the game for giving us less than what we got in the past....And acting like giving us these things that they gave us before is some hard feat of ingenuity.

This game is overstuffed with DLC and yet past games still feel like they have more depth and content. Because quantity over quality is the name of the game for this iteration of The Sims.
  • elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    2QRdMWq

idk about y'all but this mans right here still gives me nightmares

He kinda reminds me of oldschool Spyro... Hmm...

32UOIDR

Just me...?

de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    2QRdMWq

idk about y'all but this mans right here still gives me nightmares

He kinda reminds me of oldschool Spyro... Hmm...

32UOIDR

Just me...?

Oh good god what IS THAT?!?!?!? WHAT...IS...THAT?!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    kenyamarie wrote: »
    I was excited to see a new game pack come out! Until I saw that it can only be downloaded from Steam!! And you have to buy all the packs etc... again! I guess Maxis sold us long time players out for new people and are making us pay for it! It is all about the money!! I cant and wont down load Star Wars!!

You do know you can download this GP from Origin don't you?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    so little effort was put into this pack . i actually want to scream. i never wanted this but d*yum! da*** 🌺🌺🌺🌺! (florida evans voice) . This is frustrating. content for this game trickles out sooo slowly and this is what they give us right now.

An awesome simply for bringing up Flo'. I feel you.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg