Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Gurus claimed it was their idea that they created the star war pack, not EA?

Comments

• username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    Just because the sims is a life simulation. By no means , limits or even defines it as a game based on “REALITY” . Or the life YOU live! That’s a big mistake in thinking. The sims has always , always been sort of a spoof of real life , in fact. I don’t ever want some super serious , humorless sims game . No thanks !
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Just because the sims is a life simulation. By no means , limits or even defines it as a game based on “REALITY” . Or the life YOU live! That’s a big mistake in thinking. The sims has always , always been sort of a spoof of real life , in fact. I don’t ever want some super serious , humorless sims game . No thanks !
    True the series is both. Sims has always been a mix of fantasy and reality. Never been about just one thing and what I like most about it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

The Sims have never been serious though? I love the humor in TS1 and TS2 <3 Wish they'd go back to that.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

The Sims have never been serious though? I love the humor in TS1 and TS2 <3 Wish they'd go back to that.
    I do too. Dark humor is my favorite kind of humor.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

*Players = pit fighting.*

I must say I’m already enjoying this pack to the fullest. And it’s not even released yet!
    Surely this must be the ultimate Star Wars gameplay experience. We’re already playing the game and folks don’t even realize it. 🚀
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    There is something off about she admitting that this pack was her idea all along.

Guess we need it one more time.

SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Actually she specifically says she decided it was a good idea. And she’s super excited about it.

In answer to the question who decided it was a good idea? She responds: “Me, I decided it was a good idea”

So as GM of the Sims she has power. She could have pushed back but she decided it was a good model for this pack. She admits it herself.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    There is something off about she admitting that this pack was her idea all along.

SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

Again, it was her decision, even if it's not her idea
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't know... I kind of don't believe this... or I think she is leaving out the details.... but that's just my opinion. I still think there was someone bigger behind this one like Disney or whoever.

I agree with this one. I think maybe Lyndsey was the one to give it the green light for it to be a Sims pack but I still feel it was a Disney/EA driven idea in the first place. Probably handed down to the Sims team for Lyndsey to give a yes or no, and since there isn't anything at all really for sci-fi fans within the Sims 4, it makes sense that they can fill that gap.

Not to say they're not working on other stuff alongside, of course because they clearly are. But at least it does fill a very obvious gap for sci-fi fans and that seems reasonable, to me at least <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    Exactly Cinebar.

Also SG lyndsay wanted freed and or better Babies. It didn’t happen because Grant said no.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member

Agreed!

I have this deep-seated fear that the next community voted stuff pack (if there ever is another one) will be vacuuming and dusting...
    ... or needlepoint and crocheting,
    ... or painting fingernails and bedazzling jean jackets.

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

Agreed!

I have this deep-seated fear that the next community voted stuff pack (if there ever is another one) will be vacuuming and dusting...
    ... or needlepoint and crocheting,
    ... or painting fingernails and bedazzling jean jackets.

To be fair, the choices are always lame. Laundry was set up to win and it was no secret that Graham had been dying to do a Laundry pack.
    Put laundry in with a theme like eco living (which should never have happened) and against three other themes, the vote would split and laundry would win.

Even in knitting, I voted for arts and crafts but not knitting. But arts and crafts was the best of a bad bunch. Technology, smaller microscopes, healthy living were all horrible themes. (And trying to sell us a smaller microscope? No. That should be free)

I love the humour of the early games. It’s why I still play them. But I hate he childish humor of the sims 4 more. “Ooh look my sim is angry because the painting made him so, better go take an angry poop!”

No. Just no.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2020

The question:

The answer:

She decided it was a good idea. Deciding something implies she was the one who gave that idea green light, she didn't just sit there and thought oh this is a nice idea. Hence the short response "me" when the question literally said "Who do we talk to , to get the content we have been asking for , for 6 years?" Her, apparently.

I think the devs/simgurus have a lot more to say than many apparently seem to think they do. Which is fine by me btw (and NOT a reason to harrass them), but I really think they do.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

The question:

The answer:

Again, it was her decision, even if it's not her idea

Yes. I believe that she green-lighted it and said "let's go" :)

The person I responded to said "There is something off about she admitting that this pack was her idea all along." and I don't really agree with that.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

The question:

The answer:

She decided it was a good idea. Deciding something implies she was the one who gave that idea green light, she didn't just sit there and thought oh this is a nice idea. Hence the short response "me" when the question literally said "Who do we talk to , to get the content we have been asking for , for 6 years?" Her, apparently.

