Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Jerrello wrote: »
    The sims team knew we didn't want the pack. It was a money move..and that will always trump want the community wants. They don't care, their just betting on us buying it regardless.

I think it was just as much a passion project. There are many on the dev team who are Star Wars fans.

I think so too. The devs seems pretty excited. I think that's a good thing -- I like it when people work on things that they think are cool.

Considering how many not-so-subtly hidden Star Wars references there are in Sims 4, I’d think being able to be so open about this pack was probably the highlight of their lives or something.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2020
    Why? Cause nobody asked for it that's why. Most simmers where hoping this pack to be anything else other than star wars. Hell, even the people who like star wars didn't ask for this pack. In fact it was one of those most unwanted packs ever. And that's the issue here: EA keeps giving packs nobody wants or asked for. I hear more about baby fixes and farming than star wars even that is still slime since I'm not here as much as I use to but I know that's what a lot players seem to want.
    giphy.gif

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Why? Cause nobody asked for it that's why. Most simmers where hoping this pack to be anything else other than star wars. Hell, even the people who like star wars didn't ask for this pack. In fact it was one of those most unwanted packs ever. And that's the issue here: EA keeps giving packs nobody wants or asked for. I hear more about baby fixes and farming than star wars even that is still slime since I'm not here as much as I use to but I know that's what a lot players seem to want.

I can tell you that in one of these threads there were at least four of us who openly admitted to having requested Star Wars in last year's survey when they asked what brands players were interested in seeing in the game.

It's highly possible that it was more requested than people realize, since no one sees the results of the surveys but Maxis and EA. It wouldn't even have to have been a "majority" interest, but enough to warrant it deserving of a game pack. GPs are always niche and experimental so why not? Leave the regular stuff to EPs and base game patches.
    #Team Occult
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Jerrello wrote: »
    The sims team knew we didn't want the pack. It was a money move..and that will always trump want the community wants. They don't care, their just betting on us buying it regardless.

I think it was just as much a passion project. There are many on the dev team who are Star Wars fans.

I do have to give them credit if it was a passion project, I imagine the team who worked on the pack are pretty pleased with themselves, despite the backlash they have received. Even though I'm not entirely behind a StarWars pack, I wouldn't have minded a generic sci-fi pack with references to the greats of sci-fi, actually, I would have loved if instead of StarWars this pack was a tie-in with Mass Effect.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    All power to the devs if this is indeed a passion project for them. They don't owe us anything.

However, it IS a deliberate choice to do the exact opposite of what the vast majority of players want. The fact that several gurus seems surprised by the reaction is telling, since it beyond a doubt shows they don't actually pay attention to what the players want.
    Also, even more suspicious is the fact that it is indeed modeled after an amusement park, not after say Alderaan in the movies, and that all the characters are from the far less popular new movies.
    This whole thing, passion project or no, reads like a product placement by Disney. I mean the Gurus have even been on site taking photos of the park. In other words it should have been a free update paid by Disney. As it is now not only is it a pack a majority never wanted, but it is in reality a big comercial that the players are paying for the honor of being made to watch.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • TyrAVBTyrAVB Posts: 53 Member
    > Also no offence but the community votes for the worst possible packs. you guys did vote for laundry day and knitting

Because it makes sense. Sims concept at it's very core is real life simulation game, therefor however you play it that includes everyday stuff and it's a big part of your ingame activities. And people love it - that very basic concept, even with embellishing fantasy elements like alien abductions, cow plants or vampires that are there to give more variety but are still icing to a cake that doesn't really clash with that basic concept. People who doesn't love that very basic concept of that game - everyday activities and real life simulation, simply does not play this game. They play other games.

Someone could argue that Star Wars theme is also that, just another embellishment, another variety, but it's hardly true because unlike other fantasy elements, it comes from very different world, science fiction world, and science fiction at it's own very core is very different concept. Science fiction themed games are full of action and different stuff that does not include everyday living - because of obvious reasons. Science fiction fans does not like to play the game where their hero character does dishes, go to toilet, do laundry or do gardening. And that's where the problem lies with this pack. Their very base concepts - science fiction concept and real life simulation concept clashes. Big time. I don't want to watch my galaxy saving character going to toilet few times a day. Science fiction is different set of mind and it almost never include mundane things, if so only in occasional detail that is for humor purposes, not the very basic element around which other things evolve.

