Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    Given recent developments, the past "but realism" excuses kinda irk me a little more. Like...so now we don't want the game to be realistic? I'm confused on the priorities and the future direction of the game. Seems almost like it's realistic when that's convenient, and "a grand unrealistic adventure" when that's convenient. Almost like they're going back on what they've said in the past. (Imagine that!)

Another thing that bugs me (definitely a nitpick tho) is the fact that "Star Wars" comes before "The Sims" in the title. At least in the trailer and a lot of the promotional stuff I've seen. Kinda speaks volumes in my opinion 🤔 Even the Moschino collab had "The Sims" before Moschino...

I noticed that too, the whole pack is totally different. The others it's SIMS 4 in a large font with the name under it. This one is Journey to Batuu in a large font with Sims 4 very small underneath it
    Khj7Oix.png
    Exaaactly. It almost seems like they're trying to hide it, which would be a shame. I'm wondering if maybe it's so that Star Wars fans who are new to the Sims will see the "Star Wars" part first, then find out later (after purchase preferably of course, amirite EA?) they have to also buy the base game.

I just hope there won't be too many folks disappointed when they have to go back to "boring" Sims worlds (not saying I think they're boring or anything, but they're definitely not Batuu)! Instead, I'm hoping that it will wind up doing what (I think) they want, which is to bring more players to the Sims who will genuinely enjoy the game...not just the Star Wars part!

I know that it's a Sims game, but the arrangement of the titles just makes it feel like it's a Star Wars game first, and a Sims game second. And, again, that's a cryin' shame. ...And I know that's all just pure speculation on my part, but...eh. Speculate I can, so speculate I shall!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited September 2020
    Given recent developments, the past "but realism" excuses kinda irk me a little more. Like...so now we don't want the game to be realistic? I'm confused on the priorities and the future direction of the game. Seems almost like it's realistic when that's convenient, and "a grand unrealistic adventure" when that's convenient. Almost like they're going back on what they've said in the past. (Imagine that!)

Another thing that bugs me (definitely a nitpick tho) is the fact that "Star Wars" comes before "The Sims" in the title. At least in the trailer and a lot of the promotional stuff I've seen. Kinda speaks volumes in my opinion 🤔 Even the Moschino collab had "The Sims" before Moschino...

I noticed that too, the whole pack is totally different. The others it's SIMS 4 in a large font with the name under it. This one is Journey to Batuu in a large font with Sims 4 very small underneath it
    Khj7Oix.png
    Exaaactly. It almost seems like they're trying to hide it, which would be a shame. I'm wondering if maybe it's so that Star Wars fans who are new to the Sims will see the "Star Wars" part first, then find out later (after purchase preferably of course, amirite EA?) they have to also buy the base game.

I just hope there won't be too many folks disappointed when they have to go back to "boring" Sims worlds (not saying I think they're boring or anything, but they're definitely not Batuu)! Instead, I'm hoping that it will wind up doing what (I think) they want, which is to bring more players to the Sims who will genuinely enjoy the game...not just the Star Wars part!

I know that it's a Sims game, but the arrangement of the titles just makes it feel like it's a Star Wars game first, and a Sims game second. And, again, that's a cryin' shame. ...And I know that's all just pure speculation on my part, but...eh. Speculate I can, so speculate I shall!

I agree with this. I think I've gone on maybe two camping trips and bought Outdoor Retreat the year it was released.
    I don't have Jungle adventures yet, but I think I'll get this one before i get that one.
    I think half the people aren't quite getting this pack yet and the one's that do are mad because it's blatantly advertising the theme parks.

For anyone that hasn't been, go to Youtube there are plenty of people that will take you on a guided tour of Galaxy's Edge and show you what the game will kinda look like. I'm thinking (Hoping) they do a TS2 style cut scene that uses clips from the actual ride when Sims enter the Falcon

They aren't bringing Star Wars universe to the Sims, they are bringing their branded theme park to the Sims.
    This explains why the aliens wear masks. They are just actors in the park, making it easier to integrate into a normal Sims save file.
    Except they are Sims...so they get to be a bit more immersive blending the lines between theme park reality and Sims reality...which is why they cut to the Sim paining a portrait on her front lawn...to show you it's really just a "Total Recall" style vacation.