I think the devs/simgurus have a lot more to say than many apparently seem to think they do. Which is fine by me btw (and NOT a reason to harrass them), but I really think they do.

If this collaboration was requested by EA or Disney, Lindsey probably had no choice but to agree to it and try to make the best pack possible out of the given theme. As manager she had to stand by her team and their product so she took responsibility for the idea. Realistically, there is no reason why a Disney theme park would be a bad idea and not work out in the sims game.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I believe the gurus had the final say, but feel the initial idea was heavily suggested by ea. Still think it was brave of Lyndsay to speak up - no matter who you are, I don't think it's easy to be hated upon, and tbh, some of the comments are really cruel (and no, I don't agree it was a good choice).

From what I've seen due to this controversy, a surprising amount of simmers seem to like star wars (ofc not in the sims, as shown by that survey). If eaxis was just looking at that data, and not how well SW would integrate into the sims, I can see someone objectively thinking it was a fresh new way to get $$$ and new fans, so therefore a good idea.

Of course, they didn't bring into account what non-sims star wars fans would be after (open world, combat, storytelling etc), and what current sims fans are after (realism, non-branded occults, bug fixes etc).

The question:

The answer:

People believe EA tell gurus what to do. Even though it’s been said by Grant and even lyndsay at one point that they have a lot of creative freedom. The reason we don’t have freed babies is because of Grant. We don’t have dog houses because of Grant, not some corporate big wig in a board room.

Even now Lyndsay has taken ownership people don’t believe she’s being truthful and are looking to blame an unknown faceless member of EA. (And EA are a lot of very bad things so I can believe they said “Do a Star Wars pack cause $$$ and we need to make back what we lost on our failed SW game!” But she decided it was a good idea and went with it.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I don't know... I kind of don't believe this... or I think she is leaving out the details.... but that's just my opinion. I still think there was someone bigger behind this one like Disney or whoever.

This is what I think too. I think EA purposely started the SimGuru thing and made the devs the face of The Sims. That way when all these awful decisions for The Sims come up, the SimGurus get blamed instead of EA. I mean, what is the purpose of the SimGurus other than to take a bullet for EA? None of the other game studios anywhere do this.

I still believe that EA and Disney struck a deal and the SimGurus are stepping in to deflect anger from these two corporations. I also don't think the SimGurus are doing this because they love their EA taskmasters. It's part of their job and they are being well-compensated for it.

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

The question:

The answer:

If this collaboration was requested by EA or Disney, Lindsey probably had no choice but to agree to it and try to make the best pack possible out of the given theme. As manager she had to stand by her team and their product so she took responsibility for the idea. Realistically, there is no reason why a Disney theme park would be a bad idea and not work out in the sims game.

Are we back on this? Lindsay is an executive within Maxis. She is the general manager of the Sims. She has leverage and negotiating power because she is supposed to know her brand, her franchise and her customers. If anyone “requested” a thinly veiled advertisement masquerading as a $20 game pack she literally could have negotiated better terms for what it would be. The whole idea that the GM of the Sims has zero say whatsoever in what they do just doesn’t work. They’ve went through the process with players and we see they definitely do pick exactly what they want to make.
    The Gurus are EA. Also they don’t have to have an online persona with Sim Guru attached to it. Many of the devs choose not too.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2020

The question:

The answer:

Sorry but that's not what she says, I don't think we have to fill things in for Lindsay. Reading between the lines because we don't believe her? I have no reason not to. She says: "I decided it was a good idea and I'm super excited about it!"

And as for the last statement: players all over the world just saw an icon and started screaming they thought it was a bad idea.

@MidnightAura Yes, apparently lol
    5JZ57S6.png

The question:

The answer:

Sorry but that's not what she says, I don't think we have to fill things in for Lindsay. Reading between the lines because we don't believe her? I have no reason not to. She says: "I decided it was a good idea and I'm super excited about it!"

And as for the last statement: players all over the world just saw an icon and started screaming they thought it was a bad idea.

@MidnightAura Yes, apparently lol

We are to believe the devs when they say they can’t make this object as it’s too expensive and animation is too hard, but we don’t believe them when they say they decided the theme of the pack.