Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member

I understand the excitement from folks who are looking forward to this pack, but...the cynical side of me fails to see how this is such a great thing. So...this Star Wars pack has more content than any other Sims pack? Okay... go off, i guess...

Also I do genuinely feel bad for folks who wanted to have a family/relationship with the canon characters. Another storytelling opportunity snatched away 😢 And sure there will be a mod (trust me, us fangirls have a fiery passion for our husbandos/waifus that even The Force™ couldn't hope to comprehend), but...like myself I'm sure, there are lots of folks who don't like to play with mods -- don't like to have to play with mods.
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I was checking out James’s review and THERE.....ARE.....NO.....LOTS ?! What the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ??
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited September 2020
    LemDoodle wrote: »

I understand the excitement from folks who are looking forward to this pack, but...the cynical side of me fails to see how this is such a great thing. So...this Star Wars pack has more content than any other Sims pack? Okay... go off, i guess...

Also I do genuinely feel bad for folks who wanted to have a family/relationship with the canon characters. Another storytelling opportunity snatched away 😢 And sure there will be a mod (trust me, us fangirls have a fiery passion for our husbandos/waifus that even The Force™ couldn't hope to comprehend), but...like myself I'm sure, there are lots of folks who don't like to play with mods -- don't like to have to play with mods.

This is not really a complaint or anything but I don’t understand the purpose of debug mode. Why aren’t the objects just present in normal B/B from the get-go. I mean I know it’s just a matter of a simple cheat, but it confuses me and I have anxieties about accessing it lol.

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

This is not really a complaint or anything but I don’t understand the purpose of debug mode. Why aren’t the objects just present in normal B/B from the get-go. I mean I know it’s just a matter of a simple cheat, but it confuses me and I have anxieties about accessing it lol.

Debug items are meant for window dressing the world, so the sims often don't interact with them as expected, or see them at all. For example, there's fences in debug but the sims will just walk right through them. Others are less detailed such as some hedges or trees meant to be seen from far away.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

Debug items are meant for window dressing the world, so the sims often don't interact with them as expected, or see them at all. For example, there's fences in debug but the sims will just walk right through them. Others are less detailed such as some hedges or trees meant to be seen from far away.

Ohh wow interesting. I see people use them in builds a lot but no one ever mentions that kind of stuff like walking through them.
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    [quote="Dianesims;c-17643772"]I was checking out James’s review and THERE.....ARE.....NO.....LOTS ?! What the 🌺🌺🌺🌺 ?? [/quote]

~ Yes, sadly, it’s not even build able. That “could” have been the one upside of this pack, but alas.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2020
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I was checking out James’s review and THERE.....ARE.....NO.....LOTS ?! What the 🌺🌺🌺🌺 ??

~ Yes, sadly, it’s not even build able. That “could” have been the one upside of this pack, but alas.

You can edit them, but you can't make it a home lot. I think it works the same as Magic HQ in Realm of Magic.

https://youtu.be/XITnx29jrSE?t=1093
    (I linked to the exact moment he says it so you don't have to watch the entire video)
    Gordy wrote: »
    The best part about the alien costumes is that they don't cover up the whole body. Forget having a believable SW alien family, because the second they change to swimwear or outerwear, the illusion is broken.

Thanks, devs.

How on earth is this pack going to work with seasons and the hot and cold weather outfits?
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member

It’s basically a stuff pack. Lol I want gameplay depth not cosmetic items. Smh. Good flex he tried to do though
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I was checking out James’s review and THERE.....ARE.....NO.....LOTS ?! What the 🌺🌺🌺🌺 ??

You can edit them, but you can't make it a home lot. I think it works the same as Magic HQ in Realm of Magic.

(I linked to the exact moment he says it so you don't have to watch the entire video)
    The best part about the alien costumes is that they don't cover up the whole body. Forget having a believable SW alien family, because the second they change to swimwear or outerwear, the illusion is broken.

Thanks, devs.

How on earth is this pack going to work with seasons and the hot and cold weather outfits?

I will guarantee you the reason they are not characters but costumes that are changed out of is a Disney decision. To preserve the wholesome image of its characters. This way as characters they cannot be subjected to “family unfriendly” mods shall we say? They cannot be on YouTube or Twitch engaged in unsavory activities. Disney has a very tight hold on its image and marketing and I will eat my hat if I am wrong about this which we may never know because I am sure the devs are under a non disclosure agreement about a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.
  • elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Justin wrote: »

It’s basically a stuff pack. Lol I want gameplay depth not cosmetic items. Smh. Good flex he tried to do though

I think the worst part is being pretty much certain that once we get another actual Sims GP, it'll go back to the "normal" amount of items, rather than trying to match what was delivered in this pack. Again, super cool for the Star Wars crowd that's looking forward to it, but... For the rest of us...urgh.