Science fiction should be left in it's own genre, just as life simulation. Because thay make a bad couple. If that coupling were a good thing, we would already have numerous games where jedis do dishes to gain points.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    TyrAVB wrote: »
    > Also no offence but the community votes for the worst possible packs. you guys did vote for laundry day and knitting

Because it makes sense. Sims concept at it's very core is real life simulation game, therefor however you play it that includes everyday stuff and it's a big part of your ingame activities. And people love it - that very basic concept, even with embellishing fantasy elements like alien abductions, cow plants or vampires that are there to give more variety but are still icing to a cake that doesn't really clash with that basic concept. People who doesn't love that very basic concept of that game - everyday activities and real life simulation, simply does not play this game. They play other games.

Someone could argue that Star Wars theme is also that, just another embellishment, another variety, but it's hardly true because unlike other fantasy elements, it comes from very different world, science fiction world, and science fiction at it's own very core is very different concept. Science fiction themed games are full of action and different stuff that does not include everyday living - because of obvious reasons. Science fiction fans does not like to play the game where their hero character does dishes, go to toilet, do laundry or do gardening. And that's where the problem lies with this pack. Their very base concepts - science fiction concept and real life simulation concept clashes. Big time. I don't want to watch my galaxy saving character going to toilet few times a day. Science fiction is different set of mind and it almost never include mundane things, if so only in occasional detail that is for humor purposes, not the very basic element around which other things evolve.

Science fiction should be left in it's own genre, just as life simulation. Because thay make a bad couple. If that coupling were a good thing, we would already have numerous games where jedis do dishes to gain points.

I don't think this is necessarily true... aren't aliens and cow plants considered science fiction and not fantasy? Wasn't there an entire time travel pack for the Sims 3? Doesn't Startrek include a lot of mundane things but in space? You could argue that fantasy is not compatible with the sims for the same reason, most fantasy games are action packed rpgs. And if you read the forums there are a lot of Sci-fi on here meaning they are playing both types of games.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Spouse and I are both nuts with eagerness over it, dunno /can't imagine why people are complaining. Seems to me the most awesome thing since Vampires.

And as with vampires, the big question I have for those who hate the idea is: if you hate it, don't buy it! It's not complicated. Don't want Star Wars characters in your game, breaking your immersion? Skip that pack!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Cause the game is in no way complete after 6 years. We still don't have important things and Star wars is the last thing as need.
    If the Sims 4 was an awesome, full game then this would be more acceptable. But in its state right now we just want other things.

What important things? Better babies? Bunkbeds? Do you think such things should be locked behind a game or expansion pack? I think they should be added to the base game.

The only other thing I see the vocal majority asking for that would be a pack is farming/horses. Things missing from base game are NOT things we should be getting in packs. Theme wise for packs, what one person craves and thinks is 'important' is completely irrelevant and a waste of a pack to someone else.

This is a waste of a pack to almost everyone

Maybe we need a show of hands, then, for all the people who want more action, who want superheroes, who LOVE the Star Wars franchise, who are thrilled about this, and then to re-ask why, if someone hates a pack, can't they just not buy it, and let those of us who want to buy it and enjoy it, be happy about that? Nobody made me ultimately decide to get the knitting pack (it was the metal station, tbh) or the Laundry Day one... I couldn't grasp why anyone would like those, either, but having bought them eventually, I can either use them or not: luckily for me, I can have Sims whose laundry needs are taken care of without having to go through the hassle of DOING it, just by not buying a hamper. Wish I could do that irl.

But...it's fine to have different opinions, it really is. But I don't agree that "almost everyone" hates the idea of the Star Wars-themed pack. What I see is that those who object to those of us who do like the idea, are more vocal about that. In fact it was the negative blowback on YouTube that so startled me and Spouse, that made me come back here to see, to try to understand, because from my perspective, how could anyone be anything but as happy and we are, over it?

:) human nature to universalize our own experiences, and I'm no sagacious exception, learning all the time. Another good reason for this forum.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member

And as with vampires, the big question I have for those who hate the idea is: if you hate it, don't buy it! It's not complicated. Don't want Star Wars characters in your game, breaking your immersion? Skip that pack!

I might have gotten vampires just cause of bb items 😬
    And I may or may not have killed Vlad over and over everytime I make a new save 🙄
    Latest save I didn’t have to do anything though, my sim was just taking a bath in her apartment and suddenly Grim appeared downstairs and Vlad was in an urn behind him.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Cause the game is in no way complete after 6 years. We still don't have important things and Star wars is the last thing as need.
    If the Sims 4 was an awesome, full game then this would be more acceptable. But in its state right now we just want other things.