I'm here for it. That place (Galaxy's Edge) looks like a blast hope to go someday.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    MtrMt5x.jpg
    I feel ya girl.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I feel so many things about this new pack. It's really disappointing.

I know it hasn't been released yet and throwing out feedback on a not yet released pack is taboo, and I'm usually one of the ones to give a new pack a chance, but this one? No. I'm not paying full price to be advertised to.

I'm a long time sims player, when I first started playing I think sims 2 had only just been released and I had started on the original sims games. So I always look at what those first two games set a precedent for which is how I'm going to build my first look critique on this pack.

My first reaction to the original trailer on seeing the x-wing & millennium falcon wasn't excitement it was "oh so they can give us space ships but they can't give us cars." to which you might say "oh but driveable cars weren't ever in the base game" and you're right, they weren't. Personal cars were introduced in the sims 2 nightlife, BUT on that same note, there were still cars in the game dating right back to the original sims. As you progressed in your career you'd get car pools outside your house that gradually got better and better. If I remember correctly there were ice cream vans that would pull up as well as police, maids, and the fire department. So really a) car pools could have and should have been added to the game ages ago alongside pools and toddlers and b) personal cars should have been released in a pack like city living.

Now you might say, what does this have to do with the new star wars pack aside from complaining that we got x-wings before cars? Well here's my thinking, with every new world added to the game that's just another world the devs are going to have to update to integrate personal cars, or carpools. In my opinion at face value it shouldn't be too hard to add cars themselves into the game. After all if it could be done in the time of sims 1 & 2 why not now? But the task of updating all the previous worlds to make cars work properly? That's going to be a huge one since some of them don't have roads out the front of the house.

My next point is about the inclusion of Star Wars itself in the sims; I would have loved this if it was it's own standalone game like sims medieval. If of course they fleshed it out and made it a good star wars themed sims game. But it's not that it's a sims 4 pack. Which doesn't make much sense to me. Should they have done a space themed pack? Absolutely. As some have said the sims already has it's own aliens. Yes we can visit Sixam but a liveable Sixam themed world would have been fun. Maybe make a playable career where you can fly around the sims worlds you own and abduct sims in your space ship? I like a lot of others feel this represents neglecting things they could work with in their own franchise.

On the advertising front; again why should I pay like what is it? $20 to be advertised to? I live in Australia. The nearest Disney land is ages away so it's not like I'm going to be pursuaded to spend thousands of dollars on a trip overseas to visit an expensive theme park. So this is as ineffective as an advertisement for galaxies edge as it is a game.

Lastly for all the don't like it don't buy it people; although I aspired for 100% completion of my sims collection this time around, I'm actually not buying this one. Which really bums me out because I wanted all those icons filled in but oh well, what can I do I guess? But also, while you're right that if we don't like it we should speak with our wallets and not buy it, I feel like providing feedback about how bad an idea this was is important. I don't think any of us should stay quiet about giving feedback on any of their products just to maintain the facade of positivity. Plus from some of the screenshots I've seen the devs are absolutely not dealing with the negative feedback professionally. I work in customer service and I can say that if I dealt with bad feedback (whether it's warranted or not) like they are I probably wouldn't be in my job for much longer.

So what do I think they should do instead? Well they can't take back the pack or change it. It's already "finished" (I say this in quotations because it's probably either broken or will soon become broken but whatever pack they drop next) so it's getting released whether we like it or not. They've already sunk costs into this and while I'm not a big fan of the sunk cost fallacy, they have to make back whatever money they can or attempt to turn a profit. But I really think that they need to pause development on anything new and focus on fixing the game. And I don't just mean give us the things we've been asking for for years, I mean they also need to fix all the broken content and bugs in the game. Because again, at this point I've paid for every pack except this one and knitting and there's a lot of broken content throughout all the packs now. I paid good money for this it shouldn't be broken. In short I want them to take a quality over quantity approach.