I am not ashamed to admit that as I'm watching Vixella place item after item after item, I am getting saltier and saltier lol. Where was this effort in...y'know...the Sims packs?

As for the gameplay, I'm sure the more you level up the more gameplay you'll get right? ...It's not looking like it. So far all I'm seeing is "go here and talk to this Sim," "go here and interact with this rabbithole," and that's...like...it. I could definitely be wrong, but that's my first impression from the Game Changer vids I've been watching.
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
    edited September 2020

Thanks, devs.

I will guarantee you the reason they are not characters but costumes that are changed out of is a Disney decision. To preserve the wholesome image of its characters. This way as characters they cannot be subjected to “family unfriendly” mods shall we say? They cannot be on YouTube or Twitch engaged in unsavory activities. Disney has a very tight hold on its image and marketing and I will eat my hat if I am wrong about this which we may never know because I am sure the devs are under a non disclosure agreement about a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

“Create your own Star Wars story” is a lie then. Because we can’t really create & play how we want . We have to play by Disney standards. So why they decided this would be a good pack/brand to Partner with is beyond me.
    edited September 2020

Thanks, devs.

Huh, it's almost like Star Wars did not work for the sims4.
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    I can’t believe I am in here saying this, but I agree with all of you. As a long time Star Wars fan girl, and a more recent Sims fan girl the disappointment I feel surrounding this pack is so real it’s painful. I have every single dlc released so far including the notorious MFPS, and have bought every single one them on release. But, this, I can’t justify this, not at full price anyway. I don’t blame the devs either. I place the blame squarely on Disney’s doorstep.

As I said, Star Wars and I go all the way back to opening night of A New Hope, and when I heard Disney bought the franchise I nearly wept for just this reason. They rule their magic kingdom with an iron fist. They tightly control their image, and marketing to the point of suffocating most creativity so this collab was doomed from the start.

The silence of the devs on Twitter, the lack of a livestream all speaks to me of contractual obligation over this being any kind of a passion project for them, and notice they aren’t full throatedly defending it either. I am sure by contract they can’t speak against it, or even gives us much behind the scenes info on the dev process because no doubt they are tied into an ironclad Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). Even if some of them love Star Wars, which I know for a fact from Twitter several do, as I and many others do I am sure as I am typing this that they had to let Disney check and quadruple check every single aspect to ensure it fit into their narrow little box that is a Disney product.

So now what we have is an extraordinarily lackluster, likely un-mod-able pack that has no element of The Sims trademark sandbox gameplay at all. I mean even Strangerville, which I personally still enjoy playing has a heavy sandbox element to it, my bet is Disney didn’t so much collaborate as dictate exactly how this pack would be. You can bet your land speeder they researched every aspect of TS4 and the GC program and the community as whole, and made absolutely certain that only certain GCs got access, those most likely to give a positive review and the highest number of subs, and made sure that no hanky pinky whatsoever would befall their characters as much as possible and their world couldn’t be altered.

The fact that Plumbella skewered them is probably going to shock the shoes off of them because she probably got early access due to her willingness to play occult and fantasy game styles and her large fan base.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy Disney movies and shows even at my advanced age, but seriously they are the least creative, most formulaic “artistic” corporation on the planet. You always know what you’re getting with them, no surprises, none. But, this is a crying shame in my opinion because I honestly believe if the devs had been given their usual free reign on creativity especially the ones who love Star Wars, this game pack would have been amazing. The GPS are almost consistently the best dlc in this series but this one falls way short.

Star Wars fan and a Disney annual pass holder here, own every DLC from Sims too. I wouldn’t put this Disney Star Wars advertisement in my game if it were free.
    Komura wrote: »
    I can’t believe I am in here saying this, but I agree with all of you. As a long time Star Wars fan girl, and a more recent Sims fan girl the disappointment I feel surrounding this pack is so real it’s painful. I have every single dlc released so far including the notorious MFPS, and have bought every single one them on release. But, this, I can’t justify this, not at full price anyway. I don’t blame the devs either. I place the blame squarely on Disney’s doorstep.

As I said, Star Wars and I go all the way back to opening night of A New Hope, and when I heard Disney bought the franchise I nearly wept for just this reason. They rule their magic kingdom with an iron fist. They tightly control their image, and marketing to the point of suffocating most creativity so this collab was doomed from the start.

The silence of the devs on Twitter, the lack of a livestream all speaks to me of contractual obligation over this being any kind of a passion project for them, and notice they aren’t full throatedly defending it either. I am sure by contract they can’t speak against it, or even gives us much behind the scenes info on the dev process because no doubt they are tied into an ironclad Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). Even if some of them love Star Wars, which I know for a fact from Twitter several do, as I and many others do I am sure as I am typing this that they had to let Disney check and quadruple check every single aspect to ensure it fit into their narrow little box that is a Disney product.