What important things? Better babies? Bunkbeds? Do you think such things should be locked behind a game or expansion pack? I think they should be added to the base game.

The only other thing I see the vocal majority asking for that would be a pack is farming/horses. Things missing from base game are NOT things we should be getting in packs. Theme wise for packs, what one person craves and thinks is 'important' is completely irrelevant and a waste of a pack to someone else.

This is a waste of a pack to almost everyone

Maybe we need a show of hands, then, for all the people who want more action, who want superheroes, who LOVE the Star Wars franchise, who are thrilled about this, and then to re-ask why, if someone hates a pack, can't they just not buy it, and let those of us who want to buy it and enjoy it, be happy about that? Nobody made me ultimately decide to get the knitting pack (it was the metal station, tbh) or the Laundry Day one... I couldn't grasp why anyone would like those, either, but having bought them eventually, I can either use them or not: luckily for me, I can have Sims whose laundry needs are taken care of without having to go through the hassle of DOING it, just by not buying a hamper. Wish I could do that irl.

But...it's fine to have different opinions, it really is. But I don't agree that "almost everyone" hates the idea of the Star Wars-themed pack. What I see is that those who object to those of us who do like the idea, are more vocal about that. In fact it was the negative blowback on YouTube that so startled me and Spouse, that made me come back here to see, to try to understand, because from my perspective, how could anyone be anything but as happy and we are, over it?

:) human nature to universalize our own experiences, and I'm no sagacious exception, learning all the time. Another good reason for this forum.

I don't necessarily want more action, I definitely fall closer to the realism side of things, but I did like World Adventures and plan to get Jungle Adventures as well. It's the supernaturals I'm not really into, so at first glance this didn't really appeal to me because it really does break the immersion if you like realistic game play and you have all these weird creatures roaming around.
    Once I found out it was a theme park however that assuaged any objections I had because I'm a huge Star wars fan...and don't mind the thought of having a fun place to send my Sims for a fun little vacation.

Of course it's not going to stop storm troopers from roaming around the streets of Newcrest, but they won't be any more annoying than the bear suit, or any of the other ridiculous outfits NPC's run around in.
    The other thing that has me intrigued is the possibility that LucasFilm may have added resources of their own to the project, plus the fact that I'm fairly certain Dave Filoni's group has final say on all things branded Star Wars...it has me very curious indeed

First pack in a while that's piqued my interest.

• HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    First pack in a while that's piqued my interest.

Mine too. I've been a little apathetic about the last few packs. Bought them because eh, they had things I liked/wanted to try/was sort of interested in.

But then the rumors started on this one, and I started paying attention more. And then we got the trailer, and I was all WHOOHOO!!
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    Spouse and I are both nuts with eagerness over it, dunno /can't imagine why people are complaining. Seems to me the most awesome thing since Vampires.

Please consider the following:

You're a huge Star Wars fan, right? (Or a fan of whatever franchise that you really love.) You're eagerly awaiting the next installment. It's been years since they released anything that you really enjoyed. Yet, you're still waiting to see the return of what made you fall in love with the series in the first place.

The trailer finally drops and you realize that the next entry in your beloved franchise is all about... The Sims. That includes Nancy Landgraab, Bob and Eliza Pancakes, and the entire Spencer-Kim-Lewis clan. Also, talking toilets, and scene after scene of U.S. suburbia.

You had high hopes for the next installment of your beloved franchise and even higher expectations. Yet, nothing in the new release resembles what you knew that franchise to be.

What would be your response be after your years-long wait?

1. "Meh, This isn't what I was expecting but I'll roll with it."

2. "I love the Sims, this is exactly what I was waiting to see in the Star Wars (or other) franchise!!"

3. "I love the Sims, but what the heck is this crap? This isn't So-and-So. If I wanted the Sims, I wouldn't have gone and played the Sims!!!"

The answer is very subjective. Yet, I have a feeling that if the Sims had taken over the next installment to the Star Wars universe, most of the fandom would have lost their ish. Others might have been in shock, believing that the new installment is ridiculous, disruptive, and destructive to the series. A few might have been okay with it, but I'm pretty sure the majority would have been seething with anger and/or disappointment.