The other thing they need to do is take feedback seriously and stop acting like it's a big joke? From what I've heard they're also acting like everyone is excited for the pack but the like to dislike ratio on both the release trailer and the game play trailer says otherwise. Yes I realise that some people are excited for it, but in this case they're the minority. It really just seems as if they're covering their ears so they don't have to hear what we're saying so to speak. Also while I realise that the survey everyone is talking about was not released by EA, it is still important to note that Star Wars is the least desired feature for this game.

I'll close out by saying that it's hard to see how this was motivated by giving simmers a good product that they would have wanted. I think that it was either a) motivated by that sweet sweet disney money or b) motivated by the devs putting what they want into the game regardless of what the fanbase wants.

And while I think passion projects are good, if they wanted to do a passion project perhaps they shouldn't be working on a game like the Sims.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Remember: This is a product placement pack from Disney, based 100% of the amusement park, NOT a location in the movies.
    It really should have been paid by Disney but instead we are expected to PAY for the honor of taking part in a commercial.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I have to say that it's nice that more people are finally acknowledging issues that have long existed in this game but I do hate that it took 6 years and a Star Wars pack to make it happen. This anger that players have that should lead to change may be too late depending on how much longer is left with The Sims 4. I think if more people spoke out sooner on all of these issues, held strong, and stayed on them instead of letting things slide this long the game would've probably been in a better place for more players to better receive this pack.

Just going through the comments under some of their YouTube and social media posts, for as much anger as there is I think there's more disappointment than anything. I know some people love painting the critics in a harsh light and only interpreting anger one way but some people are feeling ignored, cheated, and even a little foolish, unfortunately, for believing things would've improved by now. They're feeling pessimistic, angry and fed up because of it. Some of them have believed in this game, touted it's potential, gave them multiple chances, defended it and the gurus, and even downplayed the very same issues they're now saying should've been addressed before a Star Wars pack was ever considered.

I just wish people hadn't downplayed or looked the other way on those issues and spoke out sooner. Things should've improved by now and some of us have been saying these things for years but not everyone who agreed was or remained vocal enough about those things until recently. Some didn't want to rock the boat too much if at all, and kept saying "give them time" but now the time they've had exceeds the lifespans of all the previous games. It turned 6 years old yesterday. I think besides toddlers that the issue of skin tones is the only other time I've seen even players whose game it didn't majorly affect back the affected players up and even that took half a decade and a TV show. You of course had the players in both situations who felt 'doesn't impact me, so I don't care' but I wish we as a community backed each other up and pushed for better out of The Sims team in general. We'd either have a better game by now or more would've known sooner not to bother hoping for it.

Also, it's felt to me for a long while now like some simmers don't want the game to be better overall, just better for them alone or like-minded simmers to the point that improving areas that actually are poor or lacking in the game is deemed unnecessary and anyone who has an issue with it is somehow selfish.

For example, the game's main thing is it's a life simulator. In my family, the only time a baby is in a crib is when they're asleep because that baby is going to be around the family being held and played with. Now just because that's my experience in life doesn't mean that's the experience of everyone. Someone else's experience in life with babies may be the exact same as The Sims 4, I don't know, but isn't the easiest way for both of us to live out those experiences to add more options so babies can be carried around? It should be a win, win. If you want, your gameplay remains completely unchanged. You don't have to have your sims go grab the baby and carry them around but people who do want that benefit from the improvement. I don't think that's a selfish thing for someone to want a life simulator to be improved to tell their life stories, especially when it's not outside of the realm they usually work in, like say extreme violence or drugs.