So now what we have is an extraordinarily lackluster, likely un-mod-able pack that has no element of The Sims trademark sandbox gameplay at all. I mean even Strangerville, which I personally still enjoy playing has a heavy sandbox element to it, my bet is Disney didn’t so much collaborate as dictate exactly how this pack would be. You can bet your land speeder they researched every aspect of TS4 and the GC program and the community as whole, and made absolutely certain that only certain GCs got access, those most likely to give a positive review and the highest number of subs, and made sure that no hanky pinky whatsoever would befall their characters as much as possible and their world couldn’t be altered.

The fact that Plumbella skewered them is probably going to shock the shoes off of them because she probably got early access due to her willingness to play occult and fantasy game styles and her large fan base.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy Disney movies and shows even at my advanced age, but seriously they are the least creative, most formulaic “artistic” corporation on the planet. You always know what you’re getting with them, no surprises, none. But, this is a crying shame in my opinion because I honestly believe if the devs had been given their usual free reign on creativity especially the ones who love Star Wars, this game pack would have been amazing. The GPS are almost consistently the best dlc in this series but this one falls way short.

Star Wars fan and a Disney annual pass holder here, own every DLC from Sims too. I wouldn’t put this Disney Star Wars advertisement in my game if it were free.

Fair enough. As I said in an earlier post replying to a comment on my long post that you quoted here, I feel the disappointment on this pack in my soul.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Also did they serious just animate those mask mouth for the gameplay trailer? I bet the lips don't move for real.

Fair enough. As I said in an earlier post replying to a comment on my long post that you quoted here, I feel the disappointment on this pack in my soul.

If they would have improved the game over all of those years, then I might have liked this pack a bit more.

But when I look at this, I just see the sims medieval in terms of gameplay mechanics, a game that they made 9 years ago.
    edited September 2020

I think the worst part is being pretty much certain that once we get another actual Sims GP, it'll go back to the "normal" amount of items, rather than trying to match what was delivered in this pack. Again, super cool for the Star Wars crowd that's looking forward to it, but... For the rest of us...urgh.

I am not ashamed to admit that as I'm watching Vixella place item after item after item, I am getting saltier and saltier lol. Where was this effort in...y'know...the Sims packs?

As for the gameplay, I'm sure the more you level up the more gameplay you'll get right? ...It's not looking like it. So far all I'm seeing is "go here and talk to this Sim," "go here and interact with this rabbithole," and that's...like...it. I could definitely be wrong, but that's my first impression from the Game Changer vids I've been watching.

Yeah that’s all there really is to do from what I’ve seen. I don’t understand how this will be fun for anyone. Even as a Star Wars fan this is a disappointment & offers nothing good. And on top of that everything is recycle animations of previous pack. For him to say this has more cas & bb objects for a game pack is something that should be in EVERY pack. If I wanted a stuff pack I would pay for one. But if I’m paying for a gamepack or expansion I’m expecting depth. This pack does not have that. Watch the gameplay without any VO & you’ll see how there is literally noting this pack offers.

Thanks, devs.

“Create your own Star Wars story” is a lie then. Because we can’t really create & play how we want . We have to play by Disney standards. So why they decided this would be a good pack/brand to Partner with is beyond me.

Disney owns Star Wars, and EA has a contract with them to generate content in their games, and full on games under the Star Wars banner. My gut tells me that this is 80% had to and 20% wanted to. They may have been excited by the initial concept but I bet once Disney put their famous stranglehold on the devs creativity it was like “let’s just make the best we can of it”.
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member

I was agreeing with you!! I feel the disappointment too, It’s actually upset me more than I thought a sims 4 pack ever could.

Thanks, devs.

Disney owns Star Wars, and EA has a contract with them to generate content in their games, and full on games under the Star Wars banner. My gut tells me that this is 80% had to and 20% wanted to. They may have been excited by the initial concept but I bet once Disney put their famous stranglehold on the devs creativity it was like “let’s just make the best we can of it”.

You may be right. But I think they could of done more. Why leave our the opportunity of adding a Jedi / sith occult? At least that would of made the pack worth it for me. Can we even use the guns we saw on the trailer? This pack is just too kid friendly for me.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    The reviews made it look so bad. Plumbella was spot on, I recommend the video she made
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    This thread has aged like fine wine! More and more people can see how lazy this pack really is. It’s wonderful :D

I love when we are right in the first place :3.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Well this pack looks like a hot mess.
    But we kinda thought that :p
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer (Not to derail the thread) but for the longest time whenever I saw your signature image, I always thought the chick was sitting on the toilet, I just looked again and she's actually roasting a hotdog or marshmallows or something! LOL