If you can picture that scenario, you might be able to understand exactly what's been happening in the Sims community this week.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    This pack is awful. Theres no if's and's or buts about it. 98 percent of the world is just fake. And theres no new lifestates or voices to match the new characters, just costumes. Oh and very little meaningful gameplay. Im not buying this. Nearly 0 effort went into this.

Im one of those people who think this year has nice content , other than this one. Mundane, yes. But not bad content, until now. This is trash.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    That pack is logical, we got the star wars dress up pack since the base game. I expected a such following. The sims 4 devs seems obsessed by the show. I am for everything aliens, I am glad the gurus worked on something special and new, I won't complain because I am tired of complaining.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Well the hate is justified this pack IS INDEED awful.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    It doesn't seem like a passion project to me, because I watched Plumbella's review, and the gameplay wasn't done well at all. If they had been passionate about this, they would've made it fun at least
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    How is it a passion project? Does this seem like a great deal of passion to you?

-empty, fake world

-checklist of chores , passed off as gameplay

-the new creatures are just regular sims in bodysuits. dont even have cool voices.

-the only reward is a light saber

-rabbitholes and 1 bar

-the spaceship is also a boring rabbithole

- even if this game pack was slightly better, its still star wars , which doesnt belong in the sims.

This should have been a stuff pack and NOT included the poor excuse of a "world" , since its already a useless one anyway.
  • Stayc615Stayc615 Posts: 37 Member
    I first want to say that this isn't my kind of pack. However I'm happy for those who have this play style. That being said, no I won't be buying this pack. Yes I wish it was something else. But will I rain on some else's parade because I didn't get what I wanted? No.

I have a theory though on why this pack is not as well-received as the gurus had hoped. With the cluster show that 2020 has been, people wanted a GP that would really wow us. Whether it be farming, a destination pack or a winter pack, we (the general we) had hoped for something that was on our wishlist. To have one thing be in our favor this year.

I don't know. It's just a theory. Packs that I don't care for usually don't get me down like this. But all the fighting, finger pointing, name calling and everyone playing the blame game, it's just tiring now.
    How is it a passion project? Does this seem like a great deal of passion to you?

-empty, fake world

-checklist of chores , passed off as gameplay

-the new creatures are just regular sims in bodysuits. dont even have cool voices.

-the only reward is a light saber

-rabbitholes and 1 bar

-the spaceship is also a boring rabbithole

- even if this game pack was slightly better, its still star wars , which doesnt belong in the sims.

This should have been a stuff pack and NOT included the poor excuse of a "world" , since its already a useless one anyway.

I'll let you know after I play it. :)
    #Team Occult
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

You're a huge Star Wars fan, right? (Or a fan of whatever franchise that you really love.) You're eagerly awaiting the next installment. It's been years since they released anything that you really enjoyed. Yet, you're still waiting to see the return of what made you fall in love with the series in the first place.

The trailer finally drops and you realize that the next entry in your beloved franchise is all about... The Sims. That includes Nancy Landgraab, Bob and Eliza Pancakes, and the entire Spencer-Kim-Lewis clan. Also, talking toilets, and scene after scene of U.S. suburbia.

You had high hopes for the next installment of your beloved franchise and even higher expectations. Yet, nothing in the new release resembles what you knew that franchise to be.

2. "I love the Sims, this is exactly what I was waiting to see in the Star Wars (or other) franchise!!"

3. "I love the Sims, but what the heck is this 🌺🌺🌺🌺? This isn't So-and-So. If I wanted the Sims, I wouldn't have gone and played the Sims!!!"

The answer is very subjective. Yet, I have a feeling that if the Sims had taken over the next installment to the Star Wars universe, most of the fandom would have lost their ish. Others might have been in shock, believing that the new installment is ridiculous, disruptive, and destructive to the series. A few might have been okay with it, but I'm pretty sure the majority would have been seething with anger and/or disappointment.

If you can picture that scenario, you might be able to understand exactly what's been happening in the Sims community this week.

hands down this is THE best comment I've seen about the pack in any thread.
    Thank you for summing it up like this
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    Shinzen wrote: »

3. "I love the Sims, but what the heck is this 🌺🌺🌺🌺? This isn't So-and-So. If I wanted the Sims, I wouldn't have gone and played the Sims!!!"

hands down this is THE best comment I've seen about the pack in any thread.
    Thank you for summing it up like this

That's really not what this is like, though.