Now if it's simply a matter of not trusting them to do it right that's a whole other thing and I understand the concern but I wish more players would acknowledge it and still push the them to do better by us as a whole. Then again I don't even think some players realize just how much it seems like don't trust The Sims team to do something well. Most simmers just adapt and/or use mods. How many times has someone said something along the lines of, 'We don't need _______ because when they did it before ____________'? Brand new game, more limitations accepted because that's how they did something before in the previous game(s) so they can't possibly improve it years later in the newest, up to date version? So the best course of action is to leave it out or limit it, not improve it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    It's interesting that we are having this conversation on the heels of the (what third?) fan voted pack in the history of the franchise.
    It says a lot.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited September 2020
    I just saw in a tweet that there are NO empty lots in Batuu. What a disappointment for people that were interested in this pack! :'(:(
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I just saw in a tweet that there are NO empty lots in Batuu. What a disappointment for people that were interested in this pack! :'(:(

Yeah but I'm sure there will be lots of build/buy things in debug that people could use to create other "alternate universe" lots in different worlds.

Although it is crappy that you can't, for those that were hoping to be able to. But it's probably just like they said with San Myshuno, that if they allowed people to their own apartments then it would change the vision they had.
    If we had allowed the creation of apartment buildings from Build/Buy, we would not have been able to achieve the look we were going for.
    https://simsvip.com/2016/09/21/sims-4-city-living-simgurueugi-explains-apartment-limitations/

Plus, maybe Disney had a say in it since it's a replica of their theme park.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Saw Plumbella's review...Aliens are masks...No new traits.Half unlocking clothes AGAIN?.No! Horrible Kylo Ren textured mask. Can't make those aliens. Flying is a rabbit hole, most places in Batuu are a semi-rabbit hole OH and the world is half set dressing .....

FAIL!

They also disabled the “flirt” options for named characters, so no romantic relationships at all.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    Remember when one of the gurus said they were proud of this pack? Lol what’s there to be proud of exactly?

.....It didn't melt their computer?
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Saw Plumbella's review...Aliens are masks...No new traits.Half unlocking clothes AGAIN?.No! Horrible Kylo Ren textured mask. Can't make those aliens. Flying is a rabbit hole, most places in Batuu are a semi-rabbit hole OH and the world is half set dressing .....

FAIL!

They also disabled the “flirt” options for named characters, so no romantic relationships at all.

WOW! OKAY....>.> Shame on you gurus.

FAIL!

WOW....that’s even worse than I expected. Sounds like a complete failure.
    I feel bad for anybody who was hyping this...

No wonder there was no livestream...

FAIL!

No livestream confirmed?!

FAIL!

They’d have to be totally shameless at this point. Pack sounds like it was a disaster...

FAIL!

They’d have to be totally shameless at this point. Pack sounds like it was a disaster...

Oh. *disappointed* Well, I still think they'll end up doing one.

FAIL!

Oh. *disappointed* Well, I still think they'll end up doing one.

If the game changers are even trashing the pack, then I can’t imagine how bad the comments in a livestream would be....
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2020
    If we had allowed the creation of apartment buildings from Build/Buy, we would not have been able to achieve the look we were going for.
    https://simsvip.com/2016/09/21/sims-4-city-living-simgurueugi-explains-apartment-limitations/

Which will never not be a load of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I'm so sick of everything in this game being about their vision. Just like the controllable pets and doghouse excuse. Literally nobody cares. We're playing this game to do things our way, not theirs.

FAIL!

Was anyone actually expecting the Star Wars aliens to be new life states? Or for any real expansion on the alien life stat we already have? Much like the pack itself, I saw this coming from a mile away.
    Post edited by Aquarius94 on
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    AHAHAHA they are so scared from the backlash that they don't do a livestream ALSO it's so bad there isn't anything to do.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2020

FAIL!

Wait, are you serious!? They give your spawn a whole exclusive trait as the result of a sim banging Santa Clause but you can't flirt with Kylo or Rey?
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »

FAIL!

Wait, are you serious!? They give your spawn a whole exclusive trait as the result of a sim banging Santa Clause but you can't flirt with Kylo or Rey?
    Yep