The Sims is single-player, and the pack is optional. So if you don't want this in The Sims, it doesn't have to be in your game. The existence of this pack doesn't make the Sims into Star Wars any more than the existence of a farming pack would make everyone have to play The Sims as a farm simulator.

This is not like the next Star Wars movie being a Sims crossover. It's like ... okay, back in the day there were a ton of Star Trek tie-in novels, continuing the story of the characters, adding new characters, etc. There were also a couple of crossover novels where the Next Generation crew met the X-Men. If you didn't read those novels, it did not change anything about the Star Trek universe at all. If you wanted that, there it was. If you didn't, you didn't have to buy or read those books.
    > @LiELF said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I'll let you know after I play it. :)

I dont need to buy it, its already obvious how little this pack has to offer :)

I totally get that, I do. Star Wars is indeed very specific and most definitely a prominent brand that seems a strange pairing to make.

But I still think that what players need to realize is that Sims 4 is also very experimental (in addition to being a life simulator), and the Game Packs specifically cater to that. I've learned in my Sims 4 journey to anticipate GPs more than any other pack type because those are the ones that actually contain the content that I favor, while EPs cover the standard themes and the more universal gameplay, as per usual. GPs are the "niche" content, kind of like what the Sims 3 store had, and includes the kind of gameplay that suits particular preferences and can be skipped if needed.

Meanwhile, things that add to the base game or fix some of the core issues like skin tones or babies or new emotions, etc. would be covered in the free patches. So none of those things should have been anticipated to be in a GP anyway.

I think that some of us older iteration players just have a hard time with change sometimes. I'm not saying I love all of the decisions made in TS4, because I certainly don't, and I really want, more than anything, for more base game patches and fixes and deeper content to fully flesh out the actual Sims. But when I say "change", I'm referring more to the pack structures and themes and newer ideas.

Basically, Game Packs were never meant to be for everyone. They're intended to offer gameplay to more niche and minority play styles so every player can have something that they enjoy. I don't think that, in itself, is a bad thing. Because as far as these themes go, Vampires, RoM, Jungle Adventure, StrangerVille, and, most likely, Star Wars, are some my favorite packs in the whole franchise. I just need that deeper gameplay structure to make them complete.
    #Team Occult
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited September 2020

I totally get that, I do. Star Wars is indeed very specific and most definitely a prominent brand that seems a strange pairing to make.

But I still think that what players need to realize is that Sims 4 is also very experimental (in addition to being a life simulator), and the Game Packs specifically cater to that. I've learned in my Sims 4 journey to anticipate GPs more than any other pack type because those are the ones that actually contain the content that I favor, while EPs cover the standard themes and the more universal gameplay, as per usual. GPs are the "niche" content, kind of like what the Sims 3 store had, and includes the kind of gameplay that suits particular preferences and can be skipped if needed.

Meanwhile, things that add to the base game or fix some of the core issues like skin tones or babies or new emotions, etc. would be covered in the free patches. So none of those things should have been anticipated to be in a GP anyway.

I think that some of us older iteration players just have a hard time with change sometimes. I'm not saying I love all of the decisions made in TS4, because I certainly don't, and I really want, more than anything, for more base game patches and fixes and deeper content to fully flesh out the actual Sims. But when I say "change", I'm referring more to the pack structures and themes and newer ideas.

Basically, Game Packs were never meant to be for everyone. They're intended to offer gameplay to more niche and minority play styles so every player can have something that they enjoy. I don't think that, in itself, is a bad thing. Because as far as these themes go, Vampires, RoM, Jungle Adventure, StrangerVille, and, most likely, Star Wars, are some my favorite packs in the whole franchise. I just need that deeper gameplay structure to make them complete.

Agreed. And though I'm not looking forward to this GP as much as I was yesterday, it is not because of the risks taken and I wouldn't want to send the message to the devs that it's because there's no market for this kind of game style.

If anybody asked me again today whether I want a Star Wars pack or a sci-fi pack (or just any adventure and occult), the answer is still yes.

I do enjoy watching my explorers go to the bathroom and figuring out how to adapt to filling their needs in extreme circumstances. I enjoy my occults raising a kid and going to school and making a meal.

My criticisms with TS4 are still the same. I do want better gameplay, that's it. If the pack announced had been winter resort (which I also want) but then they'd shown me a mountain you can't interact with, a purely decorative sled and rabbit hole skiing, I would be feeling the same way I am today: disappointed but not surprised lol.